PDA

View Full Version : PL/community shield rarity and specialty

Arterra
03-18-2011, 08:55 PM
I'm probably shooting this fact in the foot for future events, but is it just me or is the community shield more rare than the PL shield now?
seems to me that the community shield's (ideal) purpose would be a sorta mini PL shield: while winners got the grand prize, runner ups get a complimentary (but still awesome) shield for such good efforts.

if the devs do end up making it a community-helping award only though, then is the rarity scale on a different level than the PL one? should it be considered (instead of a sign of achievement like the PL one) as a sign that you are there to help?

Pharcyde
03-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Good point, I was thinking of that earlier. It seems like the more honorable choice of the two to go for now is the Community Shield, as it shows community participation and overall help in the growth of the game, vs. a shield won for a witty contest entry. Don't get me wrong, I still want and love both of them :D.

Junside
03-18-2011, 08:58 PM
I think this should only matter if it was tradable. Otherwise, it's only a commemoration of events. Doesn't signify value in my opinion. Just that you are indeed an important player in the PL community.

Arterra
03-18-2011, 08:59 PM
, I still want and love both of them :D.

is there any current owner of both? sounds like a goal. cant wait for the next non-video related contest lol

Lesrider
03-18-2011, 09:00 PM
Didn't the runners-up of the last contest get Community Shields? I was surprised they gave everyone a PL shield this time.

giayuan
Yeah im with junside. No offense, but I could really care less if I won this shield. I would be extremely honored of course, but its just not my thing. In fact, if it were tradeable, im pretty sure i would sell it o_O

Pharcyde
is there any current owner of both? sounds like a goal. cant wait for the next non-video related contest lol

Yanis, he has 2 community shields and 1 PL shield. He might have gotten even more now if he was one of the runners up in the last event.

Didn't the runners-up of the last contest get Community Shields? I was surprised they gave everyone a PL shield this time.

Especially since this contest was a lot less work intensive to the last one.

Lesrider
03-18-2011, 09:01 PM

I think Kalielle has both, maybe Yanis does as well (or will?)?

Arterra
03-18-2011, 09:05 PM
alright, maybe i see this... based purely on opinion, but makes logical sense...

1) PL shields represent having caught the eyes of PL devs with some interesting contest entry or actions. therefore, they are given the logo to carry around lol idk
2) community shields require a little more work and dedication, a form of giving time to the community :cool: . therefore, you are crowned

...alright i have no real idea on how the devs think. kind of biased anyways.

Pharcyde
03-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Either way, both the shields are ftw, 1337, beast, unique. ;)

Redbridge
03-18-2011, 09:16 PM

Agreed, I was surprised too. I thought the PL shields were a very rare item. I understand the winner getting one and maybe a runner up or two. A very big congrats to everyone who got one, but I'm not sure if giving out so many in one go devalues having one or not. What do people think..? Or am I wrong? Apols, if I am folks....

Do we have any idea how many of each have been given out in total?

Arterra
03-18-2011, 09:19 PM
Agreed, I was surprised too. I thought the PL shields were a very rare item. I understand the winner getting one and maybe a runner up or two. A very big congrats to everyone who got one, but I'm not sure if giving out so many in one go devalues having one or not. What do people think..? Or am I wrong? Apols, if I am folks....

Do we have any idea how many of each have been given out in total?

i get the sinking feeling that them giving them out this contest pretty much doubled the existing amount. maybe some are in inactive/banned accounts anyway, but it is possible (maybe) to trace the giving out of shields by looking at all announcement threads...

Pharcyde
03-18-2011, 09:21 PM
Well... Haikus event gave 3 (I think), video guide gave 1, weapon design compitition(s) gave 2 and now all the ones that were granted here. Yanis was also given one for his massive contributions and one other guy was.

The original 4 Shields are long gone, players either quit or are banned. So there is now 13 Pocket Legends Shields in the game, excluding the 4 banned/quit ones.

Lesrider
03-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Possibly more than doubled it? ...at least the active players who have one, I think...

Pharcyde
03-18-2011, 09:23 PM
Possibly more than doubled it? ...at least the active players who have one, I think...

Game went from 4 inactive shields to 13 active shields in a hurry.

Lesrider
03-18-2011, 09:25 PM
I'm guessing the whole Guardians thing threw everything off -- perhaps the devs didn't want to confuse the two by giving everyone Community Shields? But it confused everyone anyway lol.

Arterra
03-18-2011, 09:27 PM
I'm guessing the whole Guardians thing threw everything off -- perhaps the devs didn't want to confuse the two by giving everyone Community Shields? But it confused everyone anyway lol.

that thread was pretty much a whole presentation where they tried to make a point/difference, but in the end never truly specified their origin/purpose. yes, something to do with general helping of people, but how, how much, and what if it is not noticed kind of questions arose anyways.

Redbridge
03-18-2011, 09:37 PM
So to clarify, the community shields are for the guardians, who go above and beyond. From the thread it looks like; Yanisa (Yanis on forums), Kelielle, Orei, Physiologic, Royce, Arterra, Snakespeare, Fluffnstuff & Kingrichie

Apols if I have forgotten anyone.....

And then there's the winners of the PL Shields, who are simply that... winners of various comps.

Cool, I understand I think.....

Community Shields for the Hard working PL Community gods.... and PL shields as a sort of trophy/badge for winners (or notables) participating in various comps....

Zeus
03-18-2011, 09:55 PM
IMO, both are prestigious prizes. It takes time and effort to be awarded each one. GOSH! I never realized how many PM's one could get in towne, asking what shield that is. I hope they don't think I'm ignoring them, because I am mainly afk when in Balefort or in Forest Haven. My all time favorite? I couldn't choose. I love the looks of the community shield but I love the stats of the PL shield for twinking.

Physiologic
03-18-2011, 10:31 PM
I didn't even know what a Community Shield was at the time it was awarded in the Guardians thread. IMO it was a great idea for the devs to distribute PL shields for this contest - PL and Community shields seem to foster a lot of problems from being too coveted (won't go into detail about that).

Lesrider
03-18-2011, 10:37 PM
So to clarify, the community shields are for the guardians, who go above and beyond. From the thread it looks like; Yanisa (Yanis on forums), Kelielle, Orei, Physiologic, Royce, Arterra, Snakespeare, Fluffnstuff & Kingrichie

Apols if I have forgotten anyone.....

And then there's the winners of the PL Shields, who are simply that... winners of various comps.

Cool, I understand I think.....

Community Shields for the Hard working PL Community gods.... and PL shields as a sort of trophy/badge for winners (or notables) participating in various comps....

Except some Community Shields were given out as contest prizes BEFORE the whole Guardian thing started. That's where all the confusion comes in.

Pharcyde
03-18-2011, 10:53 PM
I don't think the devs were decided completely on their intentions with both shields at the time. I think they got it narrowed down now, seeing the last contest results.

Kalielle
03-18-2011, 11:14 PM
I think Kalielle has both, maybe Yanis does as well (or will?)?

Yup we both have both. :)

As for giving out more PL shields, I think it makes sense to do it if they wanted to keep the entrants somewhat anonymous. If they only gave out one or two then everyone would be able to tell who the two new people in town with PL shields must be. I think it's good to have a few more of them out there.

Pharcyde
03-18-2011, 11:15 PM
Yup we both have both. :)

As for giving out more PL shields, I think it makes sense to do it if they wanted to keep the entrants somewhat anonymous. If they only gave out one or two then everyone would be able to tell who the two new people in town with PL shields must be. I think it's good to have a few more of them out there.

especially since the original 4 are long gone :P. We went several months without a active shield in the game.

RedRyder
03-18-2011, 11:50 PM
Idk. At first Com shields were like secondary prizes to PL shields, but then STS made the whole guardian thing revolve around the com shields giving them a second meaning. I myself have a community shield, but it wasn't awarded to me through a contest (haven't won any contests or gotten runner up.) it seems to me like the PL shield has become a secondary prize

Pharcyde
03-18-2011, 11:51 PM
Then PL Shield still has primary stats. The Community Shield isn't statistically as good as the PL Shield.

RedRyder
03-18-2011, 11:56 PM
Then PL Shield still has primary stats. The Community Shield isn't statistically as good as the PL Shield.

I have a feeling that there's gonna be a future revamp of the reward shields

Pharcyde
03-19-2011, 12:00 AM
As well as many other features of the game. The devs seem to be doing a lot of trial and error lately.

RedRyder
03-19-2011, 12:06 AM
As well as many other features of the game. The devs seem to be doing a lot of trial and error lately.

Well, we will see ;)

Arterra
03-19-2011, 09:20 AM
looks like JustG used something Snake said to clarify. makes sense...