PDA

View Full Version : --| Passive Skills |--

Nightarcher
04-11-2011, 01:37 PM
--
One major focus of almost every MMORPG is the use of special skills which increase your ability to fight well. In most games, skills are seperated into two categories:
http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx249/michaelsaysmoo/SKILLS.jpg

If we look at the skills found across all three character-types in Pocket Legends, we will find that 100% of the skills are active. As the maximum level is increasing, well, players need more ways to spend their points. This issue was assuaged with the shift to a maximum skill level of 6, and I think there is another excellent way to bring more skill variety into this game.

--

Passive skills in Pocket Legends!

I'm sure it's been brought up before, but here is how I would suggest it work and the benefits of the system!

1. Passive skills are unlocked at level 50. (no other level restrictions)
2. Each class has 3 different passive skills.
3. Each passive skill has 3 levels.
4. Putting points into multiple passive skills gives you an added bonus.

So it doesn't make things too complicated, and they only can be upgraded three times each, with the bonuses almost adding a skill-tree aspect. Here's an example of what an Enchantress's passive skills could look like!

http://i760.photobucket.com/albums/xx249/michaelsaysmoo/Enchantress.jpg
As you can see, these are fairly good performance-inhancers which add more strategy into the game. Passive skills will use the same skill-point system as active skills, providing 9 more slots to insert skill points into!

(Note: only one point is required in a passive skill to qualify for the bonus)

-----

This is an example to show the potential that passive skills could have. You might like this system, and you could hate it. I want to put up ideas that get people thinking, including the developers. (hint hint)

Anyways, your input is appreciated! Feel free to criticize either way, but please avoid flaming or manslaughter. :)

Echelong
04-11-2011, 01:42 PM
+1

I suggested something like this a long time ago but it wasn't as detailed as yours. I love this idea better than simply adding 1 more level to the current skills.

Moogerfooger
04-11-2011, 01:45 PM
I like it. Nice twist that would not be super difficult (I think) to implement with a little dev time.

We do sorta have a passive ability already in the fact that adding str/int/dex points alters our characters' abilities, but this would be a welcome strategic twist if they can do it....plus make gameplay in both PvE and PvP a little more strategic as far as customizable setups.

KaotiicxDream
04-11-2011, 01:51 PM
I like it :-D this must come true !!

Echelong
04-11-2011, 01:53 PM
What I like is that it is simple and can have a big effect on how skills are distributed and not everyone having a very similar build. Also it doesn't add more skills to tap and clutter the screen.

Redbridge
04-11-2011, 01:58 PM
+1 - I love this idea.

I think there are probably a few things like this that could seriously extend the game play in PL. I would think this would be small to code/implement but the effect would be immense. Suspect it would need some careful thought to ensure its balanced, across passive skills and across classes, from the start.

Excellent idea.

Lesrider
04-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Yep, when the GCD was announced, my first thought was that we need passive skills to make up for it.

Arterra
04-11-2011, 02:04 PM
Mages do have a sort of passive skill. Casting revive gives 1 of armor and m/s for a whole ouyea. :cool:

Apart from that... Nice idea. Could lead to whole new builds and tactics.
Boot reason: "reflector Noob"
Idk lol people will give any reason.

StompArtist
04-11-2011, 02:07 PM
I like the idea of passive skills but I think you shouldn't be able to have all of them. You would have to make a choice of which to acquire and go with that one. Would also create more variety in the builds.

Arterra
04-11-2011, 02:12 PM
I like the idea of passive skills but I think you shouldn't be able to have all of them. You would have to make a choice of which to acquire and go with that one. Would also create more variety in the builds.

The way I see it is that you have 3 points only. Either max one, hybrid 2 or go for broke on all three.

Echelong
04-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Mages do have a sort of passive skill. Casting revive gives 1 of armor and m/s for a whole ouyea. :cool:

That is a hidden buff not a passive skill. Passive skills are not activated they are always present.

Arterra
04-11-2011, 02:16 PM
That is a hidden buff not a passive skill. Passive skills are not activated they are always present.

Give me a break lol trying to meet halfway between reality and theMaybe

Nightarcher
04-11-2011, 02:19 PM

The way I see it is that you have 3 points only. Either max one, hybrid 2 or go for broke on all three.

The way my example is set, is that you aquire both active and passive skills with the current skill-point system. (1 gained per level) So you can have constant boosts from passive skills, but you'll lower the effectiveness of whichever active skills you would have used them on. For the sake of balancing. :)

Echelong
04-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Give me a break lol trying to meet halfway between reality and theMaybe

Lol but its true. One of the good points of this is that players would have to chose between a passive skill or an active one making builds much more unique and diverse.

IMO just adding one more skill point each expansion is lazy and unimaginative. Imagine 4 more expansions from now mages would have their BoM adding 100% crit? With passive skills into the mix you would have to chose where and how many points to add.

nazgulking
04-11-2011, 03:49 PM
I have suggested perks, which is very similar to yours so +1

BlazeMystic
04-11-2011, 04:12 PM
I love the idea of passive skills and I hope that in time the devs might implement something along those lines. I also would like to see an overhaul of the active skills we have at present, by producing a more comprehensive and somewhat more advanced skill based system. Maybe incorporating class specialization, so that players can really make more individual characters.

Arterra
04-11-2011, 04:21 PM
the skills tree... another hidden fruit the developers have hinted at (i think)

the skill tree and guilds are probably the 2 most elusive updates that players cant stop thinking about. finally, we are approaching the point where skills are too close to being overpowering if we add more points.

Nightarcher
04-15-2011, 05:34 PM
the skills tree... another hidden fruit the developers have hinted at (i think)

the skill tree and guilds are probably the 2 most elusive updates that players cant stop thinking about. finally, we are approaching the point where skills are too close to being overpowering if we add more points.

Yeah, what I want to see it not more complicated ways skills work, but other simple systems to work alongside current skills. :D

Necrobane
04-15-2011, 05:40 PM
+5 Good examples. 3 points and only 3 skills would be interesting, I like it.

EpuYue
04-15-2011, 07:20 PM
Similar ideas have been suggested and I would love to see passive skills implemented, especially with gcd.. it would really help a lot with adjusting to gcd.

Lesrider
04-15-2011, 07:55 PM
I would add that maybe some passive skills could be watered-down versions of some of the active buffs (ie. Less effective, but don't require activation)-- but you have to choose one or the other, and can't get both the active and passive versions. Maybe? So choose a more effective active skill or less effective passive. Variety and options!

Nightarcher
04-16-2011, 11:53 AM
I would add that maybe some passive skills could be watered-down versions of some of the active buffs (ie. Less effective, but don't require activation)-- but you have to choose one or the other, and can't get both the active and passive versions. Maybe? So choose a more effective active skill or less effective passive. Variety and options!

And since we're not mindlessly spamming our skills now and we use less to kill, we can afford to transfer some points elsewhere. :)

LIGHTNINGLORD67
04-17-2011, 01:34 AM
*LL67 likes and approves this thread.*

jefung
04-17-2011, 04:06 AM
Agree +1

Passive skills wanted :)

Nightarcher
06-26-2011, 01:09 AM
I know bumping old threads is frowned upon, but I felt it would be appropriate to bring this up again as the level cap will be raised, hopefully within the next month. The devs may already have an idea for new skills or just let us use the next 5 for old skills, but I still think this is a very plausible and creative solution. :)

CeasiBear
06-26-2011, 01:23 AM
I 100% agrre with you Night,nice idea:D

superglut2
06-26-2011, 07:36 AM
we need a skill tree rly rly bad

Dexmann
06-26-2011, 11:31 PM
i love the idea but maybe those bonus' should be a little harder to get, i mean just adding 1 point to all of them will give you like + 12 armour and regen? unless i just read wrong that seems a lil too easy to get. Maybe if you got them to lvl 3 you would get the bonus...?

Nightarcher
06-27-2011, 12:31 AM
i love the idea but maybe those bonus' should be a little harder to get, i mean just adding 1 point to all of them will give you like + 12 armour and regen? unless i just read wrong that seems a lil too easy to get. Maybe if you got them to lvl 3 you would get the bonus...?

My idea for it was that the bonuses don't stack, as in if you have all 3 skills you get that +2 everything bonus but not the others. :)

This is just an idea of how it could work.

IceCoffie
06-27-2011, 01:02 AM
I like the idea, but what happens if ur already lvl 50+ , if this does go into the game.

Nightarcher
06-27-2011, 10:10 PM
I like the idea, but what happens if ur already lvl 50+, if this does go into the game.

Hypothetically, then you would have them unlocked and could respec skill points into them or obtain them as you level up. :)

jjjjaaaakkkke
06-27-2011, 10:23 PM
Love the idea :banana:

Dethwarior
06-27-2011, 10:41 PM
I like the passive skill idea but ur passive skill of battle veteran eliminates the challenge wen battleing the galactic overlord becuz a full mage party could just demolish the galactic over lord with good healing

Silentarrow
06-27-2011, 10:47 PM
With the level cap rising we will need will need more of a variety of skills. Passive skills sound great but what I want to see is a skill tree system.

Nightarcher
06-27-2011, 11:14 PM
I like the passive skill idea but ur passive skill of battle veteran eliminates the challenge wen battleing the galactic overlord becuz a full mage party could just demolish the galactic over lord with good healing

Well seeing as mages would only do 30% their normal damage with it maxed, killing it with a regular party and a bird breaking armor is still much faster. I envisioned it as a nice thing in case the Keeper is at 1/10 hp and shields or something like that. :)