PDA

View Full Version : Droid X installation problems

coool
04-12-2011, 07:16 PM
I have been playing PL for about a month and today when the new patch hit i update my game. when it finishes downloading and it tries to install itself it comes up with an error
"Couldnt install on USB storage or SD card"

i have tried updating a few times and uninstalled the entire app and redownloaded and got the same error message.

how do i fix this? any input is greatly appreciated

coool
04-12-2011, 07:23 PM
to add to this, i just tried downloading and installing a random app from market it and it worked fine. ALSO i have more then enough memory free on the phone

vol
04-12-2011, 08:37 PM
Download the APk directly from the pl website. That's what I had to do

coool
04-12-2011, 08:53 PM
just tried that, got the file downloaded, find the file on my phone. open. hit install, it does the install screen for a second then says application not installed and only option i can hit is done

Junside
04-12-2011, 08:58 PM
Sorry I can't think of any solution for it. Sounds like you tried everything. Did you try restarting your device, clear market cache, check for an Android Market update, or any of that sort, not relating to Pocket Legends?

If all options fail, your best chance is to email the developers. Send an email to support(at)spacetimestudios.com, replacing (at) with @ [written this way with purpose of avoiding spam bots that might scan the forums and spam the developers.

Raulur
04-13-2011, 11:44 PM
Go to your sd card settings, and unmount your sd card. Then install from scratch. After installation, you can then remount your sd card, and it should play fine. Took me 5 tries before I saw comments on fb and android market suggesting the sd card dismount trick.

I'm on Droid X as well, and I had the EXACT same error.

Gigiwren
04-16-2011, 05:15 PM
How many days have I been now without PL? Tried everything Junside suggested..tried the .apk suggestion..nothing. Keep losing battery and time...lol. Can't wait to get home and try the unmount SD card trick!

Futumsh
04-16-2011, 11:08 PM
This isn't a problem related to PL btw, it's a problem which seems to usually occur due to interrupted installations to sdcard, and is pretty common, especially for large apps.

To fix this, find the .android_secure directory on the sdcard and remove the 'smdl2tmp1.asec' file. You can either do this by mounting the sdcard on a computer, or with a file manager app.

Gigiwren
04-17-2011, 07:15 AM
Most of the following comes from : http://www.pocketlegends.com/faqs/

(I added the certain steps under mount/unmount the SD card, to make it easy for me to follow. Note: you don't actually have to touch the SD card, you don't have to remove it.)

If I Have Trouble Installing or Updating the Game on My Android…

There may be an issue with your Market app or installation to your SD Card. Try the following:

■Uninstall Pocket Legends

■Unmount your SD Card -

home or menu
settings
sd card
unmount sd card
OK

■Clear your Marketplace cache and data in your applications manager
Go to Home or menu - Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> Running -> Market. Press Force Stop, Clear Data, ok, Clear Cache.

■Install Pocket Legends (by going to market, you may have to accept terms of service again. Wait........)

■Remount the SD Card

home or menu to
settings
sd card
mount sd card

■Then move Pocket Legends back to the SD Card (if you want) Some devices fail to install large apps directly to SD Card.

( i did not, I tried to play, had to wait for "updating content" Lost connection, update content again...wait........)

I AM THERE!! I AM IN ALIEN OASIS !! IT IS ALL FRESH AND NEW !! I AM BACK!!!

Gigiwren
04-17-2011, 07:19 AM
@ Futumsh, thanks, I realize it's not a PL problem. PL just happens to be my largest ap, so it is the only one I have an issue with. I didn't see your solution until after I tried the one about un-mounting the SD card, and since that worked, I wanted to post it here, so I could find it again, after the next update....thanks! I am so happy to be back. The real problem is I don't have a block of time to mess around with fixing a problem. Had to wait for a quiet moment on the week-end to charge the Droid up and see what had to be done.

Futumsh
04-17-2011, 09:00 AM
Doing the unmount before install thing does work as well, just it doesn't fix the original problem, so the same thing will happen for the next update.

Raulur
04-17-2011, 01:50 PM
This isn't a problem related to PL btw, it's a problem which seems to usually occur due to interrupted installations to sdcard, and is pretty common, especially for large apps.

To fix this, find the .android_secure directory on the sdcard and remove the 'smdl2tmp1.asec' file. You can either do this by mounting the sdcard on a computer, or with a file manager app.

Ahh, good info. Thanks. Now I know what to do if it happens again. :)

Morrigan
05-03-2011, 10:51 AM
I'm also having a problem with Pocket Legends. I have a 3G MyTouch, made by HTC. I can download the game and it will install, but then it won't load. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, but no dice. I tried uninstalling and then attempting to download with the SD card unmounted, but I receive an error message that it requires an SD card to download. Not sure what to try now - any advice?

Bobloblaw
05-03-2011, 11:46 AM
For those with this problem:

The trick that has been suggested - Uninstalling -> unmounting the SD card -> installing -> remounting the SD card does work. However, this workaround will have to be completed any time there is a full update of this or any other large app you are placing on your SD card.

The only way to completely remedy the error is to reformat the SD card. Just make sure you back up anything on the card that you feel is important (eg photos).

Morrigan
05-04-2011, 07:39 AM
For those with this problem:

The trick that has been suggested - Uninstalling -> unmounting the SD card -> installing -> remounting the SD card does work.

Unfortunately, it does NOT work for me. As I said above, if I try to do that I receive an error message that the card must be mounted in order to download / install.

Bobloblaw
05-04-2011, 08:55 AM
Unfortunately, it does NOT work for me. As I said above, if I try to do that I receive an error message that the card must be mounted in order to download / install.

That shouldnt be the case. If you unmount the card, go to the market, and select to download the program it will simply install to your phone if there is no SD card available and the phone's internal storage is not full.

Can you be any more specific concerning your actual order of events, what the error looks like, and exactly what it says?

Edit: My original response was a confirmation of a specific course of action, along with a more premanent fix (reformatting) for those with a "Droid X" as implied by the thread title. Unfortunately I am unfamiliar with your device and can't offer any help other than trying what has been suggested (which apparently isn't working). I would advise you make a thread with your device and "install issue" in the title and see if anyone else can help.

coool
05-05-2011, 12:59 AM
i tried everything in this thread and didnt work. what finally did work was reformatting the sd card, of course i synched my phone with pc and made a backup of everything first. took like 3 days before i figured it out, but havent had any problems since

Bobloblaw
05-05-2011, 08:29 AM
i tried everything in this thread and didnt work. what finally did work was reformatting the sd card, of course i synched my phone with pc and made a backup of everything first. took like 3 days before i figured it out, but havent had any problems since

Then you actually DID try something in this thread ;)

ilsen
05-19-2011, 11:57 PM
Duck this game gold is completely worthless you have to pay for everything now ****ers

SknyAndy
06-04-2011, 10:09 AM
I had the same problem. I took out my SD card and downloaded it. If you want to after you download it you can move it over to the card (I think) but I chose to just leave it. I think it makes it easier when it comes to updates.

Doubletime
08-03-2011, 11:05 AM

Doing the unmount before install thing does work as well, just it doesn't fix the original problem, so the same thing will happen for the next update.

Futumsh -- thanks so much for this work around. I was having the same problem on my Droid2 since the last update and this cleared it right up. You guys doing an amazing job responding to our individual issues. Thanks for all the hard work!