PDA

View Full Version : B* PvP: How should it be done?

ratava
03-26-2011, 05:16 AM
Anyone got any brainy ideas on how PvP in B* should be done?

- How will it improve on PLs?
- What game modes should be available?
- What type of PvP? Factions, Arena, Open World?
- How will classes be balanced and teamwork be added?

Any suggestions? Any crazy ideas... post below:

Could vehicles be added to PvP or NPC aliens/robots/turrets/forcefields?

Ellyidol
03-26-2011, 05:20 AM
To be honest, I wouldn't have an idea until I can actually play the game.

I hope it'll be better than PL's though :)

As for the type of PvP, teams would probably still be best. Open world would be unlikely because of the limitations of mobile devices.

I can't wait :D

ratava
03-26-2011, 05:36 AM
^ Tbh, that's the case until we get some serious info!

But I hope PvP is sorta like League of Legends (just a little) in that it has lots of strategy, teamwork etc and is not dependent on PvE

- How are they going to sort out level differences: This was the biggest problem in PL imo: Reduced the player PvP population so finding a game was rare. : (
- Item progression: Should items all be equal in PvP? So skill emerges?
- How is PvP going to be meaningful?

a) Fun eg cool combat strategy
b) Community building eg teamwork, guilds
c) Rewards eg phat l00t
d) Achievements eg results oriented players
e) Competition eg ladders and competitive players

- Will PvP only be arenas? How will PvP "grow"; could they add new classes eventually or will balancing be an issue?

ratava
04-16-2011, 08:57 AM
Problems in PL PvP:

1. Balance: Numbers in PvE =/= PvP how well understood is this?
2. Class Balances: Options between Pure/Hybrid between a tank, healer, dps & items selection between: MDPS/RDPS
3. Level Balances: Rise of the Twinks
4. Populations:Levels reduce number of pvp games playing
5. Player Numbers: Uneven in Deathmatches: 1v3, 2v4 etc
6. Gameplay: Button-mashing, dying in seconds, mismatch (no ranking), leaving/joining games, camping spawn points
7. Progression: No rewards, titles, achievements, story, pvp gear
8. Options: Inaccessible for n00bs, hardwork to organize, lack of game modes, pvp chat channel, spectate, make vids, organize comps/ladders/guilds[/I]
9.Performance: Lag, device advantage?

Improvements In Blackstar:

1. Balance:

Solution: PvP =/= PvP skills per player. All skills open, all stats standardized. All gear standardized.

2. Classes:

Solution: Healer/DPS/Tank: All classes can do some of the above as skills in PvP are different from PvE. So replaced with SKILL TREES that themselves can spec to tank, dps, healer or hybrid.

3. Level balance:

Solution: No longer necessary because of 1. & 2. changes

4. Populations:

Solution: Problem 4. now solved also.

5. Player Numbers:

Solution: Problem 5. now improved also.

6. Gameplay:

Solution: Can be tailored (using skill trees) to 1v1: ie pure build or hybrid build as weel as teamvteam gameplay ie roles Tank, Healer, DPS. Other problems related to design of levels and parameters eg timers etc can be looked at.

7. Progression:

Solution: PvP players should have a separate progression to foster a community here eg global leader boards and stats to compare ALL players and even leagues, tournaments with some form of reward: Unlocking achievements, titles, fancy-cosmetic gear or special gear(?). Finally some form of Story mode PvP maybe? 2 Rival mercs trying clear a base/dungeon before the other does and reap the riches etc.

8. Options:

Solution:

A modes:

i) Deathmatch: Duel 1v1, 3v3, 5v5
ii) Capture the Flag
iii) Last One Standing Towne: Eg 10-15 players: 1 life, some powerups last one alive wins etc.

B Organization:

i) PvP Chat channel?
ii) Global database of players
iii) Guilds/Tournaments
iv) Helping noob players with basic factsheets etc
v) Spectator mode/videos?

9. Performance:

Solved by Devs (mostly!)

-----------------------------------------------

tl;dr:

Please comment below if you are interesting in PvP in B* :cool:

KaotiicxDream
04-16-2011, 12:16 PM
The PvP might be made as in PL.. But hopefully not :-)

ratava
04-16-2011, 12:48 PM
The PvP might be made as in PL.. But hopefully not :-)

That's the 1st Assumption I made and relieved that's agreed on *phew*. :D

STS at GDC 2011 Massively (http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/03/02/gdc-2011-spacetime-pontificates-on-pocket-mmos/):
However, Barnes admits that the team made a key mistake when it came to Pocket Legends' PvP gameplay: It focused on PvE first and then tried to tack on PvP later. Trying to balance PvP after the fact became extremely difficult, which is why Spacetime decided to focus on PvP first in design for all future titles.

I did some trawling through the pvp sub-forum for PL and taking notes on things that people suggested/complained about as well as adding from my own ideas. Obviously the devs had their work cut out ADDING PvP AFTER PvE in PL. Without going into the history the level caps for pvp restricts the number of games a lot and the stats imbalances (gear, level, player numbers, pre-gcd et al) and organizing pvp battles without any progression hurts it too. Hence the above. Dislaimer: Don't know how satisfied ppl are these days with pvp, but still seems more of the same ad hoc and not easy to work out how to improve if you are new to it??

The problem with above suggestion is gear is important in PvE and it's a question if gameplay is strong enough to be based without it in B*? Ie part of the current fun is designing builds based on gear aquisition and then tinkering with them; then there is combos. Removing the gear and stats only leaves combos to determine games. Is that enough in these small mmos?

However adding SKILL TREES that can be earnt seperately and then recombined with different weapons allows different skills:

eg DPS-Operative:
BUILD: DPS-5 (fixed to dps skills) then allocate the other 5 into tank/healer skills or max DPS etc...

The good thing about this is it keeps the PvP pool of players higher, evens the playing field so skills and anticipation customizing builds occurs and there could be progression thrown in.

<In the devs we trust> ;)

ratava
04-21-2011, 09:04 AM
Outline:

It would make PvP interesting if you have a dungeon/level and players have to clear it out eg kill mobs, collect loot... but... another team (3v3) are also in the dungeon starting from another corner trying to race the blue team cleaning up the dungeon and earning points (you can see each team's points rising!)

Details:

Problem is if team's bump into each other the PvE race becomes a PvP bloodbath and defeated players are rezed back at their starting areas again. Loosing valuable time to score loot/alien kills etc or allowing eg red team to reset traps and doors etc...

Game finishes when either points scored are too high to be beaten by the other team or last credits/loot/mobs are cleaned-out. :D

Comments:

Just an idea, but allows competition with a little strategy:

One team member goes and cleans out while the other 2 face-off the other team or try to avoid the other team and clean up the level or have a team hold them back at their base etc or randomize start zones per player so teams are all mixed up across the level and eventually form-up eg 1v1, 2v1 and 3v3 firefights. :)

Problems:

1. Lag - can it be done?
2. Would it be popular?
3. How to add strategy?

SWTOR PvP (http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/116/1166154p1.html)mode Ref:
I have had my criticisms of The Old Republic in the past, but BioWare has set up what I perceive to be one of the most well conceived and rewarding PvP systems regardless of how you want to play your character. I'm seriously looking forward to playing the next PvP game-type, the Voidstar (a room-by-room attacker-vs-defender match inside a spacecraft) some time soon.

ratava
05-02-2011, 06:44 AM
Competition Mode:

You have players creating pre-selected teams

eg 3v3, 5v5

3 players need to create a team and name for the team. They then organize when they are going to play together as THAT team in the competition mode against other pre-select teams.

When their team wins/loses etc those points give them a rank in a leaderboard table which also tells the names of the players per team in another menu.

Repeat for 5v5 size also.

This way players can practice together as a team in their own time and then put themselves to the test against other teams. Eventually the Ranking system will sort teams by skill/ability and teams can be matched against other teams to play of more even skill level to progress. Or a tournament tree could be played periodically with seeding of teams.

Pick-Up And Play Mode:

This mode allows you to choose different options in pvp eg different size teams maybe 1v1 and levels and what skills you can use etc

OR

Just asks if you want to join a game running atm, and play casually (not competitively) and play some pvp straightaway.

This would be a good feature imo, because it allows teams to form and practise and get serious and get some honours/titles/awards etc and also skill-matching so challenge is always interesting for serious pvp'ers

but, also allows random fun games too for ppl wanting a break from pve and quick pvp game.

:)

ratava
05-02-2011, 06:54 AM
Description:

1. Players are in a small-medium size level not arena!

2. Between 5-10 players all start but in equally spaced different parts of the level.

3. The level is empty except ammo clips and some equip boosts that are randomly generated and spawned.

Goals:

1. It's all-against all!

2. Last player standing wins! :D

Let the Battle Royale Commence!

Details:

1. Players equipment is stripped down so it is all starting even. They have to run around and hunt for ammo or weapons or other equip to give them an edge... but so is every other player...

2. To stop players hiding (too much; it's a good strategy!) some sectors could become more dangerous on a timer and flash read eg...

:cool:

OrFeAsGr
05-08-2011, 08:15 AM
Anyone got any brainy ideas on how PvP in B* should be done?

- How will it improve on PLs?
- What game modes should be available?
- What type of PvP? Factions, Arena, Open World?
- How will classes be balanced and teamwork be added?

Any suggestions? Any crazy ideas... post below:

Could vehicles be added to PvP or NPC aliens/robots/turrets/forcefields?

i think that the players should be able to fight each other in all the areas except townes wich are safe areas in PL too!!and i think it should be better to not make teamsand each of us (players)should fight on his own!!

ratava
05-08-2011, 10:06 AM
i think that the players should be able to fight each other in all the areas except townes wich are safe areas in PL too!!and i think it should be better to not make teamsand each of us (players)should fight on his own!!

Ah a fan of FFA PvP with secure areas/ie townes?! :D

That is controversial even though I like the idea :)

Maybe at least some zones that flag FFA PvP?! Can't see whole game being Open PvP working because of ganking ruins it for too many and that's fair enough. But some ffa can be exciting...

OrFeAsGr
05-09-2011, 04:06 PM
Description:

1. Players are in a small-medium size level not arena!

2. Between 5-10 players all start but in equally spaced different parts of the level.

3. The level is empty except ammo clips and some equip boosts that are randomly generated and spawned.

Goals:

1. It's all-against all!

2. Last player standing wins! :D

Let the Battle Royale Commence!

Details:

1. Players equipment is stripped down so it is all starting even. They have to run around and hunt for ammo or weapons or other equip to give them an edge... but so is every oither player...

2. To stop players hiding (too much; it's a good strategy!) some sectors could become more dangerous on a timer and flash read eg...

:cool:

That is wonderfull and it would be more adrenaline mode if you understand what i mean players will feel more the "run for your life" feeling and the last standing man will take the glory ....!! Thats a vey good opinion for pvp!!!

ratava
05-10-2011, 05:29 PM
That is wonderfull and it would be more adrenaline mode if you understand what i mean players will feel more the "run for your life" feeling and the last standing man will take the glory ....!! Thats a vey good opinion for pvp!!!

Good to hear the f-b. :) Yup think it could work really well for B*. Only thing is that some players could coordinate not to kill each other and also queuing system so the full quota of players start atst would need to be worked on to avoid causing problems. And also how much lag a large dungeon with 10 players could cause too ie a bit like Towne with ppl partying!

Good to see confirmation of PvP at some stage though:

Do you plan to introduce PvP in Blackstar?

We will most likely have PvP in Blackstar at launch, but it is too soon to tell.

Chosen of Diara
05-17-2011, 11:09 PM
Why not make it really easy to kill each other, then there will be less bothersome human carcass's in the way as the might of the Scorn Empire squashes the remnants of a backward and undisciplined human race

ratava
05-23-2011, 01:50 PM
Why not make it really easy to kill each other, then there will be less bothersome human carcass's in the way as the might of the Scorn Empire squashes the remnants of a backward and undisciplined human race

I would enjoy Faction PvP !!! You'd also have to deal with the Mode too not just Humans.

Summary of Potential PvP Modes:

(1) Arena Mode

(i) Hot-Joinable (queue jump into ad hoc matches)
(ii) Tournament (preset teams in ladder or tree competition

Different formats: 3v3, 5v5 etc

(2) Guild vs Guild PvP

Guild points system for different Guilds to fight over some spoils for their members etc to use in PvE or PvP maybe?!

(3) PvPvE Mode

2 Different teams race to clear a PvE Level and rack up the most points (aliens splattered, loot collected and rival privateers K'dOS!)

(4) Survivor Mode

10-15 players (no name tags = anonymous

All-against-all: 1 life, last player standing wins!

(5) FFA Zone

Enter at your own risk!