PDA

View Full Version : Lighning nerf?

Scry
04-17-2015, 11:01 AM

I'm sure it was 250%.
What happened? Why?

Dragoonclaws
04-17-2015, 11:19 AM
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??????????????????????????????????????????????????

What happened??? I didn't notice lol

Howmanylicks
04-17-2015, 11:25 AM
Please update us Dev on changes

Gorecaster
04-17-2015, 11:27 AM
What a joke. All the bs teasers and misinformation and then bust out a silent nerf. Gg AL.

kazzy
04-17-2015, 11:27 AM
silent nerf strikes again

Fibus
04-17-2015, 11:39 AM
Hi folks,

As Remiem mentioned in her update post, this was indeed purely a text change. On a critical hit, without the Positive Surge upgrade, a critical Lightning Strike will do 150% of its normal damage. With the Positive Surge upgrade, a critical Lightning Strike will instead do 250% of its normal damage. In order to be consistent with the way we word skills and upgrades, the text was changed to communicate how much of an increase this upgrade provides. In this case, it is a 66% increase in the damage dealt by a Lightning Strike critical hit. Hope that clears things up. :)

Scry
04-17-2015, 11:46 AM
Oh, i thought it was a secret nerf. Good to know it isn't.
Thanks for clarification. :)

Starkinea
04-17-2015, 12:50 PM
Hi folks,

As Remiem mentioned in her update post, this was indeed purely a text change. On a critical hit, without the Positive Surge upgrade, a critical Lightning Strike will do 150% of its normal damage. With the Positive Surge upgrade, a critical Lightning Strike will instead do 250% of its normal damage. In order to be consistent with the way we word skills and upgrades, the text was changed to communicate how much of an increase this upgrade provides. In this case, it is a 66% increase in the damage dealt by a Lightning Strike critical hit. Hope that clears things up. :)

Ty, good to know

Nice sig btw :)))

Niixed
04-17-2015, 01:39 PM
Hi folks,

It's awesome to see the team finally do some spring cleaning. Consistency is critical for clarity, but that description removes pertinent information for understanding what that upgrade actually does, which is add another 100% to the damage done on a critical hit. It's kinda like the math teacher that always wanted you to show your work, you're giving us the right answer, but we aren't sure where you got 66%.

Fibus
04-17-2015, 02:03 PM
An understandable concern Thundyrz, but when you think about it, it isn't common knowledge that critical hits on Lightning Strike do 150% damage. So, when the description says it does 250% damage, that's great and all, but how much of an increase is that from what the skill normally does? The thinking behind this particular wording is that, no matter where the starting point is, if you take this upgrade, you are now 66% better off than before.

Do you have any suggestions about how we could better word this description, or other descriptions, to better communicate exactly what they do?

Dragoonclaws
04-17-2015, 02:06 PM
The math is 1,66 x 150=250

Increase the damage dealt by critical Lightning to 250%

and

Increase the damage dealt by critical Lightning by 66%

both mean same thing, but which is more understandeable? I vote the first one personally.

nevercan
04-17-2015, 02:10 PM
The math is 1,66 x 150=250

Increase the damage dealt by critical Lightning to 250%

and

Increase the damage dealt by critical Lightning by 66%

both mean same thing, but which is more understandeable? I vote the first one personally.
Can u do it again but more easy for the more dumber souls ( me ugh)

Dragoonclaws
04-17-2015, 02:15 PM
when you add 66%... you write 1,00+ (66% of 1)= 1+0,66=1,66

The actualy percentage is 150%, then if you want to make it 250%, you do this: 1,66 x 150 = 250

that's what they want to do. They are upgrading the crit to 250%... which is also an increase by 66%

What's easier for you to understand? The increase, or the final result? or is there another way for you explain that?

nevercan
04-17-2015, 02:21 PM
when you add 66%... you write 1,00+ (66% of 1)= 1+0,66=1,66

The actualy percentage is 150%, then if you want to make it 250%, you do this: 1,66 x 150 = 250

that's what they want to do. They are upgrading the crit to 250%... which is also an increase by 66%

What's easier for you to understand? The increase, or the final result? or is there another way for you explain that?
1 the green makes my tired eyes unable to read
2 i stil dont understand

Fibus
04-17-2015, 02:23 PM
Carapace just made a post with some of the math. Maybe that will help you nevercan. http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?223056-Rogue-Skill-Description-Changes-coming-next-week

Ssneakykills
04-17-2015, 03:23 PM
Carapace just made a post with some of the math. Maybe that will help you nevercan. http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?223056-Rogue-Skill-Description-Changes-coming-next-week

Lol I love that quote in your sig

Niixed
04-17-2015, 06:09 PM
An understandable concern Thundyrz, but when you think about it, it isn't common knowledge that critical hits on Lightning Strike do 150% damage. So, when the description says it does 250% damage, that's great and all, but how much of an increase is that from what the skill normally does? The thinking behind this particular wording is that, no matter where the starting point is, if you take this upgrade, you are now 66% better off than before.

Do you have any suggestions about how we could better word this description, or other descriptions, to better communicate exactly what they do?

What I'm saying is that there are no breadcrumbs to follow so a 66% critical damage increase won't mean much to most players reading that description. If they don't know a critical hit is 150% of normal damage, a 66% increase to the damage they don't know about isn't going to clear things up lol.

Here's what I would suggest:

Adds 100% to the damage dealt by a critical Lightning Strike for a total of 250%, increasing critical damage by 66%.

Consistent, clear, and understandable to the large majority of players? Maybe with that description you can reduce the number lightning nerfed threads by 100% :P

justhell
04-18-2015, 03:49 AM
Not trying to be rude,but while few issue / problem still exist in AL need to getin fixed soon before expansion or next event,why this skill bothering u guys?. (I believe there are nothing wrong with this skill and so far I know there is no one complain about this skill have a problem). Sorry,but i really didn't get it the way u guys thinking.

Niixed
04-18-2015, 10:49 AM
Not trying to be rude,but while few issue / problem still exist in AL need to getin fixed soon before expansion or next event,why this skill bothering u guys?. (I believe there are nothing wrong with this skill and so far I know there is no one complain about this skill have a problem). Sorry,but i really didn't get it the way u guys thinking.

What you're not aware of is the fact that in the past the development team had, as you suggested, focused only on the larger priorities. While understandable, the smaller issues got neglected and forgotten until they nearly forced the game to shut down entirely. Clarifying the skill descriptions is part of a *very* large project of fixing all the small problems that together were affecting game integrity and playability.

justhell
04-18-2015, 11:41 AM
What you're not aware of is the fact that in the past the development team had, as you suggested, focused only on the larger priorities. While understandable, the smaller issues got neglected and forgotten until they nearly forced the game to shut down entirely. Clarifying the skill descriptions is part of a *very* large project of fixing all the small problems that together were affecting game integrity and playability.

Maybe u right,but my point is there's still many major bugs in game which is disturbing game experience (like bunch of smoke veil appear when login which is causing terible lag sometime for me).
So far I know there's no one post about description disturbing them while playing. And nothing wrong with old one description about lightning skill,they just changing the old one description with more simple explanation.

And once again I'm not trying to argue about wrong and right (it's up to them after all),but there're still many bugs / issue in game should be their priority rather than this one. Like I said bfore I just don't get it why they bother with this one.

Niixed
04-19-2015, 07:44 PM
Yeah the persistent shadow bomb has happening on and off for over a year I believe. I'm not sure why it has yet to be addressed. It does make the game appear glitchy... not exactly a selling point.

justhell
04-20-2015, 04:06 AM
Yeah the persistent shadow bomb has happening on and off for over a year I believe. I'm not sure why it has yet to be addressed. It does make the game appear glitchy... not exactly a selling point.
Yes bro... Nothing wrong if they decide to change the description,but that didn't have general effect on game play experience.

CS didn't refresh automaticly (for merch this thing kinda anoying),some wild smoke veil (thing gettin worse when some of ppl decided to do ethyl AA party),Klass and Shazbot elix always cancel it each other (seem there's competition between them LOL),and sometime when mage casting another skill after cast clock tower,clock tower never drop/really late drop (seem something holding my clock tower up there). That's few example issue/bugs which is need more attention to fix.

Eski
04-20-2015, 09:42 AM
Even if it was a typo ..never noticed that it does do the 250%...

Niixed
04-20-2015, 09:56 AM
I don't pretend to know whats going on internally at STS, but they prioritize based on what the decision makers believe needs the most attention. I'm sure they're well aware of the issues you brought up.

However, I disagree that the skill description discussion is of less value than immediately addressing other issues you believe should be a higher priority. It's worth discussing now because we, as players, have few opportunities to influence what happens to the game. Accurate, understandable skill descriptions matter a great deal to new players who are unfamiliar with the AL system. If it's too confusing some won't stick around and AL will have fewer new players keeping the game going. Who's to say that's a lower priority than fixing persistent shadow bomb?

Best influence anyone can have is to patiently, reasonably discuss their concerns on the forums. STS does have a good track record of responding to concerns, even if they don't/can't do something about it right away.