PDA

View Full Version : Stretch Marks from Working Out?

Junside
03-22-2011, 11:00 AM
I got stretch marks on my arms and I think I got them from weight training. :(

Do they go away?

I didn't do heavy weight training because I go for density, not mass.

I have Muscle Milk and whey protein in my diet, will those help to regenerate?

Zeus
03-22-2011, 11:09 AM
I got stretch marks on my arms and I think I got them from weight training. :(

Do they go away?

I didn't do heavy weight training because I go for density, not mass.

I have Muscle Milk and whey protein in my diet, will those help to regenerate?

It's common. They don't go away unless you moisturize the skin with some butter milk lotion. You could also try tanning them out. They just becom less noticeable over time. I had them when I was building muscle too fast. Try at a gradual rate. They usually only show when you build muscle too fast.

Junside
03-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Yeah my arms exploded in size over 3 months. I think about a cm thicker. I'll try the shea butter stuff, but I don't usually tan.

hawkei
03-22-2011, 01:09 PM
you had me check my self from this post. the only thing i worry about are my veins popping out of my arm

Keohike
03-22-2011, 01:11 PM
No they don't go away, no lotion or such, coco butter is a myth.

Zeus
03-22-2011, 02:18 PM
No they don't go away, no lotion or such, coco butter is a myth.

It's not a myth. Worked for me. I never said they go away though. It LESSENS the marks for them, but you will always have them unless you have surgery done to remove it. But then... You will have small surgical scars. Which scars do you like better? :D

Keohike
03-22-2011, 02:24 PM
It will lessen but it will never go away. I started working out since i was like 18 and i still have stretch marks.

Physiologic
03-22-2011, 04:25 PM
Keohike, what are you talking about? Stretch marks are a majority of the time temporary. I've had them too because I work out on and off and they disappear eventually. Applications of creams such as cocoa butter may help to some degree but it primarily depends on the severity of the marks as well as the causes (pregnancy, increased muscle growth, etc.), so sometimes it may not work.

Keohike
03-22-2011, 04:38 PM
Im talking bout stretch marks from working out. Even though my the stretch marks have lessened it is still there.

Physiologic
03-22-2011, 04:42 PM
Just because you have marks that don't go away doesn't mean everyone else will.

Keohike
03-22-2011, 04:43 PM
Um if you workout everyday for a long period of time you will get stretch marks and they dont go away. Unless like range said you get surgery.

PS. That is if you lift heavy if you lift like 20 pound of course you prob wont get stretch marks.

Physiologic
03-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Um if you workout everyday for a long period of time you will get stretch marks and they dont go away. Unless like range said you get surgery.

PS. That is if you lift heavy if you lift like 20 pound of course you prob wont get stretch marks.

Completely untrue statement. I've lifted for a good 4 years out of 6 years in college, and neither me nor my friends ever incurred permanent stretch marks. And that's heavy resistance training.

Zeus
03-22-2011, 05:11 PM
Completely untrue statement. I've lifted for a good 4 years out of 6 years in college, and neither me nor my friends ever incurred permanent stretch marks. And that's heavy resistance training.

Physio, it depends largely on the fact of your body characteristics though, the skin elasticity, and how easily your skin mars :D. I know some people that can bulk up extremely fast and not have ONE stretch mark to show for it. Although, it also relies largely on following proper procedure :D.

Keohike
03-22-2011, 05:12 PM

How much you bench, curl?

Physiologic
03-22-2011, 05:18 PM
Physio, it depends largely on the fact of your body characteristics though, the skin elasticity, and how easily your skin mars :D. I know some people that can bulk up extremely fast and not have ONE stretch mark to show for it. Although, it also relies largely on following proper procedure :D.

I am all aware of that, lol. I already did a sports exercise rotation during college as well as dermatology pharmacotherapy courses. The statement he made:

It will lessen but it will never go away. I started working out since i was like 18 and i still have stretch marks.

is completely false, considering only a small portion of individuals get permanent stretch marks from heavy weight-resistance training. A substance called keratin is responsible for skin renewal, and when skin is under stress, keratin turnover rates will rise concurrently, removing such marks from the skin. Everyone is different but just cause stretch marks are permanent for one person doesn't mean it's permanent for everyone.

Zeus
03-22-2011, 05:22 PM
I am all aware of that, lol. I already did a sports exercise rotation during college as well as dermatology pharmacotherapy courses. The statement he made:

is completely false, considering only a small portion of individuals get permanent stretch marks from heavy weight-resistance training. A substance called keratin is responsible for skin renewal, and when skin is under stress, keratin turnover rates will rise concurrently, removing such marks from the skin. Everyone is different but just cause stretch marks are permanent for one person doesn't mean it's permanent for everyone.

I figured you knew, I didn't mean to insult you, if I did. :(. I just thought you forgot about it. But yeah. Sorry :)

noobmigo
03-22-2011, 05:23 PM
Yeah, um, I draw stretch marks on myself to make it look like I've been working out. XD. Jk.

Zeus
03-22-2011, 05:25 PM
Yeah, um, I draw stretch marks on myself to make it look like I've been working out. XD. Jk.

Pssh, all my stretch marks are from that mickey D's and IHOP, YO!

Physiologic
03-22-2011, 05:44 PM
I figured you knew, I didn't mean to insult you, if I did. :(. I just thought you forgot about it. But yeah. Sorry :)

Nah bro you didn't insult :p

noobmigo
03-22-2011, 05:45 PM
Pssh, all my stretch marks are from that mickey D's and IHOP, YO!

Lol!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'm switching sigs again........

Keohike
03-22-2011, 05:48 PM

Ah if you put it that way it makes sense. lol I always thought everyone got sketch marks, cuz all my workout buddies all got them. And all the lotions in the world doesn't seem to make it go away. However i have notice if i don't train for a while or use less weight the marks won't be as noticeable, but is still there. :(

Keohike
03-23-2011, 04:31 AM
Sorry Physiologic i obviously don't know what i was talking about. I ask my friend he says it does go away after awhile. Another of y famous bad post. :(
Forgive me?
Keohike