PDA

View Full Version : New player, pally question.

Chang Foe
04-05-2011, 02:08 PM
I just started playing my highest character is a level 26 pure int Mage. My question is would it make sense to switch to a pally now or wait till I get to a higher level. Input please for this helpless noob.

JaytB
04-05-2011, 02:19 PM
It's all personal choice really. If you choose to go pally, you will survive easier but your skills become less effective and your total dmg output will go down.
If you like to be in the front lines at all time, then go pally. If you want to be able to deal the max amount of dmg and be the most effective healer, you should stay pure int. Both characters are fun to play with IMO.

As said, it's all a personal choice :)

Chang Foe
04-05-2011, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

JaytB
04-05-2011, 02:34 PM
thanks for the input, much appreciated.

np ;)
/10

KingFu
04-05-2011, 03:50 PM
Welcome to the community! Personally, I'd stay pure int until you level up more. Low level pally's spend a lot of gold on pots, since they have little or no mana regen. Pure int gets the M/S gear, and of course as pure int you get more natural regen. Pure int, as said above, has higher spell damage, and stronger heals, and gets more use out of the mana shield. If you really want to go pally, try to aim for gear with M/S, and go half int, to be able to have stronger spells and have more natural regen.

Pally really is for survivability, which I don't think you need much of at low levels, since a lot of it there is base stats. When you get higher up, pally wouldn't be a bad choice, but again, I wouldn't go pally until you reach level 30 (at the lowest), or 40/45 to use Isis and Thoth gear.

neko
04-05-2011, 04:10 PM
I just started playing my highest character is a level 26 pure int Mage. My question is would it make sense to switch to a pally now or wait till I get to a higher level. Input please for this helpless noob.

As a pure INT mage, you'll be able to deliver some of the highest damage in the game but at the expense of being easily killed off by a strong boss or mob. If you happen to be the only mage in your group, you don't want to be caught dying at the boss as this only puts them at peril.

It's all about trade offs and whether it suits your playstyle. In my case, I found that mine changed from a defensive player to someone more aggressive. While I enjoy being at the front line, I also want to ensure that I have a chance to keep my team going by spam healing and reviving anyone who might die along the way. After respecing my mage from a hybrid (1/3 STR 2/3 INT) to a dual-spec and donning a Fury set, I found my paladin to be particularly versatile in many games and scenarios. Keep in mind, I definitely notice a big drop in the damage I can deal out and that my attack range is limited to melee, in exchange for increased survivability. If the battle calls for it, you can always throw in a warrior elixir to temporarily double your damage.

A Pally is not for everyone, but I enjoy mine very much.

Major
04-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Hey welcome to the community. Like its already been said go pure int, def the way to go. Once you can play the pure int well, try jumping into the pally build. Id stay pure tho lol.

Chang Foe
04-05-2011, 05:27 PM
Again thanks all, I appreciate all the help.