PDA

View Full Version : drops/reroll

Phaiz
04-07-2011, 02:13 AM
Hey folks;

fairly new to PL and loving every minute of it, I have a question.

I have seen mention the terms when talking about loot, drops and rerolls, are they the same thing? if not what is a reroll?

thanks in advance

P

Corpser
04-07-2011, 02:17 AM
a re roll is getting another shot for better loot so if i was to get maybe an orange from goldfever the re roll could give me a green or a pink.

Phaiz
04-07-2011, 02:18 AM
hmmm, ok how does one reroll? and thanks for the quick reply

Corpser
04-07-2011, 02:22 AM
hmmm, ok how does one reroll? and thanks for the quick reply

no problems

to re roll you tap the plat store then you go elixers then choose a lucky elixer (costs 1500g) that gives you a chance to re roll or if you have the big luck that works automatically.

Phaiz
04-07-2011, 02:24 AM
thanks a bunch :)

Corpser
04-07-2011, 02:25 AM
thanks a bunch :)

glad to have helped

Phaiz
04-07-2011, 06:04 AM
ok, me thinks me is a moron :)
I was ina dungeon and wanted to try it out, so i got an orange drop, purchased the elixer
but didn't notice anything except a small buff like icon under my character stat bars

does the reroll feature work automatically while the "buff" is in effect or are you suppsoed to actually be able to reroll on an item you received

sorry for the dumb questions

thanks

Ellyidol
04-07-2011, 06:11 AM
ok, me thinks me is a moron :)
I was ina dungeon and wanted to try it out, so i got an orange drop, purchased the elixer
but didn't notice anything except a small buff like icon under my character stat bars

does the reroll feature work automatically while the "buff" is in effect or are you suppsoed to actually be able to reroll on an item you received

sorry for the dumb questions

thanks

A roll is when you have a chance to get a specific item from a fixed loot table.

Hypothetically, you kill a mob with a loot table of 6 items. That roll is like you rolling a dice to determine what item you will get.

A re-roll is giving you the chance to do that dice-roll again, but instead of starting from scratch, it bases off your original roll. Let's say you originally rolled a green (uncommon) item, your re-roll has a chance to improve that item to a purple (epic) or a pink (legendary) item.

The re-roll only works when you have the luck buff BEFORE you get the item.

You will notice when you have the luck buff on, you will have different stuff in your chatbox saying :

"Feeling lucky.. " (almost a re-roll)
"You ARE LUCKY.. " (successful re-roll)

I hope I'm correct, because that's how I've understood it so far. Hopefully someone like Physiologic can explain it simpler and with more detail, but I hope you get the picture :)

KingFu
04-07-2011, 06:11 AM
a re roll is getting another shot for better loot so if i was to get maybe an orange from goldfever the re roll could give me a green or a pink.

Actually, re-rolls don't guarantee you better loot, they just give you a slightly better chance of getting better loot. You see, a re roll basically gives you another chance at loot. So you kill a let's say, trash heap, and your original loot was a drainers auto bow, then let's say you got lucky and got to reroll for a chance at better loot, it's the same thing as killing another boss. The reroll basically kills another trash heap, and compares the 2 loots and gives you the "better" loot. So basically, the chances of you re rolling and getting a better chance at loot are very slim. Doesn't increase the rates and doesn't guarantee anything.

Buying a lucky elixir, depending on which one you buy, only gives you a 25/30% chance of a re roll for a chance at better loot, if you're not seeing any rerolls, you're either not looting anything at all, or you're not getting lucky and re rolling. You have to receive loot from a boss or a mob to get a chance to reroll.

MAGICAL POCKET LEGEND
04-07-2011, 06:13 AM
A roll is when you have a chance to get a specific item from a fixed loot table.

Hypothetically, you kill a mob with a loot table of 6 items. That roll is like you rolling a dice to determine what item you will get.

A re-roll is giving you the chance to do that dice-roll again, but instead of starting from scratch, it bases off your original roll. Let's say you originally rolled a green (uncommon) item, your re-roll has a chance to improve that item to a purple (epic) or a pink (legendary) item.

The re-roll only works when you have the luck buff BEFORE you get the item.

You will notice when you have the luck buff on, you will have different stuff in your chatbox saying :

"Feeling lucky.. " (almost a re-roll)
"You ARE LUCKY.. " (successful re-roll)

I hope I'm correct, because that's how I've understood it so far. Hopefully someone like Physiologic can explain it simpler and with more detail, but I hope you get the picture :)

So in feeling lucky does that mean if u recive an item again it might reroll?

KingFu
04-07-2011, 06:15 AM

I believe "Feelin' lucky..." means you rerolled, but you didn't get better loot, so you received the original loot. When it says "You ARE lucky!" I believe that's when you re roll, and the re roll delivers you a "better" or "rarer" item.

Ellyidol
04-07-2011, 06:18 AM

"Feeling lucky" only happens when you actually receive an item anyway, so when it says "Feeling lucky", my impression is that your luck buff ALMOST gave you a re-roll.

In my understanding, "Feeling lucky" doesn't really give anything. It's almost like just showing you that you almost got a re-roll and that it actually works.

The real re-roll comes when your luck buff actually works, when it says "You ARE LUCKY".

I've only ever, re-rolled to a good pink about 3 times in my entire PL life. Countless re-rolls, but only handful of good re-rolls.

Edit:

Now that Myst mentions it, that could be possible too.

Wonder if anyone knows if "Feeling Lucky" shows a re-roll to the other players through the chatbox.

Duke
04-07-2011, 06:22 AM
Every time you get a "drop" from an enemy or a chest, the system randomly chooses an item from a "loot table" that specifies the types of drops and their frequency. This is called a "roll", terminology essentially based on pen-and-paper RPGs.

If you have a "luck elixir" active, there is a fixed percentage chance that you will get to roll twice. If you see "Feeling lucky....", then this second roll occurs. The system will then give you the better of the two items; by "better", it only looks at rarity: Trash (gray) < Common (white) < Uncommon (orange) < Rare (green) < Legendary (purple) < Epic (pink). if the two items are the same rarity, it will give you the first item you rolled -- it does not distinguish "better" within a rarity category.

When you do get the item from the second roll, that is when you see the "You ARE lucky" message.

Note that those who bought (and are wearing) the "Big Luck" vanity helmet for St. Patrick's Day have an effect similar to the elixirs, but with a much lower chance of getting a re-roll.

arvinlennard
04-07-2011, 06:23 AM
err i tried many times to buy the elixir which gives 30% reroll but nothing happens. the worst case scenario the enemy doesnt give me any loot when the reroll buff is on. can you help me with this?

Ellyidol
04-07-2011, 06:24 AM
Every time you get a "drop" from an enemy or a chest, the system randomly chooses an item from a "loot table" that specifies the types of drops and their frequency. This is called a "roll", terminology essentially based on pen-and-paper RPGs.

If you have a "luck elixir" active, there is a fixed percentage chance that you will get to roll twice. If you see "Feeling lucky....", then this second roll occurs. The system will then give you the better of the two items; by "better", it only looks at rarity: Trash (gray) < Common (white) < Uncommon (orange) < Rare (green) < Legendary (purple) < Epic (pink). if the two items are the same rarity, it will give you the first item you rolled -- it does not distinguish "better" within a rarity category.

When you do get the item from the second roll, that is when you see the "You ARE lucky" message.

Note that those who bought (and are wearing) the "Big Luck" vanity helmet for St. Patrick's Day have an effect similar to the elixirs, but with a much lower chance of getting a re-roll.

In fact, that does make sense.

"Feeling lucky" means you re-rolled, just not for better loot.

While "You ARE lucky" means you re-rolled and did get better loot.

KingFu
04-07-2011, 06:24 AM
Main reason why I think "Feelin' Lucky" means you rerolled, but didn't get better loot, and "You ARE lucky" means you rerolled for better loot is because when it says "You ARE lucky", it follows my saying "(name here) re-rolled and received better loot" or something along those lines. If "You ARE lucky" just means you rerolled in general, I don't think it'd say you received "better" loot. You may be right though, I can't say I'm sure.

Ellyidol
04-07-2011, 06:28 AM
Main reason why I think "Feelin' Lucky" means you rerolled, but didn't get better loot, and "You ARE lucky" means you rerolled for better loot is because when it says "You ARE lucky", it follows my saying "(name here) re-rolled and received better loot" or something along those lines. If "You ARE lucky" just means you rerolled in general, I don't think it'd say you received "better" loot. You may be right though, I can't say I'm sure.

No, you're right. "Feeling Lucky" giving a re-roll but not better loot, while "You ARE lucky" giving a re-roll and better loot, makes more sense. :)

I was under the impression that a re-roll completely meant you were guaranteed a better item, which was wrong.

err i tried many times to buy the elixir which gives 30% reroll but nothing happens. the worst case scenario the enemy doesnt give me any loot when the reroll buff is on. can you help me with this?

Are you killing a boss? Bosses ALWAYS give you a drop, no matter how bad.

Mini-bosses and such, they don't necessarily always give a drop (at least the ones in BS).

KingFu
04-07-2011, 06:32 AM
No, you're right. "Feeling Lucky" giving a re-roll but not better loot, while "You ARE lucky" giving a re-roll and better loot, makes more sense. :)

I was under the impression that a re-roll completely meant you were guaranteed a better item, which was wrong.

Are you killing a boss? Bosses ALWAYS give you a drop, no matter how bad.

Mini-bosses and such, they don't necessarily always give a drop (at least the ones in BS).

I thought the same thing, I forget who corrected me, but they put it into numbers, and having a luck elixir or big luck hardly improved your chances at all, but since big luck is now payed for, I might as well use it:)

Also, Arvin, as elly said, you should get loot from bosses (depending where you're farming) I wouldn't waste a lot of gold on luck pots, but it should be rerolling if you're trying it multiple times. Also, are you dying at all? If you die, you lose your elixir, or if you leave a map and rejoin. Elixirs also expire after 5 minutes of use, so be sure you have it when killing the boss (Should show a little yellow vial next to your name in the upper left hand corner)

Ellyidol
04-07-2011, 06:35 AM
I thought the same thing, I forget who corrected me, but they put it into numbers, and having a luck elixir or big luck hardly improved your chances at all, but since big luck is now payed for, I might as well use it:)

Yeah I remember seeing the numbers, the luck buff actually giving a really low chance of additional chance. I forgot where and who too. (Lets bug phys to make a drop guide ;)).

I was on the verge of just replacing my Big Luck hat for the crown look, the big luck just looks ugly IMO, until it re-rolled me a pink.. Guess its staying on :)

KingFu
04-07-2011, 06:38 AM
Yeah I remember seeing the numbers, the luck buff actually giving a really low chance of additional chance. I forgot where and who too. (Lets bug phys to make a drop guide ;)).

I was on the verge of just replacing my Big Luck hat for the crown look, the big luck just looks ugly IMO, until it re-rolled me a pink.. Guess its staying on :)

No offense to the devs, but I agree. Big luck is ugly, and I'm tired of looking at it, especially on Mage (hehe). Really a tough choice between looking hawt and getting a slight chance of phatter lewt.

Duke
04-07-2011, 06:42 AM

Don't know about the number crunching, but from an empirical level, I think I've only "gotten lucky" about twice since I started using "Big Luck", and certainly no pinks from it. I don't play as much as some folks here, but I'd say that at least in the Sewers, my successful reroll rate is well less than 5%. I'd probably see more of an effect in areas with more diverse loot tables (and, of course, more drops in general).

Phaiz
04-07-2011, 06:48 AM
thanks all

Ellyidol
04-07-2011, 06:52 AM
Don't know about the number crunching, but from an empirical level, I think I've only "gotten lucky" about twice since I started using "Big Luck", and certainly no pinks from it. I don't play as much as some folks here, but I'd say that at least in the Sewers, my successful reroll rate is well less than 5%. I'd probably see more of an effect in areas with more diverse loot tables (and, of course, more drops in general).

That's because the actual numbers are really low, if I'm not mistaken.

I vaguely remember that using a 25%/35% Luck Elixir only gives less than 1% additional chance for a pink? Could be wrong, but I'm certain that the chances were that low.

I forgot the process, but I remember Physiologic actually doing the math and proving how low the chances were, hope he saved them and shows them soon. :)

KingFu
04-07-2011, 06:54 AM
That's because the actual numbers are really low, if I'm not mistaken.

I vaguely remember that using a 25%/35% Luck Elixir only gives less than 1% additional chance for a pink? Could be wrong, but I'm certain that the chances were that low.

I forgot the process, but I remember Physiologic actually doing the math and proving how low the chances were, hope he saved them and shows them soon. :)

It all depends on where you're farming and the drop rate of a pink, or pinks in general.

Ellyidol
04-07-2011, 06:57 AM
It all depends on where you're farming and the drop rate of a pink, or pinks in general.

Oye, true. What's with me and assuming everything for end-game tonight..

I've messaged Phys, hopefully he can help soon :)

Riccits
04-07-2011, 07:28 AM
IMO "Feeling Lucky" is not a reroll...
theres normally written " you get a chance to re-roll" and if that was successfully thers an additional line with "You ARE lucky"

Duke
04-07-2011, 08:59 AM
IMO "Feeling Lucky" is not a reroll...
theres normally written " you get a chance to re-roll" and if that was successfully thers an additional line with "You ARE lucky"

I believe "Feeling lucky" is the equivalent message to "you get a chance to re-roll"; the former is for Big Luck and the latter is for the elixirs.

As an aside, I'll just point out because it hasn't been mentioned yet that all loot rolls are completely independent -- improving your luck has no impact on the drop rates for the rest of your group. Everyone makes their roll(s) separately.

arvinlennard
04-07-2011, 09:06 AM
hm about the one you said earlier ellyidol i will see in the chat logs "feeling lucky" if the luck elixir takes effect.. but i havent seen anything like that in my chat logs I've used 5 elixir but nothing like that appear...sorry for my bad english -.-

Ellyidol
04-07-2011, 09:11 AM
hm about the one you said earlier ellyidol i will see in the chat logs "feeling lucky" if the luck elixir takes effect.. but i havent seen anything like that in my chat logs I've used 5 elixir but nothing like that appear...sorry for my bad english -.-

What mobs are you killing?

Luck Elixirs are only best used in bosses/mini bosses (for those that have chances of dropping pinks), to increase your chance of getting them, no matter how small.

It takes awhile to notice it, but once you do, you'll see it definitely works :)

arvinlennard
04-07-2011, 09:17 AM
i killed mini bosses in alien oasis 2 but no drop at all....Is this elixir bugged?

Ellyidol
04-07-2011, 09:20 AM
i killed mini bosses in alien oasis 2 but no drop at all....Is this elixir bugged?

I'm not quite sure on the mini-bosses there, do you mean Lesser Djinns?

And no, the elixir isn't bugged.

Having the luck buff doesn't guarantee you of a re-roll, just 25/35% chance for a re-roll.

Riccits
04-07-2011, 10:20 AM
mobs in swamps drops pinks too, but they do it vvvvvvvvvvvv rare! so i woudnt recommand do use it any luck pot on that...
but for lesser djins should work properly, but most pinks they drop arent worth to buy a luck pot..

i will try to post some screenys later about the "feeling lucky" etc...

Physiologic
04-07-2011, 10:29 AM
The luck hat gives ~15% chance to re-roll. Let's say a pink drops at a 1% rate:
1st roll drop rate = (1/1)(1/100); 1/1 means that any drop is ensured
2nd roll drop rate = (3/20)(1/100); 3/20 (15%) is the rate that the lucky lixir will proc
(1/1)(1/100) + (3/20)(1/100)(99/100) = 0.011485; 99/100 means the elixir procs a pink FROM a pink

So overall the 15% luck hat changes a 1% pink drop rate into a 1.1485% drop rate.

If 25% elixir is used and pink drop rate is 1%:
1st roll drop rate = (1/1)(1/100)
2nd roll drop rate = (1/4)(1/100)
(1/1)(1/100) + (1/4)(1/100)(99/100) = 0.012475

25% luck elixir changes a 1% pink drop rate into a 1.2475% drop rate.

If 35% elixir is used and pink drop rate is 1%:
1st roll drop rate = (1/1)(1/100)
2nd roll drop rate = (7/20)(1/100)
(1/1)(1/100) + (7/20)(1/100)(99/100) = 0.013465

35% luck elixir changes a 1% pink drop rate into a 1.3465% drop rate.

Hope that wasn't confusing! When the initial pink drop rate is higher (like 5% rather than 1%), the effect is a bit more pronounced, but not very much.

Riccits
04-10-2011, 12:20 PM
I believe "Feeling lucky" is the equivalent message to "you get a chance to re-roll"; the former is for Big Luck and the latter is for the elixirs.

As an aside, I'll just point out because it hasn't been mentioned yet that all loot rolls are completely independent -- improving your luck has no impact on the drop rates for the rest of your group. Everyone makes their roll(s) separately.

now i finally understood:

Feelin lucky... => u self got a re-roll
xxx gets a chance to re-roll => its a re-roll from another guy in the party buts the same as the own "feeling lucky"