PDA

View Full Version : The reason behind apparently inaccurate stats!

Nightarcher
04-04-2011, 06:07 PM
I've seen many people make observations such as:

My [weapon name] does 10-20 damage, but when I equip it, my damage is increased by 12-22! Why??

One thing many people fail to take into account when making builds, or adjusting stats, is the amount of DEX, STR, or INT that the gear actually gives you. DEX increases things like your Hit, Crit, and Damage, and gear that gives you DEX will increase those stats beyond the equpiment's stats due to the nature of the DEX it gives you.

I'll make a hypothetical example below to demonstrate the key point:

Mr. Generic Bird

hypothetical situation:

--2 DEX increases your hit% by 1. (just as an example)
--Mr. Bird has 200 stat points max, and for the sake of simplification, he has 0 base hit% and DEX.

1. So, let's say your bird pumps it all into DEX. He has 100 hit%.
2. He has a bow which gives 10 DEX and 7 hit%.
3. When equipping the bow, he notices that he has not 107 hit%, but 112. He is confused.

The stats given by your equipment add into your base and act as though you put points into there naturally.

-----

For some of you, this might be a "NO DUH!" subject. But it's something that confuses many people and I've made calculation mistakes based on it. This thread is for the increasing-ism-ness of the knowledge and awareness of the general community! Now, because your equipment may increase one of your 3 main stats (STR/DEX/INT) beyond its natural maximum, the two ways to make sure your builds are 100% accurate is:

1. Buy and equip the gear yourself.

2. Sit in a van outside Physiological's house and kidnap him, forcing you to tell you the exact calculation for how 1 point of STR/DEX/INT affects your stats. Then you can either do the math yourself or force him to.

But seriously, the stats screen is 100% accurate when telling exactly the amount of each stat we have. A small variation is due to us not factoring in something or doing the math wrong. ;)

giayuan
04-04-2011, 09:23 PM
Oh LOL so obvious!! yet all of us miss it! or maybe im just clueless ;P

Wushu
04-05-2011, 07:44 AM
2. Sit in a van outside Physiological's house and kidnap him, forcing you to tell you the exact calculation for how 1 point of STR/DEX/INT affects your stats. Then you can either do the math yourself or force him to.

Please provide detailed coordinates to Physio's house...

Otukura
04-05-2011, 09:54 AM
If i equip a weapon, it adds the min damage but the max damage is reduved by six.

FluffNStuff
04-05-2011, 09:59 AM
If i equip a weapon, it adds the min damage but the max damage is reduved by six.

This is the real 'conundrum'. It seems fists have 'damage'.

drewcapu
04-05-2011, 10:15 AM
I'm sure there are also cases where the item description has a typo. Either that or there's some not-too-obvious rounding going on.

You can even see it in some BS gear where a L53 item is completely identical to a L51 except for one stat, like armor, and the increase when you equip one vs the other doesn't match the item descriptions.

noneo
04-05-2011, 11:06 AM
You are right that attributes add certain amounts of points various stats. However, this is not the only thing which causes the unmatched damage. Try this; unequip everything, then record your damage min and max. Now, equip something that gives you +STR/INT/DEX points, record the amount. The value for Min and Max should be 1 and 7 (1-6?) less than expected (respectivly).

Now, unequip that item and equip an item that gives a different amount of +DEX/INT/STR points. It will still give 1 and 7 less than expected damage. This is caused by our "Fists" being able to deal damage. When we "Unequip" our fists, we lose that 1 & 7 damage.

Also, if you want a calculator for you stats. I put one together here:
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?22454-Noneo-s-Attribute-Calculator-Perfect-Your-Build&p=245256#post245256
And I am finishing up a new version of if with drop-down item selections.

neko
04-05-2011, 11:25 AM
Please provide detailed coordinates to Physio's house...

Too late, he's already in my van. :D

Redbridge
04-05-2011, 01:55 PM
Too late, he's already in my van. :D

Woooaaa! Wait a second? If you've got him in your van, who's this ive got tied up in my trunk? Oops.

Nightarcher
04-05-2011, 05:53 PM
I'm sure there are also cases where the item description has a typo. Either that or there's some not-too-obvious rounding going on.

You can even see it in some BS gear where a L53 item is completely identical to a L51 except for one stat, like armor, and the increase when you equip one vs the other doesn't match the item descriptions.

I'm under the impression that most of the apparent stat flaws not due to attribute points are because of decimal changes in our stats that we can't directly see. Maybe rounding happens at a certain point, maybe two stat-affecting-items or skills combined adds extras under special circumstances.

You are right that attributes add certain amounts of points various stats. However, this is not the only thing which causes the unmatched damage. Try this; unequip everything, then record your damage min and max. Now, equip something that gives you +STR/INT/DEX points, record the amount. The value for Min and Max should be 1 and 7 (1-6?) less than expected (respectivly).

Now, unequip that item and equip an item that gives a different amount of +DEX/INT/STR points. It will still give 1 and 7 less than expected damage. This is caused by our "Fists" being able to deal damage. When we "Unequip" our fists, we lose that 1 & 7 damage.

Also, if you want a calculator for you stats. I put one together here:
http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?22454-Noneo-s-Attribute-Calculator-Perfect-Your-Build&p=245256#post245256
And I am finishing up a new version of if with drop-down item selections.

Yeah I probably should change the example at the top, because as you pointed out, damage is a special case. Might add in a note or something quoting you on the fists issue. :)