PDA

View Full Version : Smart Chat Annoyance

Zeus
05-03-2015, 01:22 AM
Can we please get rid of this feature? It's been here for months and it is the sole reason why I have quit playing the game from any Android or iOS device. I cannot communicate effectively which is a very important thing to have to do in MMOs.

I know many others feel this way yet this chat feature is being looked at now for months! Please, get rid of "smart" chat.

The entire population of AL thanks you if you do,

-Zeus

Alhuntrazeck
05-03-2015, 01:33 AM
Being a PC user, I selfishly love it. I simply type / to begin a message to someone else. It is harsh on the mobile users though :/

A nice thing about the smart chat system is that you can use arrow keys to display previously typed messages! I hope they won't remove that, I love it. :o

Zeus
05-03-2015, 01:43 AM
Being a PC user, I selfishly love it. I simply type / to begin a message to someone else. It is harsh on the mobile users though :/

A nice thing about the smart chat system is that you can use arrow keys to display previously typed messages! I hope they won't remove that, I love it. :o

That's great and all but this is a mobile MMO first and foremost. I play AL on Chrome too but the way smart chat currently is makes me want to through my device in frustration.

Serillia
05-03-2015, 01:48 AM

^ Sums it up for me

Serancha
05-03-2015, 02:11 AM
I've expressed the issues with this multiple times.

First we were told "it needs a client update", so we need to wait for that. 4 client updates went by with no fix.

Then we were told it was "being worked on but no date as of this time".

Since then we have had no response to requests for information. This is a game breaker for a lot of people, especially anyone in a guild, who had a social presence in game and runs elites and/or plays pvp. It is even worse for guild officers and GM's.

Remiem said "we feel your pain". Well that pain is clear on every tournament broadcast, but the mods and devs do not play on a daily basis. so the pain they have felt is but a fraction of what we are facing. Personally I find it so disruptive that it my weekly play time has decreased by 80%.

It is a MOBILE MMO - this is not mobile friendly. When the only people able to communicate at will are those on desktop, the game is broken.

Ardbeg
05-03-2015, 06:14 AM
there was no real need for this feature in the first place. on ios i can use keyboard abbreviations to speed up my chat according to my needs. i am sure there are similar ways for android/chrome users.

Hoardseeker
05-03-2015, 06:23 AM
Types" /g Hi"

Then Opens chat types "/p join me" and it goes in Guild chat

Does "/g Wrong chat"

Then Again Erases "/g" and finally types "/p join me"

It goes to the Guild chat? :o I forgot to remove that "/g"

Yes i do hate that System! I did not Play Arcane Legends for Past two weeks

Wazakesy
05-03-2015, 07:12 AM
there was no real need for this feature in the first place. on ios i can use keyboard abbreviations to speed up my chat according to my needs. i am sure there are similar ways for android/chrome users.

For chrome the chat can be activated by hitting the "/" button. I can handle multiple PM's by constantly using this one "/r <TXT>"...on android..you need to delete all of the text :(

Ardbeg
05-03-2015, 07:38 AM
For chrome the chat can be activated by hitting the "/" button. I can handle multiple PM's by constantly using this one "/r <TXT>"...on android..you need to delete all of the text :(

i meant the ios (or other) system features we could use to organize and speed up our chat *before* the smart chat was implemented, with the ios example of keyboard shortcuts: for example like typing "/t abg" for "/t ardbeg". this worked fine for me. with current chat this would most likely end up in "/guildchat /t ardbeg" or similar...

Wazakesy
05-03-2015, 08:16 AM
i meant the ios (or other) system features we could use to organize and speed up our chat *before* the smart chat was implemented, with the ios example of keyboard shortcuts: for example like typing "/t abg" for "/t ardbeg". this worked fine for me. with current chat this would most likely end up in "/guildchat /t ardbeg" or similar...

yeah, i know that setting. But the current "SMART" system needs to be obliterated...

Dalmony
05-03-2015, 10:08 AM
What annoys me most about the new chat system is the /r no longer works when I play in Chrome, so not only do I have to delete the (sometimes very long) name of the person I was previously chatting to, I then have to type out the full name of the new person I want to reply to... it's not very snappy and pretty hard to use when doing anything other than just standing in towns.

Ps: I also miss /guildonline it was super useful!!

kinzmet
05-03-2015, 10:25 AM
As a chrome user, the smart chat was good. But I agree that its a pain when playing on mobile.
My suggestion would be, to put a checkbox on the settings. Check if you wanted a smart chat, uncheck if you don't want it.

Serancha
05-03-2015, 12:26 PM
Again, this game was not designed for desktop. Posting the fact that chrome users are able to chat comfortably is not helpful. They are the minority here. It's a mobile game, ergo mobile users are the main demographic and THEIR ability to communicate has been crippled.

STS seems to keep putting it off in hopes we will "get used to it". Well this is not something we can or will get used to.

Zeus
05-03-2015, 02:43 PM
Again, this game was not designed for desktop. Posting the fact that chrome users are able to chat comfortably is not helpful. They are the minority here. It's a mobile game, ergo mobile users are the main demographic and THEIR ability to communicate has been crippled.

STS seems to keep putting it off in hopes we will "get used to it". Well this is not something we can or will get used to.

Yes, I'm a chrome user but I would like to be able to play from the comfort of my bed or sofa sometimes. However, that is not a possibility because I usually throw my device in frustration over this ridiculous smartchat system.

Serancha
05-03-2015, 03:18 PM
Apparently making it optional is what's taking so long. If they insist on having the feature and making it optional, it should be removed until they can do so.

Zeus
05-03-2015, 07:47 PM
Apparently making it optional is what's taking so long. If they insist on having the feature and making it optional, it should be removed until they can do so.

It's not even necessary for Chrome users to have. I could type faster before this was implemented so I really don't see the advantages to it.

Serillia
05-03-2015, 09:01 PM
It's not even necessary for Chrome users to have. I could type faster before this was implemented so I really don't see the advantages to it.

Easy to sell items in towns. You can repeat your older messages much faster.

Zylx
05-03-2015, 10:12 PM
Agreed. And I want them to revert the /r command back to the way it was too. Everything chat related is broken right now

Zeus
05-03-2015, 10:15 PM

Mobile users were not given saved chat feature as what happened in their older games because it generated spam. I believe that this was an unintentional addition to Chrome. Otherwise, it would not make sense to give some players the ability to chat/spam faster than other players.

Lets be real anyways, that "feature" is used to spam more than repeat messages.

Alhuntrazeck
05-03-2015, 11:26 PM
Mobile users were not given saved chat feature as what happened in their older games because it generated spam. I believe that this was an unintentional addition to Chrome. Otherwise, it would not make sense to give some players the ability to chat/spam faster than other players.

Lets be real anyways, that "feature" is used to spam more than repeat messages.
Um...mobile users can repeat old messages by copy-pasting. Chrome does not have that feature. Only difference is spamming is easier on chrome than on mobile because of the delay while pasting.

Serancha
05-04-2015, 12:57 AM
The issue is not how fast someone can spam on a given device. The issue is that the "smartly infuriating" chat is a game breaking feature that should never have been implemented without asking the community if they felt such a thing would be useful.

The fact that some chrome users find it useful is a moot point, due to the fact that we know the game does not operate the same on chrome as on the mobile devices it was developed for. That is why so many exploits are found on chrome by those users. Spammers aside, the problem is for actual players who run maps while trying to coordinate a party, handle multiple pm's to an assortment of people, and run a guild at the same time.

I fail to comprehend why STS has, against the community's repeated requests, kept this feature in place when they are not making the fix a priority. If I encountered this chat failure in a game I was just starting out in, I would be off to find another game before I reached level 10.

Zylx
05-04-2015, 03:19 AM
The issue is not how fast someone can spam on a given device. The issue is that the "smartly infuriating" chat is a game breaking feature that should never have been implemented without asking the community if they felt such a thing would be useful.

The fact that some chrome users find it useful is a moot point, due to the fact that we know the game does not operate the same on chrome as on the mobile devices it was developed for. That is why so many exploits are found on chrome by those users. Spammers aside, the problem is for actual players who run maps while trying to coordinate a party, handle multiple pm's to an assortment of people, and run a guild at the same time.

I fail to comprehend why STS has, against the community's repeated requests, kept this feature in place when they are not making the fix a priority. If I encountered this chat failure in a game I was just starting out in, I would be off to find another game before I reached level 10.

Amen.

Whoever thought this "smart" chat was a good idea didn't really think it through. Chatting with friends was the only thing keeping me in the game, and I'm sick of this abomination of a chat system always screwing it all up, so I really have no reason to log in. "Smart" chat is by far the worst thing ever included in AL.

vfreakhun
05-04-2015, 03:22 AM
The origin of the issue is not spamming and even in Chrome I sometimes forgot to delete the previous chat channel.
Took a while to adapt myself...

BUT what Serillia mentions is VERY ANNOYING.
Some guy really SPAM sometimes ruining town athmosphere.

So I suggest
- to DISABLE sending exactly the same text
- or mute the user after 3 exactly same text for 1-3 minutes (like system does after using dirty words).
- or at least like here in forum have a minimum repetition time.

BTW is it useful/suggested to report for SPAMming?

Wazakesy
05-04-2015, 06:40 AM
Um...mobile users can repeat old messages by copy-pasting. Chrome does not have that feature. Only difference is spamming is easier on chrome than on mobile because of the delay while pasting.

Number HotKeys are useful too[Android]

Zeus
05-04-2015, 10:02 AM

Copy and paste is a software not related to STG.

Mobile users used to have saved chat feature in the other games but it was purposely discontinued in AL to avoid spamming. I can spam around 100+ messages a minute on Chrome and less than half of that on mobile. The game wasn't meant to introduce spamming and I think typing a few more lines when selling items never hurt anyone.

Alhuntrazeck
05-04-2015, 10:14 AM

Mobile users used to have saved chat feature in the other games but it was purposely discontinued in AL to avoid spamming. I can spam around 100+ messages a minute on Chrome and less than half of that on mobile. The game wasn't meant to introduce spamming and I think typing a few more lines when selling items never hurt anyone.

That's all very well, but the fact remains that while merching you'll often want to change towns to reach a wider audience. Typing a long message like some (like Zephy) do - "Buying so-and-so / so-and-so // Selling so-and-so / so-and-so PM me" will only be easy for people with WPMs crossing the 80s. However mobile users can still do this. I don't see how it's gonna make much difference if it stays tbh.

By all means remove the smart chat system but please, let this remain.

(For the record, my WPM is 110 so this wouldn't overly affect me. I also own an android device & would play on that if I didn't prefer PC so much.)

Serillia
05-04-2015, 10:14 AM

It does hurt if you're in a rush to sell something and you find typing not so easy .-.

Serancha
05-05-2015, 10:07 AM
It's much faster to type "message here" than it is to delete "/tell Serillia" in order to type "message here" in town after someone has pm'd you - just an example.

Also faster to type /g without having to delete /partychat first.

Oursizes
05-05-2015, 08:51 PM
But then what if you want to stick to one chat channel? Most wouldn't want to keep typing /g or /p over and over to say something

Caabatric
05-05-2015, 09:31 PM
But then what if you want to stick to one chat channel? Most wouldn't want to keep typing /g or /p over and over to say something

Most people dont mind as it is less than a second however when deleting something it gets quite frustrating..
also doing that is faster when in mid run and u want to say something

Serancha
05-05-2015, 11:48 PM

That was STS's concept of this chat system. What they didn't consider is that only 1% of the population sticks to a single chat channel for more than 5 minutes at a time.

It's not annoying to type /g. What is annoying is having to delete /partychat to answer a guild question and then delete /guildchat to say something to your party the next time you try to talk. We were all perfectly happy typing /g /p /o /t /r. It was NOT broken when that was the case.

The system as it stands now is making people not want to play.

Wazakesy
05-05-2015, 11:58 PM

[No offense]

The system was like this for years, and nobody bothered to have any changes for the chat systems.

That being said, The smart chat system was never suggested by a community member, the change was automatically introduced by the Dev team. The chat system(earlier) was very good indeed, repeating was not a problem and nobody cared if they had to type 100 sentences with typing "/g" along with it. You never had to delete the whole stuff over and over again to switch out chats(below)

[chat switching = Earlier]

/g hallo

/p wassup guys, ready to run? :D

/o Nah, he's a good guy. Dont kick him!!

/partyi "smart chat system"

/guildo*

[System demonstration end == Run time -> 30s]

* = Guildo stands for GuildOnline, the chat box will display whoever is online in the current guild you are in. Was very useful :/

[Chat System = Current]

/g hallo

*opens chat*
*deletes "/Guildchat"*

/p wassup guys ready to run? :D

*opens chat*
*deletes /partychat*

/o no dont kick him.......

/guildo*

* = This has been removed :/

[System Demonstration End == Runtime -> X < 75s]

Niixed
05-06-2015, 11:31 PM
I have to agree with Zeus. Please, please make it stop asap. It's also very problematic for new players. We have emoticons, why not chaticons??

Zeus
05-06-2015, 11:45 PM
I have to agree with Zeus. Please, please make it stop asap. It's also very problematic for new players. We have emoticons, why not chaticons??

It's so bad that I can see people trying to send a message in PVP to communicate w/ their opponents and then die because they didn't have enough time to delete, then retype what they want which was a simple two letters: rg.

Serillia
05-07-2015, 01:39 AM
It's much faster to type "message here" than it is to delete "/tell Serillia" in order to type "message here" in town after someone has pm'd you - just an example.

Also faster to type /g without having to delete /partychat first.

I meant in chrome .-.

Jirikjurasek
05-07-2015, 01:45 AM
I see more simply solution: let smart chat as it is with small "text" change:

when you open chat (after previous message into guildchat, instead of "/guildchat |" make it "/g|"
| is position of cursor, which is very important. The result will be:

open chat - "/g Hello" - open chat - delete "g" - type "p lets go" - open chat - type " up"
instead of
open chat - "/g Hello" - open chat - delete "tahcdliug" - type "p lets go" - open chat - type " up"

That means delete ONLY 1 letter, or hit spacer ONCE for switch between chats.

Serancha
05-07-2015, 12:43 PM
I see more simply solution: let smart chat as it is with small "text" change:

when you open chat (after previous message into guildchat, instead of "/guildchat |" make it "/g|"
| is position of cursor, which is very important. The result will be:

open chat - "/g Hello" - open chat - delete "g" - type "p lets go" - open chat - type " up"
instead of
open chat - "/g Hello" - open chat - delete "tahcdliug" - type "p lets go" - open chat - type " up"

That means delete ONLY 1 letter, or hit spacer ONCE for switch between chats.

This was suggested also, when this ridiculous system was implemented. Now it's 6 months later and the best answer we get is "we're working on making it optional but can't give any indication on when this will happen". Which, from prior experience means that it's on a list somewhere and might be addressed in another 12-18 months.

Alottabit
05-07-2015, 05:41 PM
This was suggested also, when this ridiculous system was implemented. Now it's 6 months later and the best answer we get is "we're working on making it optional but can't give any indication on when this will happen". Which, from prior experience means that it's on a list somewhere and might be addressed in another 12-18 months.

/Ouch. The work for toggling smart chat is complete, so barring any unfortunate circumstances, it will go out with the next (1.2.5.0) client.

Zeus
05-07-2015, 08:31 PM
/Ouch. The work for toggling smart chat is complete, so barring any unfortunate circumstances, it will go out with the next (1.2.5.0) client.

I believe this is appropriate...

Seriously, thank you!

Wazakesy
05-07-2015, 11:51 PM
those ppl who liked the chat would be like...

Serancha
05-08-2015, 02:22 AM

/hugs Thanks for the update. We shall keep our fingers crossed.

Zylx
05-08-2015, 02:43 AM

http://media4.giphy.com/media/hQhnbHCyrWlFu/giphy.gif

Astrea
05-08-2015, 03:51 PM
I believe this is appropriate...

Seriously, thank you!

FYI: the Lord has nothing to do with this...

kinzmet
05-10-2015, 04:15 PM

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/159299/no-way-o.gif
NO WAY!

The game is not just a mobile-game anymore since the cross-platform. Its a cross-platform game now, both users of mobile and PC should be able enjoy the game the way they like it. Removing the smart-chat just because mobile users don't like it means STS wasted efforts on the smart-chat.

To make both mobile and PC users happy, there should be check button on setting to enable/disable the smart-chat.

Alottabit
05-11-2015, 10:55 AM
To make both mobile and PC users happy, there should be check button on setting to enable/disable the smart-chat.

I agree - that's what I meant by toggle. You'll be able to enable/disable it as a game option.

Wazakesy
05-11-2015, 10:59 AM
I agree - that's what I meant by toggle. You'll be able to enable/disable it as a game option.

well, when could we expect this option to go live alotta? Would it be the expansion or...can it not just happen soon...the system is really annoying...

kinzmet
05-11-2015, 11:28 AM

Thanks for clarifying. :D

Alottabit
05-11-2015, 11:43 AM
well, when could we expect this option to go live alotta? Would it be the expansion or...can it not just happen soon...the system is really annoying...

Understood. Unfortunately, this requires a new client, so we can't just role it out with the weekly community fixes. I'm not sure on the exact time frame, but it'll be around expansion time.

Zeus
05-11-2015, 11:51 AM
Understood. Unfortunately, this requires a new client, so we can't just role it out with the weekly community fixes. I'm not sure on the exact time frame, but it'll be around expansion time.

As long as y'all never ever break an essential communication feature again we will all be grateful! Thank you, Alotta, you da man! :)

Ghoul
05-12-2015, 09:18 PM
I don't get it.

This issue is not as pressing as some others that are prevalent in the game. Yet you, STS, choose, out of ALL THINGS, to fix the chat system. THIS IS AN MMORPG. Chatting is not the main feature of the game. This isn't Club Penguin dammit. There are so many more issues in the game that any developer would take into reckoning instead of a quote-unquote essential communication feature. Is the main goal of the game "killing stuffs dead" or "/g hi sir can I has gold sir pl0x /r hi sir can I has gold sir pl0x /p hi sir can I has gold sir pl0x".

Just because a certain, well-known forumer suggests it does not mean you have to actually change something that was not a bug in the first place. I certainly hope you're not gonna spend all your time on this and instead focus on actual game issues such as the state of CTF and many other bugs. A forumer called MADNEX has compiled a huge list of bugs and it is simply laughable that you do not spend your attention on those.

Looks like Smart Chat is going to be changed regardless, so there is no point in me arguing the case. I am a mobile user and will find this slightly more helpful but that is all. Slightly more helpful. Nothing game-changing. Nothing worth taking an actual look at.

Serancha
05-12-2015, 10:56 PM
I don't get it.

This issue is not as pressing as some others that are prevalent in the game. Yet you, STS, choose, out of ALL THINGS, to fix the chat system. THIS IS AN MMORPG. Chatting is not the main feature of the game. This isn't Club Penguin dammit. There are so many more issues in the game that any developer would take into reckoning instead of a quote-unquote essential communication feature. Is the main goal of the game "killing stuffs dead" or "/g hi sir can I has gold sir pl0x /r hi sir can I has gold sir pl0x /p hi sir can I has gold sir pl0x".

Just because a certain, well-known forumer suggests it does not mean you have to actually change something that was not a bug in the first place. I certainly hope you're not gonna spend all your time on this and instead focus on actual game issues such as the state of CTF and many other bugs. A forumer called MADNEX has compiled a huge list of bugs and it is simply laughable that you do not spend your attention on those.

Looks like Smart Chat is going to be changed regardless, so there is no point in me arguing the case. I am a mobile user and will find this slightly more helpful but that is all. Slightly more helpful. Nothing game-changing. Nothing worth taking an actual look at.

Do you not belong to a guild and run in parties? Do you not sell items and have people pming you to ask about prices? Do you not have friends who pm you when you are already in a party asking you if you want to run? When you get 300+ end game runners on your friend list, run elites frequently, sell the loot you find, and manage a guild at the same time, then maybe you will have some perspective as to the reason this fix is necessary.

Looking at your forum account date, I would suspect you haven't even played long enough to know how the chat system is supposed to work - ie how it did for the 2 years before the current system was implemented. Therefore some of your attitude may be excused due to being uninformed.

They are not changing it because a well known forumer asked. They have been working on a fix for some time because the majority of the forumers - many of those who represent guilds with hundreds of players in each - have been requesting it for the 6 months since the feature was implemented. This thread served to get a response as to when the fix will be implemented, but it was not the cause for the fix in itself.

Wazakesy
05-12-2015, 11:58 PM

Thanks alotta, so this update is actually tied to the client, so the update affecting alot needs to be a client or is it mist likely that during expansions a new client is applied?

when you guys upgraded the chat into smart chat - was that also a client upgrade?

Thanks for your super fast response as well.

Jirikjurasek
05-13-2015, 12:48 AM
Thanks alotta, so this update is actually tied to the client, so the update affecting alot needs to be a client...

As my previous experience from another mmorpg, client contains user interface. Enable/disable smart chat as next check box in option menu is intervention to the interface

Remiem
05-13-2015, 09:11 AM
Alright, I think this thread has run its course. Thank you so much for your feedback and suggestions. We'll talk more about Smart Chat in an upcoming weekly update. <3