PDA

View Full Version : question: original purpose for GCD would be......?

RueMorgue
04-13-2011, 12:31 PM
Not sure if it has been officially explained, but what is the purpose behind GCD?
Thanks in advance...

Zeazety
04-13-2011, 12:43 PM
To make you angry.

I would guess to balance combat a bit more... everything is a little more strategic now that you can't just roll your face on the skill bars.

RedRyder
04-13-2011, 12:47 PM
to prevent people from cheating in pvp by using the multi tap on tablets (ipads) for tapping and firing off up to 10 skills at the same time. it was implemented in pve as well probably because there might be no way to limit it just to pvp, since it may take a lot more work and other complicated aspecs to accomplish it. theyll be working on it and have a solution by the end of the day.

Cinco
04-13-2011, 12:54 PM
GCD? To add choice and challenge to the game (which I admit has had almost none since it launched), make PvP matches last longer (long enough to make choices and employ strategy), and to reduce the very large number of simultaneous ability effects that would go off every time a group of players spammed their skills. The latter makes clients run slowly and introduces a fair bit of 'lag.'

- Cinco

noneo
04-13-2011, 12:56 PM
to prevent people from cheating in pvp by using the multi tap on tablets (ipads) for tapping and firing off up to 10 skills at the same time. it was implemented in pve as well probably because there might be no way to limit it just to pvp, since it may take a lot more work and other complicated aspecs to accomplish it. theyll be working on it and have a solution by the end of the day.

See, this is what I don't understand. Why not just make the skills not tappable at the same time? Or, why not make the GCD a VERY small amount: .05 seconds, just enough so that a person couldn't smash their whole hand on the screen?

There had to be an alternative motive. I know part of the reason was for lag issues. But honestly, doing an entire gameplay overhaul for a few instances of lag seems a bit counterintuitive. Why not just tone down the effects or something? The only time I really noticed lag was after the Alien Oasis town addition, before then, lag was never an issue. I don't think I have seen anyone post on forums that they wanted the devs to change the lag issue, so I don't feel it was that big of an issue. Unless of course it was causing issues on the server side of PL, then it was a necessary change.

It seems to me that the devs actually wanted to edit the style of gameplay. Whether they wanted it to be more challenging, directed at more experienced players (which contradicts how much of an overhaul the "new player experience" has been), or just spice things up a bit, I don't see how all of this was done because of an ipad.

Doubletime
04-13-2011, 01:03 PM
GCD? To add choice and challenge to the game (which I admit has had almost none since it launched), make PvP matches last longer (long enough to make choices and employ strategy), and to reduce the very large number of simultaneous ability effects that would go off every time a group of players spammed their skills. The latter makes clients run slowly and introduces a fair bit of 'lag.'

- Cinco

Thanks Cinco. I guess my only question is that -- doesn't this new element take away from the casual nature of the game that has created such a broad appeal and ease of play. I posted my other comments in the Feedback thread, but to me it seems like perhaps the GCD went too far in one directions at the cost of some of the things that make this game so fun and appealing to so many people. I am sure there is a happy medium somewhere. And I really am appreciative of the attention that you all, as developers, give to our feedback. Thanks again.

Duped
04-13-2011, 01:08 PM
Thanks Cinco. I guess my only question is that -- doesn't this new element take away from the casual nature of the game that has created such a broad appeal and ease of play. I posted my other comments in the Feedback thread, but to me it seems like perhaps the GCD went too far in one directions at the cost of some of the things that make this game so fun and appealing to so many people. I am sure there is a happy medium somewhere. And I really am appreciative of the attention that you all, as developers, give to our feedback. Thanks again.

x2

I have noticed that there is only about 4 or 5 skills that are usable now just because of the time it takes to cool down. The change was too drastic IMO, but I am hopeful they don't stay. This is the only game I've ever spent money on.

Cinco
04-13-2011, 01:20 PM

Yes - you can now get into situations where you must make critical choices between which skill (or combo) you attempt... or your consequences could be dire! This does make it a bit less casual than it was. I like this because, as a game designer, I don't really wish Pocket Legends to be the ultimate in casual role-playing. I want it to be somewhat more skill / choice oriented than it has been. The GCD achieves this. Downside is - GCD takes some getting used-to :)

KingFu
04-13-2011, 01:22 PM
Yes - you can now get into situations where you must make critical choices between which skill (or combo) you attempt... or your consequences could be dire! This does make it a bit less casual than it was. I like this because, as a game designer, I don't really wish Pocket Legends to be the ultimate in casual role-playing. I want it to be somewhat more skill / choice oriented than it has been. The GCD achieves this. Downside is - GCD takes some getting used-to :)

and lots of locked threads in the making?:p I like GCD a lot though, ads more of a skill requirement, less of a speed requirement.

Lesrider
04-13-2011, 01:23 PM

- Cinco

I just don't understand this, Cinco. Any time the game was challeging, you guys nerfed it (with the exception of the caves, of course). Please make up your minds. -_-'

RueMorgue
04-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Yikes. I'm not trying to be a smarta$$, but my lag has been worse since gcd. I have never been into games in my life until I stumbled across this gem. I truly love this game and spend money on it because I think it's worth it, but gcd ruins it for me. Metronome-type game play.....press(wait)..........press(wait)......... .press(wait)........
However, I like what the game has been up until now, so ill wait it out to see what sticks.
P.S. I wish the devs good luck in sorting this out; they kinda have the whole world in their hands.....and hey......it's a big world in there.

StompArtist
04-13-2011, 01:25 PM
I just don't understand this, Cinco. Any time the game was challeging, you guys nerfed it (with the exception of the caves, of course). Please make up your minds. -_-'

I don't want to whine but fixing a lag issue by having a built in lag seems somewhat contradictory to me...

superglut2
04-13-2011, 01:28 PM
Less lagg. I can rly feel the difference on my ipad sometimes.

Duke
04-13-2011, 01:29 PM
GCD? To add choice and challenge to the game (which I admit has had almost none since it launched)

Balefort Sewers is challenging (for level 50-54 character) because of good level and boss design. Making the game "challenging" by nerfing players' abilities to use their character's skills comes across as a lazy way to add challenge.

make PvP matches last longer (long enough to make choices and employ strategy)

To repeat my concerns from the original thread regarding the pending GCD: it's a bad, bad idea to break PvE to satisfy the small number of people who actually do PvP.

and to reduce the very large number of simultaneous ability effects that would go off every time a group of players spammed their skills. The latter makes clients run slowly and introduces a fair bit of 'lag.'

I'll buy this as legitimate, even if I think the better solution is to just turn down detail on the slower clients.

Lag is a problem in a different direction now, however... my skills don't seem to fire at all if my ping time starts getting above 500 or so.

Lesrider
04-13-2011, 01:30 PM
I don't want to whine but fixing a lag issue by having a built in lag seems somewhat contradictory to me...

Your quote messed up my face :p

Anyway, to add to what I said -- there are many ways to make the game more challenging and offer more choices. You've proven that in the past with the original ao3, etc. There are ways to tweak the game without doing a major overhaul.
For instance, add more skill choices, but limit people to 12. Or add passive skills to the mix (most RPGs have them).

Make little changes that offer people MORE choices, rather than taking things away to FORCE them to choose from things they're used to having.

Plasticuproject
04-13-2011, 01:41 PM

Cinco
04-13-2011, 01:42 PM
I agree with everything above. My chronic lag mixed with purposeful lag of the gcd and its poor responsiveness pretty much leave this app useless for me. I simply can't play now. For lack of better words, for me you broke the game, and it sounds like You are not even willing to play with the gcd time at all, you want to nerf and buff other things. Everything so far in this thread makes total sense save everything you've said Cinco. I'm sorry but that's how it seems. I hope you guys get everything worked out so I can play my game again! Good luck!

Sorry to confuse you :)

See you around.

Physiologic
04-13-2011, 01:46 PM
I agree with everything above. My chronic lag mixed with purposeful lag of the gcd and its poor responsiveness pretty much leave this app useless for me. I simply can't play now. For lack of better words, for me you broke the game, and it sounds like You are not even willing to play with the gcd time at all, you want to nerf and buff other things. Everything so far in this thread makes total sense save everything you've said Cinco. I'm sorry but that's how it seems. I hope you guys get everything worked out so I can play my game again! Good luck!

Are you the dude that posted this video on PL's facebook page?

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150159485596358&oid=110165572334271&comments

If so, I feel really bad for you. Sorry to see you go.

ratava
04-13-2011, 01:50 PM

- Cinco

Hi Cinco -

Thanks a lot for this. I just downloaded the app update (finally!). Yup first impression were immediately:

1) Smoother performance
2) More decision and working on strategy for using skills.

& thanks for supporting my oldee 2.5G iPhone: Cannot believe you guys are able to pull this off. *doffs hat*.

Perhaps a few tweeks in some of the updates but time will tell. I was thinking (manna/health increases could be exempt from GDC) but maybe that is an unproductive idea as only been playing for 30mins and you guys surely will have tested a lot more than that! Kudos.

Plasticuproject
04-13-2011, 01:52 PM

Olli Walli
04-13-2011, 01:55 PM
I agree with the concept of what is trying to be achieved, however, I think it needs to twinking. I wouldn't say this adds any more challenge to the game, it just makes you play at a slower pace. If you wanted to stop us from pulling large groups etc and just running into rooms, you have accomplished this.

I myself wish the game was more challenging. If that was the goal, making harder mobs and harder bosses would solve that and make everyone happy. Yet like Lesrider stated, in the past you have nurfed the game when it was more "challenging" (more fun?). So I also am at a loss with this. If the timing is reduced to a shorter time than .5 seconds I think that could make a huge difference.

I am optimistic that everything will work out. As it is I am left disappointed, yet like most other players I will continue to play regardless

Gaddy
04-13-2011, 03:34 PM

http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150159485596358&oid=110165572334271&comments

wow that was funny. he's mashing on the skill buttons that are still GCD dark while totally neglecting to use his basic attack. Poor playing, just really bad...

Kindread
04-13-2011, 03:42 PM
wow that was funny. he's mashing on the skill buttons that are still GCD dark while totally neglecting to use his basic attack. Poor playing, just really bad...

He's actually mashing on skills that should be ready and are lit but the skills are not responding.

krazii
04-13-2011, 06:27 PM

- Cinco

The "lag" was a badge of honor for some, especially when it was filled with "Combos" and immediately followed by many npc deaths. I've said enough about the GCD in other posts, but for me it's sad the game is changing into a less casual game, I think that was a major strength of this game. I can get hardcore mmo challenges from other games.

Kraz

lilbyrdie
04-13-2011, 07:40 PM

I think that's a mistake and not a particularly good reason. I do understand it -- and am glad you've stated it -- but the game has been out as a casual role-playing game, reviewed (and highly praised!) as one, and played as one for more than just a few weeks. Purposefully changing the type of game? Try it in Blackstar. :p

And, most of all, it's on mobile devices -- the ultimate in casual gaming devices, where the ultimate in casual role-playing _should be_. But, if PL is going to turn into a hard core RPG, well, that's fine. I still graduated from college despite playing MUDs 20 hours a day -- I would have killed for a way to play mobile back then! I'm sure I can still find time to get work in now. :)

The other stated reasons -- lag and PvP blasting -- had (in my mind) several alternate solutions (such as server enforcement).

Thing is, I don't mind the GCD (as I've stated before) but, from my point of view, it's actually taken skill and choice away from the game (so far).

I appreciate the forum involvement by you and the other employees. I've seen some games where big, unpopular changes have taken place and the developers didn't explain anything. Far worse.

Anyway, gotta go back to the grinding... :)

lilbyrdie
04-13-2011, 07:47 PM

Wow, that video makes it look terrible! I have no such problems. But his/her problems have nothing to do with GCD and everything to do with the phone not detecting presses quite frequently -- and them pressing for another several times after it finally does go through. And let's not even get into the use and selection of skills for a bird. :)

Tiliana
04-13-2011, 08:51 PM
... everything is a little more strategic now that you can't just roll your face on the skill bars.

LOLOL10charLOL!

Wbto-Angeluscustos
04-13-2011, 08:58 PM

omg i did not know that they could multi touch.. that is sick although very unfiar

suomaf
04-13-2011, 09:11 PM

no that dude is me.. i posted it last night. I tried playing this morning when the new update came out.. its not as worse as last night but still annoying. I wanted to provide objective feedback to the devs. I tried to do a poll, but that got lost (read deleted) somewhere along the line. I am interested to know how you are liking the update phys? I have seen your videos on how to play a bird by being in front, are you using much more pots?

Also I as well as many others look up to you on your playing style and have seen that video you posted on how to be in front, could you take the time to do a quick video for us with high ping to see how you do it now?

suomaf
04-13-2011, 09:17 PM
Wow, that video makes it look terrible! I have no such problems. But his/her problems have nothing to do with GCD and everything to do with the phone not detecting presses quite frequently -- and them pressing for another several times after it finally does go through. And let's not even get into the use and selection of skills for a bird. :)

It does look terrible, it felt even worse. I know that I look like a complete newbie, but thats pretty much how I play. I would scream if I see a bear scream so as to try to catch the terror combo. I would try to use the roots to line up for the mages to go with lightning, but timing was off and frustration sets in. At the end of the video, I was pretty much paying attention to the skills buttons and not much else. The phone in question was a nexus S and the skills not firing was the high ping in my country added to the new GCD I think. The high ping was always a problem before, but during some good times, I would really enjoy myself, now not so much.

SUPAPRODIGY
04-13-2011, 10:01 PM
it was made to make it a fair experince for everyone and to get rid of alot of lag because everyone was using all there attacks at once thats y GCD was created

Elyseon
04-13-2011, 10:22 PM
I said a few things against GCD on facebook, now PL blocked me even though I have praised many of the large number of successful additions to the game in the past. (Btw PL, I really like the penguin face)

Chancer
04-13-2011, 11:53 PM
GCD is the worst double the amount of potions u need and the time to get through levels, also it greatly weaken players ability at buffing which should ideally be done at one instant, now in pve the mobs easily slaughter the players even 56s. Furthermore the idea of it has caused many players to abandon the game which is not good( unless u want to be the only player). I used to be unlucky to die once in a lvl, now I'm lucky if I only die once. GCD is destroying the players' enjoyment of the game and it is hurting the game itself. As for pvp it now shows little of the player's strategy; it just shows who has more armour mainly the previous strategic combo of pvp now are reduced to minor attacks an the player's weaker weapon is take the kills of elongated battles. I truly hope dev consider the players voice and remove it. GCD mainly just switches the roles of the legend and the noob.

Kindread
04-14-2011, 12:00 AM
And, most of all, it's on mobile devices -- the ultimate in casual gaming devices, where the ultimate in casual role-playing _should be_. But, if PL is going to turn into a hard core RPG, well, that's fine. I still graduated from college despite playing MUDs 20 hours a day -- I would have killed for a way to play mobile back then! I'm sure I can still find time to get work in now. :)

Did you ever play the MUD Achaea by Iron Realms? If you did, you might remember me. I'm Lord Caine de Soulis of the Maldaathi.

krullnan
04-14-2011, 12:04 AM
nuking also caused ping to go up on some devices. my droid 2 ran it just fine with nuking but some devies it would cause ping to go up or even ping out.

Dorno
04-14-2011, 02:24 AM
GCD is the worst double the amount of potions u need and the time to get through levels, also it greatly weaken players ability at buffing which should ideally be done at one instant, now in pve the mobs easily slaughter the players even 56s.

I wonder if this is an unintended effect of the GCD or a major reason for implementing it. The fact is with the way the game works now it would be MUCH more tempting for somebody who is invested in PL to spend lots of money on Platinum to advance their character. I remember playing before the 'it takes more XP to lvl' update... That update made me seriously consider whether I wanted to continue playing or not because the game began to feel like a real grind. I considered buying Pots to gain dbl or triple XP, but, in the end I just bought a few with extra gold. Playing from lvl 1 to 56 seems like it would take an absolute eternity now though. I mean literally a couple months playing for several hours or more a day.

I'm not saying STS added the GCD as a way to increase revenue, but, in a freemium game like this the motives of the developer are going to be questioned. Hopefully I'm wrong, but, I probably won't be around to find out either way. Might come back to checkout their new game(s).

Elyseon
04-14-2011, 05:36 AM
Well if it was meant to increase revenue, it failed considering players online now have been greatly reduced since those pre-1.7.1