PDA

View Full Version : How do you guys stay motivated?

DOAPSaint
03-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Well... how do you? I was hooked by this game all the way to lvl 55, but now it's honestly starting to get a little boring. Farming BS for days gets a little old and it doesn't help when you don't get any pinks, plus the 55-56 grind can get frustrating... I'm not complaining or whining about not getting pinks... I just wanna know what you guys do that keeps this game fun. What can I do to not get bored of this awesome game?

Keohike
03-19-2011, 07:56 AM
i gave up, lol just post some comments hold some events. Help some players.

Ellyidol
03-19-2011, 07:56 AM
Friends. :)

DOAPSaint
03-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Lol events sound fun. But I lack funding... O.O

Keohike
03-19-2011, 07:59 AM
I dun have any frd on Pl :( No one is on my frd list sob.

Lesrider
03-19-2011, 08:00 AM
i gave up, lol just post some comments hold some events. Help some players.

Didn't you only start playing like three weeks ago?

DOAPSaint
03-19-2011, 08:01 AM
...I am... or at least you're on mine...

Keohike
03-19-2011, 08:04 AM
...I am... or at least you're on mine...

lol jk.........

Lesrider
03-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Honestly, if you're at 55 already and you started in February, maybe you're playing too much?
Or try starting another class for some variety? I was playing all three classes while leveling. Didn't stick to just one.

True, now I'm kinda bored with the game, but I've been playing since like September. If you're bored after 3-4 weeks, either slow down, try other classes, or take a break?

Keohike
03-19-2011, 08:05 AM
Didn't you only start playing like three weeks ago?

2.5 weeks to be exact i am lvl 55 and made over 2 m. And i dont think there is much to do after that cuz i dont want to spend a alot of energy and time. I just play pl and go forum when i wake up in bed lol.

Echelong
03-19-2011, 08:06 AM
Find a good group of friends and start timing your runs. This will have a challenge running and makes you forget about the whole 83k grinding thing. Also we tend to run all the maps as fast as we can. Even though I made 56 a while back I play every night just to have fun with my friends and help others.

DOAPSaint
03-19-2011, 08:09 AM
I have been trying to slow down once I hit lvl 50, but somehow I managed to get to lvl 55 in less than a week... Should I try buying and playing the elite dungeons?

And should I give PvP a try?

RedRyder
03-19-2011, 08:16 AM
Put down the game and enjoy the spring lol. Hang out with real life friends and party it up if you're of age.
When I get bored, I have a lot of options to keep me occupied; from the vast amounts of papers I have to write, art projects, putting my portfolio together (all those picture threads aren't just for fun lol) and friends of course. The games held my attention for a year, but all good things do come to an end. Play another game till Blackstar comes out or the other mmo's on iOS/android that are coming

Akaee
03-19-2011, 08:20 AM
Just play and have fun. Try different gears, Dont care if u die, talk, help and so on. Also enjoy THE playing styles of others. Learn or laugh. Only play when u feeling like doing so and make fun. Dont grind it sux.

noneo
03-19-2011, 08:22 AM
Do something that will help the community. make a guide, make a video tutorial showing how to run your favorite map, compare gear, etc.

Lesrider
03-19-2011, 08:22 AM
Put down the game and enjoy the spring lol. Hang out with real life friends and party it up if you're of age.
When I get bored, I have a lot of options to keep me occupied; from the vast amounts of papers I have to write, art projects, putting my portfolio together (all those picture threads aren't just for fun lol) and friends of course. The games held my attention for a year, but all good things do come to an end. Play another game till Blackstar comes out or the other mmo's on iOS/android that are coming

Exactly. This game, and others like it, got me through my lazy winter. But spring is upon us -- go enjoy it!!

DOAPSaint
03-19-2011, 08:27 AM
Thanks for the advice guys... I'll try out some of the stuff you guys said... and yeah I plan on having a fun spring break in the real world lol

Riccits
03-19-2011, 08:37 AM
i am thinking that the next boss will 100% drop a pink! :D

Xenzix
03-19-2011, 08:48 AM
Doap... You hit 50 about the same time I hit 55... You have had more luck with BS drops than me.... But mate we've done a lot together... Maybe we can go try something other than BS to break the monotony...
Remember... As boring as it may be... You still need to finish cyber (if you want to)... You still have a lot you can achieve without worrying about the 55-56 grind (which frankly ive given up on)..
It's good to see you're using the forum too... That way You don't have to be only bothered by my in game ramblings... But you can be bothered by it here as well...lol
Will hit you up when I see you tomorrow and we'll do something different... Or I'll help you do cyber...

Arterra
03-19-2011, 09:14 AM
Honestly, if you're at 55 already and you started in February, maybe you're playing too much?
Or try starting another class for some variety? I was playing all three classes while leveling. Didn't stick to just one.

True, now I'm kinda bored with the game, but I've been playing since like September. If you're bored after 3-4 weeks, either slow down, try other classes, or take a break?

start some twinking. i might not be a pvp master like others, but i enjoyed keeping a str bird with frozen gear at lv30 for a while.

DOAPSaint
03-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Sounds good Xen. Maybe we can try PvP or CTF :D

Snakespeare
03-19-2011, 09:16 AM
You ask how I stayed motivated to keep playing this game for ten months? Simple. I don't play in only one campaign. In fact i have created one "PvE twink" for each campaign. When they reach the level of the highest drop, I disable XP gain and then set about getting them the best possible gear for that campaign. It took me months to do this. And I did it during those periods between releases of new campaigns. Naturally I also needed to create several mules and maxed out their inventories, because you have to farm a lot of gear to find the best. Other players have done this, too. You would need a lot of plat to do this, however. I have spent over 200 on my twinks.*

Another idea, and this only costs 5 plat, is the deathless character, or the elite immortal. What you do is start a new character and do all the quests up until it dies, then delete it and remake it and try again. The highest I ever got doing this was level 25 (with all quests through Fathom). Others have power leveled all the way to 50 with no deaths, but so what? A friend of mine got all the way to 36 with no deaths and no power leveling, but no quests. This idea actually comes from another game called Diablo II and was called "Hardcore".

* = In addition, I have tried to create these characters within the milieu of the campaign, as you can see from my sig. So the polar bear is for Lost Expedition, the paladin for the Balefort Castle, etc. when we move on to future campaigns, I will make a twink for the sewers, probably Guttersniper who is currently a mule.

Redbridge
03-19-2011, 09:18 AM
He He. I love this thread. I don't stand a chance, do I....... LOL

I'm 3 months in Mage & Bear levelled to 50 and kitted in Cosmos(Shadow set started) & Rift/Hate sets. Bird is slowly catching up(void/death sets building). I'm not really spending much time playing everyday but when I am on i'm farming PP for cash, finishing all the quests on every alt, learning to solo each AO3 level (mobs) only, levelling my str/int Mage is on hold as unsure if it's worth it, toying with str/dex bear build, collecting/farming for rares, spending far too much time on the forums, dipping in and helping out in FH when I have the patience (It's nice when you find someone who appreciates the help and wants to progress/learn, trading, getting involved in a guild, daily crafting quests...... And I haven't even started BS yet... I'm very worried about the BS grind so keeping myself very very thinly spread so I have lots to keep me occupied on the journey.

Starting Totem quests today on my Mage and/or Bear so looking for VL/AO3 company today if anyones interested....

Back on topic I reckon there's loads to do, but I'm really looking forward to a better crafting system and the introduction of a really good and integrated guild system....

Top community, top game, wife and family think I spend far too much time on PL already, Id love to spent 10 times more time on it.....

Redbridge
03-19-2011, 09:21 AM
Snakespeare, I'm loving those ideas..... Maybe BS isnt just round the corner yet then.....LOL

DOAPSaint
03-19-2011, 09:25 AM
I've been farming BS only for a while because I'm poor... :P
Been counting on getting a pink or two to sell to make some cash... now I'm thinking I should try farming somewhere else

Kossi
03-19-2011, 09:59 AM
Go pvp!
I dont ever pve, pvp is where its at!

Snakespeare
03-19-2011, 10:01 AM
That works, too, Doapsaint. Check CS to find out what are the super-rare pinks of other campaigns, then farm for them.

CanonicalKoi
03-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Start another char. Get involved in PvP. Become a CS master seller. As others said, go out and help some newer players. Two friends of mine each started a new char and we're leveling them together. We all hit level 12 the other night and celebrated by trying......Bandit Stronghold! Lol. I pulled the front bear bandit into the hall and we whacked on him, finally getting him down to half health before we all died. :). See? Who knew that 3 level 12's could actually do any damage there? Last night, we went running thru Dark Forest using weapons picked up along the way. We learned another fact--that a level 53 bird, running "naked" and weaponless can, in fact, die in DF. Twice. We will be teasing him about that until the end of time. :)

RueMorgue
03-19-2011, 01:04 PM
I like to partake in shenanigans as often as possible. Examples:

Put torch for sale in CS (someone actually bought it for 7500)
Join games without anything equiped while speaking jibberish like, " I'll save you!" "No thanks necessary..."
My new fav is to pester nooobs who beg from me...
I once ghost-walked someone in alien town for a good 5 minutes while wearing the exact same mystery set as them

RueMorgue: warrior. 55

Zerious
03-19-2011, 01:25 PM
pvp. MAKE TWINKS THEY COMPLETE YOUR LIFE!

Riccits
03-19-2011, 01:29 PM
I've been farming BS only for a while because I'm poor... :P
Been counting on getting a pink or two to sell to make some cash... now I'm thinking I should try farming somewhere else

you definetly should....

Kalielle
03-19-2011, 03:14 PM
If you haven't played all classes yet, make a mage and bear and level them slowly. It's a whole different game experience.

Playing bear in particular is hard to do well and very different from playing a bird. Set it as your goal to try to keep your other party members alive. A lot of new enchantresses/birds rush ahead Leeroy Jenkins style and are definitely beyond saving, but it's fun to try. I had a blast leveling my bear back in the days... And I had to learn things I've never done with my enchantress, like using the joystick and constantly rotating the camera to check how the other players are doing. It changed how I play the game.

Junside
03-19-2011, 03:23 PM
I lost motivation too. But a few days ago, I was farming furiously and got myself a pink. How? I didn't farm for myself, I was driven to get a rare item for someone else.

Arterra
03-19-2011, 03:52 PM
If you haven't played all classes yet, make a mage and bear and level them slowly. It's a whole different game experience.

Playing bear in particular is hard to do well and very different from playing a bird. Set it as your goal to try to keep your other party members alive. A lot of new enchantresses/birds rush ahead Leeroy Jenkins style and are definitely beyond saving, but it's fun to try. I had a blast leveling my bear back in the days... And I had to learn things I've never done with my enchantress, like using the joystick and constantly rotating the camera to check how the other players are doing. It changed how I play the game.

i play like that... on a mage. on all 3 stat preferences.
tho for dex and int it was so i could be on the very tip of my range and receive least damage lol

giayuan
03-19-2011, 03:54 PM
Make more characters!!! PL hasnt gotten boring because im constantly catching up with other characters and gearing em up :D Always happens, when I finally get characters cap and geared out, NEW CONTENT :D plus theres always pvp/twinks, though im not into that.

superglut2
03-19-2011, 03:57 PM
Hopefully guilds will be here soon.. Then pl will be a lil more fun.. But we rly do need more instances like shadow caves. Just for lvl 55. And i rly want more customizations on my char.. Boots and belts for example.. And rings that actually drop for ur lvl.. Boots and belts could just be like rings, no skins. Would be pretty easy implenting it.

giayuan
03-19-2011, 04:22 PM
Hopefully guilds will be here soon.. Then pl will be a lil more fun.. But we rly do need more instances like shadow caves. Just for lvl 55. And i rly want more customizations on my char.. Boots and belts for example.. And rings that actually drop for ur lvl.. Boots and belts could just be like rings, no skins. Would be pretty easy implenting it.

I would luv that too!!! except it would be extremely complicated and all the buttons will be very.. very small..

hawkei
03-19-2011, 04:28 PM
Whipping my hair keeps me motivated
http://sodemotivational.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/demotivational-posters-i-whip-my-hair.jpg

Otukura
03-19-2011, 06:32 PM
-Two toons
-Twinks
-FRIENDS