PDA

View Full Version : Court of Alterra Launched!

DanielRH
04-07-2011, 03:00 PM
Hi all :)

I am launching the Court of Alterra:

We (judges) will hear cases/disputes between players. There have been many cases where misunderstandings have occured between players that could have been solved peacefully but ended badly.

The Court of Alterra will be the bridge between players and devs, if you have a problem with another player, you can submit your case to the court.
The court will then hear both sides of the case and make a decision.

Your cases will be heard and decided upon by the Guardians of Alterra.

This is a peaceful method to solve disputes, just the other day I solved a 1.4 million gold trade mistake.... Both parties where happy. WE CAN HELP!!!

I will be developing a site for people to submit their disputes, but until then, please private message me with the following details:

In game name:
In game name of other party:
Dispute description:

We will try to hear all cases ASAP!

Survivorfan
04-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Cool idea Daniel

Echelong
04-07-2011, 03:13 PM
nice idea just like judge judy

Survivorfan
04-07-2011, 03:15 PM
nice idea just like judge judy
But here, Judge Daniel and the Jury of the Guardians of Alterra

Rusalio
04-07-2011, 03:15 PM
Right on Dan!!!!!!

drewcapu
04-07-2011, 03:24 PM
If you feed anyone to the Shadow Demons, can I watch? :)

Survivorfan
04-07-2011, 03:25 PM
If you feed anyone to the Shadow Demons, can I watch? :)

Me too, but make sure the witch doesnt kill them, she is greedy!

DanielRH
04-07-2011, 03:28 PM
Lol, any case that I think is beyond our power to help out I will send it on to the devs.

Arterra
04-07-2011, 05:23 PM
well this sounds interesting. not sure how much power we hold over the outcome tho, in the end the players do what they want to... unless you set up some black-list for those who are obviously noncompliant offenders, and that being a dangerous course in itself, this court would not hold much value.

giayuan
04-07-2011, 06:25 PM
This is a great idea!!! Hope this goes far =)

StompArtist
04-07-2011, 06:33 PM
I accuse... huh... Snakespeare of a hit and run! He hell screamed at my bear and ran never to be seen in the instance again. I want 500K for damages and emotional trauma.

Fatpigwarrior
04-07-2011, 06:36 PM
ummmmm LOL stomp 500k how bout i give u 500gold

good idea dan =]

JaytB
04-07-2011, 07:00 PM
This should become an interesting thread :)

Great idea!

nazgulking
04-07-2011, 11:47 PM
Law will never hit the streets, get over it Dan. Lol

Groad
04-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Are we talking punitive damages here? :P

DanielRH
04-08-2011, 01:58 AM
Arterra, this court will help settle things, we dont have the power to make people listen... We will just hope they do so that both parties can be satisfied.

There will be no black list, if they don't want to work it out... Then we can't help.

DanielRH
04-08-2011, 07:39 AM
Any more thoughts, comments and idea would be welcome! :)

Kalielle
04-08-2011, 08:49 AM
Since this court would have no power to enforce decisions, maybe it would be better to call it a mediation service and not a court.

DanielRH
04-08-2011, 10:17 AM
Lol I think I'll stick to court, since I'm "guessing" that alot of people will not know what a "mediation service" is... Lets see how many kids know what that means lol :)

RedRyder
04-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Then explain it in the first post :p this sounds like a good concept for the future

Redbridge
04-08-2011, 10:44 AM
I know what a mediation service is? I suspect many people playing PL would too, and mediation better describes what your doing IMHO.

Is there a detailed process or any adherence guidelines for members? Or will this be on the web page. I'm just wondering what mandate amongst all guardians this service has, how many have signed up for this, how many members would look at each case, what possible outcomes could be expected from 'cases' heard by the court and who would have an overall say? Or is it less formal than this.

For the record up not be awkward but am thinking the court would need to explain much more for it to be fully respected amongst the community. The idea that the guardians are involved in this is amazing, but are they all involved and in what capacity?

Really looking forward to seeing how this, potentially, great service develops. A fantastic idea.

Well done.

StompArtist
04-08-2011, 10:46 AM
So... how much to bribe the judge/mediator?

RedRyder
04-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Depends on the situation ;)

Moogerfooger
04-08-2011, 11:31 AM
I'll play devil's advocate. Sorry, don't see the purpose of this unless you have the power to enforce a decision; until then most of the types of people involved in disputes like potential scammers and troublemakers don't care if they get judged against/scolded/pimpslapped by a Guardian or the community in the first place.

Anything that happens against the ToS or is illegal would be addressed by the devs anyway, like scams and whatnot.

Snakespeare
04-08-2011, 03:13 PM
I believe this is for things that happen between people that 1. are not against the TOS, but 2. both parties want an independent judge to review. It would then be a matter of seeking mutually accepted outcomes.

Moogerfooger
04-08-2011, 03:52 PM
Good point, Snake.

However, I think it seems kind of elitist that the GoA deem themselves worthy of settling a dispute, moreso than any other level-headed player. I have nothing against GoA, I know most of you guys and mad props to all of you...but that is the very first thing I thought of.

I'll just settle any differences/disputes on my own mano-a-mano, which is my style :D

Kalielle
04-08-2011, 05:02 PM
However, I think it seems kind of elitist that the GoA deem themselves worthy of settling a dispute, moreso than any other level-headed player. I have nothing against GoA, I know most of you guys and mad props to all of you...but that is the very first thing I thought of.

I'll just settle any differences/disputes on my own mano-a-mano, which is my style :D

That's actually what I thought too, which is why I suggested calling it mediation instead. I know if someone came up to me and said, "I'll be judge over this dispute," I'd tell him to take it elsewhere. But I might react a lot better if the message was, "let me act as an intermediary and see if I can get you and the other guy to talk out your differences."

Nobody is claiming that the Guardians are the only ones who can do this. In fact I'm sure we've all done it before for friends who were too upset with each other to even sit down and talk (and if you haven't, please tell me where this drama-free PL universe that you live in can be found - I'd like to move there :D)). Daniel was just offering to do it for people who might not have someone else willing to get involved into the dispute.

Moogerfooger
04-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Excellent points, Kalliele. However, if someone unasked for interceded into a dispute suggesting they should/could be a mediator/judge/whatever semantics you want to use, I would tell them where a short pier and a deep lake were :D It's one thing, however, if the service were there and people could voluntarily go there if they chose, that is a good way of looking at it. Many would choose not to, however....myself included.

OP could be re-worded to be a little less elitist-sounding (for lack of a better term that I can think of). I can think of several players right off the top of my head I would rather trust with a decision than some of the GoA who I don't know well, and it is implied (just my opinion) that the GoA are best equipped for mediation, when that is not necessarily always the case.

And on that note, at the risk of taking it too seriously and sounding pompus myself, I am shutting up with no further comment :p

DanielRH
04-09-2011, 12:21 PM
Hey guys :)

Ok, let me address a some of the points:
The "court" really is a mediation service, but I think the name "Court of Alterra" sound alot better than "Mediation Service of Alterra" lol :)

Ok, second. The court will not only be run by GoA's, I have already asked some people I know (and a couple of real life lawers) to be in the court.

Third. We don't have power over players, but we can help players solve their problems with each other, any cases that we recieve that are against the ToS, we will report imediatly to the devs.

And yes, I will work out te details and have the site out ASAP, I understand that this will not be respected until the court hears and solves some cases successfully, but I do believ that this has great potential.

Thanks!

Nightarcher
04-09-2011, 04:57 PM
I'm neither a Guardian, nor a lawer. Dangit! However, I'm sure it would still be quite entertaining. ;)

Whirlzap
04-25-2011, 08:39 PM
Check out my case and give me your feedback.

Redbridge
04-25-2011, 08:42 PM
Whirlzp read the first post for correct instructions.....

DanielRH/Guardians, if you're reading the above post, he is referring to...http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?24865-I-ll-never-ever-trust-anyone-ever-again...

Whirlzap
04-25-2011, 08:46 PM
I did read the instructions, however it is all on that other thread.

Jaesiah
04-25-2011, 08:47 PM
No offense to you..but we the people must also have confidence that said judge and jury are impartial also ;P
*NOT IMPLYINGBTHEY AREN'T. Just satin*

Redbridge
04-25-2011, 08:50 PM
I will be developing a site for people to submit their disputes, but until then, please private message me with the following details:

In game name:
In game name of other party:
Dispute description:

We will try to hear all cases ASAP!

I would PM DanielRH directly, to remove this from any further public discussion. Continuing this in private would be the grown up and proper thing to do, and they would prob appreciate you follow the instructions.

Good Luck with it all....

BlazingFelix
04-25-2011, 08:59 PM
Nice idea sounds great! Drama time.

Lesrider
04-25-2011, 09:03 PM
I would PM DanielRH directly, to remove this from any further public discussion. Continuing this in private would be the grown up and proper thing to do, and they would prob appreciate you follow the instructions.

Good Luck with it all....

Aww but I wanna watch :(

Redbridge
04-26-2011, 04:49 AM
Aww but I wanna watch :(

Just woke up to see this.... Made me chuckle.... lol

Corpser
04-26-2011, 06:13 AM
good idea thats why your a gaurdian

JaytB
04-26-2011, 07:04 AM
Sounds like a valid case for this court IMO. I read all about it in the other threads. It feels a lot like taking the fun away from someone by being greedy. But, then again, there are always 2 sides to a story. I just think the court member should wake up and handle it :)