PDA

View Full Version : More Diversity in Enemy Attacks

Ebezaanec
06-16-2015, 12:03 PM
I've been offline for several months now and recently came back. While I was on vacation, I picked up a little game called Diablo 3. I initially avoided the game when it was first released due to certain reviews that stated Diablo 3 was less like its predecessors (meaning worse). But I eventually got it and played around with it.

I have to say that the graphics are stunning. The gameplay is fun and gear available is overwhelming. What interested me the most was the mobs, especially their attacks.

In Diablo 3, there these mobs.

Trash: weak, no special loot
Champion: buffed versions of regular monsters, drop better loot (mobs have blue glow)
Elite: significantly tougher versions of regular monsters, best loot (mobs have yellow/orange glow)
Bosses: pretty tough, best loot

The two I want to focus on are the Champion and Elite mobs. See, they come with special attacks. When the game loads a map, the system randomly assigns attacks (known as affixes) to certain mobs, making them either "Champion" or "Elite."

The attacks or affixes include:

Jailer (Crawly's AA)
Knockback
Nightmarish (Causes your character to involuntarily flee in fear)
Vortex (Whims' AA)
Wormhole (Summons portals on the floor that send your character to diff areas, usually to death)
Avenger (AS mobs die, remaining mobs are strengthened tremendously)
Health Link (all mobs share HP)
Horde (Elite or Champion has backup)
Illusionist (mob can split itself into clones)
Missile Dampening (projectiles are slowed/mob creates a time-shift. This checked the power of bow rogues/mages. Warriors/dagger rogues were idealized. Bow Rogues/Mages had to stay close to mob in order for attacks to land)
Shielding
Arcane Enchanted (pulsing beams of death! Avoid at all costs!)
Desecrator (conjure pools of lava)
Electrified
Fast
Fire Chains (mobs are linked by fiery chains/painful)
Frozen (freezes character)
Molten (mob explodes several seconds after death)
Mortar (mob launches mortar rounds)
Orbiter (Damaging electricity spheres are scattered around player)
Plagued (mob spreads poison DOT)
Poison Enchanted (Poison spreads on the ground in criss-cross pattern)
Reflects Damage (like Alpha Wolf)
Teleporter
Thunderstorm (Lightning storm above player)
Waller (mob conjures walls, trapping player)

ABOVE: Desecrator/Mortar Affixes

ABOVE: Missile-Dampening Affix

ABOVE: Poison-Enchanted Affix (This affix was deadly in close quarters)

ABOVE: Molten/Fire Chains

ABOVE: Orbiter Affix

ABOVE: Arcane-Enchanted (do not touch, lol)

As you can see, some mobs have more than one affix. That made the game fun, because mob fights were more interesting and required more coordination from all members. Some of the combinations were absolutely killer together (like Vortex & Arcane Enchanted). It wasn't just avoid the typical red-zone attacks and spam pots.

Speaking of that, Diablo 3 potions had 30-second cooldowns (you can't spam potions!), meaning that players had to choose wisely and work together to keep one another safe and alive. This made tanks very viable, hint hint.

My suggestion is to incorporate some of these attacks to mobs and bosses in the future. I believe it would make elite runs less tedious and monotonous. Right now, the game is pretty stale with KOs and red-zones. The addition of new mob attacks like this would spice up the game. If possible, loot for the mobs can be adjusted as well.

I understand if some cannot be implement because of server issues and whatnot, but a implementing a few would liven the game up, I'm sure.

intizamfamily888
06-16-2015, 12:32 PM
+1 to this its a pretty good idea

Maunyabastian
06-16-2015, 07:03 PM
These are the best. Sad thing is I've never known any Diablo X games.

+1 esp. the potions cooldown.
Welcome back.

Dalmony
06-19-2015, 08:46 AM
Wow O.o

I won't tell you what I did immediately after reading this post :3

mesalin
06-19-2015, 09:26 AM
Nice idea!

I'm so fresh

merch_master
06-19-2015, 09:53 AM
A simple mobile mmorpg can't handle that ...not suitable for this game IMO

Oursizes
06-19-2015, 11:34 AM
It will take too much time to reprogram each and every monster. Also what merch master said, im pretty sure a mobile game cannot handle what a game that runs on a system with much more space and a faster processor can