PDA

View Full Version : Role of rouges?

Daggee
04-18-2015, 08:45 AM
I run alot of wt and i feel really useless.i am a lv 31 rouge with a dps of 400. And i saw a mage with 420 dps(the mage is lv32)i know that tanks are suppose to control aggro and mages are suppose to control crowd.but i realized that a mage can wipe out a whole bunch of mobs very quickly and faster than rouges.Arnt rouge suppose to kill fast.and also why are rouges popular in the planar tombs?arnt mages better?(i dont know much abt planar tombs but i have seen many threads abt it talking abt rouges are the best) what am i missing out on?what is a rouge suppose to do?!?

Jazzi
04-18-2015, 09:51 AM
Firstly I want to clarify that the most important stat is damage and not dps, as damage is directly related to the skill damage. Whereas dps is practically the speed with which you swing your daggers/shoot your bow with normal (auto) attacks. At lvl 41 in PvE a rogue rarely ever uses autoattack, except maybe during the boss fights, if the boss is an elite one and tends to onehit in close range (planar tomb 3 boss for example).

Wt 4 and any of the easy tombs (kraken mines, kraag tombs) are not the place where the rogue class can shine. The mobs there have low hp and don't hit very hard. Arguably rogues are, at least at lvl 41 and with equal gear, the slowest to clear those of the 3 classes. The reason for that being, that rogues just do primarily single target damage (although a rogue could apply certain DoT skills such as traps' bleed, nox bolt's poison, etc.). Further with equal gear a mage is probably more useful on the mobs part of a map than a rogue in general. Even in planar tombs 3 a mage with the proper skill build can and will output more total damage to the mobs than the rogue because of the DoT of its skills and the map practically consisting of 4-5 big pulls (depending on how you do the last two rooms directly before the boss), thus enabling a mage with clock to Hit 10+ mobs with DoT at the same time. The other skills have a limit on the number of mobs which they apply DoT to/hit on thr initial strike, but still they hit 5+ mobs at the same time.

This being said where a rogue really shines is during the boss fight. And in planar tombs the bosses have such a high armor and health and hit so hard (mostly one hits for a rogue and a mage, unless they have planar pendant and/or arcane ring) that the rogues are invaluable. In planar tomb 3, in an above average party consisting of 1 warrior, 2 rogues and 1 mage, the runs averages about 10 minutes. Of those 10 minutes 4 are spend on the boss. If you replace the one rogue with a mage you will maybe lower your 6 minutes on the mobs to 5, but raise your boss fight time by 2-3 minutes to a total of 6-7. That is almost double the time in which a small mistake costs most people an ankh/plat revive.

So now you could imagine how valuable a rogue is in a place like arena, where there are only bosses.

I hope this explains it clear enough and sorry about the tl;dr post ;)

Daggee
04-18-2015, 10:23 AM
Thanks!Now i understand the rouges role!

Daggee
04-18-2015, 10:33 AM
And also since when there was a kraken mine?

Jazzi
04-18-2015, 11:03 AM
The Kraken Mines have been in the game since before I started playing (about an year ago). Anyway they are accessed via the talking to the captain NPC on the ship in kraken (second map) and selecting the "explore option". The perquisite for this option being available is finishing the "Power of Gleipnir" quest, which is acquired from the "Gypsy Rose" NPC on the said ship.

P.S. I forgot to mention a very very important role of the rogue: to single out and take out priority targets in the mobs. Those are high damage dealing mobs, such as the necromacers in shayul/planar tombs, the healers in elite tindirin, etc.

Serancha
04-18-2015, 11:16 AM
It's RoGUe not rouge.

The role of a rogue is to monopolize the timed leaderboards and then watch the warriors all make rogues so they can keep up.

(The statement above is intended to be humorous, just to be clear)

merch_master
04-18-2015, 01:32 PM
It's RoGUe not rouge.

The role of a rogue is to monopolize the timed leaderboards and then watch the warriors all make rogues so they can keep up.

(The statement above is intended to be humorous, just to be clear)
Yet very true......[emoji20]

Wazakesy
04-18-2015, 10:19 PM
Your job is to wipe out those low-hp'd(optional lol) and shaman-like-mobs(main), and you're too special at killing bosses faster...