PDA

View Full Version : The Stupid In-Game Rumors Thread

CanonicalKoi
03-17-2011, 03:19 PM
C'mon, we've all heard them. Somebody runs around spreading a rumor and it spreads like wildfire. Here's just a few:

1. As a level, say, 20, you'll get more XP by trying to play in the Sewers than you would in AO1. (Sorry, there's an XP cap. If the threat level on an enemy is red, you get the highest amount of XP, it doesn't matter if the map is 8 or whatever levels "above" you or 20.)

2. Gathering massive numbers of people into a Towne will cause a Dev to arrive and shower everyone with goodies. (To the best of my knowledge not true.)

3. That if you fight Vyxnaar X number of times, you're assured of getting a Vyx helm. (Still a random drop. Might get it from one fight. Might take a thousand.)

4. That, as a level 4, uttering the magic words, "Please don't boot" will cause you to not be booted from the Bandit Stronghold. (Generally, I don't boot. I will advise you of truth of rumor 1 and let your conscious be your guide. If that doesn't work, you'll either be really lonely really fast or I'll bring you some "friends" to play with.)

5. That standing on a fire grate and letting yourself get blown off is good luck. (Okay, maybe only I spread that one. ;) )

Those are all I can think of off the top of my head. Feel free to add away.

Echelong
03-17-2011, 03:33 PM
5. That standing on a fire grate and letting yourself get blown off is good luck. (Okay, maybe only I spread that one. ;) )

This is true just ask Mitsu... depending on x number of deaths and if the bosses dropped all oranges might increase your chances of getting a pink. But it has to be a bird. :-)

Kossi
03-17-2011, 03:34 PM
C'mon, we've all heard them. Somebody runs around spreading a rumor and it spreads like wildfire. Here's just a few:

1. As a level, say, 20, you'll get more XP by trying to play in the Sewers than you would in AO1. (Sorry, there's an XP cap. If the threat level on an enemy is red, you get the highest amount of XP, it doesn't matter if the map is 8 or whatever levels "above" you or 20.)

2. Gathering massive numbers of people into a Towne will cause a Dev to arrive and shower everyone with goodies. (To the best of my knowledge not true.)

3. That if you fight Vyxnaar X number of times, you're assured of getting a Vyx helm. (Still a random drop. Might get it from one fight. Might take a thousand.)

4. That, as a level 4, uttering the magic words, "Please don't boot" will cause you to not be booted from the Bandit Stronghold. (Generally, I don't boot. I will advise you of truth of rumor 1 and let your conscious be your guide. If that doesn't work, you'll either be really lonely really fast or I'll bring you some "friends" to play with.)

#1 well said.
#2, you cant gather mass number of people in a towne, well, not more than 25 ;D
#3 is common knowledge
#4 lol idk who would believe that
#5 THIS SEEMS BELIEVEABLE IMA GO TRY IT :D

Kossi
03-17-2011, 03:36 PM
oh, and saying "pretzel" before you kill a boss in the sarcophagus guarantees you a purple or pink 100% of the time

(worked with me :))

Lysdexic
03-17-2011, 03:51 PM
I really like the "don't use Magic Shield when fighting the Keeper because it makes him use it more".

Idgets :(

Moogerfooger
03-17-2011, 04:19 PM
A new one I've seen lately is "Kill the Bandit Queen before the King, you get better drops". Highly doubtful, as devs have said that drops are totally random (or chances slightly boosted by luck elixirs/Big Luck).

Echelong
03-17-2011, 04:22 PM
A new one I've seen lately is "Kill the Bandit Queen first, you get better drops". Highly doubtful, as devs have said that drops are totally random (or chances slightly boosted by luck elixirs/Big Luck).

yeah we tried that. It could be though WoW had a set of 3 bosses that dropped the loot depending on the order you killed them on AQ20 I think. But PL is a lot different so we may never know, but from our runs its highly unlikely.

MITSUISUN
03-17-2011, 04:22 PM
This is true just ask Mitsu... depending on x number of deaths and if the bosses dropped all oranges might increase your chances of getting a pink. But it has to be a bird. :-)

Oh Ech, why you have to set up the stage for me like this. It’s embarrassing to talk about how often I get crated>fire pit>fire pit>fire pit and find myself back to the beginning of Stronghold where we just left less than 20 secs ago. Fly like a G-bird, then quietly press respawn and not ask for res.

I think Moog simply put it the best:
“Just for the record....my tanking had nothing to do with Mits dying on those runs last night...he has a knack of dying even if Elly and I are both there tanking. The boy is drawn to firetraps like a fat kid to cupcakes.” (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?21071-Pink-Drop-rates/page6)

Intentional fire pit death doesn’t count. You gotta work it, run it and earn the fire deaths just as how you run every BS maps with exp pot. To raise the level of pinkness, you need 3 fire bird deaths, nothing more, just 3. If more than 3, it resets. Then you ask yourself if you are feeling lucky, do you smell the pink in the air (or just burned birds) and call it out loud in chat.

So the more birds in the party, the better so can share death, or you simply, die like a Mits :p

I haven’t bought a pink in CS since lv50 death set, just saying.

CanonicalKoi
03-17-2011, 04:39 PM
A new one I've seen lately is "Kill the Bandit Queen before the King, you get better drops". Highly doubtful, as devs have said that drops are totally random (or chances slightly boosted by luck elixirs/Big Luck).

Ooh, forgot that one. The version I heard was if you kill King first, you'll get Int drops. Queen first and you get Str drops. Does not seem to work that way, no.

And Mits, the luckiest ones are where you get pin-balled. So far, my record is three grates. One blew pushed me to the next just as it blew and, in spite of already being fatally dead, shoved me into a third which blew. Covered most of the real estate in the "big room" at the start. I did get a pink, tho. :)

Kalielle
03-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Oh I love this thread - if only I could remember all the rumors I heard. Here are some:

Regarding getting pinks, that you get more pinks if:
- you are wearing pinks already
- you are NOT wearing pinks/don't have any in your inventory
- you say Pink/name of the item just before killing boss (people remember the one time it did work, and ignore the 100 times when someone is shouting pink pink pls pls pink pink me etc etc the entire time instead of fighting...)
- you are not using any elixirs (that's a new one! heard it last week)
- you are host
- you are NOT host
- you do a little happy dance as you are killing boss (yeah, try doing the celebrate emote while killing goldfever... I'm sure your party members will appreciate it ;)).

That being said, there's also one time when I dismissed a rumor too soon. Shortly after AO3 came out Xom was telling me he noticed that rare pinks only seem to drop if there's a high level in the party. I was like, oh come on I can't believe you're starting to fall for such things too. Months and months later when Badtee noticed AO loot scaling (a while before the forum did) and told me about it, I was like - facepalm.

It's taught me to keep my eyes - and my mind - open, even as I'm skeptical about most things I hear.

hawkei
03-17-2011, 04:46 PM
Oh I love this thread - if only I could remember all the rumors I heard. Here are some:

Regarding getting pinks, that you get more pinks if:
- you are wearing pinks already
- you are NOT wearing pinks/don't have any in your inventory
- you say Pink/name of the item just before killing boss (people remember the one time it did work, and ignore the 100 times when someone is shouting pink pink pls pls pink pink me etc etc the entire time instead of fighting...)
- you are not using any elixirs (that's a new one! heard it last week)
- you are host
- you are NOT host
- you do a little happy dance as you are killing boss (yeah, try doing the celebrate emote while killing goldfever... I'm sure your party members will appreciate it ;)).

That being said, there's also one time when I dismissed a rumor too soon. Shortly after AO3 came out Xom was telling me he noticed that rare pinks only seem to drop if there's a high level in the party. I was like, oh come on I can't believe you're starting to fall for such things too. Months and months later when Badtee noticed AO loot scaling (a while before the forum did) and told me about it, I was like - facepalm.

It's taught me to keep my eyes - and my mind - open, even as I'm skeptical about most things I hear.

Tee mad one up today. If you are naked you get a pink. It didn't work of course

Conradin
03-17-2011, 04:51 PM
If everyone in the party wears fiesta sombreros and does te celebrate emote you get a pink...

Arterra
03-17-2011, 04:55 PM
Ooh, forgot that one. The version I heard was if you kill King first, you'll get Int drops. Queen first and you get Str drops. Does not seem to work that way, no.

And Mits, the luckiest ones are where you get pin-balled. So far, my record is three grates. One blew pushed me to the next just as it blew and, in spite of already being fatally dead, shoved me into a third which blew. Covered most of the real estate in the "big room" at the start. I did get a pink, tho. :)

ITS TRUE THEN!!!! everyone, stop fighting! KILL YOURSELVES!

Echelong
03-17-2011, 04:57 PM

LMAO yes it makes the whole party run in panic, even funnier if you follow them. Could get you booted though be warned

Oh Ech, why you have to set up the stage for me like this. It’s embarrassing to talk about how often I get crated>fire pit>fire pit>fire pit and find myself back to the beginning of Stronghold. Fly like a G-bird, then quietly press respawn and not ask for res.

I think Moog simply put it the best:
Just for the record....my tanking had nothing to do with Mits dying on those runs last night...he has a knack of dying even if Elly and I are both there tanking. The boy is drawn to firetraps like a fat kid to cupcakes.

Sorry Mits didn't meant for it to embarrass you lol. Moogs comment made my day.

MITSUISUN
03-17-2011, 05:09 PM
I done that CanonicalKoi and of course, rewarded heh =)
The other night someone was asking me how do I have different sets and switch them in between fights/maps. I didnt know what to say...

Tee mad one up today. If you are naked you get a pink. It didn't work of course
It did for us that night.
He was naked and I was dying. Perfect pink combo.

Australia
03-17-2011, 05:17 PM
Some random said if I send a pic of myself to him in an email, he'd hack the system and make pinks drop more for just me...
SO NATURALLY I TOOK A NUDE AND SENT HIM IT, And sad to say nothing has changed >:(...

Loljks, reported him instantly And sent screenshot, and haven't seen him since :)

Doubletime
03-17-2011, 05:30 PM
Intentional fire pit death doesn't count. You gotta work it, run it and earn the fire deaths just as how you run every BS maps with exp pot. To raise the level of pinkness, you need 3 fire bird deaths, nothing more, just 3. If more than 3, it resets. Then you ask yourself if you are feeling lucky, do you smell the pink in the air (or just burned birds) and call it out loud in chat.

So the more birds in the party, the better so can share death, or you simply, die like a Mits :p

I haven’t bought a pink in CS since lv50 death set, just saying.

When Mits and I run a board together -- a three bird death is almost a guarantee. At a minimum. I have perfected dying like a Mits. :)

KingFu
03-17-2011, 05:43 PM
1) If you shake your iPod up and down upside-down before the boss dies, you'll get a pink (yes, no joke, I have heard this...)

2) Orbs stack, and taking all the orbs in gurgox's lair gives you invincablility.

3) You're not a noob if you were the first to loot the first "blue" kite shield (not even kidding-.-')

4) If you're nice to the devs, they'll somehow make it so you loot a pink.

CanonicalKoi
03-17-2011, 07:09 PM
ITS TRUE THEN!!!! everyone, stop fighting! KILL YOURSELVES!

Arterra, would I spread an untrue rumor? I am insulted you would even think such a thing! ;)

And I can see that Mits, Doubletime and I need to do a run together. Seems we have a similar "style". :)

Arterra
03-17-2011, 07:19 PM
Arterra, would I spread an untrue rumor? I am insulted you would even think such a thing! ;)

And I can see that Mits, Doubletime and I need to do a run together. Seems we have a similar "style". :)

lol i am actually making a point of revving people on top of grates. they better time themselves or move fast if they want to depend on me

Pharcyde
03-17-2011, 07:20 PM
My favorite rumor is that the "real Pharcyde" is lvl 56 ;).

MITSUISUN
03-17-2011, 07:23 PM

Yeshhhh, I found DT and now i found another fire bird!
Game on in 30 mins p

Arterra
03-17-2011, 07:25 PM
Game on in 30 mins p

its on. ill rev you back into hell lol

noobmigo
03-17-2011, 07:37 PM

There's a thing called...Ladies first ;)

Kingofhurtz
03-17-2011, 08:29 PM

When did you come back?! And welcome back!

Nice list btw :)

skavenger216
03-17-2011, 09:30 PM
My favorite rumor is that the "real Pharcyde" is lvl 56 ;).

The pharcyde on my friend list is a 56, what, are you an imposter or something? :D

But yeah, my favorite rumor? "your supposed to stack on people with gold fever when they get it." Never have actually heard it before, but everyone seems to believe it lmao :D

CanonicalKoi
03-17-2011, 10:28 PM
When did you come back?! And welcome back!

Nice list btw :)

I've been around causing havoc, just not on the forums much. But thanks, King! :)

Otukura
03-18-2011, 01:19 AM
I stand on firegrates all the time, I've created games to do it. After dying a bunch with my bird, I started using my mage with mana shield... you move so fast!..!... they slow down, go back, do it again!

I'm not a complete idiot, btw...

CanonicalKoi
03-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Game on in 30 mins p

Saw the message too late. Sad bird. I added you on Rauen if you don't mind playing with another fire magnet.

MITSUISUN
03-18-2011, 04:32 PM
added, join me next =)

Snakespeare
03-18-2011, 05:36 PM
You can get crafting items to drop from Meathead by quoting Princess Bride. "I'm not left-handed" gets you a scrap of cloth, while "never bet with a Sicilian when death is on the line" gets a gladiator gem. But standing over his corspe saying "he's only mostly dead" won't get you anything.

CanonicalKoi
03-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Was playing in BS with some friends. We were joined by a level 35. We try warning him that this isn't really the place to be, but he wants to play (friend running the game doesn't boot). So we decide fine, let's go. Poor guy is dying all over the place, but he keeps respawning and running back. Finally, one of my friends tells him my "it's good luck to stand on a fire grate" theory. Guy says, "I'm not stupid!!" and, a beat later, "Is it really?". And now I know how silly rumors get accepted.

Arterra
04-16-2011, 09:27 PM
Today was my first experience with a guy that truly believed that if you die you don't get pinks.
Don't think I was effective in correcting him. People don't listen to lv50's very often... Damn alt bird.

CanonicalKoi
04-16-2011, 09:51 PM
Good timing in the resurrection of the thread--two more. (And Arterra, it just means you have to play your bird more and level it up. :) )

Today I was informed while playing my baby Mage that the person who opens a chest gets more gold. That would explain why the tank left my Mage tanking the genie...he was busy opening chests.

Not too long before the update, I was in a group doing King and Queen. Mage demands I pull Queen first. All righty, then. But do not, under any circumstances break open any of the chests in the room. 'Kay.... So I do and we kill her. "Now pull the King, but don't break any chests!". I finally had to ask...if you pull both put of the room and don't open *any* chests before opening the reward chest, pinks are guaranteed, he said. To make a long story short, we did all that. *And* waited for the Mage to put on Big Luck. *And* suck a Luck Elixir. And the result? Yellows for everyone. Mage immediately disappeared. :) I didn't get the chance to ask why they need the shamrocks and/or elixir if it was such a sure thing....

Greyhorse
04-17-2011, 12:55 AM
I was told during a CTK PUG "Don't attack the Keeper when his shields are up, it just makes him stronger." Then I watched in disbelief as the whole party just stood around, waiting for his shields to go down.

So I pulled old K'Sarr into a corner and proceeded to keep him pinned while thinking that if I had an extra hand, I could type, "HEY, a little HELP here!?!?!"

*sigh*

Sky../
04-17-2011, 03:29 AM
Fire heals queen

Suntv
04-17-2011, 06:05 AM
I really like the "don't use Magic Shield when fighting the Keeper because it makes him use it more".

Idgets :(

This one's actually true. No mana shield means no shield Keeper, cause he steals it.

Luchta
04-17-2011, 10:29 AM

Sorry I have to disagree on this because it lacks the correct info. The truth is that you need to get blown off trice or what many call the grate of death combo for the luck to register.

Ellyidol
04-17-2011, 10:33 AM
This one's actually true. No mana shield means no shield Keeper, cause he steals it.

I hope you're joking :)

Moogerfooger
04-17-2011, 10:38 AM

I double hope you're joking.

StompArtist
04-18-2011, 06:15 AM

Does fire heal him too?

Ellyidol
04-18-2011, 06:16 AM
Does fire heal him too?

I think mage heals do, because, well, he's a mage too.

StompArtist
04-18-2011, 06:41 AM
I think mage heals do, because, well, he's a mage too.

So the optimal way of killing the keeper is no fire / no heals / no shield / no hitting him while his shield is up.

Ellyidol
04-18-2011, 06:44 AM
So the optimal way of killing the keeper is no fire / no heals / no shield / no hitting him while his shield is up.

Yup I think so.. :)

Lucance
04-18-2011, 06:46 AM

Exactly! Don't forget no use of warrior special skills as those will also cause him to use Mana Shield (sadly been told that multiple times as well).

LordEspe
04-18-2011, 06:53 AM
So if u stare at that keeper long enough, eventually, he will self implode??

StompArtist
04-18-2011, 06:54 AM
So if u stare at that keeper long enough, eventually, he will self implode??

No. You cannot face him.

LordEspe
04-18-2011, 07:03 AM
Ok I'm gonna run CTK, solo, in a few minutes!! I should go in, turn my back, don't usE fire,mana shield, heal! Attack only when his shield is down AND I'm guaranteed an easy kill right!?

I wish I knew all this when I was doing my cyber quests!! :)

CanonicalKoi
04-18-2011, 08:56 AM

While wearing Big Love (to show you care) and preferably while standing on a fire grate (they're a random spawn) on a Tuesday.

I can't count the number of times I've been asked if I have a red hat and to wear it instead of my Corvid Green Beret because it's good luck. Secret members of the Red Hat Society, perhaps?

RueMorgue
04-18-2011, 10:52 AM
I've heard that the devs are......*looks around*.........cyborgs.

kamikazees
04-18-2011, 11:20 AM
Ok I'm gonna run CTK, solo, in a few minutes!! I should go in, turn my back, don't usE fire,mana shield, heal! Attack only when his shield is down AND I'm guaranteed an easy kill right!?

I wish I knew all this when I was doing my cyber quests!! :)
After just finishing the Cyber quests, I officially HATE the Keeper rumors.

Redbridge
04-18-2011, 01:48 PM
I heard the Party Hat means an automatic pink! And disables the Keeper's shield :rolleyes:

and lets you pop balloons

drewcapu
04-18-2011, 02:10 PM
If you have 10 Power Gems in inventory, you now get Power Levelled x 10!!!1!!

csb
06-14-2011, 05:17 PM
I keep hearing this rumor when killing sewer bosses: "Kill him fast or you won't get pinks."

I have had people angry, and quit early because we were killing a boss "too slow, so no pinks". Also, if someone died and got revived, I heard someone say, "now we wont get pinks". So, a death seems to guarantee no pinks will drop.

Although, once when I was in a group, i played my bear badly. I used beckon and accidentally threw Gold Fever out the door resulting in a complete heal/reset. And, after killing him I got a pink Royal Sewer plate. Everyone was mad that I got it, and the negative tells lasted about 30 minutes. But, I guess that breaks the quick kill myth.

Fyrce
06-14-2011, 07:30 PM
LOL, csb. And um, ignore these people. Go find others to play with. These rumors have been around a long time. I used to bump into groups once in awhile, try to tell them differently, but of course, they never believe anyone, even their own eyes.

The game is much better when you run from these people as fast as possible. You can try to teach them, but enduring 30min of nasty tells is NOT how I want to spend my game time. If they don't learn, I leave. There're so many nice people to play with and no nasty tells at all.

DawnInfinity
06-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Man, old thread. Those people are very.. ignorant. Haha. :) My rumor isn't stupid but it's definitely a rumor or misconception. People seem to think that I'm a GoA like all the time, but I'm not. :p I'm flattered that people think so but meh.

NECROREAPER
06-14-2011, 08:52 PM
Maybe it's a sign that you.............. Sould be? (**GASP!!!**)

Lol jk Steph

drewcapu
06-14-2011, 11:36 PM
I'll throw in one that "actually worked" (credit to Zjtd)

We were approaching KQ and Z came up with the idea that you have a better chance to get a pink if you don't hit the chests in the boss room (not counting the one that spawns after both King and Queen have died). In other words, pull each boss out of the room, one at a time.

So, after the usual Queen pull and kill, we pulled the King and killed. Then immediately target the spawned chest.

Guess what? The guy who hit the chest (wasn't me or Z) looted a MM Bracer!

rofl

Otukura
06-14-2011, 11:49 PM
Man, old thread. Those people are very.. ignorant. Haha. :) My rumor isn't stupid but it's definitely a rumor or misconception. People seem to think that I'm a GoA like all the time, but I'm not. :p I'm flattered that people think so but meh.

Well, most of the PL shields we see today are also GoAs....

Raulur
06-15-2011, 12:35 AM
It just blows my mind how some ppl choose to believe the Keeper / Mana Shield rumors, even after you show them just how false it is.

It's as simple as this: The shield is on a timer. When the first person aggros the Keeper, the timer starts. Once that happens, everyone should immediately forget the remaining guards and pour everything they have on the Keeper. If you have a decent party of 4 or 5, you should have no problem killing him before the first shield. I've seen it done easily by a party of three.

Hadesofshadow
09-29-2012, 01:10 AM
kite shields dont drop

(this is to old for most of you)

Multibird
09-29-2012, 03:23 PM
ITS ALL BS and in fact if it does happens, you just got lucky!!