PDA

View Full Version : Dps bear or tank?

Nytesdawn
03-27-2011, 07:41 AM
I'm wondering what class would be more exciting. A tank or dps bear. I'm not talking about a bow bear for dps since I already have one but I want to know which one is better.:confused:
I just wanna test out what a melée character acts. They seem fun.

JaytB
03-27-2011, 07:55 AM
Higher dps = lower survivability

But I guess they're both fun to play with. A 'real' tank can benefit your party A LOT while a dex bear is more like a bird on steroids (physical build wise).

You have to ask yourself the question what it is what you want, a dmg dealer or a tank. An option to consider would be fortified stuff. This makes you a strong tank (not as good as with uncrafted fury, because of lack of dodge) and a fair dmg dealer as well (WAY better than fury). If you solo a lot, a dex bear can be fun because everything dies quickly but, unfortunately, you do too. Personally I like the mix of tank/dmg dealer that fortified gives you most. But that is purely based on my own play style and preference.

Ellyidol
03-27-2011, 08:33 AM
You can be both, gear differentiates a tank bear from a dps bear more than skills/stats do.

You can have one loadout as a tank setup and the other as a dps set up, and just switch between both whichever is needed more. :)

JaytB
03-27-2011, 09:04 AM
You can be both, gear differentiates a tank bear from a dps bear more than skills/stats do.

You can have one loadout as a tank setup and the other as a dps set up, and just switch between both whichever is needed more. :)

Any suggested loadouts for lvl 55? Would love to try it out myself sometime :)

Ellyidol
03-27-2011, 09:12 AM
Any suggested loadouts for lvl 55? Would love to try it out myself sometime :)

I personally use:

Pvp
Tank
1h dps
2h dps

Works well for me :)

JaytB
03-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Works well for me :)

I bet it does :)

Nytesdawn
03-27-2011, 11:15 AM
Thx for the tips guys. I think I'll go full str with dps skills. Sorta like the bezerker build.

Echelong
03-27-2011, 11:17 AM
Thx for the tips guys. I think I'll go full str with dps skills. Sorta like the bezerker build.

I would recomend Dual Spec here is a link to Elly's thread on how to do it. Dual spec you can have str gear when you need to tank and archer gear when you need dps.

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?19405-Dual-Spec-Guide-%2855%29.

KaotiicxDream
03-27-2011, 01:39 PM
Well i got one Tank and one DPS Bear... My Tank is highest level due to i made him first... and leveled him to max first..

Both or very exciting but i love my Tank most cuz it were my first PL char :D

Nytesdawn
03-27-2011, 04:03 PM
Wait if I try for a zerker should I get sum int since I'm gonna be spamming skills? Like 15 for 1 mana regen?

Laviticus
03-27-2011, 05:08 PM
I wouldnt waste those points on int. Gear can always make up for it ;)

Ellyidol
03-27-2011, 08:02 PM
Wait if I try for a zerker should I get sum int since I'm gonna be spamming skills? Like 15 for 1 mana regen?

No good, IMO.

1 m/s isn't gonna do much at all, pvp or pve.

You can squeeze in a Rooter's piece in there, not bad for a zerker type and it has some m/s. :)

braluk
03-27-2011, 11:22 PM
Tank gear with high damage weapons generally give me a decent hybrid. What's generally best for me is to get enough Dex to at least equip a premium ring. You'll have enough strength to have pretty high skills dmg, and enough Dex to make yourself useful attacking and hitting your targets. Then have a few different loadouts. I have one loadout for pure dodging and tanking (Cleaner's sword for increased armor, dodge) with a Dex ring that ups my armor and dodge, I have one for pure attack with a 1H Zuraz Shock Lance(for a mix of some armor with ability to damage if I'm in a group with lower levels where I need to do more damage to make the map go fast), one with a 2H Gurgox hammer with hit/crit armor for max damage, and a hybrid armor with different combinations of hate armor/gemstone, etc.. I have two rings that I use accordingly with each loadout to either maximize attack/armor/dodge- depending on what I am aiming to do. I switch out when I'm going up against large mobs to mini-bosses/bosses. It makes the game more interesting and doesn't require a drastic respec.

KaotiicxDream
03-27-2011, 11:28 PM
Or try get some gear with m/s ..

Tempest
03-28-2011, 04:11 AM
If u use hate or fury m/s=solved.
I recommend you add some dex maybe.

Nytesdawn
03-29-2011, 06:55 AM
If u use hate or fury m/s=solved.
I recommend you add some dex maybe.

Zerker bears are made for skill damage not basic. I need str for extra skill damage.

Ellyidol
03-29-2011, 07:02 AM
Zerker bears are made for skill damage not basic. I need str for extra skill damage.

But dex to actually hit with the skills ;)

Nytesdawn
03-29-2011, 07:07 AM
But dex to actually hit with the skills ;)

Touché. You're always right. WHY?!? But Zerker still has to tank so full str!

Nytesdawn
03-29-2011, 07:09 AM
Btw does a sword give the highest skill dam for a bear? If so when I hit lvl 30 should I get a hatchet or sword?

Ellyidol
03-29-2011, 07:20 AM
I'm not right, just speaking from experience :)

For a 1H Sword, it seems so.

The amount of armour/hs/dodge you get from full str vs the amount of hit/crit/damage you get from dex instead, isn't really worth it IMO.

The tanki-ness from gear should be enough. :)

braluk
03-29-2011, 11:14 AM
Btw does a sword give the highest skill dam for a bear? If so when I hit lvl 30 should I get a hatchet or sword?

I believe swords tend to have the best skills damage, but you also have the freeze proc with a frozen hatchet that can also maximize your ability to lay out damage on a stunned/frozen enemy. If the profiles between both are similar, (DPS/base attack/speed) the differences between the sword and hatchet in terms of skills will not be life changing. In that case I'd opt for a frozen hatchet for the freeze proc- which makes it very useful for bosses.

Nytesdawn
03-29-2011, 03:00 PM
I believe swords tend to have the best skills damage, but you also have the freeze proc with a frozen hatchet that can also maximize your ability to lay out damage on a stunned/frozen enemy. If the profiles between both are similar, (DPS/base attack/speed) the differences between the sword and hatchet in terms of skills will not be life changing. In that case I'd opt for a frozen hatchet for the freeze proc- which makes it very useful for bosses.

But doesn't the ice zword also give a FREEZE proc?

braluk
03-29-2011, 05:18 PM
Actually you're correct they do. Luckily enough I have both in my stash. I'm assuming that OP means Iceberg weapons from Frozen Nightmare since I don't see a sword in Lost expeditions. Iceberg Frosty Hatchet has base of 87-100 with 0.9 Speed. Iceberg Blizz Zword 48-49 Dmg with 0.8 Speed. With Hatchet equipped my SMS skill damage is 153-219. With Zword equipped, my SMS drops slightly to 147-213. DPS and Damage range is higher in hatchet. I'd probably choose the hatchet. Not exactly sure if one has an advantage over the other in terms of freeze proc but a quick run through a low level map seemed to have similar rates.

Nytesdawn
03-29-2011, 08:46 PM
Actually you're correct they do. Luckily enough I have both in my stash. I'm assuming that OP means Iceberg weapons from Frozen Nightmare since I don't see a sword in Lost expeditions. Iceberg Frosty Hatchet has base of 87-100 with 0.9 Speed. Iceberg Blizz Zword 48-49 Dmg with 0.8 Speed. With Hatchet equipped my SMS skill damage is 153-219. With Zword equipped, my SMS drops slightly to 147-213. DPS and Damage range is higher in hatchet. I'd probably choose the hatchet. Not exactly sure if one has an advantage over the other in terms of freeze proc but a quick run through a low level map seemed to have similar rates.

Yeahmaybe since at that level you still might not have SMS yet since ur raising evade iron blood rage beckon scream and stuff. Maybe I should try the longsword but then u can't use a shield which is vital for tanking since zerkers sometimes still tank. Zerker is a tanker with dps skills.

braluk
03-29-2011, 09:20 PM
It's possible but at 30 you should at least have some investment into your attacks, and especially stomp. I'd still stick with the Hatchet. I've never really liked 2H swords to really begin with. Or have both builds saved in your loadouts, so you can quickly adapt to each situation.

Nytesdawn
03-30-2011, 07:18 PM
It's possible but at 30 you should at least have some investment into your attacks, and especially stomp. I'd still stick with the Hatchet. I've never really liked 2H swords to really begin with. Or have both builds saved in your loadouts, so you can quickly adapt to each situation.

Yeah I'll prob have max stomp at that time. 2h swords are for bosses and 1h weps are for mobbing. But another key factor to remember about skill damage is the base damage of your weapon. Like if u have a lvl1 sword vs a lvl55 elite pink, which one wins? I'll leave that up to u to decide. That's why hatchets are higher price than swords.

WhoIsThis
03-30-2011, 08:19 PM
If you need mana, consider wearing a ring with mana regen. Remember that if you dual spec, you can wear both dex and str rings.