PDA

View Full Version : Goblin Event: the good and the bad

Jazzi
05-18-2015, 12:15 PM
This is just my personal feedback about the Goblin event for which we waited quite a long time :)

The Good:

1. A very good gold tier pet (which unfortunately only hits one enemy)

2. The gold tier is fast to reach and easily achievable by using the free recharge energies only (good for the free to play players and those who did not have much time last weekend), especially considering that the event is only one week long

3. The free portals/altars. I am not 100% sure about this one, because in the original announcement it said that the relics are one time use only, which is not the case. Maybe it is bug. However it is great at its current state.

4. Nightshade! Bringing back this amazing pet for tokens was a great idea. I does require quite the grind, especially if it free to play, but considering how strong it is, it is ok the way it is.

The Bad:

1. Unless one does altar hunt chances are you will get the 3rd boss most of the times regardless of being gold tier, thus making the grind for NS with forged (from previous events) or plat purchased / gold purchased energy very tedious.

2. This is connected to number one: Bosses and Major Payne in particular very slow to kill, unless you have great gear. Doing a PUG and getting two warriors and two mages all with legendary gear ensures you a fight of 10-15 minutes and this if some of them don't leave.

3. Related to the previous two: in previous events the chances to get a higher tier boss were determined by the first player to enter the zone. In this event it is determined by the lowest tier member of the party, regardless of who enters first. I always liked doing PUGs from time to time and help new players kill the bosses faster with my rogue. Now however I seem to always get the first boss when I do that. This does not promote team play, it creates segregation. Even worse it creates separation within the guilds, as you can and will get the first/second boss even in a altar portal if your guildie is no tier. This is not alright and I hope you would reconsider this and not implement it in future events.

4. Boss scaling at lower levels. I did the event on my lvl 41, lvl 36 ad lvl 16 rogues. It is fastest on lvl 16 (with about 2 m in gear), acceptable on lvl 41 (full mythic with elon bow, planar pendant, para, maridos, etc.) and extremely slow on lvl 36. Heck my lvl 36 full mythic rogues gets one hit by the second boss (Sargent Gunn was the name I think). It has 3600 health. Not sure what legendary players with limited resources who has not reached the cap yet should do. I think they would think twice before staying in the game. Please consider that for future events.

5. This is a bit controversial, but NS and Nilbog not available as eggs. They are both great and while Nilbog could be replaced by pets such as yowie, dova, blinky, gyrm, nightshade cannot. What are new players supposed to do? Wait one year until the pet returns? And sadly this is not an issue for new players only. There are even old players who were/are not able to participate in this event due to a vast variety of reason, e.g. school, holidays, exams, temporary illness, etc. The fact that the event is only one week long only increases the chances of people not having enough time during said week. Please do reconsider this in future events. Imho event pets should always be available as eggs.

Tyvm for reading and sharing your thoughts as well :)

gumball3000
05-18-2015, 12:32 PM
And where is the ugly?

G-M
05-18-2015, 01:53 PM
Thanks Jazzi this is very helpful feedback for us to consider as we continue improving these events.

Kakashis
05-18-2015, 02:02 PM
Yes I agree with all the points and I'm 100% sure that the free and unlimited altar runs must be a bug because look at the altar relic essences that are dropping. Literally clogging and need to be deleted from invent constantly.

But you know what, it's a good bug in disguise. The portal rate is low enough that you need a full team working together to farm them, and even after 5h, I only raised 200 tokens. What it does do is allow free players hope/a path to work hard and get to their goal in an event finally. All plat players still hold leaderboard which is the way it's supposed to be. If this were a bug, I hope it can stay because it's stimulated everyone to run during an event and not just stand around in towns. Running wt4 just to farm energies is depressing when there isn't an incentive every now and then.

3 energy kits would have meant 30-50k a bonus round which many probably wouldn't have done anyways because the return would be worse than running 3 regular runs. The cost risk wouldn't have been worth the reward. I always suggested that spawned portals in normal maps should be super rare but should be free to enter. The current portals needing a relic that's non consumed is the next best thing and pretty much what is should always have been.

Here's to hoping all future energy events are like this one as it brought back memories of tarlok teamwork portal runs. This is by far the best event STS has made for the greater good of the game. Would have been nice if we could make some gold off token items, but nightshade is reward enough.

Candylicks
05-18-2015, 02:37 PM
It's a lite event and honestly I think because they gave out nightshade for the grind made it 1000000% LEGIT has HECK!!!!!!!!

The ONE suggestion that I would make is that they indeed did need something a little better to farm tokens with once you got nightshade. Running leaderboard is expensive and they really don't have a good way on this event to bounce back from. It would have been nice for something else at l41 to purchase that you can resell... mostly for the LB gang to recoup some of the gold. When I did Halloween LB it was funded by continuously selling Grimm eggs. This event needed one more thing in the token shop.

Fun overall though, thanks StS!

Madnex
05-18-2015, 03:12 PM
The little mistake with the Goblin Altar Relic being re-usable made this event awesome for f2p because it made getting Nightshade possible with pure hard work and no need to purchase energy kits! Anyone who wanted the pet early could very well purchase it for 750 platinum from day one, too.

So the idea of a craftable item we can re-use like this to work towards a realistically achievable and time-worthy prize is great, just next time increase the requirements of the crafting materials (goblin altar fragments) or reduce their drop rate because they were pretty aggressive at our inventory space plus they had to be liquidated one by one.

Jazzi
05-18-2015, 05:25 PM
Some very nice additional suggestions indeed. I had thought of some of them too and some additional ones as well, but i thought that my post would be way too tl;dr and most people would not bear reading it :-)

I just want to add that the lb rewards for the places after 10 should be a bit better. 50 ankhs is not much of an incentive for those who already have the gold/plat to run that. Something unique, even if it is not trade-able would be better, imho, then the 50 ankhs.

Dex Scene
05-19-2015, 03:35 AM
I agree with all except the number 1 point in bad side.

Payne is the highest tier boss so he appears at gold tier maximum time.
Gore is a bonus and special boss specialy made for special bonus maps. Thats the specialty about altars. :)

Jazzi
05-19-2015, 05:47 AM
I agree with all except the number 1 point in bad side.

Payne is the highest tier boss so he appears at gold tier maximum time.
Gore is a bonus and special boss specialy made for special bonus maps. Thats the specialty about altars. :)

Maybe you misunderstood this point or I misunderstood your comment ;) The third boss is "Chief Fury", not Major Payne. I have almost exclusively portals and still have more Chief Fury kills (from free recharge energy) than I have of Major Payne ( I seem to get Major Payne about 30-40% of the times in the free portal). I hope it is clearer what I meant now :)

Dex Scene
05-19-2015, 06:12 AM
Maybe you misunderstood this point or I misunderstood your comment ;) The third boss is "Chief Fury", not Major Payne. I have almost exclusively portals and still have more Chief Fury kills (from free recharge energy) than I have of Major Payne ( I seem to get Major Payne about 30-40% of the times in the free portal). I hope it is clearer what I meant now :)
No tier people get mostly Little horn.

Bronze tier people mostly get Gunn.

Silver tier- Furry

Gold tier- Payne

Bonus map- bonus boss Gore with Alot points and alot of more tokens than normal bosses.

We mostly gets gore in bonus map regardless of tiers.

Al is the best
05-19-2015, 06:19 AM
This event wasn't bad if you think about it. To be honest the best way to make money was opening hoarded chests or use a twink and get goblin glaives. I ran on my main account Imbaaaack (rogue para) and found that soloing Payne was easier than anything. But fun sts thx :)

Dex Scene
05-19-2015, 06:33 AM
This event wasn't bad if you think about it. To be honest the best way to make money was opening hoarded chests or use a twink and get goblin glaives. I ran on my main account Imbaaaack (rogue para) and found that soloing Payne was easier than anything. But fun sts thx :)
The Op didn't say it was bad. We all loved the event :)

Starkinea
05-19-2015, 06:53 AM
Definatly one of the best events, due to Altar relic that gave f2p players the grind they begged for so long
And the option of bringing in guildies into portals reminded me of Tarlok :encouragement:
I wish NS was an egg tho
GJ STS

Jazzi
05-19-2015, 07:32 AM
No tier people get mostly Little horn.

Bronze tier people mostly get Gunn.

Silver tier- Furry

Gold tier- Payne

Bonus map- bonus boss Gore with Alot points and alot of more tokens than normal bosses.

We mostly gets gore in bonus map regardless of tiers.

This has not been my experience. In fact I have 12k + points on my main an have had Fury more often than Payne overall and 80% of the times in non-altar portals. My poor lvl 36 rogue has 600 points and has not had the chance to fight Payne yet (I only do solo on it). Maybe just my bad luck on all my character ;)

Wazakesy
05-19-2015, 07:41 AM
I wish NS was an egg tho

Honestly the reason it wasnt an egg, was because it was just to maintain a bit of its exclusiveness. If you know what i mean, the price of this pet was around less than 50m (from what i remember the last one was sold).

Overall, Thanks for a great event STG. I personally got a NS on a lv27alt and its great! :) Did do a bit of buying 50tokens package, but spent around 100plats. I appreciate the ideas by STS for this event. One, for extremely being able to control the rich VS poor gap. Pets like Nilbog make me even solo any elite map, unlike planar tombs, a bit slow than blinky, but still worth it. Secondly bringing exclusive NS, no egg. The sole reason of it not being an egg was to prevent any devalueation of the egg's value. Heck, i did want an egg, but the way STG has done a non-egg form made me happy. But the exclusive pet lost a bit of its value. The pet is very good. My guildies at enigmatic everday hunt at least 20 portals, with an average of 20% goreblins, 70% payne's, 10% fury.

Everyone farms all day through, I find spawning altars a bit boring, but reminds me of the good old days with friends whom ive farmed countless time. Big shoutout to them, to those who have quit, mostly had to pay more attention to their IRL problems. Which broke my heart, but i still hope they are doing well. Bringing F2P events where new players can also get the best, just by means of running. Just the way AL was supposed to be. Nice planning STG. Appreciate it :D

Tatman
05-19-2015, 07:59 AM
3. Related to the previous two: in previous events the chances to get a higher tier boss were determined by the first player to enter the zone. In this event it is determined by the lowest tier member of the party, regardless of who enters first. I always liked doing PUGs from time to time and help new players kill the bosses faster with my rogue. Now however I seem to always get the first boss when I do that. This does not promote team play, it creates segregation. Even worse it creates separation within the guilds, as you can and will get the first/second boss even in a altar portal if your guildie is no tier. This is not alright and I hope you would reconsider this and not implement it in future events.

I'd like to emphasize on this. In longer events with slower-to-reach tiers this will be a huge problem. Please do not implement it in future events.

Dex Scene
05-19-2015, 09:43 AM
This has not been my experience. In fact I have 12k + points on my main an have had Fury more often than Payne overall and 80% of the times in non-altar portals. My poor lvl 36 rogue has 600 points and has not had the chance to fight Payne yet (I only do solo on it). Maybe just my bad luck on all my character ;)
Sorry I misunderstood you. I thought you were saying Gore is never seen in energy maps even for gold tiered players. Only Payne shows up for the best. That's why I said it's because Gore is a bonus boss and payne is the highest tiered boss.

Yeah I agree Fury is far too common even for gold tiered people. I see 5 payne in 20 runs maybe. 15s are Furry!

Jazzi
05-19-2015, 10:12 AM
I'd like to emphasize on this. In longer events with slower-to-reach tiers this will be a huge problem. Please do not implement it in future events.

Yes in longer events this could be a very big problem and make many people quite unhappy. Strange that no one except you seems to have thought about it :) I was very surprised when I saw that only one person commented on this matter in the original announcement thread as well.

carmine_blade
05-20-2015, 03:32 PM
I largely concur with you Jaz- I've gotten Nilbog on about 8 toons now and will have Nightshade on my main by event end, all for a cost of about 250 plat (same as I paid for Lemon n Lime..). It would've been nice to have Nilbog egged, but I support the decision to have Nightshade in non-egg form.

I'd also like to emphasise your point about scaling- with Ursoth coming up I can see a LOT of frustration for my warriors who can't solo efficiently.

Free portals are great however there was a bit of confusion over whether the relic was intended to be reusable or not- if not, then three bought energy kits to craft is waaay too exorbitant a price. Ditto the goblin elixir- who would craft them for a damage kit AND an energy kit when you can buy for 2 plat? I'd also suggest replacing the requirement for a fire, blood and glacial gem when crafting gilded goblin chests with x amount of those darn relic fragments (say, 7).

In all though, this is a punchy short event which, due its duration, I haven't gotten bored with and hasn't seemed like tooo much hard work. The locked and gilded goblin chests are great and I've seen more of the guild online than in a long time. Thanks, STS :)

Maunyabastian
05-20-2015, 06:16 PM
I disgree with the Bad #3.
It js a good decision to make the boss' scale with the lowest tier of the party. If it is scaled with the first to enter, wouldn't those bronze tiers people will just join the gold tier from their guild? It is just unfair with people that don't have many friends, because of that they make it with the lowest tier.
My suggestion is just make it random, there are 4 players. 25% chance of each tier.

Tatman
05-20-2015, 06:44 PM
If it is scaled with the first to enter, wouldn't those bronze tiers people will just join the gold tier from their guild?
That's the point of having guildmates and friends - to help you in need.

Jazzi
05-21-2015, 06:57 AM
I disgree with the Bad #3.
It js a good decision to make the boss' scale with the lowest tier of the party. If it is scaled with the first to enter, wouldn't those bronze tiers people will just join the gold tier from their guild? It is just unfair with people that don't have many friends, because of that they make it with the lowest tier.
My suggestion is just make it random, there are 4 players. 25% chance of each tier.

That is exactly the point of having friends and a guild. Further the way it was this event would only reduce your chances of making new friends in or outside your guild as it will narrow the pool of players you can play with. This is especially valid during longer events like for example all other events ;).

Not being being able to play with a large portion of the game population without being penalized for that is not and should not be the spirit of any MMORPG!

oneazeli
05-22-2015, 09:37 AM
Completely Agree withh the good and the bad!!