PDA

View Full Version : The fallacy of stat balancing...

Arterra
04-14-2011, 05:24 PM
http://i902.photobucket.com/albums/ac221/yuyuhakushi/9b082733.jpg

People trying to balance all 3 stats are EVERYWHERE in forest haven. There should be a intro into what all 3 stats do to you, and a explanation of how you should concentrate on only one.
I know when I started out, I made my Mage similar to this. Around lv6 I came to my senses tho and only had some bad stat choices.
A lv18 still balancing is unforgivable.

Physiologic
04-14-2011, 05:28 PM
Some MMOs have standard cookie-cutter builds and some MMOs have characters that can perform diversely through any combination of stats. For players that have experienced more of the latter, they might be transferring logic from other MMOs into PL which unfortunately results in this type of inefficient build. I agree that there has to be some sort of beginner's tutorial in-game that tells a new player what each stat does for each class - players are sort of left in the dark (they know how to add attribute points but have no idea what each point does).

SUPAPRODIGY
04-14-2011, 05:34 PM
i agree with u physiologics

Arterra
04-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Example for a forced npc chat:
"Now, you may want to experiment in battle with various techniques and build combinations. Just remember, if you want to use the best gear you have to be experienced enough In a single build, or you will not be able to wield them.

Lesrider
04-14-2011, 05:38 PM
What happens when he can't wear any equipment for his level bc he doesn't have enough points in any of the stats?

Gluttony
04-14-2011, 05:40 PM
Oh man, we've all been there! I, for one have to say that PL is the only role playing game (RPG) that I have ever played where focusing on one stat is a must. Every different type of RPG seems to have a balance, or sacrafice type system where you feel each point you add to any attribute is going to help you in some way. Not here, can't do it. I have no clue how this mathmatically happens, I just know that it does.

Arterra
04-14-2011, 05:48 PM
The way u see it is that individual stats here don't really affect your output that much... The gear does. So, stats are just vehicles to get gear. While large amounts in one or another do count, very rarely does one point here or there matter, unless you are getting just around tue corner for calculated stat per effect rounding.

Snakespeare
04-14-2011, 06:01 PM
Let's find the shortest and most straightforward way to say the instruction. Something like: "Assign your character's stats based on the gear you wish to equip." Then we'll propose that it be added to the tutorial.

FluffNStuff
04-14-2011, 06:02 PM
Agreed, I remember when I was giving away low items, a bunch of people could not equip anything at their level.

Physiologic
04-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Let's find the shortest and most straightforward way to say the instruction. Something like: "Assign your character's stats based on the gear you wish to equip." Then we'll propose that it be added to the tutorial.

That and also "Specific stats also greatly influences your class' skill damage. STR will increase Warrior's skill damage, DEX will increase Archer's skill damage, INT will increase Enchantress' skill damage)".

FluffNStuff
04-14-2011, 06:09 PM
For the players this an issue for should be putting all in their class based stat as it is the simplest, especially for the first 20 or so levels.

FluffNStuff
04-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Sorry for double, in phone. Other option is start a 3 class stats per level campaign, since that is what is needed for equip. The other two are free points.

Arterra
04-14-2011, 06:50 PM
Sorry for double, in phone. Other option is start a 3 class stats per level campaign, since that is what is needed for equip. The other two are free points.

I was just thinking of this... Making a profound suggestion... Look out for it.

Slush
04-14-2011, 11:36 PM
lol, thats one hell of a name
aziyuiscebaj

Riccits
04-15-2011, 01:57 AM
when i started the game a year ago i did same LoL
remember when ppl saying to me (bird) that my attributes sucks but i was convinced iam right lol..

JaytB
04-15-2011, 03:01 AM
I have to admit it took me some time to understand that the skills where stat-based too. I only looked at dps and armor for my baby bear :) A tutorial that explains this and the other topics mentioned would be a great idea indeed ;)

davidis57
04-15-2011, 03:25 AM
Some came where there was 3 races and multiple classes. As you leveled to like 10 or 20 you than decided your class. All classes would have same basic skills. You got your first class skills when you picked your class. You would than assign attribute and skill points you received. This is what many players are used to.

WJJ
04-15-2011, 10:07 AM
Ok. On my bear I have just enough str to wear the gear I want and put the rest into dex. Is that a mistake? I wanted to get my hit% up and thought that dex was the only way to do this. What I take from this thread is my gear would give more than putting the points into dex?

kamikazees
04-15-2011, 10:31 AM
That and also "Specific stats also greatly influences your class' skill damage. STR will increase Warrior's skill damage, DEX will increase Archer's skill damage, INT will increase Enchantress' skill damage)".
This is what needs to be said to new players. Tell them exactly which stat on which they should generally focus.

Arterra
04-15-2011, 03:33 PM
When I used to hang out in forest haven, I copy and pasted to people:
"Advice: concentrate on one stat so you can use the best gear for of its kind!"