PDA

View Full Version : Curious, how does PL client numbering work?

Ellyidol
04-04-2011, 07:56 AM
I'm curious how the PL Client numbering is determined.

Take for example, BS came out in v1.7, while the next update is called 1.7.1.

Does it only become 1.8 if a new level cap is introduced with it?

I was only around since mid Ao2, so I'm not really aware of how the numbering works, I'm just curious mainly :)

Conradin
04-04-2011, 07:58 AM
yes, we will probably get to say 1.7.6 or so before the 1.8 patch comes out. if it goes past 9 idk what they will do

Lesrider
04-04-2011, 08:00 AM
I was wondering the same, since I thought the last few updates went straight from 1.5 -> 1.6 -> 1.7

Echelong
04-04-2011, 08:01 AM
They are using the second number as expansions and the third number to new patch builds that don't use an expansion. Expansions been new areas not necessarily level caps.

Ellyidol
04-04-2011, 08:02 AM
I was wondering the same, since I thought the last few updates went straight from 1.5 -> 1.6 -> 1.7

True.

All recent updates have been a 1.X (XXXXXX) type of numbering, the last 1.X.X I see in the patch notes is from 1.4.1.

Lesrider
04-04-2011, 08:06 AM
They are using the second number as expansions and the third number to new patch builds that don't use an expansion. Expansions been new areas not necessarily level caps.

Hmmm. Still not clear, bc weren't some of those updates just for nerfs/rebalances, not necessarily new content?

Echelong
04-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Hmmm. Still not clear, bc weren't some of those updates just for nerfs/rebalances, not necessarily new content?

Yeah also a change in the UI would make them change the app build(if thats the correct word for it; I'm referring to changes that affect the skills like GCD amd stuff like that) Maybe they can't change that with a regular patch; due to technical stuff or apple regulations.

This is speculation but its the only reason I see they would add the third number.

Riccits
04-04-2011, 08:33 AM
the second number of a software means the underfunktions, the third stands more for bugfixes, so the 1.7.1 has not really much more functions but fixed some errors etc. i think we well have the 1.8 with guilds, even when theres no new level cap.
they need to recompile the app bcz they cant solve/implement some bugs/routines with content packs only

Leiver
04-04-2011, 08:47 AM
For information... Standard procedure for app build numbers would be 1.7 then 1.8 then 1.9 then 1.10 then 1.11 etc
Middle number can be anything into hundreds doesn't necessarily have to be limited to a single digit. So when we are on release 12, build 3. The app build number will be 1.12.3

This middle number will be increased for major updates for new content, such as added maps, quests, item sets etc. Level caps may be changed as a part of such an update

The third number is typically used as a minor update. So in this game that would be used when tweaks are made such as bug fixes, changes to item stats, small graphical updates etc

First number is for major game versions and is called the 'version number'
Second number is the 'release' and third number is the 'build'

I'm nothing to do with STS dev team but I am an experienced software developer so figured I would share my thoughts with you all to help clear this up.

Anything else like that you would like clarified etc I'd be happy to help :-)

Ellyidol
04-04-2011, 08:52 AM
For information... Standard procedure for app build numbers would be 1.7 then 1.8 then 1.9 then 1.10 then 1.11 etc
Middle number can be anything into hundreds doesn't necessarily have to be limited to a single digit. So when we are on release 12, build 3. The app build number will be 1.12.3

This middle number will be increased for major updates for new content, such as added maps, quests, item sets etc. Level caps may be changed as a part of such an update

The third number is typically used as a minor update. So in this game that would be used when tweaks are made such as bug fixes, changes to item stats, small graphical updates etc

First number is for major game versions and is called the 'version number'
Second number is the 'release' and third number is the 'build'

I'm nothing to do with STS dev team but I am an experienced software developer so figured I would share my thoughts with you all to help clear this up.

Anything else like that you would like clarified etc I'd be happy to help :-)

Thanks for the explanation!

I'm still a bit confused though, since they've used the "release" type of numbering even for the smallest fixes, as can be seen in the patch notes.

Leiver
04-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Inconsistencies can happen. Different people have different ideas of what a major or minor update is. Depends on the mood of the developer who compiled the file

drewcapu
04-04-2011, 09:21 AM
yes, we will probably get to say 1.7.6 or so before the 1.8 patch comes out. if it goes past 9 idk what they will do

Some software companies actually do x.x.10 and x.x.11 versioning after x.x.9
Yeah, it's not correct according to my abacus, but the intent is visually understood.