PDA

View Full Version : PMing forum beggars????

Lesrider
03-20-2011, 11:57 PM
Wasn't sure where to post this. I'm just... Damn...
Someone I never even heard of/from before just sent me a PM begging for gold. And if he sent one to me, I'm guessing he sent it to others.

I would consider this SPAM and downright annoying.

Has anyone else been bothered by this guy? Just wondering how it should be dealt with. Normally I'd just ignore beggars, but if he's bothering multiple people, I think something should be done about it.

Keohike
03-20-2011, 11:58 PM
Yes i told him he could get the 29k i lend to parastyle lol. IDK if same guy aluxhoggy? lol

LIGHTNINGLORD67
03-21-2011, 12:01 AM
I didnt get one..

Pharcyde
03-21-2011, 12:06 AM
I've gotten a few this week from various players. It's getting even worse in the game too, balefort new reminds me of forest haven. And then forest haven now reminds me of Varrock in Runescape.... People are spending 50 minutes begging for 1k, when they could go run one map solo for 3 minutes and make 1k or even more? Idk... It just reminds me of homeless people who will spend 8 hours a day holding up a sign to make 10 bucks, when they could make almost that a hour working a job.

Keohike
03-21-2011, 12:12 AM
I've gotten a few this week from various players. It's getting even worse in the game too, balefort new reminds me of forest haven. And then forest haven now reminds me of Varrock in Runescape.... People are spending 50 minutes begging for 1k, when they could go run one map solo for 3 minutes and make 1k or even more? Idk... It just reminds me of homeless people who will spend 8 hours a day holding up a sign to make 10 bucks, when they could make almost that a hour working a job.

ROFL soo true, but this was my first one ever, never thought about PM to ask for money, so it so he can get the 29k for his effort lol.

giayuan
03-21-2011, 12:13 AM

Homeless dont work because they CANT work, or others wont let em work for em. Not a single PM yet, just the usual begging ingame. OH BTW! im starting to be seeing people with cereal in their names. not that i dont like it, just that if they made it to give me bad credit or to do.. naughty stuff x) its probably not me. I DONT beg, scam, etc. I play the game legitly and the worse ive done was to "scam" a plasma sword.
Heres the story, its actually pretty funny. I was buying zuraz plasma, and the guy put it out on trade. I offered 10k, checked the box, than i continued doing hw. I looked up and to my surprise, he had checked the box and said im banned for scamming. ITS NOT SCAMMIN RIGHT? D: btw this was last year

Pharcyde
03-21-2011, 12:16 AM
Most homeless refuse to work, story time.

We see these homeless people every day laying on the side of the road with signs, and we had some hard labor that needed done. So my dad and I stopped the car, asked if they wanted do do a job for 500 bucks, they said "nahh... were good." There just lazy!!!!

Moogerfooger
03-21-2011, 12:19 AM
Homeless dont work because they CANT work, or others wont let em work for em.

BS, and I don't mean Balefort Sewers. Many homeless don't work because they are a) too lazy, b) too drunk most of the time or c) a +b. And I know....I volunteer at a homeless shelter. The reason some employers won't employ them is because they refuse to provide a permanent address. At least in the U.S., an employee must have some sort of address, or the employer can get monster fined. But shelter addresses work fine. On the flip side, almost every homeless person that I have met that WANTS to work, finds a way to make it happen.

/hijack over.

giayuan
03-21-2011, 12:19 AM
Most homeless refuse to work, story time.

We see these homeless people every day laying on the side of the road with signs, and we had some hard labor that needed done. So my dad and I stopped the car, asked if they wanted do do a job for 500 bucks, they said "nahh... were good." There just lazy!!!!

Really?! :-/ dang.. Idk, the neighborhood beggar here got a job, he was very willing to work for a local shop :D eh i live in a.. suburban? is that the word? place and not too many of em. tons in city though, last time i went to SF.. -shiver-
oh, they turn out like that because most are addicts, i feel VERY bad for em :( my friends dad saw one with a sign saying he was hungry, didnt give him money though, bought him a subway xD

Lesrider
03-21-2011, 12:21 AM
Yuck several in one week?
Can this be considered harassment? I'd be all for reporting it, but I don't want to waste the devs' time if they don't think there's anything wrong with it.

But they ban people who spam real life products, so why not spamming beggars? Or at least a warning or something so these people know it's not ok.

As for in-game beggars and potty mouths in FH, I had an idea, but not sure if the devs would consider it too off-putting.
How bout limit the time allowed with the free trial? Like, if someone downloads the game but never buys a single map after like a month or so playing, their free trial runs out. I think it would kill several birds with one stone -- would put less stress on the servers (less maintenance for the devs), get rid of some potential nuisances who would eventually do something to get themselves banned anyway (less maintenance for the devs), and give an incentive for people to move beyond the free zones (more money for devs).
I'm sure the devs could iron out the details, but I see it as a great way to clean out the riffraff while still allowing the devs to lure people in with the free content (just not let them mooch off it for life).

Pharcyde
03-21-2011, 12:30 AM
I like, it does clean up a lot of bad, but it is going against what the devs have done.

The devs have made a game that requires very little money and has very little stress to make purchases. The effect is so good, that it lures people to buy just because of how friendly it is. Most games that are sinkholes make it pretty clear off the back, they give you a starter 15 "Magic Beans" for your farm, then during the tutorial, you use all 15. Then they try convincing you to buy more so you can finish the tutorial. So adding a system that pushes and forces players to buy would make this game seem like the other 50,000 cash sinkholes out there. I have met several level 18 players who only have forest haven and dark forest who had played the game for a month or more, and just now are hitting the points were they need to buy platinum.

Lesrider
03-21-2011, 12:45 AM
I agree. I hate those games (the Smurfs one and the Heroes one were deleted off my phone within 5 min of downloading.) But to an extent, allowing people to play for free, no string attached, is ruining the experience for the players who HAVE invested money into the game. To make it a bit less forceful, let's say they can use the tapjoy plat for it. And they just need to buy one map to be able to stay for life.

If you look at most of the beggars and potty mouths (not all, obviously, but many), they don't even bother moving past Forest Haven. They don't care enough to actually play the game -- they just stand around and annoy people. So why not put some limitation to weed them out?

And since I have never actually invested any money into any other game for in-game purchases, maybe you can tell me -- do any other games have a similar situation? Do they actually sell maps that allow you to advance or just ways to make the game easier and less of a drag? It's a huge difference. If PL was completely free and just charged plat for specific items, i can understand that they would need to have no restrictions to the free aspect of it. But people who are simply stagnating in FH for months are not actually there to play the game anyway.

hawkei
03-21-2011, 12:45 AM
So it begins...... I thought we were supposed to be safe in the world of forums...
They must have defeated the forum guard Jama.... *sigh*

Lesrider
03-21-2011, 12:54 AM
So it begins...... I thought we were supposed to be safe in the world of forums...
They must have defeated the forum guard Jama.... *sigh*

Nowhere is safe from the beggars!!!

We sooooo need a Beggar King boss on which we can all take out our frustrations.

Tengotengo
03-21-2011, 09:50 AM
I think the Devs will crack down hard on this when they find it out. As far as in-game begging, I dunno why people don't farm. I think a lot of people use this game as an odd chat program, and the name of the game is begging as much as you can before quitting, I guess. There's no way to inhibit begging and trolling if it's a free system, and regardless of the situation, there will always be someone to donate to their cause. Homeless people beg and don't work because they've already hit bottom, and bottom (at least in America) isn't necessarily so bad. On the contrary, There's a few homeless and ex-homeless people around who've carved out a very powerful, very productive life because they don't LIKE being at the bottom. Sort of like when you realize in this game that there's no XP deaths, no looting, and the system promotes teamwork. All of a sudden PUGs everywhere, and jillions of 55s.

Riccits
03-21-2011, 10:00 AM
i would really enjoy when begging would be violation of terms and conditions can be reported by the report button. this would really clean up..

Kalielle
03-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Not all people who linger on the free levels are beggars. I remember a long while back when I started a new alt and was leveling it slowly, I met some really nice players who were enthusiastic about the game but couldn't afford platinum. (This was before the free offers.) As I leveled I would go back to see how they were doing and they were still playing, and far from being beggars - they actually offered me free items to help me, which I of course politely declined.

And recently I had a friend who started playing and she was reluctant to move on to the plat levels. She loved the game but was happy to stick with the free levels for a while, doing all the daily quests and such.

Problem is you never meet those kinds of players unless you're actually playing the lower levels. They don't sit in town much. So when you're a higher level you only run into the wrong kind of lower level players, and hence the impression that they must all be beggars.

Tengotengo
03-21-2011, 10:45 AM
I don't think they're all beggars, but as you said...you don't see the good ones because they're playing.

Junside
03-21-2011, 10:49 AM
WELL... I made a thread yesterday asking for a loan of 240k that I said I'd pay back and offered an item of collateral until I do pay it back. Have I started a misguided revolution? :o

Lesrider
03-21-2011, 11:09 AM
WELL... I made a thread yesterday asking for a loan of 240k that I said I'd pay back and offered an item of collateral until I do pay it back. Have I started a misguided revolution? :o

Nah you did offer items as collateral, so it's almost like a trade. Plus, there are enough people who know you here and might want to lend you some money. If you JUST begged for money, that'd be a different story. And if you never offered anything else to the forum but asking for stuff.

What's thoroughly annoying is having people beg you personally when you don't even know them. People are usually willing to help out a friend in need, but not annoying beggars.

And Kalielle, I know they're not ALL beggars and potty-mouths. But how long do those people stick around before finally buying the next map or quitting? The free maps, IMO, are not really enough to entertain someone for very long if they truly enjoy the game -- you eventually cave and buy the next map. You can't even access the CS without buying a map. I can't imagine beijg stuck at lvl 18 for months. But maybe that's just me.

Maybe some sort of filter to weed out those who are actually playing vs those who are just there to annoy others? The report button can't catch them all, and it's annoying for people who are playing if they have to constantly stop to report them (and sadly, I don't think begging is even a reportable offense).

Just brainstorming.

Kalielle
03-21-2011, 11:19 AM
And Kalielle, I know they're not ALL beggars and potty-mouths. But how long do those people stick around before finally buying the next map or quitting? The free maps, IMO, are not really enough to entertain someone for very long if they truly enjoy the game -- you eventually cave and buy the next map.

I took a long time to get into the game. Don't know if it was quite as long as a month before I got the free levels - but then there is much more to do in them these days. Plus some people will install a game, play once then let it linger on their devices, and maybe come back to try it again much later.

I think one solution would be putting a second CS in Forest Haven. It used to be all the high levels would sit around in that town and I think they helped clean up the place a bit. Now the only ones in Forest Haven are people with nothing to do - and others who are too new to know to report them.

Ladylove
03-21-2011, 02:05 PM
There is a homeless guy in my town that holds a sign that says "Not gonna lie. Need a beer."

Potawto
03-21-2011, 04:49 PM
I think it would kill several birds with one stone .

You got something against birds!? >:O

Kalielle
03-21-2011, 08:05 PM
There is a homeless guy in my town that holds a sign that says "Not gonna lie. Need a beer."

I looked out the window of a building once and I could see half of this homeless guy's sign saying, "help a homeless man". Pretty standard, I thought. Later when I passed him by on the street I could finally see the whole sign. It said, "help a homeless man get drunk."

Ladylove
03-21-2011, 08:13 PM
I looked out the window of a building once and I could see half of this homeless guy's sign saying, "help a homeless man". Pretty standard, I thought. Later when I passed him by on the street I could finally see the whole sign. It said, "help a homeless man get drunk."

Wow nice lol. At least he's honest.

Pharcyde
03-21-2011, 08:13 PM
My favorite homeless sign I have EVER seen is this one homeless guy set up gloves, shoes, hat and sunglasses against a wall. Then he made them hold up a sign that said

"Shy and Invisible homeless person, leave money and basket and will grab when I get the courage."

Then my next favorite is "I bet you one dollar you won't give me a dollar *Evil Smirk*"

"Family kidnapped by ninja's, need money for Karate lessons"

"Obamacare hired a vampire and sucked me of my work ethic, donate to help me buy it back"

"I ran out of ink in my marker, need money to buy a new one"

"Will pimp for food"

Lesrider
03-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Thanks for hijacking my thread guys ;)
You might like this photo I took last year:

http://i1194.photobucket.com/albums/aa373/xenacrazy/eb23f7b8.jpg

Ladylove
03-21-2011, 08:20 PM
Lol I like the bologna sandwhich one.