PDA

View Full Version : Found an iPod Touch on the train today

xxteargodxx
04-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Found it on a train this morning as a bunch of high school kids were getting off around lunch time. I'm assuming it belonged to one of them. I feel weird finding something like this.

http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/8849/img20110402231138.jpg

Arterra
04-02-2011, 10:08 PM
4g and everything. wow

if you get the chance, you can give it back. if you dont, pretty much yours. reset it tho if you do.

ps, before giving it back, install PL ;)

Lesrider
04-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Post on craigslist lost & found?
Just don't post the photo and make sure they can answer some questions about it to prove it's theirs.

Ellyidol
04-02-2011, 10:09 PM
Wow.

Yeah I'd do what Arterra said, do the right thing by trying to give it back first, if not, meant to be yours :P

Arterra
04-02-2011, 10:11 PM
OH! idea: check the email app so you can email "themselves" that you have their ipod. or something similar if you can

Ellyidol
4G is the latest yeah?

So its exactly like an iPhone 4 except there's no phone capabilities? :O

Arterra
wait a minute... is that WINTERBOARD? they jailbroke that, they got no warranty ;)

xxteargodxx
04-02-2011, 10:12 PM
I want to try and return it, I'm not sure how to go about doing it though. I don't want to give it to the transit company's lost & found simply because I don't trust people in lost & found departments I *know* they will pocket electronics the minute they show up. I am thinking of putting up signs stating that I found it with my phone number and the owner can have it if they verify the serial number.

Lesrider
OH! idea: check the email app so you can email "themselves" that you have their ipod. or something similar if you can

Yeah that does seem like the easiest way, since it's not a phone.

Arterra

repeating for you. everyone quote that too

Lesrider
04-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Man it must suck to lose an iDevice -- the FB app stays logged in, so you can basically go on there and mess around if you were that kind of person.
So much access to personal info.
Let this be a reminder to keep your iDevices close to you at all times.

Ellyidol
04-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Man it must suck to lose an iDevice -- the FB app stays logged in, so you can basically go on there and mess around if you were that kind of person.

That's why I love Find my iDevice too.

I tried using it on a 3GS, but says its not compatible with that phone but works on my iPhone 4.

Ladylove
04-02-2011, 10:17 PM

Mine doesn't even leave the house, except on rare occasion. I have an old ipod nano for my car and itouch for PL lol.

Arterra
04-02-2011, 10:17 PM

another way to give it back :) post a location and time to meet or something

Ladylove
04-02-2011, 10:19 PM
another way to give it back :) post a location and time to meet or something

Noo he should send a ransom note. It's much more creepy.

Lesrider
04-02-2011, 10:19 PM
That's why I love Find my iDevice too.

I tried using it on a 3GS, but says its not compatible with that phone but works on my iPhone 4.

Just did a quick search for that, and it looks like it only works if you have two iDevices? What a rip! Should make it accessible by pc as well.

xxteargodxx
04-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Checked e-mail app, nothing there, nothing in contacts.

Arterra
04-02-2011, 10:21 PM

if it is jailbroken, check cydia for email... if not, then appstore for account email...

Ellyidol
04-02-2011, 10:22 PM
Just did a quick search for that, and it looks like it only works if you have two iDevices? What a rip! Should make it accessible by pc as well.

I think it works on PC. I can look for my iDevice through PC.

Has a website for it I think, let me check.

Yup :

www.me.com

Mobileme account etc though.

xxteargodxx
04-02-2011, 10:23 PM
Ah yeah, bingo that's where it was found it in appstore. Maybe I'll send them an email.

Ellyidol
04-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Imagine if you lived in Texas and found this device.

Saw it had PL, log in, and find JustG's character in there...

(imagines the possibilities)

LIGHTNINGLORD67
04-02-2011, 10:26 PM
4g and everything. wow

if you get the chance, you can give it back. if you dont, pretty much yours. reset it tho if you do.

ps, before giving it back, install PL ;)

Rofl at the last part

giayuan
04-02-2011, 10:34 PM
I would do the email to self thing. Imagine the panic if it were a highschooler... those things are STILL 250 you know.. i have iphone 3, afraid to get 4 LOL

RedRyder
04-02-2011, 10:38 PM
Shoulda checked if Facebook was logged in, and post a status as the person. If you can help it, get it back to the owner. I've had an iPod stolen from me twice (iPod nano 1st gen and iPod touch 2g) and it really sucks. I at least got the incentive to buying the 4g iPod touch and it's great lol. And an iPhone4 Monday :)

Should I keep te touch for extra memory?

LADYHADASSA
04-02-2011, 10:43 PM
I pods also have cereal numbers registered to i tunes, I tunes has billing info and can contact the owner for you, look in contacts look for a mom or dad contact aunt uncle and so forth, family is in general quick grape vines lol,

Rule of thumb if I lost my phone pos or pad i would want somone to try their best, and younwill rest with clear mind :)

Lesrider
04-02-2011, 10:47 PM
Shoulda checked if Facebook was logged in, and post a status as the person. If you can help it, get it back to the owner. I've had an iPod stolen from me twice (iPod nano 1st gen and iPod touch 2g) and it really sucks. I at least got the incentive to buying the 4g iPod touch and it's great lol. And an iPhone4 Monday :)

Why you buying an iPhone 4 now? Won't 5 come out in the summer?

Durnam
04-02-2011, 10:57 PM

i have similar story, lost ipod nano at school then as soon as 1st gen touch came out bought it, lost touch at football game, waited a year for the 4th gen touch to come out (was waiting for the camera ipod), if i hadnt lost the touch i wouldnt be playing pocket legends

FATE I TELL YOU!, FATE!

Frenzyn
04-03-2011, 01:24 AM
Keep it.
http://www.robertjschwalb.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/dr-evil.jpg

Necrobane
04-03-2011, 01:33 AM
Jump on fb, it may be signed into their account.

Necrobane
04-03-2011, 01:34 AM
Lol, didn't see Red's post, nvm ;)

xxteargodxx
04-03-2011, 08:43 AM
I think I'm gonna keep it, I'll stick to my "finders keepers" rule. Sorry if any of ya think of me as a jerk for such but oh well. Also I'm not gonna mess with their facebook :P I'm not mean.

Ellyidol
04-03-2011, 08:49 AM
I think I'm gonna keep it, I'll stick to my "finders keepers" rule. Sorry if any of ya think of me as a jerk for such but oh well. Also I'm not gonna mess with their facebook :P I'm not mean.

Not really a jerk, just doing the right thing would feel nice.

Imagine how happy you'd make that person (teenager or minor maybe) feel if you do return his iDevice.

RedRyder
04-03-2011, 08:53 AM
Why you buying an iPhone 4 now? Won't 5 come out in the summer?

No idea, but I'll just upgrade if anything. I'm tired of blackberry's lol.

And Teargod idk why youd say you were gonna post up posters and what not just to say you're gonna keep it? Waste of a thread and terrible on your part. I hope karma bites you in the rear end

Lesrider
04-03-2011, 08:56 AM

Wow are you serious? Think about how you would feel if you lost yours. Not even gonna TRY to give it back? That's disgusting.

MoarPewPew
04-03-2011, 08:58 AM

You sir are making a poor choice. This shows alot about your integrity and moral values.

Ellyidol
04-03-2011, 09:03 AM

Also, to be honest, I'd rather you mess with my Facebook and return the device rather than vice-versa. :(

RedRyder
04-03-2011, 09:27 AM
Glad I don't stand alone. Such great morals you have tear.

Zeus
04-03-2011, 09:28 AM

At least have the courtesy to attempt to return it.

xxteargodxx
04-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Reason why I said I'd put up posters is because I didn't think I'd find the persons email on the device. You guys are free to think what you like of me, that's fine.I guess my post already pissed majority of you off so it wouldn't make much of a difference if I did e-mail him/her and try and return it, you'd all probably still think of me as a jerk.

Lesrider
04-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Reason why I said I'd put up posters is because I didn't think I'd find the persons email on the device. You guys are free to think what you like of me, that's fine.I guess my post already pissed majority of you off so it wouldn't make much of a difference if I did e-mail him/her and try and return it, you'd all probably still think of me as a jerk.

Your choices in life shouldn't be based off what a few strangers on a forum think. If you can't make the right decision on your own, it says a lot about you. And if your own conscience doesn't stop you from making this decision, you should take a good close look at yourself.

As far as I'm concerned, if you don't try to find the owner, you might as well have stolen it. This is a device that could possibly be traced back to the owner (FB or iTunes account, etc). We're not talking a regular iPod that's hard to distinguish the owner. Even then, it would be nice to make SOME attempt to find the owner. But in this case even more so. You're saying you didn't even try looking at their Facebook, and have no intention of doing so, even though it could help you track down the owner. Not cool.

FluffNStuff
04-03-2011, 10:36 AM
Was gonna post that you should install PL before returning it, but it seams there are more important issues. Like perhaps returning it.

Lesrider
04-03-2011, 10:49 AM
Was gonna post that you should install PL before returning it, but it seams there are more important issues. Like perhaps returning it.

He wouldn't be able to anyway, bc you need the iTunes password to install even free apps.

Zeus
04-03-2011, 10:54 AM
He wouldn't be able to anyway, bc you need the iTunes password to install even free apps.

Nah, you can change the Itunes account hooked up to it by going to settings- app store, and changing the account to yours. He could download it and then take off his info and still have the app. Of course, he won't be doing that though since he isn't planning on returning it. Just lost a lot of respect in my eyes.

j46g629h
04-03-2011, 11:19 AM
It will be okay to keep it if you've tried to find the owner because it is hard for you and the owner to find each other,

I suggest at least you open the facebook app to see if you can contact one of his friends to say that you got his ipod touch

RedRyder
04-03-2011, 11:46 AM
It will be okay to keep it if you've tried to find the owner because it is hard for you and the owner to find each other,

I suggest at least you open the facebook app to see if you can contact one of his friends to say that you got his ipod touch

Yea but he's making no effort to find the owner. It's as simple as going on their fb and posting a status saying that he found the iPod and how to contact him. He's probably gonna say that the guy wasn't logged in or something anyways.
I feel so bad for the owner

Lesrider
04-03-2011, 11:54 AM
Not even sure why he made this thread. Was he hoping we'd all tell him to keep it so his conscience can rest easy?

RedRyder
04-03-2011, 12:04 PM
Exactly my guess

Lesrider
04-03-2011, 12:10 PM
Btw, teargod, it's a HORRIBLE feeling to lose your phone or wallet (both have happened to me and neither were returned -- wallet was actually stolen). I'm guessing it's never happened to you since you're so eager to keep it. Just imagine if it did happen to you -- I'm sure you'd be upset and hope that the person who found it had the integrity to try and contact you.

Zojak
04-03-2011, 12:18 PM
Not even sure why he made this thread. Was he hoping we'd all tell him to keep it so his conscience can rest easy?

Thats my guess. Thats a pretty crappy thing to do for sure, you could at leased TRY to contact the kid who owns that.

Teargod Imagine if you were 15-16 years old and just got a new 400$ device and lost it. Yeah it would make you feel pretty crappy wouldn't it? Man i don't even know you and i have absolutely zero respect for you, and had you returned it, or even tried, you would have gotten mad props.

xxteargodxx
04-03-2011, 12:26 PM
Well I decided to shoot the person an email and let them know I got their ipod. I'll give it a week or so.

RedRyder
04-03-2011, 12:40 PM
Lol he warranted himself as a douche already

Otukura
04-03-2011, 01:57 PM
Well I decided to shoot the person an email and let them know I got their ipod. I'll give it a week or so.

Bluffing? hmm

xxteargodxx
04-03-2011, 04:55 PM
Okay so I'm officially a bad person because I thought about keeping something that wasn't mine? Anyway nope, not bluffing what would you like? Email proof lol? Here have it, and yes it's been edited I've took my email address off the screen as I only want people I know to have it.

http://img291.imageshack.us/img291/6546/emailic.jpg

Lesrider
04-03-2011, 05:00 PM

So what was this? How did you get the email?
Which one was a lie?

xxteargodxx
04-03-2011, 05:02 PM
So what was this? How did you get the email?
Which one was a lie?
Like I said, wasn't in the e-mail application and there was nothing in the contacts. Email was in the app store application.

Arterra
04-03-2011, 05:24 PM
ENOUGH HATE wow Les you went all out... frankly i can see the point of keeping it, tho AFTER at least tried to return it.

anyways, can you blame tear? i think half the posts on page one had something about keeping it in them. even if he decided to keep it from the get go (remember he was trying to return it to begin with), no reason to go all flaming on him.

xxteargodxx
04-03-2011, 06:47 PM
Just got an email back from her, not sure what to do now. She says she's from Germany visiting with her fiancee for the weekend and are heading back home their flight leaves in 45 minutes.

j46g629h
04-04-2011, 11:29 AM
Just got an email back from her, not sure what to do now. She says she's from Germany visiting with her fiancee for the weekend and are heading back home their flight leaves in 45 minutes.

you don't have to provide the proof because some people don't believe you

I will suggest that you ask her again to see if she wants you to post it back on her own cost

after that, that's fine to keep it if still can't return it or they don't want it

it's not your faults, they lost ipod touch because of careless

you could just keep it and say nothing but you did try to return it

only 15 yrs kid will cry so bad just for losing a ipod touch

StompArtist
04-04-2011, 11:32 AM
I would keep it. Yeah it's a bad thing to say but I would. Sorry, I am a bad person. :D

xxteargodxx
04-04-2011, 12:19 PM
Oh I won't be posting anymore proof, if people don't want to believe me hey that's fine by me. I know I won't be losing sleep over it. Only reason I posted an image of the email was to get one of these people off my back but oh well. I did in fact email her back last night asking if she wants me to mail it to her of course I told her she would be paying the fees cause I know I sure as hell won't.

Haven't gotten an email back from her yet though.

RedRyder
04-04-2011, 12:56 PM
Oh I won't be posting anymore proof, if people don't want to believe me hey that's fine by me. I know I won't be losing sleep over it. Only reason I posted an image of the email was to get one of these people off my back but oh well. I did in fact email her back last night asking if she wants me to mail it to her of course I told her she would be paying the fees cause I know I sure as hell won't.

Haven't gotten an email back from her yet though.

at least now you can say you tried. and a shipping fee is a small price to pay for a $300 USD+ item.

Arterra
04-04-2011, 01:06 PM
you could give it to her fiancee and have HIM send it to her...

xxteargodxx
04-04-2011, 01:09 PM
you could give it to her fiancee and have HIM send it to her...
How can I do that when they are in Germany?

Arterra
04-04-2011, 01:11 PM
didnt you say she came to visit her fiancee? or was it some vacation? i was under the impression she had a relative/friend here

BeardedBear
04-04-2011, 01:14 PM
I remember I found a diamond ring in my work parking lot. I turned it in to lost and found and it got back to the owner. I was shocked at the lack of appreciation she had that i found and gave back a few karat sized ring.

I was kind of aggravated about this, but I'm not a thief so I wouldn't have felt right keeping it. Don't base returning something on the reward factor.

Also, this is a just a video game forum, so do whatever you want. :)

Lesrider
04-04-2011, 01:17 PM
You could also ask if she has any friends that live here who can hold onto it for her.
If she doesn't respond to the emails, there's not much you can do, and then she obviously doesn't care enough to get it back. But try to give her options.

xxteargodxx
04-04-2011, 01:34 PM
didnt you say she came to visit her fiancee? or was it some vacation? i was under the impression she had a relative/friend here
She said she was visiting with her fiancee, they are both from Germany.

I remember I found a diamond ring in my work parking lot. I turned it in to lost and found and it got back to the owner. I was shocked at the lack of appreciation she had that i found and gave back a few karat sized ring.

I was kind of aggravated about this, but I'm not a thief so I wouldn't have felt right keeping it. Don't base returning something on the reward factor.

Also, this is a just a video game forum, so do whatever you want. :)
Yep that's exactly what I'm doing. I'm keeping in contact with her now and if she is willing to pay to have it shipped back to her that's fine by me. Otherwise I'm not paying to return it.

You could also ask if she has any friends that live here who can hold onto it for her.
If she doesn't respond to the emails, there's not much you can do, and then she obviously doesn't care enough to get it back. But try to give her options.
I'll see what she says if she responds to the email and I'll go from there.

CowboyJim
04-04-2011, 02:12 PM
If i found it and could ascertain the person it belonged to, I would mail it back to them if given the proper address......and pay for the postage myself....or you could have just left it on the train for someone else to deal with.......

Arterra
04-04-2011, 05:05 PM
lol paying for postage or not is not evil and good, let it up people. at least she gets her freaking itouch back!

forum moral discussions make my teeth grate against each other...

xxteargodxx
04-04-2011, 06:59 PM
I got another email from her about an hour ago, she says she doesn't want to pay for shipping costs cause it's not within her budget. Shipping an item to someone another country away isn't in my budget either so I'm not paying out of my pocket to ship it out to her. She didn't mention anything other than that so I don't know.

j46g629h
04-04-2011, 08:32 PM
keep it and restore the device, that's it

Moogerfooger
04-04-2011, 09:10 PM
I got another email from her about an hour ago, she says she doesn't want to pay for shipping costs cause it's not within her budget. Shipping an item to someone another country away isn't in my budget either so I'm not paying out of my pocket to ship it out to her. She didn't mention anything other than that so I don't know.

Shipping an item that small to Germany costs $13 via US Postal Service Express International flat rate for a small box. If she doesn't want to spend $13 for a $300 item, well at least you contacted her and offered.

krazii
04-04-2011, 09:20 PM
If i found it and could ascertain the person it belonged to, I would mail it back to them if given the proper address......and pay for the postage myself....or you could have just left it on the train for someone else to deal with.......

Way to Cowboy Up Jim! I agree, do a nice thing for somebody else and just send it to her at your cost. If you do I'll give you 10k gold so you don't feel so bad!!!!!

Kraz

Vallist
04-04-2011, 09:46 PM
good find! but if you want to return it, take the ipod and put it back where you found it on the train and wait for the owner to find it. :rolleyes:

xxteargodxx
04-04-2011, 11:41 PM
I dont have $13 to spare. Nothing left for me to say other than I guess I will keep it unless she emails me back saying she will pay to have it shipped back to her.

Sure I probably shouldnt have took it from the train but I did, and whats done is done. I'm not going to go and put it back on the train that would just be stupid.

Moogerfooger
04-05-2011, 12:25 AM
good find! but if you want to return it, take the ipod and put it back where you found it on the train and wait for the owner to find it. :rolleyes:

If you had read the thread, you'd have seen the owner is from Germany and already back there :D

UniitsHD
04-05-2011, 12:53 AM
If I was you I would umm... not sure...

StompArtist
04-05-2011, 08:52 AM
I dont have $13 to spare. Nothing left for me to say other than I guess I will keep it unless she emails me back saying she will pay to have it shipped back to her.

Sure I probably shouldnt have took it from the train but I did, and whats done is done. I'm not going to go and put it back on the train that would just be stupid.

Just keep the darn thing and stop torturing yourself.