PDA

View Full Version : A Highly Controversal Topic- STAKING (Must See)

Kossi
03-28-2011, 07:44 PM
STAKING

This is TONS of MMO's
this is when you and another player duel, and whoever wins, get the items/money the other person risked
-How this works-
Player 1 duels Player 2
player one puts up 100k for stake, and player 2 puts up 100k for his stake.
they go to a custom map in 1 v 1, where it is the first-to 3 game, and whoever gets to 3 first, wins the other person's stake
ex. player 2 wins, he recieves: his 100k and player 1's 100k stake.

RULES!

1. YOU CAN ONLY STAKE YOUR OWN CLASS
this means:
bears vs bears
elfs vs elfs
birds vs birds

STRICTLY

2. Level differences.
- One can not stake anyone over 4 levels of them
ex. a level 25 can stake a level 21, but not a level 20.
a level 25 can stake a lv29, but not a level 30.
(this prevents being OP by an entire campaign)

3. Maximun Stake.
A player can only stake 2x in thousands of their maximum level.
Ex. a level 55 can stake a maximum of 110k, while a level 25 can stake a max of 50k.

4. Location.
All staking will take place in fathom crypt.
why? it will give purpose to this ghost towne.
When a player enters fathom crypt, they are able to recieve duel invites.
as long as being able to do quests and see the vendor(s)? there.

5. How it works!
- player1 invites player2.
- *map screen*
- both players must choose the same map in order for the stake to take place
-*both accept*
-* goes to duel screen*
- (duel screen is basically where you put up your stakes, and both players accept, like they would do a trade.
- *both accept*
- redirects both players to a 1 v 1 map where spectators cannot join
- the server waits 10 seconds for the duel to start, and they both duke it out
- once a player dies, they have a max of 10 seconds to respawn, or else they auto-respawn.
- this happens until one player reaches 3.
- BOOM player 1 wins, and wins the spoils

6. YES I KNOW
the devs arent in favor of staking, because its like "gambling"
most successful MMO's have a form of staking, weather if it's pvp or dueling.
Hopefully they will change their minds!

7. The solution! (this is for you, devs)
- If the devs are uncertain if they should add staking, let them make a poll and let the community decide, but have them read this thread first, it will clear up ALL of their doubts.

Summary-
this plan will make staking less likely for people to get scammed by people who are overpowered, or they didnt know what they got themselves into by staking 1M or more.
+1,000,000 pretzels.

FluffNStuff
03-28-2011, 07:49 PM
Big issue I can see is:
Dear STS developers,
I pvp'd a player named Kossi today and he was a total hacker and I lost 10K. Please refund to my account.
Thanks,
Noob@whinning.com

Kossi
03-28-2011, 07:51 PM
There would be plenty of warnings when you are about to enter a stake.

Moogerfooger
03-28-2011, 07:54 PM
Why is this a must see? :p "Must See" is for things like Global Cooldown, or Big Luck, etc...

Physiologic
03-28-2011, 07:55 PM
Player 1: "You (*%@) give me my gold back, you were RUNNING"

Player 2: "No you )@*%@(! I was KITING, its called STRATEGY. Sthu noob, I got your gold fair and square"

Player 1: "No sthu you were clearly running away, NOT kiting."

Player 2: "Noob" -leaves-

Player 1: "omfg" -goes on forums and complains in PvP forum and files useless reports/e-mails to devs-

---

Player A: "WTF I LAGGED give me my )!*$()! gold back"

Player B: "sthu noob, it wasn't my fault your internet was lagging, I got your gold legit" -leaves-

Player A: "omfg" -goes on forums and complains in PvP forum and files useless reports/e-mails to devs-

RedRyder
03-28-2011, 07:57 PM

Player 2: "No you )@*%@(! I was KITING, its called STRATEGY. Sthu noob, I got your gold fair and square"

Player 1: "omfg" -goes on forums and complains in PvP forum and files useless reports/e-mails to devs-

---

Player B: "sthu noob, it wasn't my fault your internet was lagging, I got your gold legit" -leaves-

Player A: "omfg" -goes on forums and complains in PvP forum and files useless reports/e-mails to devs-

that is all.

braluk
03-28-2011, 07:58 PM
Something that would need to be addressed. Ping. If you were to allow staking, then you should probably lower ping auto-boot (and no stake items lost). Only green pings allowed. Anytime a yellow ping comes up, it's an instant boot. That way, theres no unfair claim of a slow connection leading to a death.

Kossi
03-28-2011, 07:59 PM

---

1. the devs can jsut ignore those emails...
2. ill bet when people are staking 50k or more against unfamiliar people, they should be prepared for the cheap moves.
they will be the same race/or class (elfs vs elfs), so there should be no excuse
3. everything you listed is the worst-case scenario
4. how did player 1 turn into player A? O.o

FluffNStuff
03-28-2011, 08:01 PM

---

Exactly, considering all the drama and whining that is going on with PVP right now with NOTHING (except bragging rights) at stake, I can't imagine how bad it would get when they start loosing gold.

Moogerfooger
03-28-2011, 08:13 PM
The biggest problem with staking in PL is that whether you want to admit or not, it is gambling. You are gambling (with in-game gold, not real money, of course) that you are better with your skills than someone else. It is no different in theory than sports gambling, that your team's skills are better than another's.

So far, the devs have not allowed gambling of any sort in the game, and I would be surprised if they started now. I'm not picking on this because it is a PvP thing (I am actually interested in seeing how GCD will affect PvP and may try and get into it), but because I think the devs do not want to promote anything that looks like gambling (and this does) nor do they want to deal with having to ignore/filter/read all of the inevitable emails they will get about it.

Kossi
03-28-2011, 08:18 PM
Please dont kill this thread guys, i spent awhile making it
Also, why dont people want to be rewarded for their pvp skills!
I am Extremely confused

Zeus
03-28-2011, 08:20 PM
I'd say if gambling isn't allowed. Let PvP generate some form of revenue. Reward Points per say. Certain number of points giving you various options such as, cashing your points for gold, exclusive gear, an emote, or a vanity. (No weapons or armor that is better then dropped gear)

Moogerfooger
03-28-2011, 08:25 PM
I'd say if gambling isn't allowed. Let PvP generate some form of revenue. Reward Points per say. Certain number of points giving you various options such as, cashing your points for gold, exclusive gear, an emote, or a vanity. (No weapons or armor that is better then dropped gear)

Those are all great ideas, like PvP "reward" vanity items, emotes, or custom colored skins for your armor (just looks different to how you like), or things like that.

I'd also be willing to bet PvP already generates a fair amount of plat revenue, because a lot of you have spent tons on respecs trying to figure out your builds :p

Zeus
03-28-2011, 08:35 PM
Those are all great ideas, like PvP "reward" vanity items, emotes, or custom colored skins for your armor (just looks different to how you like), or things like that.

I'd also be willing to bet PvP already generates a fair amount of plat revenue, because a lot of you have spent tons on respecs trying to figure out your builds :p

Lol, I believe I have spent over 2-3k plat in respecs.

giayuan
03-28-2011, 09:32 PM
I am Extremely confused

I agree with kossi. These people are choosing THEMSELVES to stake money or whatever, there not being forced to..

Moogerfooger
03-28-2011, 09:44 PM
I agree with kossi. These people are choosing THEMSELVES to stake money or whatever, there not being forced to..

That doesn't change the fact that it is in-game gambling.

giayuan
03-28-2011, 09:51 PM
That doesn't change the fact that it is in-game gambling.

gambling.. well.. erh.. ehehe :D
wait didnt kossi have a solution to that?

RedRyder
03-28-2011, 09:52 PM
staking gold will never happen. case closed

Inching
03-28-2011, 09:54 PM
i dont get the part of max stake??? if player 1 wants to stake 1m and player also wants to stake 1m who is anyone to say no? its not ur money anyway... weird....

Kossi
03-28-2011, 10:02 PM
No, you can only stake maximum 2x your level in thousands
A level 30 can stake a max of 60k

WhoIsThis
03-28-2011, 10:23 PM
No, you can only stake maximum 2x your level in thousands
A level 30 can stake a max of 60k

Kossi, I don't mean to be rude, but gambling is gambling, no matter how small or large the amount. The devs seem to be taking a pretty strong stance against this.

I know that you want PvP to be reformed. I for one, would like to see more than just endless Forest Fight games (in particular, I like Alien Underground, but it's just one map). I don't think though that this is the way. I'm not sure offering exclusive things that can only be gotten in PvP is either, as this may cause resentment. I don't know what the ideal way is, but encouraging gambling is likely to degenerate the community. I think monetary rewards are the best, I'm worried too about it's impacts on the game.

Sky../
03-28-2011, 10:26 PM
"a rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

Slush
03-29-2011, 03:23 AM

---

this. ,.,.,.,.,,

Corpser
03-29-2011, 04:15 AM
Something that would need to be addressed. Ping. If you were to allow staking, then you should probably lower ping auto-boot (and no stake items lost). Only green pings allowed. Anytime a yellow ping comes up, it's an instant boot. That way, theres no unfair claim of a slow connection leading to a death.

i dont like that idea as i have never even been on green ping

Luchta
03-29-2011, 04:45 AM
I asked Thade once if it was alright to have a 3 on 3 on CTF with a pot money. He said they were all for it if it's a community event. So if you ask me, I'm not dumb enough to join a game that costs gold if I'm not a PvP person. Putting that in perspective, does anyone here who actually PvP don't like the idea? You know how them noobs trash talk in PvP then complains afterwards. There's going to be a lamer person just around the corner.

As a side note, if not a lot of players don't like the fact that killing/shooting another player in-game is fun and awarding, then this won't improve PvP in any way right at the momet. There's got to be something bigger than what's already there to encourage players to try PvP. This maybe a good investment for the devs to add as a feature once people start joining the PvP wagon.

my 2 cents.

jaggedlilpill
03-29-2011, 04:58 AM
I gamble every time I pot in a map, bc of ping, etc. I have a good chance of lagging and instant death...just saying.

braluk
03-29-2011, 06:58 AM
Either that, or match ping "classes". Or only yellow and under.

StompArtist
03-29-2011, 07:39 AM
See the problem I see with Staking has to do with the game rating. Now you have a game that encourages gambling (simulated gambling) which will likely raise the ESRB rating on the game to "T". Maybe even "M" since the Christmas event where the enchantress can wear a mini skirts!!!

Also you have adults playing for virtual cash with kids which sounds wrong to me (for some reason, not sure how to explain it).

Luchta
03-29-2011, 08:04 AM
We're probably just looking at it now for those we think are too young and immediately call it gambling. What did we learn from playing battle.net games? A lot right?

Physiologic
03-29-2011, 08:34 AM
I am Extremely confused

You released a "highly controversial" topic on an internet forum, so you should be expected to receive "highly controversial" replies and be able to defend your views.

FluffNStuff
03-29-2011, 08:35 AM
Guess the first question should be, why is staking needed? If two people would like to wager gold on a PVP match, then why can't those people just agree to the wager and the loser pays the winner at the end of the match? Simple, because of a lack of trust, and the fear the person would not pay. So staking is a way for the Dev's to force that person to pay? I just don't see that happening, and the fact the Dev's are OK with PVP events with gold prizes shows they wish to have a hands off approach to this to prevent official complaining.

Grifjack
03-29-2011, 08:45 AM
I think this is a great idea and it would add an extra layer of depth to this game. No need to worry about immature whiners.

RedRyder
03-29-2011, 09:46 AM
As I said. For the third time I believe, staking will never happen. I agree with Phys and fluff 110%

Kossi
03-29-2011, 05:02 PM
You released a "highly controversial" topic on an internet forum, so you should be expected to receive "highly controversial" replies and be able to defend your views.

physio, try to actually PVP a bit before you comment on PVP threads.

icantgetkills
03-29-2011, 05:10 PM

+1..
i like the staking idea gives PvP a point to it... but i dont agree with versing your own class only you should have a choice whether to vs anyone with warning ... as my bear can beat birds and my bird can beat mages i want to be able to stake anyone i want..

Kossi
03-29-2011, 05:11 PM
+1..
i like the staking idea gives PvP a point to it... but i dont agree with versing your own class only you should have a choice whether to vs anyone with warning ... as my bear can beat birds and my bird can beat mages i want to be able to stake anyone i want..

physio got all up in arms about the advantages and disadvantages of each class, so i made it that
we can do a poll...
if the devs respond

Physiologic
03-29-2011, 05:15 PM

I've PvPed on several low-leveled characters for about a week and promptly quit when I realized how dirty-mouthed and immature PvPers can be over stupid things. I've heard enough *itchfests from friends about how "_____ is a jerk" from PvP matches and seen enough dumb threads exist in the PvP forum* to come to my conclusion.

Edit: Anyway I don't mean to kill your thread Kossi. Your other ideas in your other thread were great, but my humble opinion stands that staking is indeed gambling, and it is a gateway to more unnecessary drama.

Kossi
03-29-2011, 05:18 PM
I've PvPed on several low-leveled characters for about a week and promptly quit when I realized how dirty-mouthed and immature PvPers can be over stupid things. I've heard enough *itchfests from friends about how "_____ is a jerk" from PvP matches and seen enough dumb threads exist in the PvP thread to come to my conclusion.

you had a bad experience from players who dont care if they get banned
im also talking about end-level pvp.

oh, and just low-lvl pvping for a week doesnt allow you to soil a perfectly good thread. thanks.

EDIT: if you're going to make a post like THAT, just dont post at all.

Physiologic
03-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Like I said, you created a highly controversial topic so being as this is the internet, expect highly controversial responses.

Kossi
03-29-2011, 05:21 PM
Like I said, you created a highly controversial topic so being as this is the internet, expect highly controversial responses.

---

Player A: "omfg" -goes on forums and complains in PvP forum and files useless reports/e-mails to devs

isnt this a little...over the top?
i expected discussion.

noobmigo
03-29-2011, 05:33 PM
Poll!
'Nhuff said

Physiologic
03-29-2011, 05:42 PM
An example also suffices, since my explanation in your previous thread didn't work. Staking may encourage bad behavior that already exists in many PvPers; surely you cannot deny that many PvPers are short-tempered. I've had two friends BANNED because they had temper tantrums from PvP, which is not PvP's fault, but because aggressive competition fosters such behavior. Other MMOs have PvP stakes, as you have said, but they "thrive" because admins and devs don't care if people curse each other out during PvP matches. But as such, I am neither an admin or a dev, and ultimately its their decision, not mine (so you shouldn't care about what I say, you should care about what the developers say). If they feel like staking is a good idea and implement it then good job - you have succeeded. I'm not going to be mad and write an essay about my deep feelings about this situation, I just provided my opinions on a "highly controversial" topic. If you did not wish for any opinions antagonizing your efforts, you should have indicated it in your original post.

I won't delve on this matter any further as you are a cool dude and I did not mean to poop on your thread.

icantgetkills
03-29-2011, 06:12 PM
haha poop..