PDA

View Full Version : B* Ask Questions!

Frenzyn
03-28-2011, 06:24 AM
I have asked Samhayne if he would ask a few questions for us, here is the response i got.

"Re: Question
Hey Frenzyn, sure matey, give it a go. I can't promise that I can answer any of them, but we can always give it a whack. I know the team has lots to talk about Blackstar, but they don't want to give too much away too soon..."

So, ask as many questions as you can, this might be your only chance to find out your wildest dreams about blackstar! He will get to your questions as fast as possible, aswell as mine. :) Just reply to the topic with some questions about it, he will answer them, Not all but most.

Frenzyn
03-28-2011, 06:26 AM
MY questions to samhayne:

1.How will players jump? (I ask this because i saw it in a 2007 beta) or was it removed?
2.Can you give me an approximate how many quests there are if quests are in game?
3.Is there towns or is it a freeroam?
4.WILL THERE BE VEHICLES?
5.Does walking speeds differ between classes OR heavy/smalll weapons?
6.Can you give me the name of atleast 2 monsters,rivals, or npcs in the game.
7.Why was it exactly called "Blact star"?

/Reserved for more questions

8. Can you give us the inside on the next town/area/place that will be made after released?
9. Will we be able to transfer platinum from PL to B*? Because i don't want to buy another 165 pack, when i still have 100+ on my pl acc.
10. will there be a tutorial for the game?
11. After B* is released, will u stop releasing updates for PL? I hope not xD

Ellyidol
03-28-2011, 06:26 AM
Answered, good on ya Frenz :)

Frenzyn
03-28-2011, 06:27 AM
/edit
Answered, good on ya Frenz :)
I asked JustG first, he told me to ask samhayne, he is an admin/community guy. he said it was ok. ;)
Use it as your only opportunity!

Ellyidol
03-28-2011, 06:30 AM
I asked JustG first, he told me to ask samhayne, he is an admin/community guy. he said it was ok. ;)

Awesome :) Now I can ask away!

1. Is it possible to get a broad description of how gameplay would be like? Like put a game as an example, just like PL? - The question of how tanks are meant to tank in a game where all characters have guns as weapons still confuses me.

2. Will it be the usual, grind for xp, farm bosses for good gear kinda thing? Or would there be something new?

3. Is it still a casual MMO or a bit more hardcore?

4. Judging from how we've seen in PL on how fast we consume content, would it be safe to say that when it's released, we'd actually have a long way to go?

Thanks to whoever answers! :)

Arterra
03-28-2011, 06:35 AM
Will there be the same ability to hybridize classes between each other and have them prove useful?

Are you keeping the 3D aspect, or sticking to PL like two dimensions of movement. ?

Any plans for innicial players bonuses? :D

noneo
03-28-2011, 06:44 AM
MY questions to samhayne:

How will players jump? (I ask this because i saw it in a 2007 beta) or was it removed?
Can you give me an approximate how many quests there are if quests are in game?
Is there towns or is it a freeroam?
WILL THERE BE VEHICLES?
Does walking speeds differ between classes OR heavy/smalll weapons?
Can you give me the name of atleast 2 monsters,rivals, or npcs in the game.
Why was it exactly called "Blact star"?

I might be able to answer some of these questions just from reading/watching hands on previews.

How will players jump? (I ask this because i saw it in a 2007 beta) or was it removed?
We will most likely not be able to jump. Originally, this game was going to be released for a PC, but the PC project got dropped. So, they moved toward the handheld market (most likely because of the massive success of Pocket Legends). In that move, they adjusted, what seems to be, the entire game. For example, they reduced the quality of graphics to make it run smoother on a mobile. Looking at the UI of screenshots posted by various websites, I do not see any "jump" icon/button. This, along with its apparant similarities with PL, leads me to believe there will be no "Jump" feature, one of the many changes they made while switching to the handheld market.
No idea on this one :p
There is a screenshot of the "World Map" on many websites. This means there will be towns that you are able to "enter" to play the game.
WILL THERE BE VEHICLES?
Initially, for the PC version, they were going to release "space travel" along with ground combat. However for the handheld version, devs have noted that "Space will follow", which means, for now, we will only be able to have ground combat. With the removal of space travel, there is no need for vehicles. So to answer your question, no we will not have vehicles.
Not entirely sure on this one, but it is speculated that walking speeds will vary. Devs care to chime in on this one? It doesn't give any critical information away :p
This one is for the devs.
I'm not sure where you got "Blact star", but rest assured it is "BLACKSTAR". You can see this in a large number of places, the Blackstar forum tab, the Blackstar website, any review that has been made on the game, and it has been refereed to as Blackstar or B* by the devs.

My biggest question is if we can get a SLIGHTLY more definite release date. I.e. in the month of June, or the month of May. That is all I request :)

Frenzyn
03-28-2011, 06:51 AM
I might be able to answer some of these questions just from reading/watching hands on previews.

We will most likely not be able to jump. Originally, this game was going to be released for a PC, but the PC project got dropped. So, they moved toward the handheld market (most likely because of the massive success of Pocket Legends). In that move, they adjusted, what seems to be, the entire game. For example, they reduced the quality of graphics to make it run smoother on a mobile. Looking at the UI of screenshots posted by various websites, I do not see any "jump" icon/button. This, along with its apparant similarities with PL, leads me to believe there will be no "Jump" feature, one of the many changes they made while switching to the handheld market.
No idea on this one :p
There is a screenshot of the "World Map" on many websites. This means there will be towns that you are able to "enter" to play the game.
WILL THERE BE VEHICLES?
Initially, for the PC version, they were going to release "space travel" along with ground combat. However for the handheld version, devs have noted that "Space will follow", which means, for now, we will only be able to have ground combat. With the removal of space travel, there is no need for vehicles. So to answer your question, no we will not have vehicles.
Not entirely sure on this one, but it is speculated that walking speeds will vary. Devs care to chime in on this one? It doesn't give any critical information away :p
This one is for the devs.
I'm not sure where you got "Blact star", but rest assured it is "BLACKSTAR". You can see this in a large number of places, the Blackstar forum tab, the Blackstar website, any review that has been made on the game, and it has been refereed to as Blackstar or B* by the devs.

My biggest question is if we can get a SLIGHTLY more definite release date. I.e. in the month of June, or the month of May. That is all I request :)

No offence, but i will leave my questions still up, because they have a chance some of your answers could be wrong, but thankyou, as most of them are probably correct. :)

Also vehicles could be controlled by a stop button, a go button and just tilting or scrolling the screen, so i don't know completely their capabilities.

noneo
03-28-2011, 07:45 AM
sure thing! I wasnt telling you to remove your questions, I was simply explaining some things that have been broughy up in the past, or noted on other websites.

Acyer
03-28-2011, 08:03 AM
My questions are:
What will be the lvl cap first?
Are guilds in the game at release?
Is there auction houses in game at release?
Are the classes mirror images of pocket legends if not how do they differ?
Will there be enough content at release to hold us hard core players?

Zux
03-28-2011, 08:46 AM
Dev, dev on the wall, who's the prettiest of them all? :p

Duke
03-28-2011, 10:53 AM
9. Will we be able to transfer platinum from PL to B*? Because i don't want to buy another 165 pack, when i still have 100+ on my pl acc.

Devs have already said that they will go to an "STS account" for both games and that platinum will be shared among both games. (And, presumably, any future ones.)

11. After B* is released, will u stop releasing updates for PL? I hope not xD

The devs have also said that B* will not take resources away from PL, that in fact they're adding staff so that they can handle both games.

Kalielle
03-28-2011, 01:25 PM
Is there auction houses in game at release?

^ That's what I would most like to know.

What can I say, I'm a merch. :)

Samhayne
03-28-2011, 05:10 PM
Dev, dev on the wall, who's the prettiest of them all? :p

Prettiest? Hmm, I think you need to read this thread: Who is the Hawtest Gurl Eva?! (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?22295-Who-is-the-Hawtest-Gurl-Eva-!)

As for the other questions, great list, gang! As I mentioned to Frenzyn, I can't guarantee any answers, but the team certainly wants to do more Q&A's, so this is a good spot to build up stuff to draw from.

Zeus
03-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Prettiest? Hmm, I think you need to read this thread: Who is the Hawtest Gurl Eva?! (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?22295-Who-is-the-Hawtest-Gurl-Eva-!)

As for the other questions, great list, gang! As I mentioned to Frenzyn, I can't guarantee any answers, but the team certainly wants to do more Q&A's, so this is a good spot to build up stuff to draw from.

Samhayne. You sir are hilarious. Props!

KingFu
03-28-2011, 08:05 PM
1) Will b* have any exclusive items like a PL shield that will be rewarded by devs?
2) Will PvP be more in depth?
3) Will the story line be more in depth?
4) Pets? Anyone?

ratava
03-29-2011, 06:27 AM
Just for background reading I'll mention a few snippets I've read so far then pose a few q's too.

1. At release about 15% of the entire content will be available that's something like 1.5yrs worth to be added (is in interviews etc)
2. I believe they mentioned a similar start as with PL ie lvl 25 with about 3 towns (versions of)
3. They hinted "space may follow". God, I pray it does!
4. They said in their GDC Speech that PvP should be balanced better than PL because it is built from the start and not added secondarily (good news) ie learning from past mistakes.
5. Spacetime a/c's will be sharing platinum use between both PL & B*.
6. Players play humans and the "mod" machine allies are on our side. The evil faction consists of aliens and also half-demon magic things. You can google the story or look at the press release for the names of these guys.

Blackstar is a cross-platform, 3D mobile MMO with a massive world ripe for discovery and action. The game tells the story of 41st century conflict between the ruthless Scorn, a race endowed with arcane powers granted by alien gods; the Riven, necro-cyborg beings allied with the Scorn; the futuristic humans of the United Colonies Defense Force, and their robotic allies known as the Mode.

7. B* will be more story-driven, less grindy levels also and has loads of prior preproduction originally for the PC including about a year or so's worth of art from the guy who went on to work on the art for the movie: Tron. *sweet*.
8. Levels/"Dungeons" will involve more puzzle elements eg switches/knocking out mobs/turrets in order etc

That's all my factoids off top of the head for now.

My q's:

1. Will we have space flight?! Our own spaceships? Or vehicles?
2. What PvP modes are at release? Is it still level dependent, which imo reduced number of games going on at any one time in PL?
3. How will combat be improved? Will it be mainly projectile based with guns etc? How will teamwork be achieved?

Those are the big ones.

4. Can we have more concept art of the characters in the game? :)
5. What specs will it run on? Will their be a desktop client or browser version?

Keep up the awesome work & thanks!

ratava
04-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Q: Where does the name "Blackstar" come from? (I think I know the answer hint: Something to do with the Scorn...)

Q: Can we have more details on the combat mechanics? Will it improve on PL ie classes HT; projectile based combat

Q: Can we have B* forum avatars?

Thanks devs!!

FluffNStuff
04-04-2011, 04:39 PM
Will all classes get guns?

Survivorfan
04-04-2011, 05:07 PM
Will all classes get guns?

All the pictures show them with guns, I think that commandos will have slow, heavy hitting guns, operative will have fast, light hitting guns and engineer....maybe a ray type gun? I dont know about engineer. And im not sure about this but i think-commando=bear, operative=bird, engineer=mage but i get confused with the operative/engineer so the thing i said about guns above, that is for the scenario I listed here. If im wrong, switch the engineer and operative.

FluffNStuff
04-04-2011, 07:19 PM
Thanks. Guns should be fun.

ratava
04-05-2011, 04:34 AM
Think with combat it's:

1. Tab-targetting or touch targetting as per PL
2. Think it is: 3 classes correspond to tank (Commando/Bear), DPS (Operative/Bird), Healer (Engineer/Elf)
3. Projectiles work similar to ranged weapons/magic in PL. I guess Commando as another poster said will have short-range power rdps and the Op will be longer ranged spike dps etc. In the features they mention holograms, dust cannons

Ideas:

• I'd like to see emphasis on shooting and cover
• Weapon sets incl. Ranged weapon and switch to melee with a cool-down ie 2 weapon slots
• Prefer more hybrid so healer/tanks are not essential for combat ie everyone is a bit dps, heals a bit ie equip based.
• Is there a better mexhanic than pots for energy & health. I know these are good gold sinks but I'd prefer less grind, farming?

Food for thought anyhow...

UniitsHD
04-05-2011, 04:43 AM
I only have 1 question and I would have to say:

Can banned PL players still play Blackstar??

Ellyidol
04-05-2011, 04:45 AM
I only have 1 question and I would have to say:

Can banned PL players still play Blackstar??

From JustG:

Link to full Terms of Service here: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/show...rms-of-Service

We tell you the short version every time you log in:

Spacetime Studios wants Pocket Legends to be a fun, safe place for all players!

We ask that you abide by the following rules:

1) Keep all chat clean!
2) Do not ask for another player's account information! And don’t give anyone else your own!
3) Do not do anything that will ruin another user's play experience!

Violations of our Terms of Service can result in suspension of your account or a permanent ban.

Just be cool, and we'll be cool. However, if you are banned in one of our games, you will be banned in all of our games.

UniitsHD
04-05-2011, 04:47 AM
That helps... wish JustG could erase the last sentence...

Necrobane
04-05-2011, 06:04 AM
I'm with Elly, what's the combat like? Do the heavy guys tank or is it purely dps? Also, are there melee weapons?

ratava
04-05-2011, 09:52 AM
I'm with Elly, what's the combat like? Do the heavy guys tank or is it purely dps? Also, are there melee weapons?

Here's a pic of the Commando: Tank & Taunt & high armour/toughness

http://www.funtouch.net/IMG/jpg/Early_Character_Selection.jpg

Here's more on the combat:

Puzzling combat (http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/Various/Blackstar/news.asp?c=27999)

A new combat system differentiates Blackstar from Pocket Legends too. While the game disappointingly retains bland tap combat system - a more engaging real-time battle mechanic would be preferrable - there's an emphasis on tactics that ups the challenge.

For instance, destroying a powerful turret in one of the game's opening stages requires a smart tactical approach rather than simply running in to attack. First, you need to eliminate a nearby guard, then break the adjacent terminal, and finally bust up the turret to proceed.

Spacetime Studios wants to infuse the gameplay with variety rather than loading the game down purely with combat, so expect puzzles to pop up frequently.

Ellyidol
04-05-2011, 10:00 AM
I remember seeing that picture before, that's what got me confused though.

Aren't tanks supposed to be melee, front-liners, meat shields? Unless that massive gun I see is something like a huge tazer type weapon :P

Just gets me confused how we're supposed to tank if all of us are firing from a distance anyway?

FluffNStuff
04-05-2011, 10:08 AM
I remember seeing that picture before, that's what got me confused though.

Aren't tanks supposed to be melee, front-liners, meat shields? Unless that massive gun I see is something like a huge tazer type weapon :P

Just gets me confused how we're supposed to tank if all of us are firing from a distance anyway?

This reminds me a lot of Borderlands, another weapons based RPG. In that the 'bear' used heavy weaponry like Rocket Launchers, Grenade Launchers and Heavy Machine Guns. The 'mage' used small caliber fully automatic sub-machine guns with DOT effects on the bullets, and the 'bird' used sniper rifles (not really do able for this game) and high powered revolvers and machine pistols.

Ellyidol
04-05-2011, 10:11 AM
This reminds me a lot of Borderlands, another weapons based RPG. In that the 'bear' used heavy weaponry like Rocket Launchers, Grenade Launchers and Heavy Machine Guns. The 'mage' used small caliber fully automatic sub-machine guns with DOT effects on the bullets, and the 'bird' used sniper rifles (not really do able for this game) and high powered revolvers and machine pistols.

Interesting :)

Did they actually tank too? I guess I'm just used to melee tanks :D

FluffNStuff
04-05-2011, 10:15 AM
Interesting :)

Did they actually tank too? I guess I'm just used to melee tanks :D

They had a berserker 'ability' where they could wildly whoop on the mobs, but it they were not primarily melee. They of course did have higher armor and health so they could lead from the front.

Ellyidol
04-05-2011, 10:20 AM
They had a berserker 'ability' where they could wildly whoop on the mobs, but it they were not primarily melee. They of course did have higher armor and health so they could lead from the front.

Sounds good. Can't wait to play this game. :)

FluffNStuff
04-05-2011, 10:44 AM
Sounds good. Can't wait to play this game. :)

Of course, that was Borderlands. Will see how they do this. Interesting thing from Borderlands, was that all classes could use all weapons, but their skills made using certain weapons preferable. Like all classes could use a fire SMG, but only the 'mage' class had a skill that could increase the time and damage of the DOT fire. Similarly the 'assassin' could increase damage and accuracy of sniper rifles, and berzerkers could increase the explosion the of RPGs.

Ellyidol
04-05-2011, 10:52 AM
Of course, that was Borderlands. Will see how they do this. Interesting thing from Borderlands, was that all classes could use all weapons, but their skills made using certain weapons preferable. Like all classes could use a fire SMG, but only the 'mage' class had a skill that could increase the time and damage of the DOT fire. Similarly the 'assassin' could increase damage and accuracy of sniper rifles, and berzerkers could increase the explosion the of RPGs.

Yeah thats one of my main questions too, how will gameplay be like. They say its just like PL, tank dps support, but I wonder if things like passive skills would be introduced.

ratava
04-05-2011, 03:14 PM
We know it will retain the tap-targetting system from PL.

I wonder if AMMO will be a resource mechanic in this game with/as well as cool-downs instead of manna etc?

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/2084/blackstar3.jpg

The UI looks nice and uncluttered here and those 2 cylinders could be health and ammo?

I think as Fluff says, the tank will have heavy weapons, be able to take damage and be able to taunt Alien-type melee aliens towards himself away from the squishiers. But seems PvP will benefit from everyone shooting everyone, I'm guessing and different guns having different effects etc.

Guess there will be some melee moves or AoE grenades that knock-down perhaps? etc...

I'm hoping cover and dodging enemy projectiles/splash damage is possible also. :)

As Fluff says, will be interesting to see how the attributes stats will be done eg how effective they are with weapons etc.

ratava
04-07-2011, 04:11 PM
Another Q for the devs incoming...

Q: When will you update the blackstargame.com website? (I'd suggest you update the story of B* ; add more concept art ; some lore eg NPC races, VIPs, locations & history etc)

maddogcharlie
04-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Oh so Im sure there was a STS job going a couple of weeks ago for a community person and there isnt now, assuming they are there now, maybe they just need a couple more days of blending into the team, finding the best time to grab coffee without having to refill the pot, figuring their route to work etc. We could be looking at something real soon maybe? Im with Ratava, some more storyline would be super fine for us more mature players who have increasingly shrinking imaginations, we need the brain food and a head start with the hype please !

Frenzyn
04-07-2011, 07:03 PM
I have a Q-
Will there be ammo in the game or will it be an infinite stock like pocket legends?

ratava
04-08-2011, 02:17 AM
^lol. When coffee is involved it's gotta be done just right. That definitely buys them a few more days in my book. :)

Q: Will targetting be automatic with % chance hits as per PL or will we have to FACE the enemy and shoot?! Might add another layer of skill to combat? Especially if most offense is projectiles from guns.

Q: Here's an idea: Could the ground portion of B* be done on the mobile devices while the space portion on a PC/Mac client?!

Kalielle
04-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Q: Will targetting be automatic with % chance hits as per PL or will we have to FACE the enemy and shoot?! Might add another layer of skill to combat? Especially if most offense is projectiles from guns.

Oh lol please no! I've just tried Dungeon Hunters where that's a 'feature' - it's very hard to control when your only control is the virtual joystick; you try to move to the side a little and suddenly you're facing the wrong way, and you have to run all the way around in a circle to straighten yourself. Also at the size of these characters on the screen it can be hard to tell which way you're facing.

Ellyidol
04-08-2011, 08:31 AM
Agree with Kal's point, I had the same experience with DH.

I can understand that happening in games like WoW, but you have the ease of a mouse and WASD for movement.

Judging from the screenshot, I'm assuming that's the Commando, which is the bear right?

Attacking from that far as a tank, and having taunt skills, it makes me think that tanking in the game would actually be more like kiting. Just a guess though. Either that, or the bird/mage equivalent in B* would have a lot of range? Or the tanks themselves would still attack from a melee distance despite having a ranged weapon.

StompArtist
04-08-2011, 08:33 AM
Good points Elly. I am thinking this is going to be like dual DEX-STR bears right off the start :D

Ellyidol
04-08-2011, 08:35 AM
Good points Elly. I am thinking this is going to be like dual DEX-STR bears right off the start :D

Good for us then! Not much steering away from PL :P

ratava
04-09-2011, 05:44 AM
Oh lol please no! I've just tried Dungeon Hunters where that's a 'feature' - it's very hard to control when your only control is the virtual joystick; you try to move to the side a little and suddenly you're facing the wrong way, and you have to run all the way around in a circle to straighten yourself. Also at the size of these characters on the screen it can be hard to tell which way you're facing.

Good reply and interesting you have experienced DH and it does not work out too well with the Virtual "touch-stick". That's good to know. I wondering how projectiles will work in PL in that case, if at all improved or different, seeing as we're onto ranged-guns et al?

Another Q devs: In PL the UI is v cramped for space:

Skills on the right going a few columns/rows deep and on the base of the screen a ton of chat/map & other options...

Will B* UI be as minimal and spare of buttons as possible; preferable even more than PL? IE: Could weapons slotted dictate SKILLS displayed/usable so if you run out of ammo for one weapon (your preferred powerful lazer-bazooka!) you switch to another weapon with more ammo resource but obviously different skills (eg rapid bullet fire/spray + single-shot grenade etc)?

Think this implementation IMPROVES the UI, improves gameplay and strategy and provides another way for you to design levels &/or "gold/credits" sinks?!

[Maybe skills on the right will be stuck with, but the above solution does help the UI and gives players choice and thinking about their ammo etc]

Acyer
04-09-2011, 06:57 AM
I know the devs are busy but sheesh think they should try answering some questions. The days are getting shorter till release day just hope we are not in the dark when it launches.

ratava
04-09-2011, 07:10 AM
I know the devs are busy but sheesh think they should try answering some questions. The days are getting shorter till release day just hope we are not in the dark when it launches.

Timing is the esssence... they prly put in a big week and were soaking up a few brewskis last night and won't be hitting the offices for another hr or 2 (on a Sat morn.!).

"Take your time devs, you guys are the best!" ~ see what I did there... ;)

pixiemixie
04-09-2011, 09:10 AM
how do you upload a your profile picture?

noneo
04-09-2011, 09:14 AM
I wonder how the lag is going to be with every character shooting all of those plasma weapons/bullets, while casting spells and such. I could see it getting pretty dragged down. I'm sure they will release B* with GCD already incorporated though, so maybe that will help.

maddogcharlie
04-09-2011, 09:44 AM
I think the weapons will likely work something like this,
Red can is health.
Blue can (on the GUI) is energy for the blasters, when it gets to zero you can't perform special attacks. Weapons still work but at base dps. That would seem most in line with PL and mana......... cause they could just have them not work at zero.....in which case the engineer with monster gloves would be a good asset :)

ratava
04-09-2011, 10:24 AM
I think the weapons will likely work something like this,
Red can is health.
Blue can (on the GUI) is energy for the blasters, when it gets to zero you can't perform special attacks. Weapons still work but at base dps. That would seem most in line with PL and mana......... cause they could just have them not work at zero.....in which case the engineer with monster gloves would be a good asset :)

It will likely work this way, and not a bad thing, but I'd prefer they made the resource sink eg ammo/health pots a bit more interesting eg limited number per level and the ability to pick-up clips/health packs every so often to keep topped up. Eg players will be helping each by combined fire but helping THEMSELVES by trying to race other players to the "pick-ups/power-ups"!

I think ammo specific for types of guns and/or limited ammo with pick-ups in strategic places in the maps would make the gameplay more interesting than spamming pots?!

maddogcharlie
04-09-2011, 11:09 AM
It will likely work this way, and not a bad thing, but I'd prefer they made the resource sink eg ammo/health pots a bit more interesting eg limited number per level and the ability to pick-up clips/health packs every so often to keep topped up. Eg players will be helping each by combined fire but helping THEMSELVES by trying to race other players to the "pick-ups/power-ups"!

I think ammo specific for types of guns and/or limited ammo with pick-ups in strategic places in the maps would make the gameplay more interesting than spamming pots?!

You are right that would encourage a more strategic game plan (which they hinted at), they would just have to gauge the levels and drops correctly so newbies wouldnt be running out constantly. Otherwise some wouldnt be 'held' by the game eg: Chess vs space invaders. SWG and others have shown us its all in the balance.

Big marketing advantage of PL is that you can still play while piloting a transatlantic aircraft, stuck on the freeway, in a boring politics seminar, drilling for oil or belaying your rock climbing buddy.....yes gold:D.....'what was that?':confused:......yes safe sorry:o......'you got me then?':mad:.....What?:confused:.....((The remainder of the post removed for the graphic content of the injuries sustained))

Just joking kids - Always play responsibly

Im with you Ratava more strategy would be good, keep all us addicts/fanatics/crazy people (delete as appropriate) with the game for longer and the Dev's a chance to catch up with us with new updates.

ratava
04-09-2011, 02:02 PM
You are right that would encourage a more strategic game plan (which they hinted at), they would just have to gauge the levels and drops correctly so newbies wouldnt be running out constantly. Otherwise some wouldnt be 'held' by the game eg: Chess vs space invaders. SWG and others have shown us its all in the balance.

Big marketing advantage of PL is that you can still play while piloting a transatlantic aircraft, stuck on the freeway, in a boring politics seminar, drilling for oil or belaying your rock climbing buddy.....yes gold:D.....'what was that?':confused:......yes safe sorry:o......'you got me then?':mad:.....What?:confused:.....((The remainder of the post removed for the graphic content of the injuries sustained))

Just joking kids - Always play responsibly

Im with you Ratava more strategy would be good, keep all us addicts/fanatics/crazy people (delete as appropriate) with the game for longer and the Dev's a chance to catch up with us with new updates.

Thanks for the comments & "Only try this if you're an expert!" additions.

Eg: In co-op games you wipe a level and help each other with teamwork, timing, communication etc but when the last mob is done, there's a mad dash "free-for-all" scramble for loot. I like this additional gameplay switch from best mates to worst enemies!

Another Q: Will PvP be totally separate to PvE?

ie: So that PvP everyone has same skills/baseline stats and access to all weapons or choices so PvP is easier to 1. Balance 2. Matches are open to all so total pool of players is large to ensure a game and stats can be compared to everyone else etc

TheLaw
04-10-2011, 04:02 AM
Is this game Free or buyable?

ratava
04-10-2011, 04:32 AM
Is this game Free or buyable?

See Unofficial FAQ (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?19023-Blackstar-FAQ-%28-What-we-know-as-we-find-out-%29)

9) Will the game continue the current pay model of Pocket Legends?

Yep!

Same pricing model, same plat applies to both games.

Freemium:

1. Free to download and make an avatar up to a certain level or area of the game.
2. In-App; in-game purchasing using the game's in-game currency platinum to progress further, add more gameplay options.
3. EXACTLY the same as PL, pretty much.
4. You will be able to use Platinum from your PL game in B* & visa-versa when STS create Spacetime Accounts across both games. :)

For more on Platinum: Official FAQ (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?7704-Cannot-Purchase-Platinum) on iOS and for Android (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/faq.php?faq=sts_support_platinum#faq_sts_support_p latinum_purchase).

ratava
04-11-2011, 10:08 AM
Re: Previous discussion:

Q: Can we have specs on which iOS and Android B* will work on?

eg I currently have my old trusty 2G iPhone and PL still works a treat on that... although it'd be nice for it to work on that, I hope that does not hold back the game's development working on "lesser devices" atst?! This quote from Gattis comes to mind:

"we just barely scratched the surface of what the Spacetime Engine could do" in that game, according to Gattis.

It would be awesome to see the Spacetime Engine stepping up a few gears! :p

Mothwing
04-13-2011, 02:55 AM
my questions:
will the spells be the same as in pl? like heal, res, etc.
what kind of weapons will there be?
will there be "sets"?

Mothwing
04-13-2011, 02:57 AM
o, and will we be able to access our purchased platinum that we have used and transfer it over to B*? ive put a lot of money into pl and it would be a great reward for us. i think it would be nice lmao

Mothwing
04-13-2011, 03:00 AM
lmao one more question...what will the currency be called? MOONROCKS? that would be beast

ratava
04-13-2011, 03:26 AM
@ Mothwing: Have a gander at the Unofficial FAQ thread in the B* General Discussion, posted by Varking. Should answer your questions a bit.

Here's some info but not full on answers:

1. Platinum will be shared across games so Plat bought in PL <=> B* is exchangeable. Confirmed by devs! :) Doubt they will change the name; prl change the coins thumbnail symbol into futuristic bars I'd guess? Saves confusion I reckon?!
2. Thousands of items will be available eg quote: "dustcannon, hologram". The in-game pic of the operative standing next to the Commando shows duel-weilding pistols (futuristic) but I think they have short beams of light energy so can be used as futuristic daggers in melée... Not sure bit think so?

ratava
04-13-2011, 12:19 PM
Edit: Moved Summary to end of thread...

rocket
04-13-2011, 07:24 PM
From Chat earlier today. Sounds like B* will definitely be different from PL. I hope that they eventually are able to implement fighting in space.

13-04, 15:15 rocket:
So I assume B* will likewise have a GCD

13-04, 15:16 Cinco:
Blackstar will definitely have a global cool-down. It will probably have other skill-class cool-downs as well. Like all of your "Holographic" stuff may have a cool-down and all of your "Amp-Light" will have its own, etc.

13-04, 15:17 rocket:
B* sounds very neat and I look forward to it

13-04, 15:17 Cinco:
I'll say - 'coz I can - Blackstar is amazing!!

13-04, 15:17 Cinco:
The items are SICK!!

13-04, 15:18 rocket:
For B* make us really have to choose between skills for each individual class

13-04, 15:19 Cinco:
We did a build of Blackstar where the DPS character (called the "Operative") could use a target debuff to get different combo results with three different classes of weapon. It was very compelling - totally different from PL in a great way

ratava
04-13-2011, 11:10 PM
Moved Summary:

Questions with Confirmed Answers:

Frenzyn:

6.Can you give me the name of atleast 2 monsters,rivals, or npcs in the game.
<(Scorn/Riven?) Diara Zath (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?19023-Blackstar-FAQ-%28-What-we-know-as-we-find-out-%29&p=251833&viewfull=1#post251833)>
7.Why was it exactly called "Blact star"? <Blackstar (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?19023-Blackstar-FAQ-%28-What-we-know-as-we-find-out-%29&p=251917&viewfull=1#post251917)>
9. Will we be able to transfer platinum from PL to B*? Because i don't want to buy another 165 pack, when i still have 100+ on my pl acc. <Spacetime_Accounts (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?18860-Blackstar-Webpage-and-Facebook&p=199860&viewfull=1#post199860)>
11. After B* is released, will u stop releasing updates for PL? I hope not <Justg: (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?18990-Will-the-launch-of-a-new-game-effect-pocket-legends-development&p=201147&viewfull=1#post201147) "We will always have people dedicated specifically to PL, and guilds are very close to the top of the list in the PL development queue.">

ratava:

1.Will we have space flight?! Our own spaceships? Or vehicles? <Justg (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?18883-What-is-there-to-discuss&p=199881&viewfull=1#post199881): "This will be a mobile MMO. The vids that are currently out are for the older PC version. We will be releasing the ground portion first, on iOS and Android. Space _may_ follow.">
6.Where does the name "Blackstar" come from? (I think I know the answer hint: Something to do with the Scorn...) <SEE ABOVE>

UniitsHD:

1.Can banned PL players still play Blackstar?? <Justg (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?22353-B*-Ask-Questions!&p=251818&viewfull=1#post251818):""Just be cool, and we'll be cool. However, if you are banned in one of our games, you will be banned in all of our games."">

TheLaw:

1.Is this game Free or buyable? <Justg (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?18861-Early-heads-up-on-new-game&p=199920&viewfull=1#post199920): "Same pricing model, same plat applies to both games.">

Noneo:

1.I wonder how the lag is going to be with every character shooting all of those plasma weapons/bullets, while casting spells and such. I could see it getting pretty dragged down. I'm sure they will release B* with GCD already incorporated though, so maybe that will help?

13-04, 15:15 rocket:
So I assume B* will likewise have a GCD

13-04, 15:16 Cinco (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?22353-B*-Ask-Questions!&p=261144&viewfull=1#post261144):
Blackstar will definitely have a global cool-down. It will probably have other skill-class cool-downs as well. Like all of your "Holographic" stuff may have a cool-down and all of your "Amp-Light" will have its own, etc.

QUESTIONS WITHOUT ANSWERS:

Frenzyn:

1.How will players jump? (I ask this because i saw it in a 2007 beta) or was it removed?
2.Can you give me an approximate how many quests there are if quests are in game?
3.Is there towns or is it a freeroam?
4.WILL THERE BE VEHICLES?
5.Does walking speeds differ between classes OR heavy/smalll weapons?
8. Can you give us the inside on the next town/area/place that will be made after released?
10. will there be a tutorial for the game?
12.Will there be ammo in the game or will it be an infinite stock like pocket legends?

Ellyidol:

1. Is it possible to get a broad description of how gameplay would be like? Like put a game as an example, just like PL? - The question of how tanks are meant to tank in a game where all characters have guns as weapons still confuses me.
2. Will it be the usual, grind for xp, farm bosses for good gear kinda thing? Or would there be something new?
3. Is it still a casual MMO or a bit more hardcore?
4. Judging from how we've seen in PL on how fast we consume content, would it be safe to say that when it's released, we'd actually have a long way to go?

Arterra:

1.Will there be the same ability to hybridize classes between each other and have them prove useful?
2.Are you keeping the 3D aspect, or sticking to PL like two dimensions of movement. ?
3.Any plans for innicial players bonuses?

Rief:

1.What will be the lvl cap first?
2.Are guilds in the game at release?
3.Is there auction houses in game at release?
Are the classes mirror images of pocket legends if not how do they differ?
4.Will there be enough content at release to hold us hard core players?

Mysticaldream:

1.Will b* have any exclusive items like a PL shield that will be rewarded by devs?
2.Will PvP be more in depth?
3.Will the story line be more in depth?
4.Pets? Anyone?

ratava:

2.What PvP modes are at release? Is it still level dependent, which imo reduced number of games going on at any one time in PL?
3.How will combat be improved? Will it be mainly projectile based with guns etc? How will teamwork be achieved?
4.Can we have more concept art of the characters in the game?
5.What specs will it run on? Will their be a desktop client or browser version?
7.Can we have more details on the combat mechanics? Will it improve on PL ie classes HT; projectile based combat
8.Can we have B* forum avatars?
9.When will you update the blackstargame.com website? (I'd suggest you update the story of B* ; add more concept art ; some lore eg NPC races, VIPs, locations & history etc)
10.Will targetting be automatic with % chance hits as per PL or will we have to FACE the enemy and shoot?!
11.Could the ground portion of B* be done on the mobile devices while the space portion on a PC/Mac client?!
12.Will B* UI be as minimal and spare of buttons as possible?
13.Will PvP be totally separate to PvE?

FluffNStuff:

1.Will all classes get guns?

Necrobane:

1.I'm with Elly, what's the combat like? Do the heavy guys tank or is it purely dps? Also, are there melee weapons?

mothwing:

1.will the spells be the same as in pl? like heal, res, etc.
2.what kind of weapons will there be?
3.will there be "sets"?

ratava
04-25-2011, 05:48 AM
Q: What customizations will we have apart from weapons/equip?

EG: skin tones (dark/white) for the Commando or m/f for the Engi?

F1zzzzp0p
04-26-2011, 01:35 AM
Will their be guardians like pocket legend
I think it would be a really good idea .... Maybe pocket legend
Guardians can transfer ...

ratava
04-27-2011, 05:37 AM
http://www.gamezebo.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/medium/games/4450/Commando_Warm_Reception.jpg

Q: How will health and "manna" resources work?

Here in the above (albeit early state) the UI is nice because it is not cluttered and you see the red barrel (armor?) and the blue barrel (energy?). (I like that little radar-scanner map too!).

Will the energy (for skills) resource NOT be infinite like in PL where you just gobble pots? Ie can you make it so that you have to use energy more carefully and find clips lying around to re-fill if you run out? Think this would add a lot to the game? Or if you carry a lot of clips over a point you slow down?

Pots are useful because they give you a second chance, you don't spend too much time being bored not being able to use your skills and they are a clever gold sink but ultimately they CHEAPEN the challenge imo of just popping a pot and blasting away like crazy. I think with ammo and guns it would be more immersive and challenge with ppl taking a bit more care to use their energy resource carefully and hunt the level for more and use their skills more wisely?

Imagine going literally "gung-ho!" and blasting like crazy.. then a swarm of aliens is on your a** ! and you are rushing to find some ammo. Or a team needs to split and regroup to find ammo every so often... surely it would add variety and tactics and communication to levels?

TL;DR: I'd like to see the red and blue barrels as energy and armor resources. The 2 bars in the top (above level) your health and basic ammunition maybe you can spam these with some sort of pot but a) ammo is weak b) health without armor gets depleted real quick!

/2 cents

ratava
05-12-2011, 10:11 AM
In PL: Level Design:

Dungeons -> clear out mobs/treasure chests => Rewards: gold coins, item drops, xp.

To Avoid dying/running out of action points we have health and manna potions. These are particularly useful if we are not very skilled or our teamwork is not very coordinated or the mobs are tough/lots of them and tough for our level in the dungeon we're playing through when we newly level up.

But the more we chug down potions the more gold we need to buy them. As item drops are random, we need to do several "runs" in the dungeon to get a "good drop" of a valuable/powerful/rare item: [helm/weapon/armor/shield etc] so again more runs means more potions. To pay for our potions we need to liquidate items and earn gold > than the rate we chug potions. As we get better at PL we need to chug less potions and...

work out the best way to FARM levels: Most efficient way of getting gold/items for least use of potions.

Levelling -> Spend points on stats; equip the most powerful items; add new skills/power levels

This then leads to even better performance in dungeons with better gear and the cycle repeats as we level to the next area.

So will the level design and farming be the same in B*?

For me I really like the combat in PL, but I feel sometimes having potions makes the combat "unfair" stacked against the mobs (LOL! :D) and the challenge of levels just relies on either being efficient with your potions or being expensive with them if you get into trouble or doing some farming and stocking up enough potions.

I think getting into trouble should be more of a big deal so that your advance in levels feels like progress when you get past a tricky part of the level or have to think harder about the level than just wiping and hoping your team-mates take on the slack if you are in trouble for eg? Because the farming is useful, but IT becomes the only "real" challenge and more of a time-sink challenge than defeating nasty foes or using really skilful combat?

Conclusion: I'd like to see the Resources in B* more tightly connected to how much you have for each dungeon/level/sector you go into with the option of buying only a few more on top but at a very high premium rate [rip-off rate] or something. I'd like to see the dungeon/levels use carefully spaced out resources eg medi-kits/energy/clip packs that are finite and players have to spend their resources carefully or their most powerful skills/weapons are run out of ammo etc. :cool:

EDIT: Adding on to this.

Problem1: What if players are low on ammo and think "aw, shucks, I'm throwin' this game in and quitting," and then restarting?

Solution1: Instead of paying for potions with Gold: Players MUST pay gold each time they enter a level eg fee for the ship that transports them there. So that would replace the gold sink and mean they have already invested gold to be playing the level.

Problem2: But when players realize that the medi-kit and energ pak/ammo clips are over at X, they'll always take the same boring routes?

Solution2: Then the levels would randomize mobs and/or those packs so players have to always think and use their resources wisely.

Problem3: But isn't farming going to become much more hassle if resources need to be so finite?

Solution3: If players use less of their resources/kill mobs more efficiently then the loot drops % chance could improve a bit? This would give an incentive to players to play really calculated/"pro" and maybe their performance levels could be fed-back after each level as part of the contribution etc in a little stats sheet to see how their combat performance was for that level with target scores providing better loot chance etc based on player performance more than grinding?!

eg: Story: Your commanding officer/corporation paying you privateers realizes you have used less resources so you're allowed to keep ""more"" spoils and your "luck" therefore rises either through the dungeon relative to your combat or if that's too tricky to calc then for the next dungeon(?!).

Problem4: But if you take away the farming time-sink where is the challenge/it will mean levelling is too fast?

Solution4: Perhaps different modes like Hard-Mode could be added with different objectives/stronger mobs/less time/resources/more challenges and different things to see/do/quests all unlocked?

TL;DR: I understand potions are a good leveller for different skill levels of players and also a great gold sink and resource usage by players but I am wondering how their use and the farming challenge can be improved in B* to add more to the combat challenge??