PDA

View Full Version : Answers to Questions About Color and Face Selection for New Players in Version 1.7.1

Samhayne
04-06-2011, 05:29 PM
We wanted to address the questions that we've seen regarding the changes included in Version 1.7.1 to allow newly made characters to select the color of their garments and which face they will have.

If you're not familiar with these changes, please take a moment to read the thread Version 1.7.1 Has Been Submitted to Apple (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?22738-Version-1.7.1-has-been-submitted-to-Apple!).

Version 1.7.1 New Player Color Selection
When Version 1.7.1 goes live, when you make a new character, you will be able to select what color your armor has. This only affects the "newbie" armor that new players have. It does not affect the color your character will display should you remove all of your armor. You'll still have the same look you've always had should you decide to run around naked.

Version 1.7.1 New Player Face Picker
When you make a new character after Version 1.7.1 goes live, you will be able to select from any of the available faces. However, once selected, you will need to visit the Magic Mirror should you wish to change the look of your face.

We recognize that our existing players may want to utilize the new faces added in 1.7.1. Accordingly, they will be available at the Magic Mirror for the low price of 5 gold pieces. This option will expire after 1 week, when prices at the Magic Mirror will return to 5 platinum.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Beanmachine
04-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Do we have to pay for the colour and if we are oldies can we still change our armor colour?

Edit: So this armor is like town clothes? Any stats?

giayuan
04-06-2011, 05:31 PM
First!!!! :D
gp is gold point right?

EDIT: awhh.. beanie.. ruined my moment LOL

Junside
04-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Maybe some of these specifics should be added to the changelog in-game?

Samhayne
04-06-2011, 05:38 PM
Maybe some of these specifics should be added to the changelog in-game?

Junside, these changes aren't live yet - they'll go out with 1.7.1 But yeah, once they are live, they should be included in the notes.

Physiologic
04-06-2011, 05:39 PM
Can you expand upon "this option will expire after one week" ? So that means for existing players, the starter faces are only available for one week after the patch is implemented? Or...it will be from 5 platinum to something higher?

giayuan
04-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Can you expand upon "this option will expire after one week" ? So that means for existing players, the starter faces are only available for one week after the patch is implemented? Or...it will be from 5 platinum to something higher?

So after the update is live, that week the faces will be 5 gold for all existing characters. After one week, it becomes 5 plat once again. This is what I understood and pretty sure its accurate.

superss
04-06-2011, 05:45 PM
We wanted to address the questions that we've seen regarding the changes included in Version 1.7.1 to allow newly made characters to select the color of their garments and which face they will have.

If you're not familiar with these changes, please take a moment to read the thread Version 1.7.1 Has Been Submitted to Apple (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?22738-Version-1.7.1-has-been-submitted-to-Apple!).

When Version 1.7.1 goes live, when you make a new character, you will be able to select what color your armor has. This only affects the "newbie" armor that new players have. It does not affect the color your character will display should you remove all of your armor. You'll still have the same look you've always had should you decide to run around naked.

i guess im not understanding. can anyone explain further? thanks

giayuan
04-06-2011, 05:48 PM
The color selection is only available for the armor that starter players have. And the color change thing doesnt affect our "skin" color, so if i decided to take off all my armor, id still be that sand color, not a customized color.

Junside
04-06-2011, 05:48 PM

Okay, so if you're naked, and not wearing any gear, you'll look like everyone else(gray, tan, brown armor etc). But if you're wearing the armor that was given to you when first creating a character, for example, Lvl. 1 Leather armor for a new bird char, that Lvl. 1 Leather armor is the only item that can have a custom color.

Justg
04-06-2011, 05:49 PM
We don't think we will have the noob faces always available in the MM. We want to put them there for a week or so to provide existing players with the option of using them o their existing characters. After that, noob faces will most likely only be for noob characters.

superss
04-06-2011, 05:49 PM
ah ok thanks giayuan! and justg! AND junside!

Lesrider
04-06-2011, 05:53 PM
So the noob faces are completely different from the faces currently available? New designs altogether?

Edit: And any chance of you ever letting us freely swap between faces we've already purchased at no extra charge? I think it would make people more willing to buy more faces for the variety.

Beanmachine
04-06-2011, 05:54 PM
Cool noob faces for real noobs:p

noneo
04-06-2011, 05:56 PM

"You'll still have the same look you've always had should you decide to run around naked"

New players can choose the color of the armor they have equipped. When they unequip all armor, they will still look just like you and I. No difference in color.

azulflame
04-06-2011, 06:27 PM
when is this released?

Junside
04-06-2011, 06:42 PM
when is this released?

Mid-April

Kossi
04-06-2011, 06:43 PM
im assuming the naked armour coloring is free forever?
for existing chars too

noobmigo
04-06-2011, 06:44 PM
im assuming the naked armour coloring is free forever?
for existing chars too

It's not naked armor coloring.
It's "Noob Armor Coloring" or wtf...

azulflame
04-06-2011, 06:50 PM
can I get an exact date?

will it show the "updating Android00X.pck" when it updates?
or is that an unrelated thing, that PL periodotically does?

Samhayne
04-06-2011, 07:05 PM
can I get an exact date?

We generally don't give exact dates, because, you know, stuff happens, something crops up in testing that we have to fix, etc. and it takes longer to get out. Also, we don't control the Apple release and approval process, so we can't guarantee when they will approve the new version.

Kindread
04-06-2011, 07:21 PM
Ooh can I get an owl face? Can't wait to see new faces.

Physiologic
04-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Since it was submitted on April 2nd, the update will probably be implemented anywhere between April 12th to the 21st.

Conradin
04-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Nice insigna ^

Beanmachine
04-07-2011, 04:59 AM
Since it was submitted on April 2nd, the update will probably be implemented anywhere between April 12th to the 21st.

But doesnt it take 5 working days to approve updates?
So....

Ellyidol
04-07-2011, 05:02 AM
But doesnt it take 5 working days to approve updates?
So....

I thought it was 7-10 working days?

I was under the impression they were releasing it on the 18th. 10th working day is on the 15th, but that's a Friday, so they'd probably hold til Monday, 18th.

Beanmachine
04-07-2011, 05:18 AM
I thought it was 7-10 working days?

I was under the impression they were releasing it on the 18th. 10th working day is on the 15th, but that's a Friday, so they'd probably hold til Monday, 18th.

PSHAW! Its Friday: Apple, Apple, Apple so excited! They so excited! They gonna ignore BEST MMO update!
Partyin Partyin Yeah

FUN FUN FUN FUN
Apple gonna ignore our updateeeeeee!!

Yeah!

Corpser
04-07-2011, 05:20 AM
im confused between costs is it 5 platnuim or 5 gold ??????????

bet you its plat -_-

Ellyidol
04-07-2011, 05:24 AM
PSHAW! Its Friday: Apple, Apple, Apple so excited! They so excited! They gonna ignore BEST MMO update!
Partyin Partyin Yeah

FUN FUN FUN FUN
Apple gonna ignore our updateeeeeee!!

Yeah!

LMAO.

If they make that the opening song of PL... I will go crazy. Crazy good. It's nice actually. Catchy. :D

Riccits
04-07-2011, 06:27 AM
btw. why should we switch back to the standard faces...? and 5 plat did always cost...? so i dont c any avantage for us..

Lesrider
04-07-2011, 06:32 AM
btw. why should we switch back to the standard faces...? and 5 plat did always cost...? so i dont c any avantage for us..

As I understand it, the noob faces are all new faces we haven't seen yet (but no one's confirmed). The noob faces will be 5 gold for one week. But yeah, since we'd be replacing the faces many of us paid 10-20 plat for, I don't see myself changing to a noob face without the ability to change back and forth for free.

noneo
04-07-2011, 07:41 AM
Well the noob faces will only be available for purchase for the week they cost 5 gold, after that, only noobs can get them:

We don't think we will have the noob faces always available in the MM. We want to put them there for a week or so to provide existing players with the option of using them o their existing characters. After that, noob faces will most likely only be for noob characters.

KingFu
04-07-2011, 07:44 AM
Okay, this is gonna sound dumb, but what precisely is a "noob face"?

Riccits
04-07-2011, 07:45 AM
i think 5gp is plat not gold... why should they ask 5 gold??

Lesrider
04-07-2011, 07:46 AM

That's what I'm trying to find out. Sounds like they created a whole new set of faces just for new players.

Riccits
04-07-2011, 07:47 AM

seems that are faces that u only can choose when u make a new char...
so thats why they give us a week to buy for our existant chars...

Lesrider
04-07-2011, 07:48 AM
i think 5gp is plat not gold... why should they ask 5 gold??

They're only available for a week and it's to allow us to have the noob faces even if we're not new. It's just a courtesy to us, I guess. Not sure why it's 5 gold instead of just free, though.

KingFu
04-07-2011, 07:49 AM
That's what I'm trying to find out. Sounds like they created a whole new set of faces just for new players.

Same, the thread said they added new faces to the magic mirror, so is a "noob face" basically saying noobs will get a free face, and have to pay to change it? (like they get a free magic mirror face when they make their character) or are they saying it's an exclusive face for noobs when they create their character? Not clear on that.....

Riccits
04-07-2011, 07:50 AM
just dont understand why "noob faces" cant be always bought by 5 plat every time...?

noneo
04-07-2011, 08:37 AM

I think you are right, this was probably the solution STS had for customization, that everyone has been wanting for a while. I would have much preferred gender choices, but I understand that is a much larger undertaking on STS's part as opposed to just overlaying a new "face" skin over a character.

Same, the thread said they added new faces to the magic mirror, so is a "noob face" basically saying noobs will get a free face, and have to pay to change it? (like they get a free magic mirror face when they make their character) or are they saying it's an exclusive face for noobs when they create their character? Not clear on that.....

My understanding is that the "noob faces" are ones that may be selected when a player creates a new player (along with choosing the armor color). If a new player wants to have a different face (after their initial choice) they will have to pay the 5 plat in the MM to get one.

Old players are able to choose from these faces for “free” for 1 week in order to be fair. After 1 week, old players will not be able to purchase the “noob faces”. So, to answer your question, yes, they will be exclusive faces to “noobs”. (After the first initial week)

superss
04-07-2011, 08:49 AM
will any devs clarify what gp is? i noticed alot of people are confused including me. thanks!

StompArtist
04-07-2011, 08:50 AM
will any devs clarify what gp is? i noticed alot of people are confused including me. thanks!

Gold pieces?

superss
04-07-2011, 08:51 AM
Gold pieces?

thats what i was thinking... but idk

StompArtist
04-07-2011, 08:53 AM
thats what i was thinking... but idk

...or golden plat. lol

noneo
04-07-2011, 09:09 AM
...or golden plat. lol

HA! I laughed out loud at this. Guys at work must think I'm crazy lol

Kalielle
04-07-2011, 09:15 AM
just dont understand why "noob faces" cant be always bought by 5 plat every time...?

+1.

So if I understand it right, we'll have start-of-game (noob faces) that can only be selected when you create a new alt and not from the magic mirror, except for the 1 week grace period. Then we'll still have magic mirror faces as usual. But once someone selects a magic mirror face they can't go back to their other face because noob faces are not available from the magic mirror.

Why not just add the noob faces to the other magic mirror faces as 5 plat items? We're willing to pay for them, so why not sell them... :D

Samhayne
04-07-2011, 09:36 AM
+1.

So if I understand it right, we'll have start-of-game (noob faces) that can only be selected when you create a new alt and not from the magic mirror, except for the 1 week grace period. Then we'll still have magic mirror faces as usual. But once someone selects a magic mirror face they can't go back to their other face because noob faces are not available from the magic mirror.

Why not just add the noob faces to the other magic mirror faces as 5 plat items? We're willing to pay for them, so why not sell them... :D

Hmm, no I don't think that's correct.

There are new faces in 1.7.1

There is the ability to select your face when you first create your character, from any of the available faces (new or old).

There will be the ability to select your face, from any of the available faces, via the Magic Mirror, for the cost of 5 gold pieces. Only available at the 5 gold piece price for 1 week after 1.7.1 goes live.

There will be the ability to select your face, from any of the available faces, via the Magic Mirror, for the cost of 5 platinum pieces. This price will start after the above 1 week period ends.

superss
04-07-2011, 09:39 AM

There is the ability to select your face when you first create your character, from any of the available faces (new or old).

There will be the ability to select your face, from any of the available faces, via the Magic Mirror, for the cost of 5 gold pieces. Only available at the 5 gold piece price for 1 week after 1.7.1 goes live.

There will be the ability to select your face, from any of the available faces, via the Magic Mirror, for the cost of 5 platinum pieces. This price will start after the above 1 week period ends.

ah that clears up alot thanks samhayne!

Echelong
04-07-2011, 09:39 AM
Thanks SamH that did clear everything up.

noneo
04-07-2011, 09:44 AM

So, will we be able to buy faces after the week or no? Devs are confusing me lol.

Lesrider
04-07-2011, 09:45 AM
So then new players do get the same faces for free that we bought for plat?

Lesrider
04-07-2011, 09:47 AM
So, will we be able to buy faces after the week or no? Devs are confusing me lol.

Me too. {scratches head}

superss
04-07-2011, 09:50 AM
So then new players do get the same faces for free that we bought for plat?

it sounds like we will be able to but not for 5 gold.

Samhayne
04-07-2011, 09:57 AM
Sorry guys for the confusion. It likely stems from the fact that I'm still not in the office and able to walk around and talk to people, play the builds, etc. to properly bring you the goods. I'm still in the process of getting moved to Austin. We're doing things via e-mail, which is sometimes like a game of "telephone." :P In re-reading what I've been told, at character select, new players can select from any of the available faces (the new ones added in 1.7.1 or any of the existing) and existing characters can select from any of the available faces via the Magic Mirror.

The issue of "someone can the face that I paid 5 plat for" is perhaps a bit less of an issue, since everyone can get any face during the 1 week period?

Still, what I might be missing out on is the ensuing conversation that the team may have had about faces and changes to address your concerns, because, you know, Spacetime likes to listen to their players and react in the interest of the greater good. That's why we love them so :)

noneo
04-07-2011, 10:03 AM
Sorry guys for the confusion. It likely stems from the fact that I'm still not in the office and able to walk around and talk to people, play the builds, etc. to properly bring you the goods. I'm still in the process of getting moved to Austin. We're doing things via e-mail, which is sometimes like a game of "telephone." :P In re-reading what I've been told, at character select, new players can select from any of the available faces (the new ones added in 1.7.1 or any of the existing) and existing characters can select from any of the available faces via the Magic Mirror.

The issue of "someone can the face that I paid 5 plat for" is perhaps a bit less of an issue, since everyone can get any face during the 1 week period?

Still, what I might be missing out on is the ensuing conversation that the team may have had about faces and changes to address your concerns, because, you know, Spacetime likes to listen to their players and react in the interest of the greater good. That's why we love them so :)

Ok this clears up a lot! Thanks.

I think the "5 gold piece for a week" option is a good midpoint between giving them for free to everyone, and allowing new players to choose. If new players got to choose any face for free, and older players had to pay 5 plat for that same thing, it would raise some eyebrows. I like what you guys have planned though. Keep up the good work!

P.S. I REALLY like having these little "in development/what's up and coming" posts. I feel like I am part of the development team :p

Lesrider
04-07-2011, 10:07 AM
Thanks for the clarification, Samhayne.

What bothers me about new players now getting for free the same faces we bought with plat (some of us paid 10-20 per face before it was changed to 5), is that when the Magic Mirror came out, everyone was in a huge uproar about how expensive they were. We all thought they should be free (at least once, when you create your character). We got no hints that 1. The prices would ever go down, 2. That they would ever be offered for free. I'm talking about a HUGE uproar -- that update (intro of Magic Mirror and CS), I think, had the most negative response compared to any other update ever. And that was in part due to the faces and their prices. So, after we all complained, you guys didn't change anything. Then months later, you lower the prices. And now, you're offering them for free (even if it is temporary or just for new chars, it's still free for some). It would have been nice if we got any tiny clue back when they were introduced, that you might one day take our suggestions and offer them for free. I wouldn't have bought them back then, because I didn't really need them.

Just saying, it would be nice for those of us who've been around so long and have given feedback, not to have that feedback ignored and then implemented much later when it's too late for us.

And I still think we should be able to swap between faces we've already bought, just like any other vanity item.

Just my 2 cents.

BeardedBear
04-07-2011, 10:18 AM
I've been scratching my head since the start about not being able to swap between faces in the magic mirror. We paid real money for them, why is this so?

It's a very reasonable question, please respond!

Justg
04-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Les, you should know that things change. Often.

We do our best to try and predict where we are going, but it is impossible with a living, breathing game.

We also try to give you as much of a head's up before things happen, but the truth is that many times even we don't know until it happens.

Sam may have spoken a bit out of turn when he said that ALL faces will be 5 gold... my feeling is that just the noob faces will be.

But honestly we don't know yet.

BeardedBear
04-07-2011, 10:20 AM
*G lashes Sam 40 times*

Justg
04-07-2011, 10:24 AM
*G lashes Sam 40 times*

No no... Sam's right, working remotely is like a game of Telephone. I am just as responsible for the breakdowns in communication.

He'll be here soon!

Snakespeare
04-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Wow! Devs giving stuff away for free again! Thanks so much. I purchased faces for most of my characters, but I waited until the prices came down, seeing how many characters I had. GraveCrow, for instance, was not a crow in fact until recently.

I had the Warlord armor with the raccoon facepaint before there were faces to buy, too.

And now we will have even more faces to pick from, too, right?

And the coolest thing of all is that new players get to have one for free at the start. I think this will work out well for STS because, some people may have the mistaken notion that there is a normal face and custom faces, and now there will be all custom faces. And this will make the idea of changing faces a logical next step. So that people who might not ordinarily spend plat for a face will think about it differently. I bet these freebies will actually turn into added income for STS. That's a win-win for players and devs alike.

Thanks again, guys! You just keep making it nicer!

So now we are getting additional faces, right?

Justg
04-07-2011, 10:34 AM
Yes Snakes, there will be additional (premium) faces for sale.

BeardedBear, to answer your question about why you can't swap faces like vanity items, two reasons:

1) Faces are like names, a MAJOR part of avatar identify. We charge a LOT to change your name so scammers won't just swap IDs. We want you to keep your face for similar reasons.
2) UI space is always limited, more so every day. Putting another tab in the character screen just for faces does not seem worthwhile.

Physiologic
04-07-2011, 10:38 AM
I've been scratching my head since the start about not being able to swap between faces in the magic mirror. We paid real money for them, why is this so?

It's a very reasonable question, please respond!

I watched a movie to help me understand why faces can't be swapped so easily:

http://www.movieprop.com/tvandmovie/reviews/faceoff.jpg

Lesrider
04-07-2011, 10:43 AM
Lol Phys.

G and Phys, I'd be more willing to accept that reasoning if we all had unique faces, like we do names. But for each face there are hundreds (thousands?) of people running around with the same one. And with newbies now getting them for free, our faces will be even less unique.

And it's not like changing a face will help the scammer escape.

BeardedBear
04-07-2011, 10:44 AM
Faceoff was one of the worst movies ever! Thanks for the response G.

Physiologic
04-07-2011, 10:49 AM
I don't really have a strong opinion, or any opinion about faces being changeable like equips or not :p I like my hawk face a lot.

And that movie was awesome Bearded. Come on, the tag line doesn't captivate you? "In order to trap him, he must become him."

BeardedBear
04-07-2011, 10:54 AM
Best line of the movie.

Cage with Travolta's face: "Plan B. Let's just kill eachother"

I did really like that movie when it came out, I mean it was the 90's man! So many terrible action flicks.

Snakespeare
04-07-2011, 10:54 AM
It's one thing to have a bunch of hats in your magical sack that holds 50 items, that you carry around with you everywhere. But, you know, it's absurd to say that some bird has a canary head, a cardinal head, a crow head, and an eagle head that he can pull out of this sack, pop his existing head off, pop on this new head, then stow the unused head in the mighty 50 items (or 250 items) sack.

Think of it, instead, like a polymorph that you are paying some wizard to cast on you permanently. And now, everyone gets to choose the head they start with, but still has to pay for polymorphs.

Eventually we may be able to get other things, like bird body meshes that have no quiver, bear body meshes that run on four legs. Who knows. But in such cases, they aren't items to stow, they would be actual physical changes to your body.

edit: or male elves...

Nobody would question that you can't just stash a female body for exchanging, so why ask that about heads?

Moogerfooger
04-07-2011, 11:00 AM
Mountain, meet molehill. Molehill, meet mountain.

BeardedBear
04-07-2011, 11:19 AM
Snake, just playing devil's advocate here.

The game is nothing like real life or has qualities of such. You can carry 250 weapons/items, but you can't swap a face you paid plat for because a wizard isn't there to help? I don't see how it's any different than switching an armor, helm, or weapon for looks. Sure, maybe the way the magic mirror is set up, it won't be possible to keep a face stash there, or track of what you bought, but if you have an inventory tab for this, I don't see it being any different from buying vanity hats. I think what it comes down to is paying real money for something and not always having it.

Kindread
04-07-2011, 11:33 AM
Snake, just playing devil's advocate here.

The game is nothing like real life or has qualities of such. You can carry 250 weapons/items, but you can't swap a face you paid plat for because a wizard isn't there to help? I don't see how it's any different than switching an armor, helm, or weapon for looks. Sure, maybe the way the magic mirror is set up, it won't be possible to keep a face stash there, or track of what you bought, but if you have an inventory tab for this, I don't see it being any different from buying vanity hats. I think what it comes down to is paying real money for something and not always having it.

Consider it as you paying for a service. Once it's done, you got what you wanted but there's really nothing tangible that you get. So just make sure the face you choose is what you really want. We dont wants any Man-E-Faces or Zartans running around.

Snakespeare
04-07-2011, 11:38 AM
Well, I never played an MMO before this, so you know how I am always going back to AD&D. I accept the carrying of 250 items because of the "bag of holding" item which every player of AD&D ended up getting. We would raid a dragon hoard, and someone would invariably point out that 5000 gold coins would weigh (tenth of an ounce for one, 160 weighs a pound, 1600 ten pounds so...) 33 pounds. And these dragon hoards would have like 50,000 which was 330 pounds. Yet we would casually toss them into our bag of holding and wander on to the next encounter.

So I never had that issue with inventory.

I think where you and I are seeing this differently is I think of this as an actual physical alteration, and you're thinking of them as masks. But that would mean that there is a "true" face and all other faces are vanities. In this way, you can decide what is the true face of your character.

Besides, I have bought quite a few faces, but have never wanted to change from the one I bought. I thought about it once, maybe to change my main from the crazy star/clown look to an eagle, but every time I would look at the result in magic mirror, I didn't like it. So I just think it's something yuor really only going to do once, except in the extremely rare event that you would change your mind.

Man, I have to give full disclosure, though. I think of plat purchases as happy things. I love to play this game, and there is so little money that they actually want. I suppose it is stupid, but I worry about how they can possibly stay afloat giving away so much stuff for free. So, when I have a reason to spend plat, I do. And I think that attitude on my part may be why I think it's not a big deal. Instead I am thinking... new faces? New reasons to keep supporting the hard working devs.

Kalielle
04-07-2011, 11:56 AM
I agree with Snake on this one. I like that you can't change faces all the time like hats. I got used to seeing my friends alts with certain faces, and it would just be weird to have them swapping out faces, say, whenever they go into town or for each map we run. Like Justg says they're part of who they are. It makes toons a little more like real people - your real life friends don't change their faces either like they change their clothes or hats. And 5 plat is not the end of the world if you really want to change your look every once in a while. It's just enough to keep people from changing it 10 times a day.

BeardedBear
04-07-2011, 11:58 AM
Snakes, the devs are not broke by any means, I'm not sure how true this is but I've heard a few people say they make 8k a day, and I'm not talking about in game gold. I have no idea where this info came from so don't hold me to that. Not sure why people feel the need to spend plat frivolously and not ask why. We are looking at it from two different points, and that's ok, you certainly aren't wrong for thinking that way. At the end of the day, I just see it as money spent and the ability to lose something you paid for.

If you are concerned with the devs possibly losing money, think of it this way. I buy my first new face (face1), and down the line I want to buy an another one, we'll call it face2. Do people that buy face2 ever want to go back to face1 so bad they actually spend the plat on it again to do so? I'm sure those who actually do this are far and between, and how much revenue could that possibly generate?

Physiologic
04-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Snakes, the devs are not broke by any means, I'm not sure how true this is but I've heard a few people say they make 8k a day, and I'm not talking about in game gold. I have no idea where this info came from so don't hold me to that. Not sure why people feel the need to spend plat frivolously and not ask why. We are looking at it from two different points, and that's ok, you certainly aren't wrong for thinking that way. At the end of the day, I just see it as money spent and the ability to lose something you paid for.

If you are concerned with the devs possibly losing money, think of it this way. I buy my first new face (face1), and down the line I want to buy an another one, we'll call it face2. Do people that buy face2 ever want to go back to face1 so bad they actually spend the plat on it again to do so? I'm sure those who actually do this are far and between, and how much revenue could that possibly generate?

Here's estiimated AUC figures from the graph shown:
http://i56.tinypic.com/mv5gg2.jpg

This is the revenue of only the first month of PL's release, for both the Android and Apple.

BeardedBear
04-07-2011, 12:18 PM
Holy Bajesus!

Snakespeare
04-07-2011, 12:19 PM
I do see where you're coming from. To use my analogy of the wizard, you're saying it's like you go back to the wizard and say, "I paid for the canary face, then I paid for the cardinal face, now I want you to remember that I paid for the canary face and change me back for no additional charge."

I think the numbers people were tossing around about STS's revenue came from that article about "more Droid users spend plat than iPhone users". Well, I'm glad, but I know it's because of people like me who think 10 plat is less than a cup of cofee, and I get a lot more enjoyment from it, so *kching* money spent. Younger players won't have the same attitude, or people who are parent of school age kids. But high schoolers with part-time jobs and single people and older people lilke me have more personal budget flexibility, so ... given that, it still comes down to me and my willingness to spend plat. So I do. :)

noneo
04-07-2011, 12:23 PM
This is the revenue of only the first month of PL's release, for both the Android and Apple.

"Spacetime Studios‘ Pocket Legends, a 3-D MMO, has managed to garner profits of $8,000 per day from in-app payments, making it a shoo-in for six-figure earnings in the not-too-distant future."

From here, linked from the press page of STS' site:
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/03/android-devs-profits/

And these charts are from here:
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9213761/App_Store_versus_Android_Market_Revenues

http://www.computerworld.com/common/images/blogs/spacetime-app-sales-android-vs-ios.jpg

Snakespeare
04-07-2011, 12:27 PM

Phys, isn't that saying that the comparison of the APRIL '10 sales through Apple was 118K while the NOVEMBER '10 sales through Google was 157K? It seems like a biased comparison, if so, since the game in April was just a few campaigns which were free and the stuff you could buy for plat was like one other campaign and some weapons. While in November there were at least ten times as many things to spend plat on, and AO3 cost 20 plat all by itself. So I don't know why you added them together. I must not understand? It looks like you are adding April to November?

Physiologic
04-07-2011, 12:33 PM
Phys, isn't that saying that the comparison of the APRIL '10 sales through Apple was 118K while the NOVEMBER '10 sales through Google was 157K? It seems like a biased comparison, if so, since the game in April was just a few campaigns which were free and the stuff you could buy for plat was like one other campaign and some weapons. While in November there were at least ten times as many things to spend plat on, and AO3 cost 20 plat all by itself. So I don't know why you added them together. I must not understand? It looks like you are adding April to November?

Yes it is an unfair comparison, but I just created an AUC table that noneo posted above your post based off of values that STS released for Computerworld and Wired. All I did was add values from that table provided up there and combined them to form the total amount of money revenued from Apple and Android from their first respective 30-days.

Lesrider
04-07-2011, 12:33 PM
He added Google to Apple, not April to November.

Snakespeare
04-07-2011, 12:36 PM
The Google numbers were from November, the Apple numbers were from April. By adding them together it looks like they make twice what they actually make per month.

Physiologic
04-07-2011, 12:45 PM
It's just to show us what Apple made STS in April 2010, which is $118,900, and what Android made STS in November 2010, which is $156,700.

Since PL now has both the Apple and Droid market to take revenue from, we can guesstimate that (with a safe standard deviation of maybe $2,000) STS revenues roughly $7,000-11,000 per day, based off of that "misleading" value of 156,700/30 days featured above.

And it was close, since they said they make $8000/day.

"Spacetime Studios‘ Pocket Legends, a 3-D MMO, has managed to garner profits of $8,000 per day from in-app payments, making it a shoo-in for six-figure earnings in the not-too-distant future."

From here, linked from the press page of STS' site:
http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2011/03/android-devs-profits/

And these charts are from here:
http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9213761/App_Store_versus_Android_Market_Revenues

noneo
04-07-2011, 12:49 PM
Back on topic, I think what the devs have in plan is a good idea. They are letting us know before hand, so players can prepare to buy the new faces for a mere 5 gold (free). Keeping them a plat-to-buy option will reduce the number of "specialty faces" going around, and I think it will keep character independence.

Snakespeare
04-07-2011, 12:50 PM
It makes me glad to know that STS could be a $4m+ company in 2011. And Bearded pointed it out because I said I worry about them. Well, good! :)

But I'm still happy to spend the plat. It seems like so little. I could get a candy bar or a new face for a character. Or both. I like supporting things that I think are cool. Lord knows, I spend too much on things I wish were different, like gasoline. I'm glad to spend it on things I like.

BeardedBear
04-07-2011, 01:13 PM
True Snakes, 5 plat is chump change to you or me, but this IS a game geared towards young kids, right? Most of them have no money or a way to buy plat.

Back on topic, the 5 gold is a very fair way of handling the situation. For the record, this update has nothing to do with how I've felt towards the one time buy faces though. Any clues on what the new faces will be? A Polar or Kodiak bear would be pretty jawesome.

Moogerfooger
04-07-2011, 01:25 PM
It makes me glad to know that STS could be a $4m+ company in 2011. And Bearded pointed it out because I said I worry about them. Well, good! :)

But I'm still happy to spend the plat. It seems like so little. I could get a candy bar or a new face for a character. Or both. I like supporting things that I think are cool. Lord knows, I spend too much on things I wish were different, like gasoline. I'm glad to spend it on things I like.

Well said. A few bucks spent on PL is a drop in the bucket (or gas tank) compared to real life expenses for some of us.

As far as the younger players not having that much access, agreed to some extent....but 5 plat (for example) is 80 cents (or less), and I bet most of them stuff that in a school vending machine without a thought and yet they scream bloody blue murder about any plat cost in game. Understood that it is easier to use a vending machine than buy plat, but still....reality check. STS does not run on cookies and free lotion (although I am sure they would if they could, lol)

And from experience, 8K a day is a nice profit, but not sure if that includes their growing overhead costs and a lot of people don't understand the costs involved with running a business...much less one with offices, man-hours for dev-time (which is far greater than most people realize), and bandwidth charges, on top of hiring new employess like they have mentioned. And because of that reason, I happily plunk down a few bucks here and there for plat :D

p.s. Polar bear would be cool, but there is already a Grizzly/Kodiak-ish face...but another one would be cool as well.

noneo
04-07-2011, 01:30 PM
True Snakes, 5 plat is chump change to you or me, but this IS a game geared towards young kids, right? Most of them have no money or a way to buy plat.

Back on topic, the 5 gold is a very fair way of handling the situation. For the record, this update has nothing to do with how I've felt towards the one time buy faces though. Any clues on what the new faces will be? A Polar or Kodiak bear would be pretty jawesome.

A polar bear would be sweet. I am just looking forward to a more "human" looking face for my elf. I'm tired of googly eyes and the Avatar look.

Snakespeare
04-07-2011, 01:44 PM
Male elf contours would be nice, like if you buy the male face your chest flattens. But there hasn't been any inkling that they would do male elves, even though it's been requested since about day one.

superss
04-07-2011, 01:45 PM
id like a boy face for the mage!

EDIT: darn snakespeare! lol you posted right as i did!

StompArtist
04-07-2011, 06:31 PM
No no... Sam's right, working remotely is like a game of Telephone. I am just as responsible for the breakdowns in communication.

He'll be here soon!

Whatever happened to "blame the new guy"? Please do not break from this great American tradition! :D

Engelhard
04-12-2011, 01:57 PM
It still says it cost 5 plat to change my face. Is it still 5 gold for the first 5 days? Thanks for your time.

Version 1.7.1 New Player Face Picker
When you make a new character after Version 1.7.1 goes live, you will be able to select from any of the available faces. However, once selected, you will need to visit the Magic Mirror should you wish to change the look of your face.

We recognize that our existing players may want to utilize the new faces added in 1.7.1. Accordingly, they will be available at the Magic Mirror for the low price of 5 gold pieces. This option will expire after 1 week, when prices at the Magic Mirror will return to 5 platinum.

Please let us know if you have any further questions.

Lesrider
04-12-2011, 01:59 PM
The only faces that are 5 gp are the faces we already paid for.
Go figure.

Arterra
04-12-2011, 02:00 PM
i failed to notice the 5 gold price lol, time to revisit