PDA

View Full Version : New Slow Spells

Aquiana
04-12-2011, 09:50 PM
I loved the way the spells in the later version went one after another when you click them, but now you click and all the spells load. Why did they change it, the spells were fine how there were. :/ I love some of the new changes.but this one just.bugs me to much

Vallist
04-12-2011, 11:31 PM
There was an update 1.7.1 for Global Cool Down (GCD) that's the reason why all of your spell loads after you use one (0.5 second delay)
let me find the post for ya

EDIT: Here's the post http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?23320-Client-Update-1.7.1-is-Live!

WeezerMike
04-13-2011, 08:18 PM
I dont like the changes, but they are what they are, so....

How does this affect Mage strategy?

The first thing I can think of is that you can't cast all your spells anymore because they're too slow. I used to be able to spam 8 spells constantly through combat, but now I'm down to 4 at most. With that in mind, people should focus all their skill points into the most useful skills.

Beyond that, what's the effect?

lilbyrdie
04-14-2011, 11:01 AM
First, the overall damage output against a long boss fight hasn't really changed.

However, the initial damage output against bosses and all mobs has changed. Therefore, it's more critical to get your weapon firing right away to do damage. In addition, this might swing strategy in favor of blast staffs with AoE effects instead of wands.

Another change is that debuffs are less likely to be used during mob clearing. Instead, I now focus on frost blast, lightning, and firestorm. Lightning still does a ton of damage and can be used every 3 seconds. Those three use up half that 3 second time. That leaves 3 other skills that can be used occasionally in between. Ice is one, for direct damage. Heal is needed occasionally. And, finally, the two buffs need to be charged up.

That doesn't leave room for much else, unless you slow down to wait to buff and shield up between each mob group.

If you solo, like I often do, you can still run into the middle of a boss group, tap the weapon, then tap the two debuffs (1 second down), tap heal, then frost (2 seconds in), tap the weapon again as your first target should be dead, tap lightning then fire. That should clear the group. Might need a follow up ice or weapon to finish it off. The main distraction is if a buff comes up during that time or if the mob group has more archers than usual.

It really isn't that different than before. Except, I actually end up using pots rather than heal now in tight situations. I can't trigger-click heal because I might miss it during the gcd countdown. But trigger-clicking pots works as normal. Pots are just relatively more reliable now. And party members need to realize that. Be sure to tell them that you can either heal or deliver damage, but not both anymore. But also don't forget to tell them that they need to use their own pots now. They'll have plenty of time during the GCD of their own skills. :)

It's all a little slower. But that'll mean fewer visits to cardiologists later in life due to high blood pressure and stress issues. So, relax and enjoy the easier, slower game. :)

(Pots are ultra cheap -- just 15 gold each from Ellie in forest haven.)

Aquiana
04-14-2011, 01:50 PM
First, the overall damage output against a long boss fight hasn't really changed.

However, the initial damage output against bosses and all mobs has changed. Therefore, it's more critical to get your weapon firing right away to do damage. In addition, this might swing strategy in favor of blast staffs with AoE effects instead of wands.

Another change is that debuffs are less likely to be used during mob clearing. Instead, I now focus on frost blast, lightning, and firestorm. Lightning still does a ton of damage and can be used every 3 seconds. Those three use up half that 3 second time. That leaves 3 other skills that can be used occasionally in between. Ice is one, for direct damage. Heal is needed occasionally. And, finally, the two buffs need to be charged up.

That doesn't leave room for much else, unless you slow down to wait to buff and shield up between each mob group.

If you solo, like I often do, you can still run into the middle of a boss group, tap the weapon, then tap the two debuffs (1 second down), tap heal, then frost (2 seconds in), tap the weapon again as your first target should be dead, tap lightning then fire. That should clear the group. Might need a follow up ice or weapon to finish it off. The main distraction is if a buff comes up during that time or if the mob group has more archers than usual.

It really isn't that different than before. Except, I actually end up using pots rather than heal now in tight situations. I can't trigger-click heal because I might miss it during the gcd countdown. But trigger-clicking pots works as normal. Pots are just relatively more reliable now. And party members need to realize that. Be sure to tell them that you can either heal or deliver damage, but not both anymore. But also don't forget to tell them that they need to use their own pots now. They'll have plenty of time during the GCD of their own skills. :)

It's all a little slower. But that'll mean fewer visits to cardiologists later in life due to high blood pressure and stress issues. So, relax and enjoy the easier, slower game. :)

(Pots are ultra cheap -- just 15 gold each from Ellie in forest haven.)

Thanks for the great view and gcd how to :D

JemNI
04-15-2011, 11:27 AM
This was a good overview of GCD, but sadly outdated now that they have reduced it from half a second to about an 1/8th of a second. i never had a fast thumb in the first place so this is only a minor inconvenience for me.