PDA

View Full Version : Stat rehaul v.2

Arterra
04-14-2011, 07:24 PM
All of us older players will remember the stat change like it was only yesterday... Suddenly everyone's hit% was much lower, regen had been curbed, 100% dodge was no more.
Get ready for another do-over on all our favorite pastimes: stat and build allocating, to accommodate for this upcoming should-be-implemented-suggestion.

The condition of stats right now is more of a method to simply equip items. More time is spent figuring out how to have the least of a stat needed to equip one set and yet put the rest into another stat for general skill damage/other externalities.
Many players come from MMO's where every stat allocation has a purpose, every point counts, and characters can be fundamentally different from each other by no more than a few stat choices. Here, in PL, here are really a select number of different allocative areas, only some of them worthwhile, causing the famous cookie cutter looks.
Now, this may not really be that big of an issue. But if STS really wants to cater to these big gamer types alongside the typical casual players, having a more in depth and effect responsive stat allocative process would be ideal.

How to make stat points more responsive to general increases in player stats? Make less of them.
Every 5 levels you get 3 points, in between levels you only get 2. Spices things up a bit and rewards reaching specific map caps.
Lv15: 3 points
Lv16-19: 2 points (each level)
Lv20: 3 points

If each point leads to affecting player stats like hit, crit or regen more, then we may get more detailed allocations, instead of the usual dumping everything into one stat ritual that we always do.
Also, consider the last stat changing update: we got everything cut so we would not be over excessive amounts. We are already experiencing symptoms of another change, like mages never having to touch a mana pot, hit over 100%, and crit and dodge creeping ever higher.

The next stage of my thread/suggestion is thus: more stats to allocate points into.
At some point you will have to put a cap on how much Dex will affect hit, or str hp, etc. You could actually have that early on if you assign other stats to also affect it. Maybe mentality heightens both regens and skill power, just less than int or str (or Dex for skills power). Stamina increases max mana and hp and armor, but less than the original stats. Cunning makes hit, crit and dodge go up too, just slower than Dex or str.

The outcome of this is that once you reach the stat affecting cap of the original stats, your only need to put points into them is for gear, and the rest can go into more specialized, but with lower growth rate, stat allocations.

All in all, we are due for more revamps like this over time. At what point will you bite the bullet and incorporate something complex, but long term? (same with skills lol, skill tree could solve many problems)

Arterra
04-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Also, you can hide the extra stats until like lv30, where players have a good grasp of heir stats and preferences, and good gear starts coming in.

Durnam
04-14-2011, 08:55 PM
Something tells me that stat overhauls need to happen after a few level increases. Its hard to determine ahead of time how higher weapons/levels will affect the balance of the game. Seems like after every major change there's a power shift in classes... while i may or may not agree with your suggestion (I don't consider myself an experienced enough of a player to really know enough) I do support the idea of looking at re-working the system a little.

Arterra
04-15-2011, 07:01 AM
This game seems to have items take the lead for affecting stats. Balancing the effectiveness of items and points would be interesting.

Arterra
04-15-2011, 05:25 PM
Bumping as gsc chaos subsides.