PDA

View Full Version : Help Rooting Droid

Plasticuproject
04-16-2011, 01:22 PM

RahX
04-16-2011, 07:27 PM
Getting rooted is the hard part or at least it was when I went through it on my moto droid.

Rooting howto: http://www.droid-life.com/2010/08/26/how-to-root-android-2-2-for-the-motorola-droid/

Id suggest this rom http://www.droidforums.net/forum/chevyno1/135445-rom-ss-5-2-gb-2-3-3-3-24-11-a.html

I am running an older version of the simply stunning rom and it is sweet. He comes out with a new version about once a month and he updates current versions quickly. Also his kernels rock, ultra stable and fast. Both of my phones can only handle the 1ghz@low voltage and run reliably. Anyway the steps look a lot easier as far as rooting goes. Make sure you do a backup of some sortwhether it is a nandroid or what have you. Installing roms and kernels requires you to add an update.zip folder to the sd card and installing is as easy as rebooting into recovery and going to update from update.zip. Droidforums should have all your answers. Gaining root doesnt wipe your phone so everything should be as is. Installing a rom without wiping is the same way. Also i would recommend picking up an app called setcpu, its like 2$ or 3$ so you can throttle the cpu speed so you dont burn up battery or your phone.

Plasticuproject
04-16-2011, 07:49 PM

RahX
04-16-2011, 09:38 PM
You can gain root and get super user permissions without a rom. A rom is the visual part, icons, animations and such. You will have to install a kernel to get faster speeds. I dont know what rev the processor is on your phone but mine is from january or feb of last year and it takes 1ghz no prob. The ony things ive noticed is battery life is reduced by about 25%. I have to charge it every day if i use it quite a bit and every other if i use it for a watch and txt machine. The other is the thing gets noticeably warmer when under load. Playing pl it turns into a nice hand warmer. It hasnt given me any trouble and im going on nearly a year of rooted 1ghz use. Setcpu lets you control speed. If your phone runs at 1ghz with no propblem then run it at that speed. There are flags in setcpu that allow you to setup to reduce proc speed under certain conditions such as battery or cpu temp, battery life, screen off, fully charged or plugged in. You can prioritize the flags so that they are in effect regardless of another and can setup as many as you like. It is a sweet and easy to use program and if you get it i can post my flags to give you an idea of what to set them at. You can also set the program to ondemand proc speed so you can run say 250mhz until you need to use the processor and it can scale it up to full speed.

Plasticuproject
04-16-2011, 11:07 PM

RahX
04-17-2011, 12:49 AM
Awesome! Well here are my settings with a bit of explanation as to what they are and how they work. Main I have full speed and a min of 250 set on boot and on demand scaling, pretty self explanatory. As for profiles, I have a flag for CPU temp of 60c @ 250/250 with 100 priority. second is temp of 50c @250/250 both are to protect the battery and CPU. I have three for battery life, 51% 800/250, 41% 700/250 and 21% 550/250. You can play with those speeds and percentages, I run 1ghz so you might try diff speeds. Setcpu reads in increments of 10%, 1-10. So setting it at 55% is the same as 60%. If you want 50% you have to set it at 51 so as sson as it goes from 60 to 50 the flag trips. You could set it for 60 for the same effect but 51 is less confusing to me lol. All of those are at 90 priority. the last one I have is for screen off. It is set at 250/250 with an 80 priority. The other droid I did I had to set this one at 400/400 so ringers and alarms would operate properly so tinker. The advanced tab has a few confusing items. Tic set on boot. Sampling rate is how often setcpu checks for load requests. After researching this, 30000 seems to be the best setting. Up threshold I have at 50, this is how fast setcpu ramps up the processor. The higher number the faster it ramps. 50 is a nice balance between speed and battery life. I'd start at 50 and go up 5 increments at a time if your phone is acting odd. The last two set at 0, they don't really don anything and aren't needed on the moto droid. Let me know if you have any problems.

Plasticuproject
04-17-2011, 02:00 AM

RahX
04-17-2011, 08:35 PM
Np man chevy is an awesome guy and seems to really care about his stuff. You should try the ultra low v kernel if the low v kernel is working well. The ulowv kernel should help batt life. Have them both on your phone so you won't have any trouble if she boot loops if you try the other.