PDA

View Full Version : Automatically Lock Old Threads!

Madnex
05-30-2015, 10:01 AM
As simple as it sounds, enabling an automatic lock to all threads that are one month+ old would not only make moderating easier but would also effectively eliminate necro-ing and improve the forum aesthetically by making it look much more organized and neat. :)

In addition, if an old issue/topic was in need of being brought up again, with this measure it'd be sure that the response or question would not get buried or lost under tons of previous posts (eg. in case of multiple pages' threads).

As a side suggestion, it'd be awesome if those locked threads could get a small lock icon next to the black sts logo icon (that signals that a dev/mod has responded). ;)

Serancha
05-30-2015, 02:33 PM
Depends on if vbulletin forums have such a feature. I only work with phpBB forums personally, so don't know the kind of functionality this software has.

I will say that the new "must wait 120 seconds (or whatever the number is) between posts" thing is annoying.

Zylx
05-30-2015, 02:43 PM
I will say that the new "must wait 120 seconds (or whatever the number is) between posts" thing is annoying.

This. I'm on the old mobile app, and so it doesn't show the timer counting down (if it does on web), so I'll be typing a long post and then the app says it gets posted, but when I check, its not there. Maybe if this was changed to 1 thread created every 20 minutes, or 1 post every 2 minutes on the same thread.

Same for the 11 character thing. That is in no way effective for anything. People are just typing "11 characters" after their posts.

And for Madnex's suggestion, what about the guides, or the community organization threads? I guess if it were an exception if stickied, but what about the guides?

One person to ask about vBulletin would be Bilaxman. He runs the The Community Guild forums, which use vBulletin software.

Madnex
05-30-2015, 04:34 PM
I'm not sure what kind of work would be needed if it were to be added as a feature but I've seen it happening in other vbulletin forums and it was pretty great.

About guides, locking a guide doesn't prevent anyone from finding or reading it and you can still thank the author or other posts. In special cases the lock could be lifted or (as seen in another great forums) editing rights could be given to the author after request to update the original post.

Andrisber
06-08-2015, 07:27 AM
Yeah... Let's lock all guides and stuff also! Hooray... But seriously, it is not a good idea imo

Madnex
06-08-2015, 12:14 PM
Yeah... Let's lock all guides and stuff also! Hooray... But seriously, it is not a good idea imo
Yeah... I don't see a different argument here than the one explained above.