PDA

View Full Version : Naming patterns

Arterra
03-30-2011, 03:35 PM
So i recently have decided to get my character naming act together so that i may be slightly recognizable between alts.

Arterra (mage lv54)
Faluna (bird lv30)
Vosol (bear lv...6)

notice how i just find a good 2 letters to start it off, and stick a celestial body on the end of it (no copying or you die)

now... I simply cannot stand the classic Clark/Calrk/Clarkk/xClarkx alt naming standards round here. makes for absolutely no individualism between characters. anyone else got a good system worked out for character names? a theme?

Kossi
03-30-2011, 03:38 PM
go to a dictionary and use the first available cool-sounding name
ex. "confirmed"

Arterra
03-30-2011, 03:40 PM
not asking for possible patterns, want to know if there is a patter you use.

do you do that? tbh i dont actually know too many of your chars lol... only kossi and kois

FluffNStuff
03-30-2011, 03:41 PM
hunny-
Got like a dozen of them, except of course my main, FluffNStuff

Corpser
03-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Me I just use what ever I can think about eg
My charecters names are corpser royalranger and royalbrawler

Arterra
03-30-2011, 03:42 PM
hunny-
Got like a dozen of them, except of course my main, FluffNStuff

interesting... i occasionally see other people with "fluff" in their names... your only "fluff" is your main?

Rebel
03-30-2011, 03:43 PM
Rebel_____

I like to keep it simple. Although I've always wanted a list of God's/Titan's names. I may have to change my theme once B* begins. Maybe scientific animal names such as Lupus (wolf) or Panthera (large cats). Yep, this is now my new naming pattern for B*. I'd like to keep these names, so back off ;)

FluffNStuff
03-30-2011, 03:43 PM
interesting... i occasionally see other people with "fluff" in their names... your only "fluff" is your main?

Yup, have about a dozen hunny's and one micropooh, but only Fluff is my main.

Arterra
03-30-2011, 03:48 PM
Rebel_____

I like to keep it simple. Although I've always wanted a list of God's/Titan's names. I may have to change my theme once B* begins. Maybe scientific animal names such as Lupus (wolf) or Panthera (large cats). Yep, this is now my new naming pattern for B*. I'd like to keep these names, so back off ;)

nice upcoming theme! you might have difficulty grabbing it tho, check lupus first since it sounds popular and might already be reserved... that is the one thing about the reserving names thing for B* that i dont like. players that are never going to play but have the name in PL are already hoggin' names like God or Wassup... or Barsoom :(

there should be a tick box that comes with a patch, asking if you WANT to save your names. that way, we weed out inactive or non-caring players.

Rebel
03-30-2011, 03:54 PM
nice upcoming theme! you might have difficulty grabbing it tho, check lupus first since it sounds popular and might already be reserved... that is the one thing about the reserving names thing for B* that i dont like. players that are never going to play but have the name in PL are already hoggin' names like God or Wassup... or Barsoom :(

there should be a tick box that comes with a patch, asking if you WANT to save your names. that way, we weed out inactive or non-caring players.

So B* names and PL names are going to be interconnected? Ex. I can't make a character in B* with the name of, let's say, Rebel, because it is already taken in PL?

noobmigo
03-30-2011, 03:55 PM
Chum_____

That is all

Arterra
03-30-2011, 04:03 PM
So B* names and PL names are going to be interconnected? Ex. I can't make a character in B* with the name of, let's say, Rebel, because it is already taken in PL?

no, i think your names are reserved for your email used for your account. since we can use plat bought in both games, im guessing you can reserve your name in both games by having it in one.

which means double the names will end up being taken.

which is why we need OPTIONAL name saving

dear god i am pming a dev...

Kalielle
03-30-2011, 04:03 PM
I named my level 10 and 15 twinks Arktika and Tropika. The first wears a frosty robe, winter present and reindeer antlers; the second a fiery robe and orange headphones.

Lesrider
03-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Micropooh? Wow. Why have I not heard of that one yet?

And I just try to think of something on the spot. I sometimes regret that later.

Rebel
03-30-2011, 04:04 PM
no, i think your names are reserved for your email used for your account. since we can use plat bought in both games, im guessing you can reserve your name in both games by having it in one.

Please do. I'm very confused.

JaytB
03-30-2011, 04:15 PM
I changed the name of my bear to 'IKungFuPanda', as soon as I knew how to get a panda face. I decided to change the name of my Mage to 'IkungFuMage', so it would be easier recognizable for excisting friends on my alt. For my 3rd char I decided to stick with the IKungFu, hence 'IKungFuBird'.

FluffNStuff
03-30-2011, 04:16 PM
Micropooh? Wow. Why have I not heard of that one yet?

And I just try to think of something on the spot. I sometimes regret that later.

Is a level 10 bear created for holiday farming, and pretty much that was the only time I used him.

Lesrider
03-30-2011, 04:21 PM
Is a level 10 bear created for holiday farming, and pretty much that was the only time I used him.

Great name, though.

Snakespeare
03-30-2011, 04:42 PM
go to a dictionary and use the first available cool-sounding name
ex. "confirmed"

You had to get all the way to the letter "c"? j/k

Snakespeare
03-30-2011, 04:46 PM

JustG changed this to a hope, not a guarantee. They are trying to find a way for us to use the same names in B*. From the sound of his comment, they may not have a method figured out, yet.

YYZ????
03-30-2011, 06:01 PM
YYZ is my old school "High Score" abbreviation on arcade games. I simply just follow the pattern with type of character. I plan on following suit in Blackstar. YYZcomm, YYZoper, YYZengr.

Physiologic
03-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Physiologic, pertaining to the body.
Psychologic, pertaining to the mind.

I am a health care professional.

Logic is impossible to find at this day and age.

Kingofhurtz
03-30-2011, 06:52 PM
If have 0 naming pattern to my names. King...I just thought of one day. Illtransformu, inspired by Chris Brown's song "I Can Transform You (feat. Lil' Wayne)", Norestforevil, inspired by Cage the Elephant's "Aint no Rest for the Wicked" --Good Song! Santaself...Christmas theme and Furrawn thought of it. Thats not even half of them...I just mostly name them after things that I like. One is named after the place i vacation (which I will not reveal!)

Potawto
03-30-2011, 07:02 PM
Named mine after the traditional phrase,"you say potato I say potawto" my three chars are potawto, tomawto, and potawtoes

Kossi
03-30-2011, 07:06 PM
i named mine after the kossi caves in korea
then came koiss...kois...kozsi...the BOOM
Ariesi

drewcapu
03-30-2011, 08:28 PM
Drewcapu was my first char, a bear.
Drucapu was my second char, a mage.
Droocapu was my third char, a bird.

Since then, I've made obvious alts at various levels, like Drewcapux, a L10 mage. I've pretty much stuck with mages for my alts, but decided not to name them drucapux, etc.

Sometimes there's a name that "sounds ok" when you do generate name. I sometimes will do that for a throw-away character.

giayuan
03-30-2011, 10:28 PM
CEREAL FTW :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D lol...

Robot
03-30-2011, 10:38 PM
I think being easily recognizable is nice, so I stick with names that are like mine, because some joker took 'robot' (grrrrrrrrr!) I had to opt for roobot and roboot, which I do not mind, as I imagine them as twins. Roobot is blond and wear stylish cloths, he does not conceal his closet homosexuality very well. Roboot is small, and rather homely, but he is straight as an arrow, and for some reason is quite a hit with the ladies. Did I go crazy?

goatycoady
03-30-2011, 10:49 PM
anything with goat in it

i have a goat named goaty:)

StompArtist
03-31-2011, 07:07 AM
YYZ is my old school "High Score" abbreviation on arcade games. I simply just follow the pattern with type of character. I plan on following suit in Blackstar. YYZcomm, YYZoper, YYZengr.

LOL I thought you where from Toronto in Canada YYZ is their airport code.

neko
03-31-2011, 08:54 AM
So i recently have decided to get my character naming act together so that i may be slightly recognizable between alts.

Arterra (mage lv54)
Faluna (bird lv30)
Vosol (bear lv...6)

notice how i just find a good 2 letters to start it off, and stick a celestial body on the end of it (no copying or you die)

now... I simply cannot stand the classic Clark/Calrk/Clarkk/xClarkx alt naming standards round here. makes for absolutely no individualism between characters. anyone else got a good system worked out for character names? a theme?

Anichelith was my first character and then name was randomly generated. I didn't know better then but it's kinda stuck ever since. Corrvus was my next character and is latin for crow (Corvus, actually, but that was already taken). And lastly, Urrsus is latin for bear (Ursus, but that too was taken).

neko
03-31-2011, 08:57 AM
LOL I thought you where from Toronto in Canada YYZ is their airport code.

I've asked him the same thing while in game. LOL!

Arterra
03-31-2011, 10:26 AM
Latin names seem to be popular enough to cause stress by names being already taken...

Rebel
03-31-2011, 03:34 PM
anything with goat in it

i have a goat named goaty:)

I don't know if you've ever heard or visited it, but there is a place down in Georgia called Goats on a Roof, where there are literally, goats on the roof of a souvenir shop. It's a pretty neat place, so if you're ever around South Georgia you should go check it out.

CanonicalKoi
03-31-2011, 06:40 PM
Several of my chars were named after Japanese food items: Yosinabe, Gyoza, Pickedginger (Gari having been taken ;) ) and Chankonabe. Other than that, I usually name them after someone I admire--Diffie for Whitfield Diffie, for example or a name from a book I liked--my baby mage, GreviousAngel came from a William Gibson novel. Rauen is a stand-alone, lol.