PDA

View Full Version : 1.7.1 Content Update (57007)

Pages : 1 [2]

Ellyidol
04-14-2011, 08:42 AM
look like u can cast 1 skill 3 times ?

I think that's what Luchta means by the cancellation, which I interpreted as being some sort of queue.

It only actually casts once, when it actually starts its CD.

Umbravulpe
04-14-2011, 09:01 AM
Please get rid of global cool down, it ruins gameplay. I love this game but the GCD is awful.

Luchta
04-14-2011, 09:02 AM
You should see my version/attempt to combo or do the 3 taps with my current 2k ping lag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n121VYo9kNA

Yes in the previous patch. the skills will actually go on cool-down all together for .5 seconds and now it looks as if it's only half of the previous one. I'm not sure if I got it correct.

Added: Wow I didn't realize someone actually puked when I was taking the video. LOL!

cynic
04-14-2011, 09:10 AM
wow that was deleted quickly!

edit: there was something written between luchta and me, that was so quickly removed, seems a protest isnt ok here?

Ellyidol
04-14-2011, 09:13 AM
You should see my version/attempt to combo or do the 3 taps with my current 2k ping lag.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n121VYo9kNA

Yes in the previous patch. the skills will actually go on cool-down all together for .5 seconds and now it looks as if it's only half of the previous one. I'm not sure if I got it correct.

Added: Wow I didn't realize someone actually puked when I was taking the video. LOL!

I think that's exactly what the devs are trying to sway away from, the speed of how fast skills are supposed to be used.

Just a rough guess, but those 4 skills in your column, you pressed them in roughly 1 second?

Lady Zindra
04-14-2011, 09:14 AM
As a full int Mage I need to be able to heal and buff my party as well as cast my spells. This is now impossible to do with the GCD. And as for Rezin party members takes too much time now cause I am fighting for my life and other members there for the one who died must wait for the Rez. Please remove this GCD so we can effiicently play our role in the game.

Leani
04-14-2011, 09:18 AM
Great game, not a big fan of the GCD but I suppose I'll get used to it eventually.

The one thing since the update that really bothers me though, is the fact that even with all sound turned off, I still get the new sound of ppl landing in the pool in the towne of Alien Oasis. Having heard it once it quite enough imo. :p

I'd appreciate an option to turn it off along with the other sounds, or to stop the repetition of said sound.

neko
04-14-2011, 09:19 AM
Feels better. I can roll through my skills now. Not perfect, but better.

I haven't had a chance to catch up with the threads but after spending a couple of solid hours each the past two nights I'm finding that GCD isn't that bad and I'm getting used to it. The pace of PUG runs seem to be picking up as players are likely getting used to the same system. I ran a few runs with Phys and Mooger with my bird and while the times are slower than "normal", they were still pretty decent. This morning I ran a few runs with Narilover with my Pally and I swear Catacombs seems easier than ever. I do wish I can heal the team faster, though. Sorry, I'm not a PvP player so I can't comment on that.

Cinco has stated that GCD is here to stay and while the general feelings from the community is very negative, I find it to be okay.

Duke
04-14-2011, 09:25 AM
BTW, one issue totally unrelated to GCD... the change to quests to automatically offer the next quest (if available) after completing one works most of the time. I find that sometimes it won't work like that for quests which start with a particular quest giver and end at a different NPC, who is then supposed to offer a new quest.

Also, if a single NPC has 2 or more quests to get simultaneously, it doesn't seem to work as intended there either. You accept the first quest and then have to start a second conversation to get the next quest.

Note: I was seeing this both pre- and post- patch with 1.7.1.

Hayabusaz
04-14-2011, 09:28 AM
OMG !

Make a sewer king set bonus ..

Hullukko
04-14-2011, 09:29 AM
To those who say they can't cope with it or it has ruined the game for them, I'm sorry to sound blunt, but frankly at this point its either you adapt or quit the game.

Think of a change you just couldn't accept. Imagine they did it anyway.

For a free game? Sure. But I've paid good money for this one. I don't think it's fair to jolt it into something different that I really can't bear. This was no minor tweak.

It's within their legal right to do what they want with their game. The plat buying system allows them to do what ever they want in that regard, but it doesn't make it right.

Luchta
04-14-2011, 09:44 AM
I think that's exactly what the devs are trying to sway away from, the speed of how fast skills are supposed to be used.

Just a rough guess, but those 4 skills in your column, you pressed them in roughly 1 second?

I'm not sure. Possibly 1 second give or take. But all I did was try your method. With pre-GCD on an iphone, I could feel the full burst was faster or registers much better compared with my android.

Ellyidol
04-14-2011, 09:49 AM
Think of a change you just couldn't accept. Imagine they did it anyway.

For a free game? Sure. But I've paid good money for this one. I don't think it's fair to jolt it into something different that I really can't bear. This was no minor tweak.

It's within their legal right to do what they want with their game. The plat buying system allows them to do what ever they want in that regard, but it doesn't make it right.

I understand, that's why I didn't mean it to sound blunt or rude.

Change is just inevitable in any aspect, and it's not like the devs are changing for their benefit only. They've said its for the health of the game in the long-term, which ultimately means it's good for us.

We have our own opinions, different views and tolerance so I think we can leave it at (in Mystical's words) agreeing that we disagree. :)

I'm not sure. Possibly 1 second give or take. But all I did was try your method. With pre-GCD on an iphone, I could feel the full burst was faster or registers much better compared with my android.

Uh-oh, device differences?

Tamino
04-14-2011, 09:51 AM
The one thing since the update that really bothers me though, is the fact that even with all sound turned off, I still get the new sound of ppl landing in the pool in the towne of Alien Oasis. Having heard it once it quite enough imo. :p

Mee too, and I had the impression (more tests when I return home) there is something wrong with the sound when I am in busy state, that is looking the inventory or friends list - maybe the volume sound raises if new player splashes into water even if I am in the distance from pool?

Ellyidol
04-14-2011, 10:01 AM
PL FB :

Pocket Legends
More GCD tweaks coming today... thanks for the feedback!
55 minutes ago ·

So yay!

Luchta
04-14-2011, 10:01 AM
Uh-oh, device differences?

That was the real issue way back. I never told this to anyone but since we're in the post-GCD, the only way to kill a multi toucher with less than 100 ping pre-GCD is to fire your combo maybe half a second earlier. That was the only way but it worked. If you tried to fire the combo only when they are already in range, you would instantly die even before you could tap your second or even first skill. That's how unfair PvP was.

Ellyidol
04-14-2011, 10:03 AM
That was the real issue way back. I never told this to anyone but since we're in the post-GCD, the only way to kill a multi toucher with less than 100 ping pre-GCD is to fire your combo maybe half a second earlier. That was the only way but it worked. If you tried to fire the combo only when they are already in range, you would instantly die even before you could tap your second or even first skill. That's how unfair PvP was.

Same sentiment.

In my screen, he could be barely in range or just out of it. Next thing I know 34231412 arrows hit me and I'm dead :P

Kindread
04-14-2011, 10:07 AM
so your saying sts should only screw there current player base? ok sounds like the way to go.......

Err no that's not what I'm saying. Read bro. I'm just stating a fact. A new player would not notice the difference because they wouldn't know anything different.

Luchta
04-14-2011, 10:15 AM
I wish devs would let the PvP leaderboards reset quarterly. Class-based and overall winners for every quarter like a vanity of some sort? Just thinking aloud.

Luchta
04-14-2011, 10:16 AM
Err no that's not what I'm saying. Read bro. I'm just stating a fact. A new player would not notice the difference because they wouldn't know anything different.

Right after I patched. A level 2 mage messaged me saying, this game is sooooo coooool. IKR?!

vol
04-14-2011, 10:18 AM

Hah but they might not stick around, because they don't enjoy it.

Having said that I think iteration 1 was slightly better and hopefully #2 will be even better

Justg
04-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Mee too, and I had the impression (more tests when I return home) there is something wrong with the sound when I am in busy state, that is looking the inventory or friends list - maybe the volume sound raises if new player splashes into water even if I am in the distance from pool?

Originally we had you spawning in outside the oasis, but the pool-party was so cool we changed the spawn point to be inside it. This led to continual harps going off as people spawned in. We're pulling the SFX but will leave the drops with today's patch.

Semiauto
04-14-2011, 10:41 AM
The skill cool down and charge up indicators are just confusing. Half the time I have no idea if the skill I pressed on the touchscreen actually worked. I know people will say that it's 'all about timing'. But in the middle a mob and having to fight, time your skills, all while potting (cos they're not going down as fast as they were) makes the game extremely tedious and frustrating. I can only imagine how a newcomer to the game would find it too much of a challenge to overcome.
The strengths of this game is it's fast pace and simplicity, which is essential cos it's platform is phones/pads. Make it slow and complicated and there will me much less people playing.
The new GCD timing has not helped much. Why can't the devs just slow down the skill charge up timing? You don't have to worry about GCD, players can still spam their skills in short bursts and balancing will be easier

nabidavid
04-14-2011, 10:57 AM
The joy of the global cool down has led me to my first post...

First, let me say that Pocket Legends is my favorite game on both my iPad and Atrix. As a software developer myself, I can recognize the handiwork of a skilled development team. I tip my hat to the hard work of the devs and the high quality of the complete PL experience. I have one avatar of each of three classes (all in the lvl 40ish range at the time of post) and I enjoy them all. The game is great. Period.

I do appreciate most of the features in the latest major update. I like the visual improvements to the GUI/HUD throughout. I like the additional faces/masks for the avatars. So far, I still find the new emotes hilarious! (In other words, I am not annoyed in the slightest as others have stated). Although I have not created a new character, I think the improvements are a great idea.

However, I do hate the GDC. Like others have said, it has led to one of two choices: I play the game at a much slower pace or I get murdered. I really have no desire to see the game slow down to half speed. I really have no desire to start dying frequently due to a mechanics change. I have tried the recent patch to reduce the cool down lag, and it does speed it up greatly. The effect of the patch is much appreciated; however, I still don't feel happy. Due to the GDC feature, my overall enjoyment of the game is plummeting.

I am all for any of the following as a solution:
1. Removing the GDC altogether
2. Adding some kind of queue to skills -- multi-selected skills would fire in succession once each cool down completed. The queue would have some reasonable limit, such as 4-5 skills allowed at a time.
3. Reducing the cool down period to a quarter second or some other shorter period of time.
4. Creating an option to enable/disable the GDC in the game settings menu. (This is based on the idea that GDC was to help people who accidentily multi-activate skills due to fat-fingering).
5. Any combination of 1-4

Although I have tried to look on the bright side and even calm the flamers camping the consignment store complaining about the GDC, I personally have no benefit from the GDC. I don't fat-finger the skills buttons. On the contrary, I love to activate many skills at a time. I also don't play PvP, so any "leveling of the playing field" has no affect on me either.

As a fellow developer, I know that the feature was added with the intention to improve the game, but it is only hampering me personally. I have tremendous faith in the spacetime studios team to continue to improve an already great game. I look forward to seeing what action, if any, will be coming to improve upon the idea of the GDC.

Thanks!

adwin
04-14-2011, 10:58 AM
What Semiauto and nabidavid wrote is exactly what I wanted to share as well.
When you're in the middle of the fight, you don't have the time to think "oh, is that GCD or did my skill spawn correctly?"

Furthermore, the 0.5 GCD is unacceptable (to me). Add to that the AVERAGE human reaction time of 0.25s and you've got yourself effectively a 0.75s cooldown, and that, on EACH subsequent skill, making this not a linear, but more of an exponential CD.
My suggestions (other than those already submitted):
- AT LEAST halve the GCD to 0.25s (I would even go as low as 0.15s) in the next patch.
- GCD should be forced in PvP, but left as a toggle/option for story mode.

Duke
04-14-2011, 11:05 AM
Right after I patched. A level 2 mage messaged me saying, this game is sooooo coooool. IKR?!

You realize, of course, that a level 2 mage wouldn't be affected by GCD at all. Not until level 3 (BTW... when did the skill levels change?), when you have two skills to chose from, would GCD come into play at all.

Luchta
04-14-2011, 11:28 AM
You realize, of course, that a level 2 mage wouldn't be affected by GCD at all. Not until level 3 (BTW... when did the skill levels change?), when you have two skills to chose from, would GCD come into play at all.

I realized the level 2 mage won't be affected at all because he found the game as is. He might not even realize what GCD means or why we used to have to kill TPaxx or clear VL before the shadow cave portal showed up.

This made me think and wanna ask if whether those who hate the GCD ever bothered asking why some like it and other just adapt to it?

Subterraneous
04-14-2011, 11:37 AM
Will someone please define what multi-touch is? I hear people complaining about multi-touch and iPad but that doesn't make all iPad device users multi-touchers does it? For example, I do play on an iPad but have never mashed two buttons together on a screen. Therefore, I'm not a multi-toucher, correct?

Luchta
04-14-2011, 11:47 AM
Will someone please define what multi-touch is? I hear people complaining about multi-touch and iPad but that doesn't make all iPad device users multi-touchers does it? For example, I do play on an iPad but have never mashed two buttons together on a screen. Therefore, I'm not a multi-toucher, correct?

There are devices that only has 1 or 2 touch points. This means a player can only tap 1 skill at a time and would need to pause or break on each tap so the device can recognize the x and y axis where this person tapped.

There are devices with 3 or more touch points (the ipad has 10 i think) and the more touch points you have, the advantage of tapping all the skill at once or fast enough that the server bursts all the skills in 1 go. Leaving no place to pause or give the other player a chance.

bstosnbata
04-14-2011, 11:54 AM
devs how about the quickplay? for me quickplay is so convenient T_T please bring it back devs

xyoz
04-14-2011, 11:55 AM
i dont care about other people using multitap, usually theyre birds, im a mage, i dont care, i just want gcd gone, its supposed to reduce lag in fights, and in turn it actually adds lag, the global cooldown on the skills really messes up my ipod

Lesrider
04-14-2011, 11:58 AM
If it's just about multitap, wouldn't a .01 cooldown take care of that? (As many others have mentioned)
So can't be all about that.

bstosnbata
04-14-2011, 12:04 PM
guys, am i the only one who likes the quickplay? devs are you even addressing this? i've been telling you guys about this since the first day of the update.

Dartagnian
04-14-2011, 12:05 PM
Ok, I just tried my hand at a map I was being owned at due to Gcd and it worked a heck of a lot better. I still would rather it have not been implemented and I hate being a beta tester when I never asked to, but it works and here we are. I'm gonna go play my bird now.

Luchta
04-14-2011, 12:09 PM
If it's just about multitap, wouldn't a .01 cooldown take care of that? (As many others have mentioned)

I'm still hoping for that or just allow queuing. I hope the devs reconsider. Maybe this coming patch in the afternoon?

nabidavid
04-14-2011, 12:09 PM

It would probably have to be a 0.01 server-based cool down. Lag would effect the actual length of time. If it was just a device cool down like with the recent patch, it may still give some devices an advantage over others.

The funny thing is that if we were talking PC gaming, it would be considered the user's own fault and responsibility to go out and find a better device. If the cool down was really intended to limit some kind of multi-touch advantage for PvP, it would be an odd choice to apply it across the board and "punish" the majority.

bstosnbata
04-14-2011, 12:10 PM
nice change with the GCD devs. it feels more sharper now. but still i still keep on looking at the skills to check if they are available to use now. maybe i just have to get used to it. oh please put back the quickplay..

Luchta
04-14-2011, 12:27 PM
It would probably have to be a 0.01 server-based cool down. Lag would effect the actual length of time. If it was just a device cool down like with the recent patch, it may still give some devices an advantage over others.

The funny thing is that if we were talking PC gaming, it would be considered the user's own fault and responsibility to go out and find a better device. If the cool down was really intended to limit some kind of multi-touch advantage for PvP, it would be an odd choice to apply it across the board and "punish" the majority.

I can relate to that but I have to keep in mind that whatever is being done to improve PvP, is something that should have been prioritized from the start. At least that's what balance in other MMORPG is all about. I don't want to create a useless mage just to die against a bird with the same level with only 4 skills that burst like jet fuel.

Kindread
04-14-2011, 12:56 PM
As great as PvE is, there's only going to be so much content that is released at once. Everyone hits that plateau where they're at level cap, have all the best gear and are sitting on a treasure hoard. There's not much else to do except have fun in PvP. Its the end-game. I never tried PvP because I figured its busted if people can spam multiple skills at once. Now I'm going to jump into my first virgin PvP game pretty soon.

AbsolutePally
04-14-2011, 01:25 PM
This is coming from a PvP perspective. I must admit, pvp is not so bad. Usually I play in less than 3g conditions (E) and get slaughtered because of my lag. Well last night playing with no lag I got almost 200 kills. I'm over 8000 kills now. What i've noticed is timing is different, the gcd requires one to be more patient and methodical. You can still kill people quick like before. It seems like everyone liked killing everyone else in a nano second. Birds especially. It takes more skill imo to play now, its RTS now (real time strategy) instead of who can hit their spells the quickest. When fighting pallys, I use debuffs first instead of going for immediate combo (after buffing first of course) this also works well with bears. I've seen birds fair well in GCD, to name names, HmmHmm kicks butt. It imo, shows which players are truely skilled and smart and which ones used multi or simply had a better/quicker connection and fingers. Of course one may generalize this post and say oh it's because Alwaysdtf is a mage. Well other classes like my friend Jcolt (dual bear) is doing well too. GCD makes you use your actual weapon, now the auto attack/melee is important. Before you did not need to hit auto attack or target just kill via spells. I'm liking it now where as I did not initially. I'm more into RTS I guess, games like Starcraft. PvP people are smart and learn very fast, stop complaining and adjust. You may like it. And for the birds!!!! Devs gave you guys a boost, plus damage!! On skills, each has more damage, not to mention,the insane set bonus for recurve set. The lower cool down should help as well, I'm enjoying it more than .5 s :) - DTF

Hayabusaz
04-14-2011, 02:13 PM
All i want is SEWER KING SET BONUUUUUS !!!! :'(

Azira
04-14-2011, 03:16 PM
I didn't get a chance to play much before the GCD was implemented...

Perhaps I am in the minority if I find I am button mashing *MORE* because I cba to look at my skills for when the CD is over. The "snappier" update seemed to help a little, but I actually was thinking through my mage combos more prior to the change /shrug

I think what other people have brought up about intentions and practical application are valid. If the intention is to limit multitouch spamming, then shorten the CD. If it is also intended to make players "think" more and be more intentional about their skill casts, then continuing to tweak the length and/or separating heals+buffs from damage+debuffs would help mage gameplay a lot. I find myself healing more often than launching combos since

1.) People are having trouble not being able to spam and so are then taking more damage than normal.
2.) Other mages aren't healing themselves(?) lol.
3.) By the time I can try to create my own ice/fire combo, the mob is already dead due to GCD.

Some if not most of that is probably since 99% of my play time is with random PUGs.

However, on another note, TYVM for the noticeable reduction in farting/puking spam~

CanonicalKoi
04-14-2011, 03:39 PM
After the last patch this morning, it's better. At least I can Thorn Wall and have it still in effect by the time I get my combo off. Mages Lightning/ice/Fire still doesn't work due to the lag time between spells. Shorter yet or gone entirely would be optimal.

Other stuff:
Made a new char this morning to try the new interface. Honestly, I kind of miss the storyline aspect of the old tutorial. I also didnt like that I had nothing showing on my screen with zombies standing in front of me. There was a delay before the "tap on your attack button" instruction came up followed by finally getting an attack button. The other concern is you wind up with less pots starting out. Before, I'd come out of the tutorial having played it to level 3 with 20 or more of each pot type and having been able to buy some gear. Now, I'm booped out in front of Hawken, with 16 health and 14 mana, crappy armor and weapon and less gold, making me unable to afford anything better in FH. Also....a boss? In a tutorial? Virtually guaranteeing you'll have to use one of your now-fewer pots?

ETA: just hit level 3, with 2 quests completed and have a whopping 223 gold. Enough to (barely) afford a level 1 bow, but nowhere near enough for a level 2, let alone a level 3. Zero pots dropped from any of the chests in Hawken's area and I'm using mana at a crazy high rate due to having to use a bow that requires 34 shots (!) to kill a single zombie and so using Blast shot at every opportunity. :(

Last night in V Lap on my 55 and this morning in AO1 with a level 35 Mage I had everything stop on the screen. Dead, full stop. Then suddenly, the action kicked back in. Unfortunately, it kicked in with my Mage dying. Both times I had signed on shortly before, coming from a cold device that had just come out of total shutdown so it shouldn't have been a cache issue.

aldover
04-14-2011, 03:40 PM
I personally am disappointed in the GCD, hate it... most other updated issues I can handle... As a matter of fact - Hats off to the Dev team for the hard, FAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dedicated work they give us all... I got so frustrated with the GCD earlier I just found no fun in just playing, very rare for me since I LOVE the Game - until GCD was put on. Got to say the rest was great - looks were great and all Devs... That GCD kinda killed my will to want to buy plat now and put money in - since I just die much faster. To each their own on thoughts and opinions, but for me - Not sure what I'll do now my fav game is not as fun... Please consider Devs, Please - another way to raise the money you need or fix what ever it was that the GCD is suppose to limit or fix. Either way - I understand - as in business, most all good things do come to an end sooner or later.

Thanks guys, been fun... AWESOME actually till that GCD was put in... You guys are great either way. I'm sure their is a fix, if I think of something I'll post it. Best wishes...

aldover
04-14-2011, 03:45 PM
Ahhh one other thing... The mana shield isn't protecting like it use to - Turn it on - and at times I still take full heath damage - weird... Not sure that is known or not - but felt I needed to bring it up for a Dev to look into if others are having this issue as well... Point is to make a game so smooth and people so happy to play it - they come back for more over and over and spread the word, until - well money income is not a problem any longer... Win/Win that way.

Kindread
04-14-2011, 04:08 PM
Just finished playing for 30 minutes on my lunch break at work and I noticed something. On my 3G connection the game is performing as well as my pre-GCD wifi connection. Is anybody else noticing this? Everything seems faster and smoother to me in terms of graphics and animations.

Dynastu
04-14-2011, 06:52 PM
Gcd is much better now! Thanks for all the work! I prefer the old version, but I think I can live with this :)

Dartagnian
04-14-2011, 06:53 PM
Just finished playing for 30 minutes on my lunch break at work and I noticed something. On my 3G connection the game is performing as well as my pre-GCD wifi connection. Is anybody else noticing this? Everything seems faster and smoother to me in terms of graphics and animations.

Yeah, actually, it does seem like pre-gcd. I had fun playing my bird and my bear PVE in groups. Thanks, devs!

Bagwaan
04-15-2011, 12:03 AM
Hello,
The game in the past day has gotten better. Why? Well because those of us that are playing, and trudging through these latest changes have adapted. Groups are alot tighter and all of the borderline insane types of play styles has disappeared. No one seems to stand out anymore. Perhaps all the players that impressed me with their play pre gcd were just mashers.
I know my play is less impressive due to the new gcd, but i still have the same playstyle, its just slower.
Here are my current thoughts:
* shorten the gcd. 0.125 secs might be acceptable, but I may be able to play happily with 0.250 secs. Even if it stays at 0.5 I will still play
*the new faces are cool, except for the Koala. It looks like it just woke up and needs coffee, the Teddy Ruxpin face looks alot fiercer than the sleepy Koala.
*the join friends fix is on the way, cool.
*new set bonuses. Has anyone seen these?
Cheers

TEPTEP
04-15-2011, 07:16 AM
Well, its a bit easier with low-level characters... but still HELL for my 53 bird
If you guys want GCD to stay, could you at least limit cool down to lets say 2 abilities? it would really help

Weak_Sauce
04-15-2011, 11:36 AM
I'm still not a fan of GCD, it makes game-play slow and boring this paired with the fact that my lag is worse now makes me not even want to play the game. So many people are unhappy with GCD I'm not understanding why it's being kept in the game.

Another problem that's never been addressed is the auto attack issues in the sewers. Too many times auto attack focuses on a spot on the floor which is extremely frustrating.

Lastly, I understand that you need to be profitable, every business does, but wouldn't it make more sense to lower the prices of platinum just a bit as well as the prices of things you purchase with platnum and add in more customization that you could use platinum on. People are a bit put off by the expensive of platinum and these features at their current prices and I believe that you'd see more spending if players felt that they were getting more for their money's worth.

asommers
04-15-2011, 12:25 PM
Threads are getting crossed. Please comment on latest content update here:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?23586-1.7.1-Client-Update-(57072)

-ALS