PDA

View Full Version : Spacetime is being greedy.

Obliteration
05-24-2010, 11:08 PM
Okay I'm just stating my oppinion here, yes i do realize you all do this for a living. However 120p for 75 stash slots - any amount of plat for stash is BS stash should come free. And charging for more Inventory space, BS.

Okay I'm fine with having to pay for maps but this is getting extreme... It's quite frustrating pretty soon were gonna have to pay for almost everything... Stop all this and make thing like this standard. Just charge a little more for the expansions I don't care.

Let the flame begin.

*edit* I AM SORRY I DID LOSE IT AND JUST POST WITHOUT CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM

Aerospacegod
05-24-2010, 11:11 PM
Charge for PVP = of course, but charge us twice? (or even more if 1v1 and 10v10 comes out) :-/

Ta11on
05-24-2010, 11:14 PM
I agree with charging being bad on some things, and good for others.

1v1? That sounds more like a game of Rock, Paper, Scissors at this point.

Demarrer
05-24-2010, 11:23 PM
Okay I'm just stating my oppinion here, yes i do realize you all do this for a living. However 120p for 75 stash slots - any amount of plat for stash is BS stash should come free. And charging for more Inventory space, BS.

Okay I'm fine with having to pay for maps but this is getting extreme... It's quite frustrating pretty soon were gonna have to pay for almost everything... Stop all this and make thing like this standard. Just charge a little more for the expansions I don't care.

Just stating my oppinion more **** is popping up with the platinum store...
Let the flame begin.

I agree completely. Everyone always defends the game saying that it is a POCKET game or a Mobile game. Well, why should I be spending $20, $30, $40 dollars on a Mobile game? I'm happy to pay for expansions and everything, and hell if they made these things cost money later on fine. However, we are what seems to be the "testers" for the game which I am fine with. Shouldn't we get a reward for helping supply input on the game?

Paying for everything is starting to get extreme and really lose my interest, and I think that is why you see the populations decreasing.

Justg
05-24-2010, 11:29 PM
Folks, this is good feedback. We're just figuring out how to provide services and products. We're not trying to being greedy, we're trying to develop and run a business. If something is out of whack then please let us know. Like ya just did :)

I don't agree that infinite inventory space should be free, but there should be a fair price in there somewhere. Keep providing us feedback, and we'll keep tweaking things.

Aerospacegod
05-24-2010, 11:31 PM
tweak the servers so we can play and we'll spend less time complaining lol

Obliteration
05-24-2010, 11:34 PM
Folks, this is good feedback. We're just figuring out how to provide services and products. We're not trying to being greedy, we're trying to develop and run a business. If something is out of whack then please let us know. Like ya just did :)

I don't agree that infinite inventory space should be free, but there should be a fair price in there somewhere. Keep providing us feedback, and we'll keep tweaking things.

But we are loyal customers, sure don't allow level 13's but 35's have bought all your expansions.... I've spent $40 on this game for me and a few friends and next time I'll just tell them to buy there own stuff because instead of helping them I've pentalized myself by not have enough plat anymore.

Aerospacegod
05-24-2010, 11:37 PM
3x3 is better atm anyway

you die in 5 seconds instead of 2 seconds. 150% more fun!

Furrawn
05-24-2010, 11:39 PM
Wow... I spent $29.99 buying platinum and you think it's ok to charge me for inventory space for the weapons I need to play- some of which I bought with platinum? No way. You can't nickel & dime us to death. We pay for the new lvls. That should be it except for buying special cool weapons or unusual things. I'd rather you charge $5 for the new campaign and not nickel & dime me. Because having to pay for things like space for the weapons I need to play a game I PAID for is unfair.

If we get nickel & dimed to death, I'll consider my $29.99 plat purchase a loss, and I'll stop playing. I bought each lvl when it came out back in the day when they were $1.99 in iTunes so I've been a long and loyal customer. Maybe you don't care now, but you'll care when more campaigns come out in the future and I'm not buying them or playing them.

I agree w Obliteration...

Justg
05-24-2010, 11:43 PM
Again, we're not trying to nickel and dime... we're trying to find a sustainable business model. We very much appreciate your feedback, please give us time to assimilate it and respond.

Obliteration
05-25-2010, 12:24 AM
I am agreeing make maps $5 and drop the nickel and dime stuff.

LordRaid
05-25-2010, 12:32 AM
Feedback...

Just because Justg is a reasonable dev (as far as I've seen in his posts so far...) I can tone it down to feedback. For Justg only, at least (hey, it's what he gets for being a neutral/helpful active posting dev)

1. Obliteration put it quite harshly, but at the same time, I agree. As a start, having 5 slots for the stash is nothing, and paying 120p for less than 100 slots in the stash is just laughable. Let's approach this calmly; buying 75 plat in one go is $9.99, 30 plat is $4.99 - generally, people buy $15-30 gift cards. Spending the money for 75 plat already makes at least 1/3 of the $30 gift card go bye-bye (with no chance of refund). Fun. Or how about 25 extra stash slots? 45 platinum? Sounds okay... until you realize that stash doesn't serve much purpose at all if you can have another character as a pack mule, but then again.... many don't have that luxury, because we also need to spend more platinum to purchase extra character slots!

2. "Dude!! Did you hear! PVP is gonna be released!" ---- "So excited!" ---- "Insert Million PVP Thread Replies here ----
After announcing the whole feature of PVP and creating its own designated forum in the section, the general idea is that, sure, PVP will be great, and certain features will have to be purchased in PVP; that is to be expected. No problem. Whoa, hold the phone... We have to pay for separate MAPS to play with more people? Alright then.... 10 plat, I can handle that. But let's say I want to play with my guild.... Whoa, hold your HORSES.... we're going to have to pay a total of TWENTY platinum to play on a larger map? At the very least, 20 platinum to access all the features of PVP? With some potions that cost nearly a whole dollar apiece for one-time use lasting less then 7 or so minutes? Okay. Soldier on. Too bad I guess.

3. Obliteration and Demarrer summed it up once again quite nicely. We're going to spend at the very least (32 plat for the first four maps deal and extra 10 for ancient swamps) $6.97 for all the maps; and there are many to come. Many players who haven't even reached 25 still buy the Swamps, and most do not have the luxury of having enough at the time to purchase the four map pack deal, as it was released later, so we bought many of those expansion dungeons individually. In this, we should already be considered loyal customers, as far as my knowledge extends.

In short, just throwing it out there for the devs to see. In the end, many will quit just because there are way too many features that require payment to access them. Hey, if you silence me because of this, keep in mind most likely a large majority of Pocket Legends are not active on these forums - whether or not they see this post on Spacetime's forums, many will quit if this continues.

Think it out SStudios. Good luck.

Obliteration
05-25-2010, 12:38 AM
Feedback...

Just because Justg is a reasonable dev (as far as I've seen in his posts so far...) I can tone it down to feedback. For Justg only, at least (hey, it's what he gets for being a neutral/helpful active posting dev)

1. Obliteration put it quite harshly, but at the same time, I agree. As a start, having 5 slots for the stash is nothing, and paying 120p for less than 100 slots in the stash is just laughable. Let's approach this calmly; buying 75 plat in one go is $9.99, 30 plat is $4.99 - generally, people buy $15-30 gift cards. Spending the money for 75 plat already makes at least 1/3 of the $30 gift card go bye-bye (with no chance of refund). Fun. Or how about 25 extra stash slots? 45 platinum? Sounds okay... until you realize that stash doesn't serve much purpose at all if you can have another character as a pack mule, but then again.... many don't have that luxury, because we also need to spend more platinum to purchase extra character slots!

2. "Dude!! Did you hear! PVP is gonna be released!" ---- "So excited!" ---- "Insert Million PVP Thread Replies here ----
After announcing the whole feature of PVP and creating its own designated forum in the section, the general idea is that, sure, PVP will be great, and certain features will have to be purchased in PVP; that is to be expected. No problem. Whoa, hold the phone... We have to pay for separate MAPS to play with more people? Alright then.... 10 plat, I can handle that. But let's say I want to play with my guild.... Whoa, hold your HORSES.... we're going to have to pay a total of TWENTY platinum to play on a larger map? At the very least, 20 platinum to access all the features of PVP? With some potions that cost nearly a whole dollar apiece for one-time use lasting less then 7 or so minutes? Okay. Soldier on. Too bad I guess.

3. Obliteration and Demarrer summed it up once again quite nicely. We're going to spend at the very least (32 plat for the first four maps deal and extra 10 for ancient swamps) $6.97 for all the maps; and there are many to come. Many players who haven't even reached 25 still buy the Swamps, and most do not have the luxury of having enough at the time to purchase the four map pack deal, as it was released later, so we bought many of those expansion dungeons individually. In this, we should already be considered loyal customers, as far as my knowledge extends.

In short, just throwing it out there for the devs to see. In the end, many will quit just because there are way too many features that require payment to access them. Hey, if you silence me because of this, keep in mind most likely a large majority of Pocket Legends are not active on these forums - whether or not they see this post on Spacetime's forums, many will quit if this continues.

Think it out SStudios. Good luck.

Great summary Steve, and no I don't have a problem paying for Maps, PvP or maybe unique weapons. But even an extra character slot is pushing it.

Obliteration
05-25-2010, 12:40 AM
Like I said make that maps $5 each but keep the PvP to $2 because this game is more of a PvE base. My oppinion anyway. Just the little things I disagree with being paid for.

LordRaid
05-25-2010, 12:42 AM
My name's Richard xP

And thanks :D

I also agree that unique weapons purchased with plat are fair - just too many things in PL are starting to require money in your pocket... Kind of pushing it for many of us players, =/ Just like you mentioned, the extra character slot. Unnecessary. And there's no real excuse for that considering we've only been able to have 2 characters on an account without purchasing more slots since the beginning of this game.

I'm not saying the devs did this deliberately, but if they thought it out a bit more maybe even the first releases of new features would be received with more general approval, ya know? >,<

Obliteration
05-25-2010, 12:45 AM
I agree, and sorry your name is now Steve, along with everyone else. "join my group named Steve"
But yeah pretty much only the core shall be paid for in my opponion. And I believe me and you on are the same page.
Also I apologize for sounding harsh, but if your to light you won't be noticed.

nerdherd
05-25-2010, 12:46 AM
I am the first to agree that the developers deserve to actually make money on this game, and until recently I have felt the pricing to be reasonable. However, the two things that have rubbed me the wrong way are the stash pricing (FAR too high in my opinion, almost offensively high) and limiting inventory to 50 slots. I know you have to find ways to make your money, but those ones just really didn't seem necessary to me. Wait, add a third one to the list, PvP. I suppose this was just because I didn't even consider having to purchase PvP maps, and no mention was made of having to purchase maps until after PvP was officially announced. I kind of assumed that PvP would be like the extra maps that were added a while back, so you would get a PvP map for each campaign you had purchased. Once again, that one was probably either my own misguided assumption or just a lack of communication about how PvP would work once introduced.

Please don't misunderstand, I know this isn't a charity and these are your full-time jobs so you deserve fair compensation. I don't agree with the tone that some others are voicing this issue with, but they do raise a valid point for discussion. I think overall you've moved in the right direction by giving discounts for platinum in bulk, bundling past map packs, lowering respec pricing, etc. Now you just need to keep on working on adding more depth to the game and you'll be rolling in dough before you know it :)

ziae
05-25-2010, 12:52 AM
just my opinion, i feel that pvp should only be paid once as well instead of paying by arenas of 3v3 or 5v5.

the same with others, storage space should not be bought but instead given.

given the frequent change of game details which will eventually make players respec, i feel respecs should be free or maybe 0.5 platinum even. I have not spent plat to respec yet because once the game goes beyond lvl 35, which will not be anywhere the near future, i believe new spells will be out as well.

some games give free respecs with game details change, so i believe u guys can give us some free respecs as well. as earlier mentioned, we are like your alpha or beta testers but yet we have to keep paying for every little new content, which i feel is starting to anger people.

u charge plat for temp buffs which are normal with free 2 play games and tat should be the way. charging for new content is also fine. maybe there should be time when ur should discuss and come to consensus which contents are chargeable which aren't, and also isit the time to reward loyal players.

Obliteration
05-25-2010, 12:55 AM
Yeah I forgot about respecs.... That just straight up sucks to pay for. But god I have litterly made myself look like a huge asshole that loves to complain in less than one hour.

Obliteration
05-25-2010, 01:28 AM
Another thing, Elixirs shouldn't be bought with platinum... What a friggin' joke.
list of things I think deserve to be bought in plat.

1. Expansion packs
2. Unique weapons
3. New races I would actually pay for that.

But everything else needs to come standard or changed to be bought with gold.

Demarrer
05-25-2010, 01:30 AM
Another thing, Elixirs shouldn't be bought with platinum... What a friggin' joke.
list of things I think deserve to be bought in plat.

1. Expansion packs
2. Unique weapons
3. New races I would actually pay for that.

But everything else needs to come standard or changed to be bought with gold.

You can buy elixer with gold to man, but I agree. PvP should have been a free update. PvP is something that should be in all MMOs, so why are we paying for it?

Splurd
05-25-2010, 01:50 AM
Yeah I forgot about respecs.... That just straight up sucks to pay for. But god I have litterly made myself look like a huge asshole that loves to complain in less than one hour.

yep. You big ole smelly butthole! To be a grammar nazi I think you meant figuratively, but that is going a tad far. There might even be repercussions (http://xkcd.com/725/)

I think respecs are ok as they are. Since its something you can do without. eg, if you make a character with the wrong stats, no one is stopping you from deleting it and remaking it from scratch. So respecs are a convenience and should be paid for.

I do think there should be a respec sale everytime we have a patch update. Makes it fair tho, to people whoes builds get gimped. if they are still too whiney to pay up then well, go make a new char then.

I firmly believe if you add stats like the game intended (warrior str, archers dex, mages int) you will never have issues with respec-ing

Gunny
05-25-2010, 05:30 AM
first, i posted it in another tread then i saw this one here, so sry for posting twice! hey, thx for the pvp mode but,10 platinum for a map its too much! 5 platinum will be a fair deal for this. and now we watch to the selfe buff potions......5000g for 5min buff? my warrior its the purest char i have he its using a lots of heal and mana pots, atm i have 20k gold on it and i need it to buy the normal potions to play at swamps.....the manaleeching monsters robe my mana like a flower who get 2 weeks no water! so for me its no option to buy this selfebuff potions.....my archer have more gold he need but he cant trade potions or gold to my warrior...sad but truth.i and dont tell me words like"then use ur archer for pvp or just buy gold with platinum.....i dont spend 25 platinum for 5k gold...never ever.thats all i want to say atm,greets a sad sad gunny alias meldius/fearbear

Bodhi
05-25-2010, 05:51 AM
To be honest personaly I have no problems with these charges I used to play FFXI and most others all have a monthly subscrition then on top of that to get extra storage you would buy mules to increase your storage my monthly bill was around £20 atm Ive probably spent about £24 buying all the map packs on 2 ipods plus spending loads of plat on various other things if we had a monthly subscription then yes a lot of these charges should be dropped. One argument I keep seeing is that you dont pay for new areas in other games I dont know about most but i know everytime a new expansion came out I had to pay £20 for a new disk this isnt a standard game they have to keep servers going etc im more worried that without a monthly subscription and reduced amount of new content the game will be unfeasable to operate for spacetime which I realy dont want to happen.

Sicarii
05-25-2010, 06:05 AM
In all honesty, compared to the pricing structure of most other MMOs, PL is still not so bad. Even many of the "free" MMOs out there charge ridiculous sums in order to get upgrades and gear that are almost requisite to be able to feasibly compete. However, there are a few other factors coming into play that need to be considered with the PL pricing structure:

1. You are dealing with a different customer base than most MMOs. Most computer games run $50+... as a result, the bulk of computer gamers are willing to shell out a higher price for games they enjoy. On the iPhone, however, most paid apps run around $.99; even on the iPad it is pricier, but we are talking $5-$10 an app as compared to the $50+ per game most MMOs can target to. The result is that people are going to be much more reactionary when faced with rising costs. Is Pl expensive? When compared to computer games, not at all. But compared to competing apps on the same platform? Very much so. Of ourselves, it is also on a production level dramatically superior to any competing apps of the same genre.

2. Costs seem to be increasing, and people are discovering that they are being charged for features many would consider "standard." Stash, for example... I cannot think of any other MMO that does not have some sort of a bank feature. The bank feature on PL is largely ineffective unless you shell out a bunch more plat. That rubs people the wrong way. I am not real sure what the argument is against the PvP maps, though... except that you need to buy 2 maps to do what you should expect to do with one. Aside from that, I think PvE maps were also 10 plat, weren't they?

3. The previous two factors play off each other. If you have a group of people used to spending $.99 to $10 for an app and be done with it, and then they start shelling out more money than they are used to, and THEN discover that more money is required yet again to unlock features they think should be standard... the responses are going to be disproportionately large. I think that is just one of the challenges that this genre of game will face in developing a pricing structure for this market. Thus far, I think you have done largely a fantastic job pulling it off simply by convincing us of the value in it. My advice? Help us to understand why feature x or y is worth purchasing separately, and is so amazing that it should not be included as a standard feature. If we see and understand the value, we will be more willing to put out the plat.

***NOTE: Just a thought that may help to solve the whole "stash" controversy. The big feature of stash is that it is accessible across characters. 5 cross-character stash slots is more than enough, if we have other ways of maintaining items on the characters themselves. My suggestion would be to create a bank feature that holds items for the character only, while maintaining a separate cross-character 5 slot stash. If each character can only hold 50 items on their person, then perhaps the bank feature (accessed by NPC in town) could hold 150 slots. This way, after a lengthy dungeon run, the character can stash the items they want to keep for themselves or for trade, and th esteems they will use can stay on their own person. anything else can be liquidated. Now, we have a way to stash items, and if we need more space for character transfers, well... I can certainly see the value for purchasing that feature.

ratava
05-25-2010, 06:12 AM

FIRST: I agree with Bodhi (ABOVE) - happy to choose exactly what I want to buy and how much - is very fair. And best system on the app store imo FREMIUM allows you to sample and increment up at will.
SECOND: Investing in this game is cheaper than comparative games MMO's and helps keep the pace of updates flowing thick and fast!
THIRD: I like investing in a GOOD game and seeing it grow and therefore all the previous time and attention put in, being being rewarded/challenged/changed and improved from feedback of ideas from the community that the devs spring to implementing.

Personally think Obliteration OP raises an excellent question to discuss but is imo a) far too demanding b) unrealistic (business model) c) Pricing model for running live games needs long-term commitment/investment from players to make the whole thing take off on another level of gameplay/service.

A previous poster did some interesting maths on the Plat, so will post more on this later.

For me: Very happy with the price of expansions, PvP updates are a STEAL, patches are value for money too. The pay/features could be discussed more (eg paying for Elixirs is fine, equipment slots could be looked at??)

Invictus
05-25-2010, 07:27 AM
Why pay for extra "stash" now when the "bank" feature will be coming out soon. Will the bank feature be the same as stash? I don't recall ever being told we would have to pay for the PVP.

Obliteration
05-25-2010, 07:34 AM
Guys, this an iPhone app though, not a $50 game.

Bodhi
05-25-2010, 07:51 AM
I cant see much difference apart from what devices its played on ffxi had about as much content when released the main differece is as u say they are not charging us $50 I play PL about the same amount of time

Sayishere
05-25-2010, 08:16 AM
I cant see much difference apart from what devices its played on ffxi had about as much content when released the main differece is as u say they are not charging us $50 I play PL about the same amount of time

comparing pocket legends to a traditional MMO is silly. a traditional MMO will have a higher subscription fee due to the vast amount of content it has compared to pocket legends. im starting to doubt this game and its pricing scheme, i was perfectly happy paying for expansions, it isnt much money after all, but all these extras i need to pay that should have been in the first place is starting to bug me. its like spacetime have released a half completed game and making us pay until it reaches 100%. i have full support for spacetime studios and this game but things like paying for pvp maps? how many maps do they intend to release, because in the long run, if i purchase all the upgrades and map packs, its going to add up.

Bodhi
05-25-2010, 08:27 AM
ffxi is and was a traditional mmo it had no more content than this when it started just because the screen is smaller means nothing you hav to remember this is still a baby this game is never going to be free the only question is would u prefere to pay for content when its added which is cheaper or pay £15-£20 a month every month to play remember with a subscription if you dont pay you cant play with this ppl can still play until they can get the content just not access them areas.

amn624
05-25-2010, 08:41 AM
I think what's important to bear in mind is that potentially the cost for this game is unlimited. Of course, not really unlimited, but eventually, players are going to stop playing and disappear when they realize they have already put $50, $60 or $70 into the game. Anything above $40, even the ability to play ongoing expansions seems crazy for a pocket game on a tiny screen. Given the allegiance already shown by those who have purchased significant platinum, enough to equate to a complete purchase of most games, should seriously be given some kind of permanent *residence*.

I can readily see that the number of players has been dropping over the last couple of weeks. Everyone sees it. Spacetime, you're definitely not going to see those numbers INCREASE by having us pay more. It's time to consider a small monthly fee all-access pass with semi and annual options. What would I pay? Given the amount of platinum I've already sprung for, $0.99 per month, $4.99 for six months and $9.99 for a year. All access means all access PLUS probably free platinum along the way. A bank with a savings account for gold would be really, really cool.

ratava
05-25-2010, 09:09 AM
its like spacetime have released a half completed game and making us pay until it reaches 100%. i have full support for spacetime studios and this game but things like paying for pvp maps? how many maps do they intend to release, because in the long run, if i purchase all the upgrades and map packs, its going to add up.

- Released the BEST MMO on iPhone I have seen and the pace of updates/support beats the cojones out of MMO's on the PC I've epxerienced!

- Paying $3-4 / 30 Plat for PvP is a STEAL ! The PvE is already hours of fun for free and the PvP could be weeks/months of fun for above price if it workd esp. if playing against/with friends and with future maps and improvements too. C'mon!

- Sure it's "going to add up (in dinero)" - but context eg I pay a few dimes every week or so on the app store/iTunes - (1)that entertainment already saves me spending elsewhere because it feeds & fills-up the spending bug, (2) PL investment is $
cheaper than a pay-for PvE and PvP on the PC with subscription as Bodhi says:
if you dont pay you cant play with this ppl can still play until they can get the content just not access them areas. (3) Pay and play at your pace and for things you really want is much fairer on the customer eg I've paid for Expansions (got the discount) x4 and enough for the PvP with purchase of x2 30 Plat. BARGAIN!! Likely to be top quality entertaimnent and keep me sorted on all the above for next few months on top of the World Cup ; )

Sayishere
05-25-2010, 09:33 AM
- Released the BEST MMO on iPhone I have seen and the pace of updates/support beats the cojones out of MMO's on the PC I've epxerienced!

- Paying $3-4 / 30 Plat for PvP is a STEAL ! The PvE is already hours of fun for free and the PvP could be weeks/months of fun for above price if it workd esp. if playing against/with friends and with future maps and improvements too. C'mon!

- Sure it's "going to add up (in dinero)" - but context eg I pay a few dimes every week or so on the app store/iTunes - (1)that entertainment already saves me spending elsewhere because it feeds & fills-up the spending bug, (2) PL investment is $
cheaper than a pay-for PvE and PvP on the PC with subscription as Bodhi says: (3) Pay and play at your pace and for things you really want is much fairer on the customer eg I've paid for Expansions (got the discount) x4 and enough for the PvP with purchase of x2 30 Plat. BARGAIN!! Likely to be top quality entertaimnent and keep me sorted on all the above for next few months on top of the World Cup ; )

the best mmo on the phone because theres hardly any for a start, especially 3D ones. the reason they update and support us is due to the community. The community is quite small compared to a PC MMO, so its firstly easier for them to monitor messages and secondly they want the game to succeed. This game is incomplete and basically still in beta, they obviously want to improve their game, so they will update on a regular basis. The pvp is a steal, well yea true i agree with you, this is why i still play PL because i have no time to be playing a PC mmo so this is perfect for me. That being said, if i played this game as much as some others do, i would definately pay more for a better pvp experience because comparing it to my past pvp experiences, this game doesnt compete whatsoever (right now). You call the PVE fun, but theres no variety right now at all, theres no incentive to go back to older map packs (that we payed for) and its just endless farming. If you find that fun then fair enough. I know they are implementing new things, thats great dont get me wrong, but we are paying for a half done game, thats all im saying. That being said i will end up still paying for this game for now just because i like the aspect of playing it when im free and i enjoy it.

Again im trying not to flame spacetime, its just my thoughts

Steverd
05-25-2010, 09:51 AM
I thought it was crazy to have to pay for a 3 PvP & 5 PvP seperate!!
Come on that just getting greedy.

The game is already hurting for players, I have seen it over 400 in at least a week.

Steve

Obliteration
05-25-2010, 10:01 AM
In my oppinion Spacetime is shooting itself in the foot. When I started all you had to but was maps. New people complain about having to pay past 13, that's there fault for being tight wads. Now new players are gonna pick this game up get to 13 and realize they are gonna have to pay to get to 35, no big deal. Then they are gonna realize they have to pay a whole lot more to have a normal experience. This is gonna kill your game guys.

Justg
05-25-2010, 10:03 AM
You have been pretty clear about your opinion Obliteration.

Banned
05-25-2010, 10:05 AM
I kinda regret paying for the PvP maps. It's just not very fun. Shoulda saved the cash for Alien Oasis. But it'll get better soon, right?

ed anger
05-25-2010, 10:05 AM

Just stating my oppinion more **** is popping up with the platinum store...
Let the flame begin.

i completely agree here, 120p for more stash is stupid.

paying for content, maps, pvp maps etc is fine. but lowering the amount you can carry, then charging an arm and a leg for storage is unreasonable.

Esus
05-25-2010, 10:29 AM
Honestly i got all excited about the stash when i first heard of it, then I see we only get 5 by default and we have to buy more room in the stash. I'm fine with paying for new dungons and new playable classes, but when I saw that our stash was only 5 slots, and that we couldnt stash gold, I felt as if a horse had kicked me in the teeth. I really enjoy the game and the community, but paying a total of 20 plat for both 3v3 and 5v5 pvp was another kick in the face. I dont like to complain, but those exlixers are a MAJOR ripoff, especially with the new selling price for garbage loot...At least 3v3 pvp is freaking sweet, on the other hand, I CAN'T stand how we cant cast Evade while moving, we might as well have a neon bullseye attached to our chests.

Obliteration
05-25-2010, 10:36 AM
You have been pretty clear about your opinion Obliteration.

Atleast I'm being firm instead of going emo and quiting.

Edatx
05-25-2010, 10:36 AM
I think people are over reacting a bit and are being a little harsh to indie game developers.

This revenue model has been in existence for a long time; China has a massive, 1 billion dollar a year, industry for virtual sales. Spacetime is some what pioneers into the U.S. market, supplying a mobile MMO and utilizing this revenue stream. Of course they're going to try things out, get things wrong and get things right. As a consumer you have the option of not buying the product, you know how much it costs and what the implications are for buying it-- they're not hiding anything from you.

Personally I like the fact that I can play a game and only pay for the features I want. If I don't like it I'm not going to buy it, but the last thing I'm going to do is get on a message board and flame the developers of a tiny software company for trying to make a living off their product. (Especially when they're up at 1 and 2 in the morning fixing bugs)

--------------------

About paying for the stash. Maybe a better way to implement this would be to have bags with storage space drop off mobs in different levels? Make these 4 or 6 slot bags (8 for epic/legendary) -- then sell 16 slot bags in the store? That way you can get the basic functionality for free and hard core gamers can pay for the extra storage.

Obliteration
05-25-2010, 10:40 AM
I think people are over reacting a bit and are being a little harsh to indie game developers.

This revenue model has been in existence for a long time; China has a massive, 1 billion dollar a year, industry for virtual sales. Spacetime is some what pioneers into the U.S. market, supplying a mobile MMO and utilizing this revenue stream. Of course they're going to try things out, get things wrong and get things right. As a consumer you have the option of not buying the product, you know how much it costs and what the implications are for buying it-- they're not hiding anything from you.

Personally I like the fact that I can play a game and only pay for the features I want. If I don't like it I'm not going to buy it, but the last thing I'm going to do is get on a message board and flame the developers of a tiny software company for trying to make a living off their product. (Especially when they're up at 1 and 2 in the morning fixing bugs)

--------------------

About paying for the stash. Maybe a better way to implement this would be to have bags with storage space drop off mobs in different levels? Make these 4 or 6 slot bags (8 for epic/legendary) -- then sell 16 slot bags in the store? That way you can get the basic functionality for free and hard core gamers can pay for the extra storage.

I wouldn't say it's flaming, let the devs know how you feel is key, and to many people are shy and won't. However you have to keep in mind. Things have changed since release alot of new features need to be paid for instead of just core elements like map packs.

Jaxan
05-25-2010, 10:44 AM
The word "greedy" leaves such a bad connotation. I am sure prices will be looked at and tweaked as necessary in order for Spacetime to keep a good profitable business model, while allowing for growth in subscribers/players.

Edatx
05-25-2010, 11:06 AM
I wouldn't say it's flaming, let the devs know how you feel is key, and to many people are shy and won't. However you have to keep in mind. Things have changed since release alot of new features need to be paid for instead of just core elements like map packs.

I never said you were flaming, I said you were being harsh in calling them "greedy". I think you have every right to voice your opinion on this matter-- but keep in mind there are only like 4 or 5 guys working on this who have lives and familes too.

Azrael
05-25-2010, 11:12 AM
Agreed with Jaxan. Calling someone Greedy gets you no where. I appreciate your frustration Obliteration, but our dissatisfaction and refusal to buy stash slots for that much (and yea no way i'm paying that much for it either despite how much i want it) does not make it ok to flame the devs.

I agree it shouldn't cost so much, but there is a middle road between being emo as you put it, and using derogatory name calling. We know you are a core community member, and you know the devs read these posts. Theres just no reason to call a group of 6 guys trying to make a game that they can make money with greedy. Quite frankly they have been very easy going about their prices and about advertising their product until its a finished product. The Spacetime guys just came out of a (currently) unsuccessful 20 million dollar project, and rose from that as a tiny production company that put out an amazing piece of gaming technology. If Squaresoft made this game they would charge you 12 bucks just to download it.

On top of that your game experience isn't that affected by this. Despite it being annoying, you can use a slot to make a bank alt. I had 3 characters already, so i paid 2 bucks and now i have a huge stash. Transfer to it is annoying, but such is life.

nerdherd
05-25-2010, 11:18 AM
Yes, letting the devs know how we feel is important, but you've got to take the attitude down a notch. Not being "shy" and being rude are two different things.

Dizko
05-25-2010, 11:28 AM
The prices are fair.

I no longer spend any money on other app games, so I'm happy to stick it all in here.

Stop complaining that the game is 'un-complete'. It is not, it is growing- and I'm glad to be here to see that.

Obliteration
05-25-2010, 11:29 AM
Its being firm, and I don't need stash. The title was sapposed to be "becoming" but for some reason my phone changed it to being and it was a mistake by me and I'm not gonna try to change it and cover up a mistake. And i did adress this is there living and I realize this "stated in topic post" I said they should just make map packs for $5 each so they can make money. But all these other features need to be standard.

asommers
05-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Prices lowered across the board in the recent content update.

-ALS

Leach
05-25-2010, 11:38 AM
There is time for constructive criticism and there is time for outrage. Right now constructive criticism is the wise choice, you have a development team who wants to Hear what this community has to say, so please use Tact. Don't let the frustration of waiting for 1.2 create a barrier in this mutual relationship.

Firm and Belligerent and two different tactics, you are teetering on the belligerent side. Allow Space Time to make adjustments before you become so enraged you can't think straight. Allow them to listen to you. I agree with allot that has been posted here, but allow them time for adjustments.

Warchanter
05-25-2010, 01:05 PM
Now dev's do you guys plan on in a month or so making a "special' for PVP maps were u can buy all for one lower price?

ed anger
05-25-2010, 01:19 PM
Prices lowered across the board in the recent content update.

-ALS

thank you...

flaimdude
05-25-2010, 01:32 PM
Supply and demand, no? Except in this case, it's all about demand, since the supply is infinite. So what we have here is a relatively simply demand curve. The higher the price, the less people are gonna pay and play. The lower the price, the more people are gonna pay and play. So since it's a new game, SS is gonna keep tweaking it so that they can make the maximum amount of money (they are 6 real developers with families, needs, etc., and the fact that they are pretty much living off of this says a lot for how important it is to them), which I'm thinking, since it is a mobile game, is more towards the lower prices and more people side.

Anyways, I hope SS will quickly find that perfect equilibrium so that the devs don't have to worry about prices but about content. Good luck guys. :)

EDIT: also, thanks for lowering prices! :D

Sayishere
05-25-2010, 02:31 PM
The prices are fair.

I no longer spend any money on other app games, so I'm happy to stick it all in here.

Stop complaining that the game is 'un-complete'. It is not, it is growing- and I'm glad to be here to see that.

its growing but hardly complete...if it wasnt complete why would there be constant updates -.-

your in a dream world thinking its a complete game, its enjoyable but they have much to work on which is a good thing. if noone was to voice their opinions there wouldnt have been a lower of prices, which in my eyes is a good thing for us. why are the forums here seriously? so you can just praise the developers? no, its about criticism to make the game better. the OP was harsh saying they are greedy, because they are not, but the pricing issue is a valid point, and one that they have addressed

Furrawn
05-25-2010, 02:58 PM
Obliteration~
I applaud your willingness to put this thread up. It's tough to say something the devs won't like. Especially when the community is small. I don't think you were rude. I think you expressed how you feel. I think you were brave. You clearly care about the game. Some people are fussing that you were too harsh though they essentially agree with you. Honestly, if you hadn't been direct, I don't think anyone would have listened.

I know an Apple dev said he makes more money w 99 cent apps than he used to make dev $50 games. So there is money to be made when the populations of PL grow... Right now, understandably, it's probably difficult. The developers must be working 24/7 because there are constant updates. I figure that I'd be able to spot a PL dev in public right away due to the HUGE dark circles under his/her eyes due to not sleeping for months. It's prob very tough to work so hard and give so much only to barely break even:(

Meanwhile, on the other hand, there are the players. I bought each campaign when it came out. My friends lucked out and got the whole campaign group for a great price. I don't mind that. Hey, an xbox game might be $60 the first month it's out. In a year, it'll be $20 or $30. But if I don't want to wait, then I'll pay more. That's life. I don't mind that. I DO mind being charged to have inventory space and other things that should be standard. As a player, I don't want to have to keep paying a buck here and there endlessly. Each update, it FEELS like there's a new life-sucking cost added for something.

As I said before, charge us $5 for a campaign and let that be it. Don't nickel and dime us.

Spacetime dev need to eat. Yes.
But.... So do the players.

Maybe devs should get together. Figure out how much you need to make as dev to eat good food like steaks & red velvet cake:) Then charge that for the campaigns if it's reasonable and don't charge us for things like inventory space or character respecs (I used to think char respecs was an ok charge but now it's one more charge. Maybe give a free char respec w each campaign purchase. Then folks can buy EXTRA respecs if they want). I, personally, would rather you hit me ONCE for money each new campaign.

Maybe have two options. The $2 campaign that makes folks buy every little thing... And the $5 premium choice that let's people get everything included...

And seriously, guys... If you want to make extra money that folks won't fuss about- sell vanity objects for platinum. Collars for the pets. A santa hat. People will buy those items and not feel like it's unfair.

I know that right now, I have basically no voice because I'm a junior member. It's as if I'm invisible to some degree:( But, I wanted to try & give feedback anyway.

I think there's a balance to be made between the needs of the dev & the needs of the players. A healthy business model will equally consider both... Of course, the dev will need time to change things... IF they change things... But they can communicate that changes are in the works... And for folks not on the forum, the devs can communicate to them in an update...

Justg
05-25-2010, 03:20 PM

I said you had been clear after your 11th post in this thread. We get it. You were dissatisfied with the pricing.

You did call us greedy, and that hurt. I would have much rather seen a thread like "Let's talk about pricing" or "This seems too expensive".

We're 6 guys, working our butts off, up to 16 hours a day to make this game better for you guys. Even though the thread title and your "firm" attitude are extremely demoralizing, we chose to keep the thread alive to discuss pricing.

And then we listened, and responded. Please try to realize that we are people working behind the scenes, and not some huge mega-conglomerate.

Sayishere
05-25-2010, 03:29 PM
I said you had been clear after your 11th post in this thread. We get it. You were dissatisfied with the pricing.

You did call us greedy, and that hurt. I would have much rather seen a thread like "Let's talk about pricing" or "This seems too expensive".

We're 6 guys, working our butts off, up to 16 hours a day to make this game better for you guys. Even though the thread title and your "firm" attitude are extremely demoralizing, we chose to keep the thread alive to discuss pricing.

And then we listened, and responded. Please try to realize that we are people working behind the scenes, and not some huge mega-conglomerate.

we appreciate everything your doing, the OP was way to harsh with his comment about you guys being greedy it isnt fair or true. again i hope the comments on this thread wont affect your work rate, i hope you can understand that the reason we post the comments is because we have strong feelings for the game to be a success :)

Obliteration
05-25-2010, 03:38 PM
we appreciate everything your doing, the OP was way to harsh with his comment about you guys being greedy it isnt fair or true. again i hope the comments on this thread wont affect your work rate, i hope you can understand that the reason we post the comments is because we have strong feelings for the game to be a success :)

Uh-oh we have a suckup, maybe I was to harsh. But an error in the title made it seem this way. It was sapposed to say "spacetime is becoming greedy" however let me point this out, over 80% of people who replied completely agreed. If I would have made a thread softly I don't believe change would have been made. You can hate me all you want I'll hate back. But look what I have done, I've been getting tons of messages in-game thanking me for my drive and forceful oppinion.

And Justg I am truely sorry I hurt you and the other developers feelings, in the long run I believe this will actually help you. Notice several replied saying because of this they have purchased more platinum today.

And what I meant by the emo reply is, atleast i didn't go to general discussions and flame you guys and say i'm leaving. Like several member have done. But I did dig myself just as big of a hole doing what I did, because now most of you see me as an asshole. Which is okay. People are entitled to have an oppinion on me.

Esus
05-25-2010, 03:41 PM
We still love you SS devs, a little tough love never hurt...

Diz
05-25-2010, 03:52 PM
Please try to realize that we are people working behind the scenes, and not some huge mega-conglomerate.

--- WARNING - major fan boy alert, even though I'm really not a fan boy [I've only played about 45 minutes in the past week] ---

You guys are not only an example of game developers thinking outside of the box, but you are also an inspiration to anyone who works independently in a creative field. Sure there are problems, but it's going to be bridge under the water while you guys further your careers and we the gamers reap the benefits of this awesome game. I know it sounds hella corny, but really. The fact that you're here discussing the game directly face-to-face with your playerbase on a forum speaks volume to your opacity and honesty as a company. I may disagree at times with your pricing structure and overall economic strategy, but I understand it is a work in progress and that you guys are basically treading in no-mans land with this whole mobile MMO thing. Keep it up!

Sayishere
05-25-2010, 03:57 PM
And Justg I am truely sorry I hurt you and the other developers feelings.

hypocrite comes to mind. if you consider my message sucking up, what the hell does your message imply?

saying the devs are greedy is to harsh, thats why i keep saying it, even you understand that is was uncalled for

i already stated my problems and stated the flaws in this game, just because i acknowledge that the devs are working hard and we should appreciate that, this is sucking up?

nerdherd
05-25-2010, 04:01 PM
And Justg I am truely sorry I hurt you and the other developers feelings, in the long run I believe this will actually help you. Notice several replied saying because of this they have purchased more platinum today.

And what I meant by the emo reply is, atleast i didn't go to general discussions and flame you guys and say i'm leaving. Like several member have done. But I did dig myself just as big of a hole doing what I did, because now most of you see me as an asshole. Which is okay. People are entitled to have an oppinion on me.
HA! Don't pretend that you haven't threatened to leave before!

Speaking respectfully isn't being a suckup, it's just being considerate. Also, any use of the word "greedy" has a bad connotation no matter what your title was supposed to be. Unlike others here I do not think you were "brave" for stating your "oppinion". I think the point of a forum is to discuss "oppinions", but the way that we'll best help the game is by voicing clearly stated points that are backed by facts and reason and most importantly expressed with respect.

@Justg Don't worry, we really do appreciate all your hard work and hope to see this game rise to the top! A few tactless individuals aside, we mean to express our opinions in a way that will motivate you to keep on working hard to make PL better and better.

Banned
05-25-2010, 04:06 PM

Excuse me for my lanuage, but holy ****. Change the pricing back, you guys deserve that money. There's no denying that your doing a fantastic job, don't listen to these whiners.

Edatx
05-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Can we close this thread? I think everyone got their point across.

Banned
05-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Can we close this thread? I think everyone got their point across.

Why do you care?

Purearch
05-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Personaly I don't think we should be flamin spacetime for having us purchase things to keep the production up. I think it's great that they keep up the awesome work they are doing on PL. In order for them to keep it up we need to spend our money. I don't see anyone complaining when they pay 14.99 a month plus having to purchase the game when they play WoW.

Enough said.

Keep up the great work Spacetime!!!!

Hooah!!

Edatx
05-25-2010, 04:11 PM
Why do you care?

Because I do. Why do you care?

Furrawn
05-25-2010, 04:12 PM
Obviously, Obliteration cares or he would have just quit. Instead of focusing on the words he used, maybe everyone could focus on the issue he raised.

I don't think ANYONE is advocating less money for the devs. The prob is the pricing structure...

JustG-
You don't know me - though I've been with PL since prob the first week it was on iPad - i just haven't been on the forum til recently. There are a lot of players who care, love the game, appreciate you... Customers who have been loyal and brought in new customers. I got two friends involved who now buy campaigns- and like me they had never played an rpg game before. Which should tell you how great your game is! My hubby has played starcraft, Warcraft, etc for years and could never get me to play! Now here I am- playing my first rpg and caring enough to have joined the forum. Someone posting in the forum for the first time is not a direct indication that they are new to PL. I've only been posting for a short time... I know it must be hurtful to hear greedy or even "nickel and dimed" which I said earlier (thx for reading it!). I'm sorry. It does also hurt to be a player who loves and supports you devs since the beginning only to feel like the charges have become unfair and too much. Your posts are harsh when your feelings are hurt. Players are just as human. Players have feelings too. I know you know that- I'm just trying to say that sometimes harsh words are borne of caring a great deal rather than trying to be mean or flame as I think it's called. At least, I know that my posting was because I care about the game and want to be a part of it.

I know you said the money situation would be dealt with. It's difficult for some to be happy with that since it's a very general response. I'm guessing you guys need time to digest all the posts being thrown at you. Folks continuing to post might just want to chime in also so you know others feel the same way AND are prob trying to offer helpful suggestions. I know I was in my previous post.

Sorry for posting so much. I'll return to my ignominy:)

Banned
05-25-2010, 04:14 PM
Because I do. Why do you care?

Because I do.

Thelonearcher
05-25-2010, 05:12 PM
lol guys think about how
much money your spending on other mmo games? This is free and is asking for about 7$ dollars for the 35 cap and pvp maps it's not even done yet !!!!! This game when complete will be like guild wars and guild wars is 30 $ if you guys think your getting ripped off you really aren't be a sport stay with the game and over the summer when it's complete you will be happy !! :)
also this is on apple devices portable were ever you go !!!! So be happy that spacetime
made this game!! They work very hard were about 2 months in so you can't excpect it to be complete by 2 months and the fact the app is free right now is awesome

Purearch
05-25-2010, 05:38 PM
lol guys think about how
much money your spending on other mmo games? This is free and is asking for about 7$ dollars for the 35 cap and pvp maps it's not even done yet !!!!! This game when complete will be like guild wars and guild wars is 30 $ if you guys think your getting ripped off you really aren't be a sport stay with the game and over the summer when it's complete you will be happy !! :)
also this is on apple devices portable were ever you go !!!! So be happy that spacetime
made this game!! They work very hard were about 2 months in so you can't excpect it to be complete by 2 months and the fact the app is free right now is awesome

Agree with tla!!

Furrawn
05-25-2010, 06:08 PM
Of course the app is free. We pay for the campaigns and content as we go! The game is NOT free. The app and first lvls are free. I don't at all expect the game to be complete- how could it be this early? The discussion is about pricing and what folks think will work for players and devs.

Justg
05-25-2010, 06:15 PM
Folks, I am going to close this thread now. We are happy to discuss pricing at any time, but I would prefer to do it under a less inflammatory title. So who wants to start the next one? :D

Edit: Here it is (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?2408-Cheerful-amp-helpful-suggestions-for-pricing) :)