PDA

View Full Version : Sensoring

Energel
04-16-2011, 03:02 AM
We have a huge debate over whether the banning of people for using inappropriate language is right or wrong.

Scenario 1 : Boss is pulled out of his pull range by mistake and his life resets, player says 'wt*' (but replacing the star with the letter' )

Scenario 2 : 'wt* the new patch suxxxx11!1' (but replacing the star with the letter' )

One could argue that both of these should get banned for inappropriate language, while others would argue that scenario 1 was just casual talk.
How to fix this? Star stuff out! Star everything out!
Just one star though. So if a 4 letter word is said and a 7 letter word is said, there is no distinguishing between the 2.

If Devs needed help with picking of the words I'm sure an over 18 section could be formed in the forum with a thread for it. Also the banned words in character name creation is a good starting point.

Let me know what you think. Devs feel free to chop and change this post to make it appropriate if I pushed the boat out too far.

JaytB
04-16-2011, 03:07 AM
I didn't realize you could be banned for saying wt* (replacing * with a letter) o.O

Plasticuproject
04-16-2011, 03:57 AM

Lesrider
04-16-2011, 04:12 AM
I think these people are confusing their getting banned for WTF with getting banned for simply saying the game sucks. I think it would have had the same end result without the WTF.

I guess I could be wrong, though.

Klemen
04-16-2011, 04:20 AM
would ST*U bann you too? :/

Energel
04-16-2011, 07:15 AM
Its inappropriate language, if you get reported, you more than likely will become under review.

Also can we keep this on topic. It's the suggestion I would like discussed, not my scenarios.

Ellyidol
04-16-2011, 07:24 AM
I think it all comes down to context.

Saying "wt*" in a public place (towne) vs "wt*" in a private game with friends could lead it to being interpreted differently.

We all can't help but slip an occasional curse (fire trap death, something like 3 pinks in a row, expression to a friend in a private message), it's only normal.

But when you start cursing or implying to curse in public, it's taken differently from then on.

Put it in a real life example, cursing and speaking inappropriately in public can get you in legal trouble (public disruption) and even get you banned from some places, but the same actions in a private environment with friends is totally different. Both are the same, but again it's all in the context.

A friend (real friend) won't call the cops on you for having a bad mouth in their home (hopefully). They'll probably just avoid you or not invite you any more, but a stranger in a mall can, especially since it's a public responsibility for you to behave accordingly.

Lesrider
04-16-2011, 07:53 AM
I would love to hear from a dev by now, bc I'm really surprised to even hear this being discussed. It's three letters -- it's like you're censoring yourself by using them instead of writing it out. I don't think anyone out there would be bothered by someone typing WTF.

I'm 99% sure it's the protesting that is getting people in trouble, not the use of three letters that don't even spell out a word. Maybe a dev can clarify?

Samhayne
04-16-2011, 08:03 AM
Hey Lesrider,

You can read more about our position on language and abuse in the thread:

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?22844-what-about-the-banned

If someone tells you they were banned for only saying "WTF" I'll wager they aren't telling the whole story.

The Terms of Service (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?11694-Pocket-Legends-Terms-of-Service) are pretty simple:

Spacetime Studios wants Pocket Legends to be a fun, safe place for all players!

We ask that you abide by the following rules:
1) Keep all chat clean!
2) Do not ask for another player's account information! And don’t give anyone else your own!
3) Do not do anything that will ruin another user's play experience!

Violations of our Terms of Service can result in suspension of your account or a permanent ban.

Lesrider
04-16-2011, 08:09 AM
Thanks, Samhayne! That's what I thought.
Just keep seeing these posts pop up and seems so silly that they still think three little letters like that got them banned.

KingFu
04-16-2011, 08:12 AM
Remember back when you'd get flagged for saying stuff like "spoon" and after 5 flags you get a 5 minute mute? Those were the days....

Lesrider
04-16-2011, 08:14 AM
Remember back when you'd get flagged for saying stuff like "spoon" and after 5 flags you get a 5 minute mute? Those were the days....

Lol well the spoon was naughty. He ran away with the fork!

KingFu
04-16-2011, 08:21 AM
Lol well the spoon was naughty. He ran away with the fork!

It was also too big.....

Edit:

Oh please, no one sig this.....

Energel
04-16-2011, 11:35 AM
The wt* was just an example, I didn't want to have to use obscene language.

Can we please jeep on topic of getting SWEAR WORDS censored, that was what I was trying to get at...

Ellyidol
04-16-2011, 11:36 AM

Can we please jeep on topic of getting SWEAR WORDS censored, that was what I was trying to get at...

They already are with the chat filter option switched on..

Lesrider
04-16-2011, 11:50 AM

Not sure what you're saying, then. If you say a word that's ban-worthy, it doesn't matter what the context is. People have been banned for what they said in private chat in-game.

And yes, like Elly said -- there's a censor in place already. And it doesn't save you from being banned either. So just think before typing.