PDA

View Full Version : IG relationships?

kallima
03-26-2011, 12:10 PM
Are in-game relationships a common occurence in Pocket Legends or MMO's in general? As I've written before PL is my first MMO and I've encountered this several times. The first few times, I shrugged it off thinking it was just some pre-teen or tween wanting to feel "grown-up," however I've discovered that it's rather prevalent regardless of age.

Can anyone clarify the purpose and benefits, if any, of having a PL girl/boyfriend or husband/wife? I still run with people I have met from Forest Haven quests, & understand that bonds are created because of the shared excitement we all feel once level milestones were reached, but how do those feelings escalate from platonic to romantic? And how does one even verify they are truly the age/gender they even state?

Additionally, if IG relationships mirror RL relationships, and an eventual "break-up" occurs - how does it affect the social dynamics and the game itself? I would think it would turn a positive PL experience into a potential negative one if the "break-up" was anything but amicable.

I have met, and I'm sure will continue to meet, some incredible people on PL and just wanted other perspectives etc. Thank you!

Zeus
03-26-2011, 12:19 PM
Well me? I could never date in a game due to it being too weird for me. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion however. Many of the players that DO have an relationship in this game have generally already met in life. People who haven't? Those are the tween population that just want to feel like they have something to "hold" onto, in that confusing phase of life. Of course, all the "sexy" talk is NOT to be made in-game. If needed, take it to an alternative communication source. As for the break up's? They happen all the time. From what I have seen. People move on. Yea... There has been quite a few online relationships but they have all met up in life. Not my thing, but each to his own. Just keeping naughty chat elsewhere is the problem.

If you know me in game. You would know I love to have fun, casual flirting and joking around is my forte. Although like I said. It's all purely entertainment.

Just turn a blind eye if needed. Or get yourself involved if the conversation is inappropriate and needs to be broken up.

Apologies for my broken grammar and typo's. Typing on an iPhone.

While I won't reveal my age, this is coming from a high school student's opinion.

Artemis
03-26-2011, 12:21 PM
Well me? I could never date in a game due to it being too weird for me. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion however. Many of the players that DO have an relationship in this game have generally already met in life. People who haven't? Those are the tween population that just want to feel like they have something to "hold" onto, in that confusing phase of life. Of course, all the "sexy" talk is NOT to be made in-game. If needed, take it to an alternative communication source. As for the break up's? They happen all the time. From what I have seen. People move on. Yea... There has been quite a few online relationships but they have all met up in life. Not my thing, but each to his own. Just keeping naughty chat elsewhere is the problem.

If you know me in game. You would know I love to have fun, casual flirting and joking around is my forte. Although like I said. It's all purely entertainment.

Just turn a blind eye if needed. Or get yourself involved if the conversation is inappropriate and needs to be broken up.

Apologies for my broken grammar and typo's. Typing on an iPhone.

While I won't reveal my age, this is coming from a high school student's opinion.

Edit: Change my answer to "I plead the 5th" on fear of being banned:)

FluffNStuff
03-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Since age can not be confirmed, this is not allowed in PL, and chat of it can and has resulted in banning.

Zeus
03-26-2011, 12:29 PM
Since age can not be confirmed, this is not allowed in PL, and chat of it can and has resulted in banning.

+1. Basically summed up what I said in a sentence. Props :).

KingFu
03-26-2011, 12:32 PM
IG dating is fairly common, mainly with new players. I do know some older players that ended up dating, however it often, as Fluff said, results in a ban. Since kids do play this game, and anyone can say they're 8, 9 or 14. It's not a safe thing to do, so I don recommend it, and it can easily end up in a ban.

Physiologic
03-26-2011, 12:35 PM
Met my fiancee on Maplestory, we met up last year, fell in love, and she moved in with me. And the freaky part? We match more closely than any other exes we dated hehehe :) Nerdluv

Zeus
03-26-2011, 12:36 PM
IG dating is fairly common, mainly with new players. I do know some older players that ended up dating, however it often, as Fluff said, results in a ban. Since kids do play this game, and anyone can say they're 8, 9 or 14. It's not a safe thing to do, so I don recommend it, and it can easily end up in a ban.

It's not that they get banned for the dating itself however. They normally get banned for the naughty chat that follows it. Which is one reason I myself don't condone it.

Lesrider
03-26-2011, 12:44 PM
Met my fiancee on Maplestory, we met up last year, fell in love, and she moved in with me. And the freaky part? We match more closely than any other exes we dated hehehe :) Nerdluv

Wow, would have never figured you for the type to meet your soulmate in a game!

Major
03-26-2011, 12:50 PM
Well I see no prob with meeting ppl in game. You connect with ppl you have things in common with lol. Glad my gf plays PL lol.

KingFu
03-26-2011, 12:53 PM
It's not that they get banned for the dating itself however. They normally get banned for the naughty chat that follows it. Which is one reason I myself don't condone it.

I know, I didn't mention that matter directly but that's what I meant by "it can easily end up in a ban" also, I'm sure devs ban mostly for dating anyways. Since it's not safe, and can put the user in danger.

Major
03-26-2011, 12:56 PM
I know, I didn't mention that matter directly but that's what I meant by "it can easily end up in a ban" also, I'm sure devs ban mostly for dating anyways. Since it's not safe, and can put the user in danger.

Like there should be no reason why you cant meet or have relationship on PL, DO NOT RECOMMEND, think its mainly just the 'sexy/naughty' talk that will get ya banned.

KingFu
03-26-2011, 01:51 PM
Like there should be no reason why you cant meet or have relationship on PL, DO NOT RECOMMEND, think its mainly just the 'sexy/naughty' talk that will get ya banned.

Eh, maybe, I just see it as this is a kid friendly game. Kids DO play this game, and if they're talking to someone, for all they know they could be 40, and they're trying to meet up with them. It's not safe, and is very dangerous, so I the devs could ban them easily for trying to meet up. Not sure they would, but they could.

For all you know, I could be a 40 year gardener old named moe....

Frenzyn
03-26-2011, 01:56 PM
To be honest, atleast it isn't runescape where it is guys on girls characters having relationships.....
That is kinda just weird in my opinion....

And i don't really mind, as should no one else.
I only mind when 2 people are in forest haven
saying this:

1:"OMGGGI LUVE U ZO MUCHASHASH"
2:"No ooo i luve youi so much rmoreeee"
1:"Here is 50g cause i luv u soooo much"
2:"onmggggg i liveee u moreeee"
1:"yourrr welcomeeee i lobe u!!!1"
2:"thamku come to a privatreee game we do stuffz"
1:"yeyayayayyzzzzz"
2:"joinnnmy game we do stuff in private servorrrr"
1:"yaaaayyyyy muneyyy can buy evrything"

kallima
03-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Thanks to everyone that responded, I was starting to think PL gf/bf's were like "couple" guilds where you could loan/give stuff w/o thought - but now that I see that there's no real benefit, I can rest assured that I'm not missing out on anything. I already have a RL bf so I was always taken aback when someone disclosed they have a RL partner but "so-and-so" is my PL spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend.

Physio - Congrats on your engagement - good to see virtual romances materialize into reality, I wish you both the best!

Physiologic
03-26-2011, 02:21 PM
Wow, would have never figured you for the type to meet your soulmate in a game!

Haha why not?? :p

Thanks to everyone that responded, I was starting to think PL gf/bf's were like "couple" guilds where you could loan/give stuff w/o thought - but now that I see that there's no real benefit, I can rest assured that I'm not missing out on anything. I already have a RL bf so I was always taken aback when someone disclosed they have a RL partner but "so-and-so" is my PL spouse/girlfriend/boyfriend.

Physio - Congrats on your engagement - good to see virtual romances materialize into reality, I wish you both the best!

Thanks :) Just shows that romance is possible in any level at this day and age. Just gotta be more careful with it on the web since there's more room for "error."

Pharcyde
03-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Very risky subject to talk about, even if you have never tried anything like this ever.

Devs are pretty cool about letting little things slide, like well known members joking with this subject, but there is a VERY fine line between harmless jokes, and online relationships.

So, report everyone in game you see involving themselves in a online relationship, it's for their own good. They will thank you later when they get older when they realize they put themselves up at a risk of being a victim of online dating abuse (kidnap, possible murder, sexual abuse, ect.)

Lovenus
03-26-2011, 02:31 PM
I met my wife in an online game called "Maplestory". We are of the same age.

I don't see IG relationships causing any harm unless players are abusing it to scam the other "partner" or "partners" into giving them virtual property.

I'm not sure about those players though.

RedRyder
03-26-2011, 04:56 PM

I met my wife in an online game called "Maplestory". We are of the same age.

I don't see IG relationships causing any harm unless players are abusing it to scam the other "partner" or "partners" into giving them virtual property.

I'm not sure about those players though.

Haha any of my exes we didn't match too much. Imagine me finding a fiancé and wife through a game. You guys are living testaments to that :p hey maybe I still have hope haha

And congrats and well wishes with your engagement Phys :p

Physiologic
03-26-2011, 05:13 PM
Max you have swagger, and you need to hit up Hiro and Circle in NYC.

Zeus
03-26-2011, 05:14 PM

This is sig worthy....

RedRyder
03-26-2011, 05:20 PM

Just another week till I can!

This is sig worthy....

Noted ;) as soon as I figure out how to put a quote without erasing my sig pic

Zeus
03-26-2011, 05:29 PM
Just another week till I can!

Noted ;) as soon as I figure out how to put a quote without erasing my sig pic

Remove the text at the bottom of your sig pic. Have somebody update your sig to include that on the side's of Mrs. Marvel. You should have enough room then.