PDA

View Full Version : Inappropriate chat, auto-muting, and auto-banning

asommers
04-18-2011, 09:53 AM
We are working on the finishing touches of our new word filtering system to be released in a future content update.

For chat, tells, and boot messages:

1) If a player says any one of the words on our insta-ban list, their account and device will be permanently banned. Most of these words should not be said for any reason in any of Spacetime Studios' products and include hate speech terms, sex chat terms, etc.

2) If a player says any one of the words on our insta-mute list, and they will be muted for 5 minutes. Subsequent mutings will then be counted and can result in progressively longer game bans. For example, say <bad_word>, get muted. Say <bad_word> again, get muted again. Say <bad_word> again, get banned for 1 day. Say <bad_word> again, get banned for 3 days. Say <bad_word> again, get banned for 7 days, etc. <bad_word> can be any word in our mute list.

We go through great lengths to make sure that Pocket Legends is a fun, safe place for players of all ages. This new system should help alleviate the current customer service load when dealing with in-game reports.

-ALS

Olli Walli
04-18-2011, 09:55 AM
Will this list be made available?

Also, will this include where two words are strung together to make a word? I hope not because this happens frequently by accident.

Junside
04-18-2011, 09:58 AM
That's a bit risque in my opinion.

FluffNStuff
Will Crush the Keeper still result in a mute?

Ellyidol

Also, will this include where two words are strung together to make a word? I hope not because this happens frequently by accident.

Same question, will it be available?

Brings to mind the very controversial blacklisting of the internet.

KingFu
04-18-2011, 09:59 AM
Hmm, will noob be on this list?:o

But seriously, it's a great idea, I just hope it works well. Will save the devs a lot of time, I'm just worried it'll be like the other filter where you can't say "spoon" or anything. We will get a list, right?:)

Riccits
04-18-2011, 10:00 AM
yeah we really need this list... dont wanna be banned bcz of some unwanted words i dont think that they are bad...

and what about: "this item waS EXpensive". this always got filtered, but i didnt want to write that word..

Lesrider
04-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Except they probably won't want to show us a list bc then they're showing the words they don't want kids to see :/

FluffNStuff
04-18-2011, 10:02 AM
Except they probably won't want to show us a list bc then they're showing the words they don't want kids to see :/

Whack whack whack ... getting the soap to wash out your mouth! And Jonnie, where did you learn such awful words!!!

KingFu
04-18-2011, 10:03 AM

That's a good point. I suppose having it link to to a word precosser or something and having a warning that there's innapropriate worse wouldn't be enough?

noneo
04-18-2011, 10:05 AM
they could always upload a downloadable list and have a viewer discression note. may not be suitable for all ages..

Tamino
04-18-2011, 10:05 AM
I activated Chat Filtering and sometimes I got my speech covered by asterisk, probably because of missing spaces between words (a random bug of swipe keyboard on android), that foolished filtering sistem in some way. I hope content autocontrol will be implemented as an automatic alert system for an human to check, or my days on PL are approaching a bad end...

icantgetkills
04-18-2011, 10:09 AM
But what the point of chat filter isn't it that people use it to stop seeing the words they don't want to read? Also when me and friends go into private games and joke around say some funny sometimes inappropriate jokes we will get banned/muted I honestly don't like the idea just for those reasons sorry

asommers
04-18-2011, 10:12 AM
Thanks for the quick feedback. It's smart enough not to mute/ban for "it'S EXpensive" and "sPOON". The system will prefer muting to banning.

-ALS

karmakali
04-18-2011, 10:13 AM
BAN! BAN! BAN!
Auto ban hammer....your arm getting tired?
Lol....I always figured I would never get banned because I mostly behave myself but I foresee a fire grate death followed by a eff word and an autoban coming my way :(

Note to self.....behave!

icantgetkills
04-18-2011, 10:14 AM
Thanks for the quick feedback. It's smart enough not to mute/ban for "it'S EXpensive" and "sPOON". The system will prefer muting to banning.

-ALS

That is good.. Some games are like that -____-

xXjodieXx
04-18-2011, 10:17 AM
I got censored for saying I have lots of mANA Lol... before you start banning people permanently you should give Pocket Mom some prozac and teach her what the space bar is.

krazii
04-18-2011, 11:18 AM
ALS,

Any chance of implementing this with a warning first for a week or two so we can have a chance to avoid unintentional or unwarranted mute/bans? (and all the work to re-instate accounts on your end) How about you for the first week you get a message that says "You would have received a (mute/ban) for the use of the word (insert word)". That way we can become accustomed to it and have a better idea of what to expect/avoid? Also, we can give you feedback on any words or bugs with the word list.

It would be better to phase in something like this to avoid headaches on both sides of the fence.

Kraz

MoarPewPew
04-18-2011, 11:18 AM
Why not make that chat filter enabled all the time? This way players can swear and nobody will see the bad words and be offended.

:D

Personally though if you end up swearing on a casual mmorpg then you need to take a chill pill. (this game is supposed to be a laid back game)

Colborne
04-18-2011, 11:29 AM
I just need to know if this is gonna affect private games. Cause I host games for me and my friends to chat on and I don't think we should be banned or muted if we are not offending anyone. If it's a private game then only friends are there and most of my friends arnt so clean with their talk. Anyways just wondering how this is gonna affect tht. Also was wondering if there is a lost of these words that we as players can see and hopefully try to avaid using

KrachenVogel
04-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Perma ban for life with no warning? Harsh Insanity.

At least implement a one-time warning. Please? Mistakes get made. (phone text input leaves a lot to be desired.)

Honestly, I'd rather see more careful attention paid to inappropriate names. I often see sexual, obscene, and drug reference names.

wvhills
04-18-2011, 11:59 AM
I never use inappropriate language in game but I do get asterisks for typing crush the keeper and s) mega mage wand. I can't figure out either on of those.

drewcapu
04-18-2011, 12:50 PM
I just hope nothing in auto-correct gets a ban/mute. I've typed "awwww" before in chat and it auto-corrected to "multiple donkies". Luckily, I caught it before I let it go through.

Echelong
04-18-2011, 01:13 PM
I am curious about this, but what about us who speak another language. I talk Spanish only with 1 or 2 friends but I don't wanna get insta ban for a mistake. I just don't want to get banned for something silly that can be said in another language. At least get a warning before you send the chat, If its insta ban we could get some warning and the chat, tell or boot message shouldn't be posted if that person does it again then ban. I don't want a machine to take over bans I prefer G to do it or it will turn into a Skynet take over the world thing.

I am up to make PL a safe place for kids and teens that play and even here on the forums I am one that will report those advertising threads.

I just hope nothing in auto-correct gets a ban/mute. I've typed "awwww" before in chat and it auto-corrected to "multiple donkies". Luckily, I caught it before I let it go through.

This too auto correct is very wrong on a lot of corrections or should say miss-corrections

Wrap
04-18-2011, 01:57 PM
We go through great lengths to make sure that Pocket Legends is a fun, safe place for players of all ages. This new system should help alleviate the current customer service load when dealing with in-game reports.

-ALS

Adding in-game player mods may be something to consider for the future, just a thought. Many games have this and it seems to be an effective method. This way he/she can be warned politely before any action is done. Just a thought :)

AnotherAzi
04-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Agree that inappropriate character names is as big a problem as chat.

Pandamoni
04-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Yesterday I tried to put "gah!" as if I was yelling in exasperation and my stupid iPod auto corrected and replaced h with y. When I tried to correct it it did it again! I would hope I wouldn't get banned for something like that!

Kalielle
04-18-2011, 03:09 PM
The perma-ban with no warning for saying a single word seems very harsh for me too. I think most people I know should have been permabanned by that standard, and they're not rude people by any standard. But who can honestly say for certain that they never ever said a really bad word in the many months they played the game? Some words that can be considered terrible or sexy-chat can also be used to express annoyance not directed at anyone in particular, or as an expression of happiness ("---- yeah!!!"). Or sometimes people are provoked into saying something they wouldn't usually ever say.

Yes it shouldn't ever happen in PL, not even in private chat with someone about whom we're certain is an adult - but we are all just people. A player could invest months in the game and be a nice person all the way, and then be banned forever for a single word, and by a bot who couldn't even judge the context. (Meanwhile others could get away with expressing terrible ideas so long as they choose their words carefully enough, or come up with creative enough misspellings that the system would miss.) I think for a first infraction spotted by an automated system, the penalty should be much less harsh to compensate for the lack of human review.

Edit: regarding the inappropriate names, I think the solution would be to add a separate "report name" button or give us some way to tell the devs that we are reporting a person's name. I've seen questionable names before but I've always wondered if just pressing the report button would leave a customer service person reading through a long chat transcript and wondering why on earth I reported someone. So I make a mental note to e-mail the name to support but then real life kicks in and sometimes I forget about it - I'm sure others are the same and that's why you see high level characters with inappropriate names sometimes even though tons of players saw them and could have reported them.

Pandamoni
04-18-2011, 03:18 PM
The perma-ban with no warning for saying a single word seems very harsh for me too. I think most people I know should have been permabanned by that standard, and they're not rude people by any standard. But who can honestly say for certain that they never ever said a really bad word in the many months they played the game? Some words that can be considered terrible or sexy-chat can also be used to express annoyance not directed at anyone in particular, or as an expression of happiness ("---- yeah!!!"). Or sometimes people are provoked into saying something they wouldn't usually ever say.

Yes it shouldn't ever happen in PL, not even in private chat with someone about whom we're certain is an adult - but we are all just people. A player could invest months in the game and be a nice person all the way, and then be banned forever for a single word, and by a bot who couldn't even judge the context. (Meanwhile others could get away with expressing terrible ideas so long as they choose their words carefully enough, or come up with creative enough misspellings that the system would miss.) I think for a first infraction spotted by an automated system, the penalty should be much less harsh to compensate for the lack of human review.

Edit: regarding the inappropriate names, I think the solution would be to add a separate "report name" button or give us some way to tell the devs that we are reporting a person's name. I've seen questionable names before but I've always wondered if just pressing the report button would leave a customer service person reading through a long chat transcript and wondering why on earth I reported someone. So I make a mental note to e-mail the name to support but then real life kicks in and sometimes I forget about it - I'm sure others are the same and that's why you see high level characters with inappropriate names sometimes even though tons of players saw them and could have reported them.

I couldn't agree more!

And I like idea of a report name button.

im4broke
04-18-2011, 05:05 PM

Very true, I texted a friend about the updates this morning and used something like this, "it is explained" and ended up with "it i* **plained." I guess "s(space)ex" is a banned word. So I am thinking that when the Dev'* *** a dictionary the punctuation is inclusive in foul language. lol! Still they do a great job! Thanks guys.

And a special thanks for my reward of the "Sheild of Gratitude", just found out it is usable on all my characters and may have kept me from deleting my lvl 26 bird!

azulflame
04-18-2011, 06:05 PM
crush the keeper - cruSH The keeper

causes explosion - cauS EXplosion

big problems for me, those happen to be in my quickchat (bte, ice then fire causes explosion)

lilbyrdie
04-18-2011, 06:22 PM

-ALS

Good to hear, because I see asterisks come up all the time in normal chat. Will that change along with this?

Would also be interesting if it warned -- with a dialog -- before the post went through should someone have accidentally typed something. For instance, there are lists around on the net of really bad word replacement problems with some phones when fixing spelling. Can't forget that we're all on difficult-to-type on devices that like to autocorrect our every move.

I can't even begin to express the typing frustration I have in-game. And I usually play on a Xoom, with a nice big keyboard... :)

karmakali
04-18-2011, 06:29 PM
I predict that any time that STS saves on reviewing complaints and reports made for inappropriate text will now be spent reviewing appeals on permabans. :(

lilbyrdie
04-18-2011, 06:38 PM

You have several good points in here that I would like to add to.

Or sometimes people are provoked into saying something they wouldn't usually ever say.

Seems like a great way to try to get someone banned. Just provoke them.

not even in private chat with someone about whom we're certain is an adult

If they're a friend of yours, and it's private chat, it really shouldn't matter. They won't report you. You won't report them.

I think the solution would be to add a separate "report name" button

I wonder how much of the load is actually from that. I've seen _several_ really rude names.

Then again, I also considered -- and dismissed -- the idea of reporting habitual farters, too, because it was lame, rude, and annoying. The fart-reduction update seems to have helped enough, though.

I think for a first infraction spotted by an automated system, the penalty should be much less harsh to compensate for the lack of human review.

Absolutely agreed. And if the system can autoban/mute, why can't it just throw a message that says your language isn't appropriate and didn't go through? That would a) clean up the chat and b) provide feedback to folks who don't realize that STS is serious about keeping the language clean.

(Meanwhile, in the CS room, someone is absolutely foul mouthing off... hilariously offensive. )

(Update: Seems the language turns really harsh at updates, too, with frustrated folks.)

skavenger216
04-18-2011, 07:24 PM
I'm screwed, lol. My phone likes to autocorrect clean words aNd make them dirty, lol. If I'm trying to send message fast, sometimes I don't notice until its sent ( after which I apologize and explain lol).

Good example : any time I type the word "shot" it becomes a four lettered s word.

lilbyrdie
04-18-2011, 07:39 PM
I'm screwed, lol. My phone likes to autocorrect clean words aNd make them dirty, lol. If I'm trying to send message fast, sometimes I don't notice until its sent ( after which I apologize and explain lol).

Good example : any time I type the word "shot" it becomes a four lettered s word.

We need phone settings that can clean our sheets and socks, shine our brass, and scare the fox away. :) (And if you don't get it, good. It's crude, otherwise.)

davidis57
04-19-2011, 02:00 AM
Its best to review the TOS. When in doubt don't say it. If it is sexist or racist than you know those words will be on the list. Btw gay is one of them don't use it.

Kalielle
04-19-2011, 11:41 AM
And if the system can autoban/mute, why can't it just throw a message that says your language isn't appropriate and didn't go through? That would a) clean up the chat and b) provide feedback to folks who don't realize that STS is serious about keeping the language clean.

I love that idea! Yes, come to think of it, why not just keep the message from getting through in the first place - and maybe display to the intended recipient something to let them know about it. ("The PL troll detection system has been activated. User X is muted for 1 minute while we wash his mouth out with soap.") That would make a joke out of those who try to use foul language in the first place.

If you really want some words completely out of PL, this makes more sense to me than relaying the foul language for everyone to see, and then slapping the user for it. The harm has already been done by that point. Let people rant at the empty air instead if they want to vent off some steam. Nobody ever needs to see it and the only thing harmed will be their virtual keyboard.

aWildEevee
04-19-2011, 04:50 PM
I think the insta-acc ban is going to be VERY risky, and should probably have an appeal center and warning. Such as one warning, shows you your offense and why, next time is ban. And your warning should be erasable/forgivable if it was A MISTAKE, or misunderstood. NOT if you were in the wrong. Or possibly if you go without a ban or mute for a few months, your strike goes away.

Sun
04-19-2011, 05:01 PM
I'm not really a fan of this idea, especially instant ban for one word. There's already a language filter in place, if people don't want to see bad language all they have to do is check the box. The only time I think using bad language should be a bannable offense is if it's used for flaming, or it's in direct offense to another player.

Like others have said, mistakes happen, I'm one that has an iPod that auto corrects duck and shot to vulgarities and I'd hate to be banned for something unintentional like that. Tbh I think having the system determine bans or mutes is a bad idea, it should be up to the players to decide whether another person is being offensive.

asommers
04-19-2011, 05:01 PM
We're taking all of this into consideration when implementing. I'm not going to reveal the banned wordlist, but it just a few words on it. When in doubt, we'll prefer filtering to muting, and muting to banning.

Thanks for the feedback.

-ALS

romgar1
04-19-2011, 06:44 PM
Thanks asommers. I was worried for a moment reading this thread. Im not naive but I have no idea what p oh oh n. Means. I've never seen it. A good filter is preferred to a good banning system. Ban are necessary but not good when over used. Stopping the problem of foul language will keep parents happy and reserve bans for those who take time and effort to think of ways to get around the filters. Autocorrect is a big factor as well as asian, Hispanic, french and other players who speak a different language. Keep up the hard work guys. And thanks again.

karmakali
04-19-2011, 07:03 PM
asommers....the voice of reason :)

xuz
04-19-2011, 07:04 PM
1 problem there ALS what if a friend/brother or even someone hacks your account and says these Inst - ban phrases/words??

LADYHADASSA
04-19-2011, 07:07 PM
I can see why pl is searching an alt root, some players make a point to be offensive.. Yet i am carful but, spell check does not like noob... And many ither basic words, inclusive of the basterd sword and so on, though i am sure this is an on going issue, it seems that names that have been allowed to be created with sub spellings etc. Can be very offensive as well.

I am assuming the auto ban will occure with lewd and gross conduct ( much like the justice system levels) this behavior i woukd without queztion be all for perma instant ban..

There is a BIG diffrence from an occasional word or accidental spell check error, that for those who run around making a serious effort to swear and ignorance...

Somone here metnioned in game moderators nice idea as well. Perhapse using a locked forum for communications, somtimes one player will be able to reach an offender better than another, with select pool of players who are able to problem solvealong with diffrent points of view and ways of speaking it seems many young ( i say young because at some point swearing and sexual comments are cool due to a youth feeling they are older") adopting a group of players to work with advise and guide is not such a bad thought process, as reaching these youth goes beyond simple game play but dabbles into their real life view points.

LADYHADASSA
04-19-2011, 07:10 PM
I can see why pl is searching an alt root, some players make a point to be offensive.. Yet i am carful but, spell check does not like noob... And many ither basic words, inclusive of the basterd sword and so on, though i am sure this is an on going issue, it seems that names that have been allowed to be created with sub spellings etc. Can be very offensive as well.

I am assuming the auto ban will occure with lewd and gross conduct ( much like the justice system levels) this behavior i woukd without queztion be all for perma instant ban..

There is a BIG diffrence from an occasional word or accidental spell check error, that for those who run around making a serious effort to swear and ignorance...

Somone here metnioned in game moderators nice idea as well. Perhapse using a locked forum for communications, somtimes one player will be able to reach an offender better than another, with select pool of players who are able to problem solvealong with diffrent points of view and ways of speaking it seems many young ( i say young because at some point swearing and sexual comments are cool due to a youth feeling they are older") adopting a group of players to work with advise and guide is not such a bad thought process, as reaching these youth goes beyond simple game play but dabbles into their real life view points.

Please excuse the various spelling errors and typos.. Being a pl addict i decided that i did not need sleep last night... And at the moment am way to lazy to even try to fix.... :)

Apostar
04-19-2011, 07:39 PM
Scary at best. Pray that there's a list; until now I didn't know I was being nsta-mute when I typed Crush The Keeper. Thought it was just a typo problem. And there are times when I'm busy with one PPL and can't respond to someone else talking to me; and after I'm done, I'll ask the other player to "say again". Hadn't been banned so far, but this one is on a need to know bases. Please give us a list.

Ayrilana
04-19-2011, 11:02 PM
I just need to know if this is gonna affect private games. Cause I host games for me and my friends to chat on and I don't think we should be banned or muted if we are not offending anyone. If it's a private game then only friends are there and most of my friends arnt so clean with their talk. Anyways just wondering how this is gonna affect tht. Also was wondering if there is a lost of these words that we as players can see and hopefully try to avaid using

Doesn't matter. It'll affect everything.

DanielRH
04-20-2011, 06:55 AM
Just saw this...

FINALLY!!!! Hopefully this will be great!!!

although... there are 1000000000000000000000000 ways to get around the filters....

Jaesiah
04-20-2011, 07:21 AM
I dnno...I'm all for policing people in public forms of communications..but what I say to friends I think should have some consideration. Yes it's nice to not have to worry about having Simone abuse you in tells...but it is also nice to be able to tell your friends what ya really think about something sometimes also :)

Conradin
04-20-2011, 07:34 AM
I love this- forest haven will be safe again. I will have to watch myswlf tho- i dont swear like a sailor but ocasionally ill say daayuum in a pm or if something goes wrong. Not at people.

Skyler84
04-21-2011, 07:38 AM
I just feel that this will gets many people banned for no reason at all. Words are form from many factors. One very important factors are language used. Please do understand that not all players can conversate in english. Mother language are often used too. Second factor is national differences. Some words that are normal to us may be offensive to you, and we will not be able to know which are those words or phrases that are in this case. So due to this, it will become an unfair treatment to those who didnt know. So in short my suggestion is, people should report instead of an auto ban being implemented.

Why am i being concern about this is because there are many words being filtered in games are definately very normal to us. I do not mean seperated words. For example, jap is filtered but why? Its just a short form for japanese. And also words like sexy are also being filtered. In my country at least, the word sexy is not an offensive word neither is it totally a sexual related word (depending on how the word is being used). So this is my explanation of why i do not support this auto mute and ban to be implemented.

Glauk
04-21-2011, 08:38 AM
I bet it will get a nice work out for a while. I swear, some of these kiddies just want to be banned. I've seen multiple times, people in the CS just swearing and bulking other players and telling people to report them cause they say nothing will happen to them. I always message them to chill with the cursing before obliging them and hitting the report button, but never know if anything ever really happened to them. I'm hoping when this in place, it will remind them that there are rules and part of the game is not to see if you can be banned. Thanks DEVs for making the game a bit more friendly!

Zipponator
04-21-2011, 09:02 AM
I find the perm ban for saying a bad word quite ridiculous, i understand a week then a month etc but a straight forward perm ban for saying a bad word...... It may even be a mistype.... Like when ppl say sex in pvp when they mean sec. This will be a great downfall in my eyes.....And if we dont even know what the bad words are well......

Rudyrokz
04-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Honestly I think this idea is a bit unfair. The reason being that when you string words together you often end up making words you didnt mean to make. For instance: Cru->sh T<-he Keeper. Etc...

JemNI
04-21-2011, 10:03 AM
Honestly I think this idea is a bit unfair. The reason being that when you string words together you often end up making words you didnt mean to make. For instance: Cru->sh T<-he Keeper. Etc...

Exactly. I'm constantly getting censored for this type of thing. I have to remember to say "tap it" instead of "push it" and "would like it" instead of "wish it". It would suck if I got muted or banned for such a thing. But I understand it's hard and people can get around censoring by doing clever things like "F_R_A_K YOU!" I almost wonder if an auto-mute ought to occur when some presses the report button on someone. If it's abused, then the abuser ought to get a consequence, but used appropriately, it would silence the bad offenders quicker than waiting for STS staff to respond.

Skyler84, I'm not sure if your question was rhetorical or not, but in America, "Jap" has racist connotations. I don't think it's as bad as other racist words we've invented, but still. Although Japanese-American sure is hard to type on an iPhone. ;)

I'm reminded of a joke my son likes. "What word starts with 'f' and ends with 'uck'?

"Firetruck!!! What were YOU thinking?"

csb
04-21-2011, 03:03 PM
Please ban for asking "Are you a girl?" I'm so tired of that, i instantly un-friend anyone that says that.

Skyler84
04-21-2011, 04:31 PM
Thanks JemNI for explaining to me regarding the word jap and seriously i didnt know it has racist connotation until you mention. Therefore this futhur proves my point. Because this game is played by many people from different countries and will definately face different understandings on particular word and phrases. Therefore auto banning or muting is not a good idea.

Fawayleik
04-21-2011, 04:42 PM
I believe its a good idea. It is more feeling of roleplaygaming.

But if i dont like the words or spam of a person i can ignore him, and keep my feeling :)

xyoz
04-21-2011, 10:21 PM
Just one question... Isn't there already a chat filter? And since we have the option to turn it off I'm sure that having an autoban is a bad idea. If we don't want to see swears or bad language that's what the filter is there for. Also I believe alot of accounts will be banned as a mistake of misstyping or filter problems, don't we also have freedom of speech, isn't this somehow against that. And what if you have bought alot of platinum and you accidentally say a word that gets you banned.

This will be my point of quitting, I believe they have already messed things up with gcd and if they add this auto ban chat filter I'll feel even more restricted then we already are.
STS - please don't add this, I know you want to keep younger kids and the community safe and so do I, but update the filters, don't add muting and permanent bans

Rusalio
04-21-2011, 10:32 PM
It's pretty sad when society assumes slang and vulgarity is a common form of communication. Seems to me that a key ingredient called decency and proper speak have failed to be taught by parents and has resulted in a generation of lazy speech and properness....uggggggg in reality if YOU really THINK about it. There is no real reason to use it. It serves no real purpose other than to either boast or beat down ppl. I can tell you that it's not a form of speak that survives the real business world. There are there exceptions and I am not without fault, but really is there any reason it's needed in a kids game and amongst the kid community? My applause to PL for trying to keep the talk relatively clean amongs this kind of venue!!!!!! Totally awesome

Oh and know I am not a kid....:)

costalot
04-21-2011, 10:38 PM
It's pretty sad when society assumes slang and vulgarity is a common form of communication. Seems to me that a key ingredient called decency and proper speak have failed to be taught by parents and has resulted in a generation of lazy speech and properness....uggggggg in reality if YOU really THINK about it. There is no real reason to use it. It serves no real purpose other than to either boast or beat down ppl. I can tell you that it's not a form of speak that survives the real business world. There are there exceptions and I am not without fault, but really is there any reason it's needed in a kids game and amongst the kid community? My applause to PL for trying to keep the talk relatively clean amongs this kind of venue!!!!!! Totally awesome

Oh and know I am not a kid....:)

I completely agree this is a great idea and I hope that they will let us know what is bad by when your about to type something bad incidentally or something that you don't know is on the list it will turn red. To The Devs, I use to play a game by Disney called VMK and when someone tried to type something bad it wouldn't let you press enter and type the sentence. However, it didn't take long for people to find clever ways around it. For example you weren't allowed to say love so people said glove. It became so common the devs there couldn't do anything to stop it because so many people did it

spookytooth
04-22-2011, 01:04 AM
I completely agree this is a great idea and I hope that they will let us know what is bad by when your about to type something bad incidentally or something that you don't know is on the list it will turn red. To The Devs, I use to play a game by Disney called VMK and when someone tried to type something bad it wouldn't let you press enter and type the sentence. However, it didn't take long for people to find clever ways around it. For example you weren't allowed to say love so people said glove. It became so common the devs there couldn't do anything to stop it because so many people did it
because heaven forbid we have a bunch of people runnin around here sayin words like Love........

Stull
04-22-2011, 07:03 AM
I like the muting function/idea. Would a player receive a tell that they have been muted? Also, it's late for me, but I can't figure out why you can't say "crush the keeper"? Oh, wait. Now I see!

invision
04-22-2011, 07:15 AM
I completely agree this is a great idea and I hope that they will let us know what is bad by when your about to type something bad incidentally or something that you don't know is on the list it will turn red.

As if you wouldn't know what's "Good" and "Bad" at your age... Personally when i was about 5 i knew what i shouldn't be saying...

Lesrider
04-22-2011, 07:29 AM
because heaven forbid we have a bunch of people runnin around here sayin words like Love........

Lol seriously. WTF were they thinking? Man...

Nordic
04-22-2011, 09:07 AM
Hello!

I have a kinda offtopic request. But since you are talking about languages this is kinda near :)

But could you please add to the game letters : Ä,ä Ö,ö and Å,å. (I´m not sure if you can see those correctly so they are "A" with the dots, "O" with the dots and the "A" with singel dot a.k.a "the swedish O" )

Since all the players don´t have english as their mothers tongue this would be very helpful.
Thanks!

[EDIT]
ps. Those letters do show up on my device keyboard but the game chat can´t reconize and display them.

Nordic
04-22-2011, 09:30 AM
Hello!

I have a kinda offtopic request. But since you are talking about languages this is kinda near :)

But could you please add to the game letters : Ä,ä Ö,ö and Å,å. (I´m not sure if you can see those correctly so they are "A" with the dots, "O" with the dots and the "A" with singel dot a.k.a "the swedish O" )

Since all the players don´t have english as their mothers tongue this would be very helpful.
Thanks!

[EDIT]
ps. Those letters do show up on my device keyboard but the game chat can´t reconize and display them.

Oh! And by the way, I´m not sure how much you got players from Germany, but they also have some special letters that probably woun´t show on the chat. Maybe it would be nice for them also to be able to use them :)

..Now that I start to think about this there are a lot of special letters in all the languages, but if you could impliment even some of it it´d be great!
Thanks!

KingFu
04-22-2011, 09:40 AM
Will acronyms such as "WTF" and "IDGAF" be on that list?

Nordic
04-22-2011, 09:45 AM
Will acronyms such as "WTF" and "IDGAF" be on that list?

In my opinion those are bad language as well. And I don´t like the fact that people can tell you in the chat stuff like "GTFO", so those also should be marked as bad language in my opinion :)
I was also thinking what about the cases where you can go around the filter by adding extra letters for example if you would mark "Duck" as a bad word. Would people be able to write "Duuck" ?

csb
04-22-2011, 09:48 AM
I noticed that late at night there are often people being as vulgar as possible. I think because they get the app free, they are trying to see how far they can push the limits before getting banned.

One of my characters has an asian name, and late at night i get tells from people that hate foreigners. Honestly, playing PL is the first time I ever encountered discrimination.

KingFu
04-22-2011, 09:49 AM
In my opinion those are bad language as well. And I don´t like the fact that people can tell you in the chat stuff like "GTFO", so those also should be marked as bad language in my opinion :)
I was also thinking what about the cases where you can go around the filter by adding extra letters for example if you would mark "Duck" as a bad word. Would people be able to write "Duuck" ?

Agreed, as well as "STFU"

From the sounds of it, you will be able to do that. Disappointing, but will prevent words like "spoon" and "It's expensive" from banning/muting/warning people. We don't want that to happen AGAIN:)

Nordic
04-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Agreed, as well as "STFU"

From the sounds of it, you will be able to do that. Disappointing, but will prevent words like "spoon" and "It's expensive" from banning/muting/warning people. We don't want that to happen AGAIN:)

Yapp! And people can allways report these players who are writing bad stuff on purpose by adding extra letters. And now here we have a GREAT opportunity to come up with nice and encouragin acronyms such as YART = You are really talented or NMHM = Nice moves handling mobs ^_^

spookytooth
04-22-2011, 11:05 AM
And we can get rid of the anger emote cause it promotes violence maybe? And no more red colored gear cause it makes the bulls mad? Booo to unlimited cencorship

Colborne
04-22-2011, 01:33 PM
And we can get rid of the anger emote cause it promotes violence maybe? And no more red colored gear cause it makes the bulls mad? Booo to unlimited cencorship

Uh oh!!! You don't wanna make the bulls mad >:[

CORNDAGMAN
04-22-2011, 01:43 PM
What if we say something on accident, example I meant to say "DEX"but u know the other word I accidentally said this is gonna make me nervous when I'm typing.

Kraze
04-22-2011, 04:52 PM
IMO this is a case where the best intentions leads to a climate of fear. Why not just beef up the chat filter? If I am in a party with people I know will not be warped and damaged by me saying WTF why can't I say it? I understand a lot of kids play the game but not evreyone that plays is a child. It's also kind of funny people are so worried about what words kids may see but don't bat any eye when jr goes out and kills 1,000s of zombies.

skavenger216
04-22-2011, 07:21 PM
So..... what is the purpose of the chat filter? Kind of unnecessary if your gonna just automute people. As many kids play this game, there is also a lot of adults who play too. We should be able to turn off our chat filter and say pretty much whatever amongst eachother. At the very least, free speech should be allowed in private, password protected games. Just my opinion, not meaning this to be negative in any way.

Lesrider
04-22-2011, 07:33 PM

A dev already told me "WTF" on its own will not get you banned, and I don't see why it should. Maybe when I write it, I'm thinking "What the Fudge!"

asommers
04-22-2011, 09:07 PM
For every feature we add we go through the same thing. Look, we'll tweak it. If you see a word that shouldn't be allowed, let us know. If you see a word that should be on the list, let us know. I can't help auto-correct. Make sure it says what you want before you hit enter. For words used mostly in a negative manner, they will be on the list.

Like the GCD, the mute filter will be a tremendous help to our Customer Service workload and is here to stay.

-ALS

Ladylove
04-22-2011, 09:11 PM
For every feature we add we go through the same thing. Look, we'll tweak it. If you see a word that shouldn't be allowed, let us know. If you see a word that should be on the list, let us know. I can't help auto-correct. Make sure it says what you want before you hit enter. For words used mostly in a negative manner, they will be on the list.

Like the GCD, the mute filter will be a tremendous help to our Customer Service workload and is here to stay.

-ALS

Off topic: Hehe I slipped in between your post and your lock. I feel accomplished.

Weak_Sauce
04-22-2011, 09:11 PM
So..... what is the purpose of the chat filter? Kind of unnecessary if your gonna just automute people. As many kids play this game, there is also a lot of adults who play too. We should be able to turn off our chat filter and say pretty much whatever amongst eachother. At the very least, free speech should be allowed in private, password protected games. Just my opinion, not meaning this to be negative in any way.

I couldn't agree with you more. This has gone from annoying to beyond ridiculous. I'm sure a lot of people liked it in theory until they say a word that gets them muted. Its only a matter of time before it happens to you. I thought this is why we had a report button.

Lesrider
04-22-2011, 09:15 PM
It seems like this time-saver will only create more work for you guys with all the "OMG I've been banned!" emails.

jaggedlilpill
04-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Oh it will, STS must need more work lately with these crazy updates/adds to the game. :P

swiftdots
04-22-2011, 09:36 PM
i got muted and diddnt even realize what word i said my in game name is swiftdots this is pretty upsetting... seeing how i dont even know what i said......i got muted a second time not knowing what i said and what do u know banned for a day STS why?!?!

swiftdots
04-22-2011, 09:40 PM
please help me at least figure out why i was banned? this is aggravating seeing how i waited for servers to come up for 2 days

JaytB
04-22-2011, 09:41 PM
i got muted and diddnt even realize what word i said my in game name is swiftdots this is pretty upsetting... seeing how i dont even know what i said......i got muted a second time not knowing what i said and what do u know banned for a day STS why?!?!

As said in you other thread: send a mail to support(at)spacetimestudios.com.

It won't get you anywhere posting this here :)

asommers
04-22-2011, 09:41 PM
Sounds like we need to move some words from the mute list to the chat filter list. We will update the system message you get when muted to let you know what the offending word was.

-ALS

JaytB
04-22-2011, 09:44 PM
We will update the system message you get when muted to let you know what the offending word was.

-ALS

That looks like a great idea!

Sigkill
04-22-2011, 11:03 PM
You guys tried the idiotic chat filter once, and now you guys decided to try it again.... You seriously kidding me? Now its up to the degree of auto-banning and auto-muting no offense but this is outrageous, and now you don't even publish a list of the words that can get us in trouble? I've been happy with the PL Devs up till now, other games just filter out curse words and switch them to other words... It's not that hard to filter everyones chat.....

spookytooth
04-22-2011, 11:30 PM
kinda scared to speak now...serious lol

ranonman
04-23-2011, 12:12 AM
Devs, I can understand that you are trying to make a PL safe place for all ages. However, you need to remember that the app of yours has reached many countries. So, there will be varieties of languages being spoken in any types of conversations (may it be public or private). I feel that you are only focusing on English inappropriate terms. Other languages like Spanish and French are still allowed to speak inappropriate terms. Are you willing to go that far to filter every inappropriate term, slang, and unintended words in different languages?

Kalielle
04-23-2011, 06:56 AM
Maybe when I write it, I'm thinking "What the Fudge!"

Nonsense Les, we all know WTF stands for double-you-tee-eff. I predict the original meaning will be completely forgotten over time, as I noticed nobody actually spells out the words anymore even when talking. :D

I wonder now if WTH is on the list then, since I use it all the time and honestly I'm thinking "what the heck" when I'm saying it. I should hope that would be clean enough for the filter. Come to think of it, would I be muted for telling a player to use hell scream on his bear?
I can see how this system can lead to everyone being in constant worry about whether they can say anything.

Could we get a warning for the first violation, like it used to be before? Or maybe a shorter mute, like 30 seconds or something? It seems the automated system would be most useful for getting rid of the players who use bad language repeatedly (like those kids who sit in forest haven and just say inappropriate things over and over again, or some people I've met in PvP who apparently confused PL with Black Ops), and a warning for the first violation would not interfere with that. And it would save a lot of headache and fear for those of us who don't mean to be swearing but use a word with a double meaning, or chat in another language, or get trapped by auto-correct, etc.

Lesrider
04-23-2011, 08:58 AM
Sorry Kallielle, but you kinda just proved my point. They're just three little letters. Just like you're thinking "heck" instead of "hell," my example was perfectly possible.
And that's weird -- do people really speak the three letters in person instead of the words? It takes longer and sounds awkward. I'd lose interest in saying it before "W" left my lips lol.

Ok that was a bit OT. I was pointing out that we already had the discussion with Samhayne about WTF and he said you won't get banned just for using that -- it has to do with the context.

I think that words that are only bad in certain contexts should not cause auto-mutes or auto-bans. Words like "sex" that can often be perfectly innocent, and it depends on how the person uses it. Otherwise, it will be a very quiet game.

Weak_Sauce
04-23-2011, 09:01 AM
Just got muted for saying

"I guess, I want ears. How was nap?"

Umm, what am I missing?

asommers
04-23-2011, 09:18 AM
Just got muted for saying

"I guess, I want ears. How was nap?"

Umm, what am I missing?

You wouldn't be muted for that.

-ALS

asommers
04-23-2011, 09:20 AM
Latest update loosens the mute filter a bit (words are still masked).

http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?24572-1.7.1.1-Content-Update-(57643)

-ALS

F1zzzzp0p
04-25-2011, 05:45 PM
I have come across a word and I used and it muted me but I had no idea what it meant .. I suggest u should
take out some out of ut ban list .. BTY do u guys have a banned list? Cuz I don't wanna get banned for something I don't know... XD
You guys r doing greAt!!!!

Colborne
04-25-2011, 08:02 PM
I think u guys need to give devs a break. They said they are willing to change it to keep u guys happy. Let them know what needs to be changed. Don't just piss and moan about it:)

lilbyrdie
04-26-2011, 02:17 PM
I think u guys need to give devs a break. They said they are willing to change it to keep u guys happy. Let them know what needs to be changed. Don't just piss and moan about it:)

And don't say piss, dammit. :)

It is good advice. But I've seen at least one response implying what people think they're seeing and what the devs think is possible aren't lining up...

Greyhorse
04-26-2011, 03:03 PM
When I first started playing PL, I, being a Battlestar Galactica (reboot) fan, used "Frak!" (a made up swear wotd from the show) to indicate my exasperation the umpteen times Fridge killed me.

Ok? Or not?

MeGaDuMb
04-26-2011, 05:24 PM
I was muted last night for saying "that was a ****ty drop" after we beat a boss in the sewers and no pinks dropped.
The system warned me that repetition might result in a ban or more muting.
Quite ridiculous if you ask me.

I think certain words like this example should result in a text-replace like "poopoo" or "doodoo" or just "****".
Maybe a system message stating "your kind words were not echoed" would have been enough.
I agree though that _some_ words should have a rating or weight attached to them which determines a countermeasure.
Just my 2 cents.

MeGaDuMb
04-26-2011, 05:27 PM
lol !
Even this forum only replaced my original text (see previous message) with "****ty".
I rest my case !

Ayc2000
04-26-2011, 05:37 PM
I typed in" no, it was mega combo" and the underlined letters were censored. I don't know whether I mis typed it or what.

Ellyidol
04-27-2011, 12:20 PM
I'd want to suggest also including special characters as the use of letters in the word blacklist.

Came across some players earlier using characters such as $ and @ to still spell out the names of would-be mutable words.

Snakespeare
04-27-2011, 04:05 PM
I was muted last night for saying "that was a ****ty drop" after we beat a boss in the sewers and no pinks dropped.
The system warned me that repetition might result in a ban or more muting.
Quite ridiculous if you ask me.

I think certain words like this example should result in a text-replace like "poopoo" or "doodoo" or just "****".
Maybe a system message stating "your kind words were not echoed" would have been enough.
I agree though that _some_ words should have a rating or weight attached to them which determines a countermeasure.
Just my 2 cents.

You are incapable of typing "poopy" yourself? Ridiculous...

Lesrider
04-27-2011, 04:15 PM
You are incapable of typing "poopy" yourself? Ridiculous...

"Poop" is censored, too.
I discovered that when I tried to say "I can poop Peeps!"

Zeus
04-27-2011, 06:56 PM
"Poop" is censored, too.
I discovered that when I tried to say "I can poop Peeps!"

No it isn't. It was, then they loosened chat filter.

masterx3
04-28-2011, 02:19 AM
ummhhh i can say this game is so weird, when i play other game its allowed to say bad words.
even when i say damn its sencored. when i say Boner Rabbit it goes to **** *abbit, what is that? i dot even know whats the meaning of it

pennsco1999
04-28-2011, 10:10 AM
From the desk of Bleecker,

I have not read through all of the comments and for this I apologize if my issue has been covered. I am having trouble understanding why someone (me) was muted for saying "coon and friends" referring to a few South Park episodes while playing with mntberrychrunch yet we will allow folks to have screen names such as pktpuzzy and pekkahead. Can anyone answer this for me please?

Thanks,

Bleecker

Dyclonious
04-28-2011, 11:18 AM
To go a little further with what Masterx3 said;

I have noticed when using two words in conjunction with each other, it activates the insta-mute. Here is an example.

"Dyclonious has said the boss always will refresh its buffs before he enters combat."

A harmless sentence, but a mute-able sentence as far as PL is concerned.

"Dyclonious has said the boss always will refresh its buffs before he enters combat."

It has happened to me more than once. Please fix this so that letters coupled with separate words are not combined to form a mute word.

Colborne
05-06-2011, 09:34 PM

I have not read through all of the comments and for this I apologize if my issue has been covered. I am having trouble understanding why someone (me) was muted for saying "coon and friends" referring to a few South Park episodes while playing with mntberrychrunch yet we will allow folks to have screen names such as pktpuzzy and pekkahead. Can anyone answer this for me please?

Thanks,

Bleecker

Hey leave Peckkahead out of this. He's my friends friend. He's a cool guy with a funny name:)

F1zzzzp0p
05-06-2011, 10:57 PM
On the new update it said u can't tell ur real name... (thTs what I think it said)
But it shouldn't be like that cuz u might want them to Ono them or .....

theperfectmuse
05-07-2011, 12:43 PM
I've been muted for saying bugger and i accidentally hit x instead of c when i say sec pretty frequently(they r side by side on the keyboard). Most of the time I'm n a rush typing in the middle of a fight and a full touchscreen gets a lil off when i'm in a hurry. I'm not that big of a fan of a full mute happening to me all the time. I never curse or use foul language on purpose as i like to be respectful and i understand that these small ears hear big things. But, i just think its a little excessive for a slip up. I prefer the old method

Rusalio
05-07-2011, 01:16 PM
Hmmmm interesting... I told some peeps the other day "Just a sec" and it came back as "Just a sex" and muted me.....Really, Cmon. Everyone was wondering why I was ignoring them and it was hosted by ME!!!!! Have an icon indicating the person is muted or indicate xxxxxx has been muted. so I say there with the emoticon crying for the next 5 while everyone ran around spamming me with questions I couldn't answer.

Mind you it was the ipad auto correct. For those peeps out there that are quick to fly off, If you have to type it, I don't swear, so no it wasn't related to any other comments. TY

Piosidon
05-07-2011, 11:11 PM
Please ban for asking "Are you a girl?" I'm so tired of that, i instantly un-friend anyone that says that. It's annoying when people almost always assume elves are girls

Faryia
05-09-2011, 01:12 PM
Whatever the list is sucks..the words that cause muting aren't even words that are considered back..

I said "we should (snatch) the flag" and BAM! muted for the word snatch

other words like prick and minge? really? why not make it words like these..

B*t*h
S**t
P***y
Noob
Slut
etc...

you get my point?

make it words that are actually made to hurt someone elses feelings..if not, then take the darn auto muting off for words that arent even offensive.

csb
05-09-2011, 07:16 PM
I guess the idea is to automate this so that it is not too expensive. If support is expensive, then we will have to pay for it one way or another.

I was playing last Sunday, checking the market for an item that I wanted, and got a creepy tell:

offensivename> I want to kiss you, u want to kiss me?
me> go away loser
offensivename> Your loss, you could've had a g/f

In everquest we had a "/report" command that would copy the most recent block of text displayed in the window. I suppose if some volunteer would handle such reports, then they could get some special items for service. I would think the above text would qualify for a permanent ban. It's pretty easy to see the difference between accidental or careless inappropriate words, and someone that should not be in the game.

Dartagnian
05-10-2011, 10:08 PM
I guess the idea is to automate this so that it is not too expensive. If support is expensive, then we will have to pay for it one way or another.

I was playing last Sunday, checking the market for an item that I wanted, and got a creepy tell:

offensivename> I want to kiss you, u want to kiss me?
me> go away loser
offensivename> Your loss, you could've had a g/f

In everquest we had a "/report" command that would copy the most recent block of text displayed in the window. I suppose if some volunteer would handle such reports, then they could get some special items for service. I would think the above text would qualify for a permanent ban. It's pretty easy to see the difference between accidental or careless inappropriate words, and someone that should not be in the game.

When you use the "report" button it sends a small text log to the admins. Only trouble is, you can't look someone up if they're in Balefort and you're in a mission while that gem of a conversation is happening. I'd attempt to hunt em down for that creepiness though.

(hail fellow EQ vet. :cool:)

csb
05-11-2011, 01:55 AM
I have an idea for cleaning up the chat. Currently it is too easy for someone that likes to cause grief to enter the game free and spout whatever comments they think are most offensive. Suppose you make it difficult enough that it's not worth someones time to pop in with a new character in a free game just to cause trouble. Just add a few hurdles so that maybe someone would do it once, but the effort is not worth a repeat performance.

Here are some ideas for improving chat:

* A new character cannot send chat or add friends until at least level 5

* For a new character in a new account, the first four levels can be training levels. Don't allow the character to go anywhere out of the training zone until they reach level 5. Make the levels fun and interesting, but more time consuming that the current first 4 levels. The training levels can only be skipped if there are already higher level characters on the account. In this way it's not so easy to jump into a town with a new account.

* After level 5 the character must pay gold or platinum to enable the consignment store, friend invites, and chat. Maybe it can be called a city tax, or perhaps it can be a payment to an npc "tour guide" showing your new character to the city.

* A new character cannot send chat until 48 hours has passed from the time it was created. Maybe the "tour guide" doesn't show up until after 48 hours.

* If 5 or more people put someone on ignore in a short period of time, that person is muted for an hour

* There can be an alternative town with consignment store access. At least one character over level 30 on the account must enter the town to enable it for all account characters. This would allow everyone to hang out in market with people that have some playing experience. (maybe less beggers?)

* Make a /report command to send the text in the chat window for review. Give item rewards to the players with the largest number of valid reports as an incentive to keep the chat clean.

azulflame
05-15-2011, 12:37 PM
ummhhh i can say this game is so weird, when i play other game its allowed to say bad words.
even when i say damn its sencored. when i say Boner Rabbit it goes to **** *abbit, what is that? i dot even know whats the meaning of it

Now how do I put this? I will let the next guy do it. Not gonna risk the infraction

Pandamoni
05-15-2011, 11:05 PM
I got muted for turd. I think turd is less offensive than crap.

Sigkill
05-15-2011, 11:38 PM
I got muted for turd. I think turd is less offensive than crap.

yea..... i got muted for turd

csb
05-16-2011, 11:30 AM
I got censored for "rmk until we get pink". It became "rm* ***il we get pink". hehe

Swimmingstar
05-17-2011, 04:45 PM
I say selling bone rabbit ears! and it turns into this selling **** *abbit ears!

Bleuu
05-17-2011, 05:59 PM
I work in software as a UX professional. I think that the OBVIOUS words (fbomb, etc.) could go on the insta-mute list but it borders on ridiculous, big-brotherish and I don't see much inappropriateness going on regardless - was this a huge problem at some point?

I got muted for "douche" which um... Is regularly seen in commercials and is most certainly not a swear word.

Oh and why did I say that word? Some guy was on the chat: "Burn the Jews! HAHAHA IM SO FUNNY"

But I got muted. Awesome system. Working just the way you planned.

Riccits
05-18-2011, 01:32 AM
i sayd: 'we can kill "cock" roach now' when we farmed lvl 51 at roach motel.... got a purple, mates gratulated me, but i coudnt answer lol..

bronislav84
05-18-2011, 11:23 PM
Sorry, not reading 13 pages. Has the list been made available somehow yet? Seriously some words on that list could be things some people don't take as bad, and wouldn't know until it is too late. How are we supposed to avoid using these words if we don't actually know which words are and which ones aren't on the list?

Also can somebody please explain the point of being allowed to turn off the censor after this update went up? If we're gonna be muted/banned for inappropriate language anyway, what exactly is the point of unchecking that checkbox anymore?

Third, if I do check the box to have filter on, say those words, and get censored, would I still get muted or does the mute system only mute if the word would have actually been visible otherwise? Just wondering if it's possible to actually save yourself from mutes by enabling it now. This would be the only use I could think of otherwise.

Weak_Sauce
06-01-2011, 01:17 PM
If the words can be said on basic cable we should be able to say them here. Another banned word is boob, so don't use booby-trap!

Weak_Sauce
06-01-2011, 01:22 PM

Thanks,

Bleecker

Leave Peck alone. She's awesome!

Piosidon
06-01-2011, 09:09 PM
What if we say something on accident, example I meant to say "DEX"but u know the other word I accidentally said this is gonna make me nervous when I'm typing.

Haha same thing happened to me but luckly I caught it

kinawarrior
06-07-2011, 12:12 AM
Terrible idea.

Free speech
Auto correct errors
Having pl devs decide the words
Multiple meaning words, especially since this an international game. Word fag means cigarette in England I believe, but is a racist term in the states. Word gay is racist, but also means happy, and is used often in England. Bitch is a female dog. I can guarantee they will be in the list.
What two consenting adults say to o e each other in the privacy of a tell is their own business, if it's offensive, then report them. If you don't want kids to see it, then don't give the option to turn off chat filter, or do t let your kids play the game.

I agree that the words shouldn't be said, but I think the way they want to do it is entirely wrong a d plain lazy. You can't write a few lines of code to do human I tuition of a situation for you, I don't believe we are that technologically advanced yet. Suck it up and work each case as they come in, and read the logs as they are reported.

romgar1
06-09-2011, 02:40 PM
Somebody is mad

kinawarrior
06-09-2011, 03:38 PM
Not mad, just frustrated that they would do something like this. The game is great, and everything they do rocks; however, it is my perception (and only my opinion) that they didn't anticipate the success they are experiencing, so instead of hiring more customer service reps, they had the dev's write some code to the the rep's job for them. Brilliant idea, fantastic programming idea, just terrible application of it. I do a lot of developing for my employment, so I know how easy it is to do what they have done. However, I also know how easy it is to fix some of the flaws. Spaces in the word for example is a very easy fix...I don't know the language used, but pseudocode would be something like this:

function CheckForEmptySpace(strMutableWord)
intCharacterCount = len(strMutableWord) (get character count form the mutable word found where mutable word is the actual word that was typed)
for i = 0 to intCharacterCount
if left(intCharacterCount,i) = " " then (if the character is a space then)
skip mute
else
do mute or track mutable word with sql instert statement or whatever they do for a backend database
end if
next
end function

call that baby each time and it should resolve the space problem. But, maybe it's already fixed, maybe it's a language that doesn't have those options, I don't know.

Think of it as this. When you are in a privately invited chat forum, or on a private email chain with other people, you shouldn't have to worry about what you say or do or offending anyone else, because no one else can see what you are saying.

But, now, instead of having those accidental typos happen adn the person saying sorry for accidentally typing it, they get muted. And, you better believe they will be tracking how many mutes you have, and if there is any dispute on your account, it's like having a criminal record.

This doesn't affect me in any way, as I generally don't chat to anyone while playing or say anything, but I know how it can be to others.

I don't know foreign languages, but I'm 99.9% positive there will be spellins in their language that will spell out a mutable word, when in their language, it will mean something like "food", should we mute someone for saying "food"?

Again, brilliant idea, but not good execution.

What they should do is take their existing code and instead of doing a mute, they should track how many times said person says offensive words (according to their database), and when they hit 5 or so in a week or however long of a period of time they decide, then they should have a person look at the logs (they should actually track the previous 3 lines of conversation, the line of conversation with the text, and the next three lines of conversation) to see if it was a typo, a split up word, foreign language, or any other reason to not be an offense. If, however, they show up as being a crude person, then they take appropriate actions. Problem here is you need to learn all foreign languages. And, for that matter, are they muting, for example, Italian language curse words? Or Chinese, Vietnamese, French, etc? If they aren', then why not? What about Klingon (sp), and Naveed (sp)? Just too many variables.

What is next? filtering WTF? we all know what that stands for.

Bludd
06-17-2011, 12:17 AM
Thank you sts for giving me incentive to quit your money guzzling game :) cheers and good luck to you all.

Nightarcher
06-17-2011, 02:43 AM
@ kinawarrior

This is STS's game and it is meant to be a fun, mobile, clean game with you can delve into whenever, and wherever.

I get what you're attempting to make a point with, but the vast majority of people who play Pocket Legends speak English, and all the text in-game is in English. Therefore, it can be safe to assume that everyone who plays Pocket Legends has at least a basic knowlegde of the language. Not to mention the fact that the developers also, in fact, speak English. Anyone would say that if you're attempting to make a game which is fun and addicting, but also appropriate for all ages, censoring curse-words custom to the English language is the most logical path to take.

If you want to swear or carry out adult converstion, do that elsewhere. I'm not judging anyone for it, but it should be common sense as to where it's inappropriate. Read the Terms of Service if you would like. Just try to keep everyone's best interests in mind when thinking about posting :)

JaytB
06-17-2011, 04:16 AM
I don't know foreign languages, but I'm 99.9% positive there will be spellins in their language that will spell out a mutable word, when in their language, it will mean something like "food", should we mute someone for saying "food"?

I was muted several times when typing Dutch. I contacted support and they promptly removed the offending word from their chat filter :)

kinawarrior
06-17-2011, 07:47 AM
@ kinawarrior

This is STS's game and it is meant to be a fun, mobile, clean game with you can delve into whenever, and wherever.

I get what you're attempting to make a point with, but the vast majority of people who play Pocket Legends speak English, and all the text in-game is in English. Therefore, it can be safe to assume that everyone who plays Pocket Legends has at least a basic knowlegde of the language. Not to mention the fact that the developers also, in fact, speak English. Anyone would say that if you're attempting to make a game which is fun and addicting, but also appropriate for all ages, censoring curse-words custom to the English language is the most logical path to take.

If you want to swear or carry out adult converstion, do that elsewhere. I'm not judging anyone for it, but it should be common sense as to where it's inappropriate. Read the Terms of Service if you would like. Just try to keep everyone's best interests in mind when thinking about posting :)

In total agreement with everything said here. However, it's just as easy to have their chat filter not display the words on the screen then muting / banning them.

I mentioned before that I might say, maybe, two words per session of gaming. Well now I say none because I dont' know what I can and can't say. I have a feeling that a lot of the words I woudl say (stuff you see on national television) would be muted (I'm not a sailer and don't curse hardly at all, but I do say those words on TV that everyone has full access to). So, I'm sure this is just a rare case, but this filtering has prohibited me from chatting with anyone on the game, and I'm sure a couple others feel the same way, but again, it is probably just that, a couple.

Brilliant idea, bad execution...that's all I can say. Just tweak it a bit and it will be awesome.

kinawarrior
06-17-2011, 07:48 AM
I was muted several times when typing Dutch. I contacted support and they promptly removed the offending word from their chat filter :)

It's good to know they fix it fast, but how they know to mute it in english and not mute it in dutch is beyond my skill set as a developer, unless they do a region based thing on where you are playing :)

kallima
06-17-2011, 07:59 AM

DUH! WTF means what the face!? *handing you a piece of orbitz gum* ;)

kinawarrior
06-17-2011, 08:04 AM
DUH! WTF means what the face!? *handing you a piece of orbitz gum* ;)

Dirty mouth? Clean it up!

kallima
06-17-2011, 08:08 AM
Dirty mouth? Clean it up!

If only Orbitz made something for my mind!

CowboyJim
06-17-2011, 04:54 PM
well, I'm not a programmer. I just like to play the game, I enjoy it a lot more when people aren't using offensive language.....Nuff said!!

kurl
06-19-2011, 06:14 PM
i dont really like this cause i said damn 4 times and got muted each time. thats 20 minutes in total its not that cool.

Buubuuftw
06-22-2011, 10:33 PM
I've been muted for mispelling the word sec (as in second) like twice! I mean just look at how close the C is to X! Also what if we are reffering to an item or enemy or skill such as the Bastard Sword of Legend or Hell Scream?

Buster
06-24-2011, 06:42 PM
well they dont block the h*** (i dont cuse) scream and I dont know about the sword because I told a newb about wat abilities he would get and I told him about every ability

nmyxspaceship
06-24-2011, 07:50 PM
Yeah I think this is great although it can be anoying on iphone sometimes due to auto correct.

Engelhard
06-24-2011, 08:06 PM
I think it would be a good idea if when you try to send something that is not tolerated it asks you are you sure you want to send this.....while in game i am always in a hurry while typing and on two seperate occasions i typed in a sec and hit enter before i noticed it was autocorrected to a word i would never never use in game $ex my kids play this game too and i am not ever trying to use bad words. But i was automuted twice for this and i was glad bcuz i would rather be muted than the message get to them incorrectly. I just hope an honest mistake like this will not lead to someone getting perma ban. I am more careful now and this hasnt happend to me since filter first came out but i hope another word dont do the same thing to me later and cause me to not be able to enjoy this game with my kiddos..........................Thank yall for all yall do to keep this game safe and enjoyable for my whole family

jjjjaaaakkkke
06-25-2011, 12:12 AM
Add as* to that list.

elianel
06-25-2011, 12:48 AM
i'm scare with this because i some time left my phone at work or in the house with the password on but what happen if someone try to make a joke and write some bad words omg i will be crazy if i get banned lol........................not but i try to be cool with everybody and i have a lot friend i love this game

Buster
06-25-2011, 08:20 AM
Well, the optimus doesnt have auto correct :p But I dislike those people who just cuse their heads off for no reason

Magecreater
06-25-2011, 10:31 PM
Some pol use auto correct for iPhones and iPods and the auto correct may correct a word off the game into a bad word... It happened to me twice already.

ZeraJade
07-01-2011, 10:20 AM
After actually reading all previous posts, and even though it is originally nearly 3 months olds, people are still replying.

I have been muted a few times and once or twice I was clueless. So then I had to go and look up the word. Ta da! New foul word learned.

Nonetheless the automute is a great feature despite there always being ways around it.

People have suggested tons of ways to handle language issues and ways to make allowances: it is way less complicated to just automute with warning than to try and implement various allowances.

My only minor issue is I wish there was an autoreply to tells notifying the person they are trying to message are currently muted. But then again it's only 5 minutes and if they see me tossing emotes around like a mad woman they tend to figure it out. (I've been muted emote pack? Ha!)

JaytB
07-01-2011, 10:28 AM
I've been muted emote pack? Ha!

+1 on the emote pack :D

Would be great to let ppl think you're muted when you don't feel like talking LOL

Weak_Sauce
07-01-2011, 10:56 AM
Think of it as this. When you are in a privately invited chat forum, or on a private email chain with other people, you shouldn't have to worry about what you say or do or offending anyone else, because no one else can see what you are saying.

But, now, instead of having those accidental typos happen adn the person saying sorry for accidentally typing it, they get muted. And, you better believe they will be tracking how many mutes you have, and if there is any dispute on your account, it's like having a criminal record.

I don't know foreign languages, but I'm 99.9% positive there will be spellins in their language that will spell out a mutable word, when in their language, it will mean something like "food", should we mute someone for saying food?

What they should do is take their existing code and instead of doing a mute, they should track how many times said person says offensive words (according to their database), and when they hit 5 or so in a week or however long of a period of time they decide, then they should have a person look at the logs (they should actually track the previous 3 lines of conversation, the line of conversation with the text, and the next three lines of conversation) to see if it was a typo, a split up word, foreign language, or any other reason to not be an offense. If, however, they show up as being a crude person, then they take appropriate actions. Problem here is you need to learn all foreign languages. And, for that matter, are they muting, for example, Italian language curse words? Or Chinese, Vietnamese, French, etc? If they aren', then why not? What about Klingon (sp), and Naveed (sp)? Just too many variables.

I couldn't agree more... and I still stand by my statement saying, if the word can be said on basic cable, it can be used on pocket legends.

Weak_Sauce
07-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Skyler84, I'm not sure if your question was rhetorical or not, but in America, "Jap" has racist connotations. I don't think it's as bad as other racist words we've invented, but still. Although Japanese-American sure is hard to type on an iPhone. ;)

J.A.P.- Jewish American princess ... a whole other use for the word which isn't offensive (I'm Jewish and I don't care)

Pharcyde
07-02-2011, 02:25 AM
I have been muted 3 times. One time I slipped and said a naughty word (I was very surprised and it slipped.. on a keyboard :rolleyes:). The other two times were total accidents. I'm just glad that there isn't a tolerance system, were like each mute adds an extra 5 minutes. Because players would be unfairly muted for typo's.

I do like the idea of muted emote packs. I usually do the point emote at the person talking to me, then continually use the cry emote. Eventually, they figure it out.

J.A.P.- Jewish American princess ... a whole other use for the word which isn't offensive (I'm Jewish and I don't care)

I know a girl who is nicknamed J.A.P.

Yeah you gotta be careful with that one. It can be taken badly on both sides.

LADYHADASSA
07-02-2011, 06:12 AM
I find a suprise when i type a sentance that gets * placed in it... Suddenley my brain has to search for why the auto mute of letters is used, i have not been silanced but realized that some american sentances when spoken the last letters of one word and the begininning of the next swear in spanish.. At times the stars can teach more words unknkwn to the player if they figure out the puzzle.

LADYHADASSA
07-02-2011, 06:14 AM
Pharcyde,
Thanks for the morning laugh i love your " accidental on keyboard" slipp... Lol lol ... :)

Pvpdexbear
07-09-2011, 09:10 PM
We are working on the finishing touches of our new word filtering system to be released in a future content update.

1) If a player says any one of the words on our insta-ban list, their account and device will be permanently banned. Most of these words should not be said for any reason in any of Spacetime Studios' products and include hate speech terms, sex chat terms, etc.

2) If a player says any one of the words on our insta-mute list, and they will be muted for 5 minutes. Subsequent mutings will then be counted and can result in progressively longer game bans. For example, say <bad_word>, get muted. Say <bad_word> again, get muted again. Say <bad_word> again, get banned for 1 day. Say <bad_word> again, get banned for 3 days. Say <bad_word> again, get banned for 7 days, etc. <bad_word> can be any word in our mute list.

-ALS finally now people that anooys me will get muted or even banned

lethalchick
07-10-2011, 05:39 PM
When I get muted I log out and use an unregistered account, then use the /t function to tell them who I am, and that I got muted. An auto "muted" reply or mute pack would be still be handy though.

Oh and same here, whenever I need to say "give me a sec" it's because I'm in a rush so it always turns out the wrong way and gets me muted.

WoundedEagle
07-10-2011, 05:45 PM
Why is this a big discussion? It is simple to me, if you say something you know is wrong, Accident or not, you are going to get muted. If you mean to not cuss, and auto-correct makes you say something on accident, then turn auto-correct off under keyboard settings.

cjackyo
07-10-2011, 06:06 PM
So is there any way we can have the list of "what not to say" posted here in big bright colors plz.................lol

Phoenixking
07-10-2011, 06:10 PM
Why is this a big discussion? It is simple to me, if you say something you know is wrong, Accident or not, you are going to get muted. If you mean to not cuss, and auto-correct makes you say something on accident, then turn auto-correct off under keyboard settings.Lol but what if there also accidently typed the word wrong x and c are pretty close and its not a post you cant edit it

WoundedEagle
07-10-2011, 06:22 PM
Then if they meant to say 'Wait a Sec(with fail text on sec)' or 'Give me just a few sec(with fail text on sec)' Then they can send an email to the developers at support(at)spacetimestudios.com replacing the (at) with @. And the devs can trace back to the text, and check if it was just a misunderstanding or on purpose.

WoundedEagle
07-10-2011, 06:24 PM
So is there any way we can have the list of "what not to say" posted here in big bright colors plz.................lol
I think you know what not to say.

Mothwing
07-11-2011, 02:33 AM
My suggestions: either make the announcement public, or to indicate to ur friends make some sort of signal that ur muted. Thats what i did. I use the sob emote time after time till my friend says oh ur muted, thrn i use the celebrate emote :)

Vorado
07-11-2011, 09:02 AM
Stalinesque autobanning.... Good idea? Everything should have a human eye on it, computers simply cannot think for themselves enough to distinguish accidents from intention. On top of that, a 10 year old won't have a heart attack from hearing a "swear" word. Good god, I hate what society has done to us. What about adult friends (myself included) who use "bad" words in private speech frequently, but harmlessly, often in real world speech? Can we use open language in private tells?

I don't think teaching our children that bad words get you the harshest punishment possible on your first, possibly accidental offense is a good thing.

Just my 2 cents

WoundedEagle
07-11-2011, 01:45 PM
The exact point, Kids play Pocket Legends. What do you say around kids. In the event you had a child would you really like them start using a cuss word from a MMORPG? Then they wouldn't be aloud to Play PL anymore which is far from what we need. Computers are smart, smater then their creators. Auto-Banning is only used when words that should never be said are used. Use your imagination.

RioMage
07-26-2011, 03:18 PM
There should be a command to see all of blocked words so people can work around the system..xD
Im jk, but seriousy..some words that we use in our every day lives are banned on pocket legends or a combination of words that go together and parts of the sentences are blocked out for a reason idk. Its getting people muted for a not good enough reason. I see nothing wrong with the auto-mute, auto-bann thing but its kind of unreasonable in some ways.

thefirehawk
07-28-2011, 04:16 PM
is there any way that the auto correct can be canclled becuase on some words the auto turns it into a bad word i forget which words exactly but it is still a pain

fallen0888
08-27-2011, 07:06 PM
im not saying let peope say whatever but there are a lot of fu grown peope that pay this game and i dont think we should be banned if something slips i think there should be a setting like in world of warcraft.

-ALS

gotrocks420
08-28-2011, 03:07 PM
I'd just like to point out - go to any 6th grade elementary school class and half the kids there say raunchier things than i say to my wife behind closed doors, the other half have heard these words countless times on TV. What "innocence" are we trying to protect here?

That being said, I do understand the need for some kind of chat filter, but there are many words that arent bad when used in the proper context. When my son was born the doctor exclaimed to me 'Its sex is male!' Is 'sex' a naughty word used this way? No. His soul was damned for eternity - also used in books and movies read/seen by all ages (check the bible). Even words like *** have their uses (for hundreds of years, this was the proper way to describe a male donkey). Obviously this list could go on - the b word describing a female dog in heat, etc etc.
Now, THAT being said, I agree that these words do in fact need to be filtered. The other night some guy wanted to buy my axe and when i told him no, he droppes the f bomb on me (abbreviating it as 'F U') and proceeded to tell me what a bad person i was (but in a not so kind way). This kind of thing is a minor annoyance, but still an annoyance (though it was fun kindly explaining to him how silly it was to blow up over such a stupid circumstance). This can really be taken to the extreme, ive played mmo's where players drop the n-bomb more than my racist confederate uncle in law. That kind of thing does need to be stopped, but instead of doing insta-mute or insta-ban, simply reject the whole message and inform the player xxxxx word is innapropriate, and warn them if the behavior continues a mute will be instated. This will clean up chat permanently, and also let people know where they are making mistakes without enacting fiery hand of god seal your lips vengeance upon players who simply screwed up. Also, private passworded games should NOt have any chat filter whatsoever. Id like to be able to speak like an adult with my adult friends. Sometimes after a nasty wipe 'dangit' just doesnt satisfy like the 'swear word' alternative (this is something i KNOW many people agree with).

I really hope this post came out in a coherent fashion, and makes an impact on the devs perception of how this should be implemented. To be honest i was trying to hold a conversation with someone *gasp* IRL while i was writing it, so i hope i didnt miss any points and/or offend anyone.

KTpantyhose
08-28-2011, 05:35 PM
I have a problem with this. i can say something that is not sexually related or is a "swear" word and it'll still put the *'s what happens if some one write something... (just for an example sometimes i'll write the word it's and it puts the *'s).. anyways what if someone writes something like that and it bans them for just using a simple word that has nothing bad about it.

Wilddar
08-28-2011, 10:04 PM
I am wondering,

sometimes I write a sentence that's perfectly clean, but some of the words are blocked out. Will this result in a mute, or ban?

Ellyidol
08-28-2011, 10:06 PM
I am wondering,

sometimes I write a sentence that's perfectly clean, but some of the words are blocked out. Will this result in a mute, or ban?

I think if it's an unintended word due to connection of two words, it just blocks it out.

When you say the word outright, I think thats when it mutes.

After a few mutes, then a ban.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, I've only been muted intentionally twice :D

Navygreen
08-29-2011, 06:30 AM
Why are people asking for the list of words? I think you all should know what you should and shouldn't say. Lol..

Bunnyshoota
08-29-2011, 03:43 PM
gotrocks:
gratz on your first post
the best way to start out on the forums is rambling on about bad words:)

gotrocks420
08-29-2011, 08:21 PM
absolutely =)
Always a good way to pass the time on your day off

Wilddar
08-29-2011, 09:03 PM
I agree with all of you, you all have valid points. In my opinion why curse? There really is no point? Sure it makes you look more mature, or maybe it even makes you fit in, but I'm gonna tell you this cursing does not make you "the cool kid" and it certantly doesn't make you fit in. Sure you can disagree with me, or you can curse me out yourself. I am just stating a opinion. Think of it like this, do we want the future of pocket legends, to be great? Do we want the reputation of pocket legends to be known to many parents of children, to be "innapropiate", because in order to make this game enjoyable for everyone I guess is just follow the rules, and have fun! :)

gotrocks420
08-31-2011, 04:34 AM
Six Years contract -Future is Vick

Vick, 31, becomes second in salary among NFL (http://www.wealthmass.com/Sports-outdoors/Nfl-jerseys-Football-jersey-Jerseys-Wholesale/San-Diego-Charger-Nfl-Jerseys/) , Only Lower than New England Patriots (http://www.wealthmass.com/Sports-outdoors/Nfl-jerseys-Football-jersey-Jerseys-Wholesale/New-England-Patriots-Nfl-Jerseys/)' Tom Brady (18 million a year)&nbsp;among NFL quarterbacks. His deal averages about $16.67 million per year. The news was announced last night by Andrew Brandt of the National Football Post, who has worked for the Philadelphia Eagles (http://www.wealthmass.com/Sports-outdoors/Nfl-jerseys-Football-jersey-Jerseys-Wholesale/Philadelphia-Eagles-Nfl-Jerseys/) in the past as a contract negotiator.

The team then announced they had come to agreement on a six-year deal.The Eagles finished this evening their most pressing bit of contract-related business before the start of the 2011 NFL season -- they agreed to a six-year contract , $100 million contract with quarterback Michael Vick, which will lower his cap number this year from $16 million to about $14.4 million, a league source confirmed.

It might be worth noting that&nbsp;since the Eagles now definitely won't be franchising with Vick again, they will have that tag available if they need&nbsp;to use it&nbsp;on wideout DeSean Jackson, whose contract expires this season. The Eagles and Jackson have been discussing a new deal, but they are not believed to be close to agreement.
Philadelphia Eagles had franchised Vick this season for $16 million, but he would have become an free player after the season, unless they reached agreement on a long-term deal then, or franchised him again. Had the Eagles and Vick not reached a contract by Sept. 20, they would have had to wait until after the season to talk.

Rumors that a Vick deal was close have circulated for about a week, but Eagles sources and sources close to Vick would not comment.

Eagles coach Andy Reid told the Daily News today when&nbsp;asked about any possible qualms concerning Vick. "He's worked very hard this training camp,"The question was asked before news of the deal broke.

when asked about staking his future on Vick. Reid said,"I have Belived in him. I know Michael vicks’ a good football player,"

Michael Vick (http://www.wealthmass.com/sale/Philadelphia-Eagles--7-Michael-Vick-Dark-Green-Nfl-jerseys-2997.html) joined the Eagles in 2009, fresh from a federal prison term for dogfighting, having declared bankruptcy. It will be interesting to see if his contract contains any clauses beyond the norm relating to personal conduct.
&nbsp;

wtf?

Cahaun
09-04-2011, 12:03 PM
Lol that happened to me once except it did go through! I was soooooooooooo embarased. ;)

Shellkaz
09-04-2011, 02:34 PM
I think that an effective resource to use would be to have moderators. My step-daughter plays an auto racing game (please don't ask me which one. I don't knowLOL). But it works. The players like to see mods in the room when things are not right in her case it was someone cheating. But it works, thats the important thing

Moderators have a special mod login and can go any place in the game but not affect the outcome nor can they play. Mods can monitor a situation and can simply state that the behavior/language is not acceptable and institute a temporary ban/mute if it persists. A mod could also be called into an area to check things out, But if you get folks to volunteer for the position and maybe give them some kind of perk, maybe plat or gold for each hour served as mod. This way when a mod playing he /she is just that another player. Some times there is no substitute for a real live thinking person..

blueberrykush
09-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Seriously automute is purely BS. I get muted for saying things that aren't even bad :( does sts review these mutes or would that only happen if a ban was to occur

Cytokinesis
09-06-2011, 12:10 PM
Seriously automute is purely BS. I get muted for saying things that aren't even bad :( does sts review these mutes or would that only happen if a ban was to occur
auto mute is not "BS" its "BS" that u speak rudely IG and i think STS only reviews bans if u email them

blueberrykush
09-06-2011, 12:11 PM
Also im pretty sure if people find what is said offensive regardless of vulgar use there is a REPORT option if the players do not like it some of us are not little 13 year olds and should be able to speak freely

Redbridge
09-06-2011, 12:18 PM

Auto-mute is, by it's very nature, an automated system, and these automated system are never fully 100%. If you think there are any examples which may be wrong and might improve the system then just send them an email with the details. I sure they'll be glad of the feedback.

Also im pretty sure if people find what is said offensive regardless of vulgar use there is a REPORT option if the players do not like it some of us are not little 13 year olds and should be able to speak freely

But the whole point of an automated system is it's automatic. Having an automatic system drastically reduces the costs, which in turn allows them to keep the main content of the game free, as there isn't a need to have staff answering and investigating as many emails/reports. Also keeps the game cool for everyone, even the one's with no restraint. What would you prefer? An expensive game where you can cuss or a free one with automated systems? Search the web and you'll find plenty of examples of paid for games where you can cuss til the cows come home. Enjoy.

Pink-O-Mat
09-06-2011, 01:52 PM
will this also happen if for instance someone says: " It helps experience gaining" bad example but till now it would have been " It help* **perience gaining" cause that would suck if you would get muted for that :S

Actona679
09-06-2011, 07:20 PM
I have a real problem with the word "sex" being on the list. You've got a bunch of kids in PL that go around KILLING everything in sight, typing every variation on the eff word they can come up with, and you are worried about them using a three letter word for a completely natural act that they are all gonna do eventually??

I am obviously getting old because my imagination can't come up with the context on how this word can be so badly used. Maybe someone can enlighten me cuz either old age or a too liberal outlook is really making me intolerant of this mute system :-/

Also, have to confess, I am tired for being muted after typing "one sec" and missing the last letter.

McBain
09-07-2011, 06:01 AM
I've gotten auto-muted twice recently, and I'm not even sure what it was I said. Kind of a bummer when you're right in the middle of a run and realize you can't reply to anyone on in your team. I'm all for not swearing, but I think the system needs to be a little more choosy on what it considers a bad word. As far as I'm concerned, it should just be basically the "7 words" (George Carlin reference) and that's about it. At a certain point, words are just words. At the very least, attempting to make connections between the letters of different words is just silly. I'd bet that method of filtering only blocks anything intended to be bad maybe 0.00001 percent of the time. If you can't even say something like "push it," I think you've gone a little too fair. Nobody is that sensitive.

Azamaster
09-10-2011, 05:50 PM
I think the spellcheck on my iPhone is what's scary, since when I was trying to get a bow I said "trading str items for dex". You can probably guess what happened.

TheGoACake
09-14-2011, 09:46 PM
I got muted for 5 mins. Without saying anything when I barely logged in to forest haven and I tried messaging my friend and it said I had been muted for 5 mins. What can I do to remove this from my account?

Misdemeanour
09-16-2011, 02:44 AM
I have to agree with many on this thread so I'm not going to add a whole pile of quotes. There is not much more to say than:

You might actually lose a lot of players if 'big brother' starts banning people for one slip up or something completely harmless.

My language is not foul by any means but I have been pulled up for relatively harmless humour and had stars show up in text because the space button is not recognized.

I predict that any time that STS saves on reviewing complaints and reports made for inappropriate text will now be spent reviewing appeals on permabans. :(

If I get banned and feel it was not justified I'd definitely appeal, but if it happens again I might consider whether it's worth the hassle. it takes time to contact and receive a reply from support so I strongly agree karmakali - I dont' want to waste my time trying to get back on a game if I feel I didn't deserve to be banned in the first place.

Why not just mute people? it seems to be keeping the airways clean.

Snub
09-21-2011, 04:01 PM
Any Auto ban is wrong.

You already have a chat filter, add all the words to it and auto enable the filter for everyone, I believe PL already does this. If i choose to mute someone I can, and I have. (I think i have 4-6 now muted).

I can appreciate the efforts to make the game "clean fun" but at the same time at what cost are you willing to achieve this "clean fun".
If someone can't read a word the begins with "F" perhaps mom & dad should not allow them to have a Iphone/Android. When did raising the kids become the responsibility of Spacetime Studios?

Zerious
09-21-2011, 11:18 PM
i only have a problem with auto-mutes when my ipod has a blonde moment and auto-corrects to something to get me muted. Being a twinkologist, and constantly giving help with builds, i tend to say "dex" a lot. Well it auto corrects to "sex" which is on the list... I can understand stuff like the f word and "female dog" and it-shay, because ipods wouldn't auto-correct to it...

I've had one occasion where it auto-corrected the nickname for Richard (the D word), but i don't think that word needs to be allowed. But sex shouldn't be a biggie.

Xhopx
09-26-2011, 11:54 PM
I think it should be like IMO. Where if you say something bad, it just won't even show it. Only YOU will see it

Fairy
09-27-2011, 03:07 AM
I got muted many times for saying anything bad. If the devs would fix that everything is ok. :strawberry:

Fallen_Chisk_Angels
10-10-2011, 08:03 PM
well how many warnings or mutes do we have until we get banned? and yes i admit i got muted a few times :/

Aratreoybae
10-10-2011, 08:37 PM
I am concerned about the instabanned list what if I say a word on accident? My account is gone? That whould suk!

Diaxos
10-19-2011, 12:52 PM
Hmm, will noob be on this list?:o

But seriously, it's a great idea, I just hope it works well. Will save the devs a lot of time, I'm just worried it'll be like the other filter where you can't say "spoon" or anything. We will get a list, right?:)

Why would they say you can't say noob or spoon? I AM a noobie. I just got this game a while ago but I'm still learning. I don't get how spoon would be a bad word??

Mastercon
10-21-2011, 04:50 PM
i like this idea alot, but what happens if someone accidently types it in? for example if they type in "sec" really fast, then they may accidently replace the "c" with a "x" due to their rushing. This idea is good... but it may be risky, becuase u could get banned for nothing...

NYCFanMan
10-21-2011, 05:07 PM
Cool cant wait

Appleisaac
10-25-2011, 03:56 PM
I think that people who curse on this game ALWAYS use abriviations... the only time that someone would use an unabreviated curse here is when it is an accident (either that or they are need to learn how to deal with their anger by playing with a yoyo or a stress doll or something)... and those people are the only ones being banned/muted. i say that u should be muted (if not banned) for saying f*** leaving out the u... i dont know how many times i have seen tht... also as someone said a long while back its stupid that people are being banned/muted for saying curses when other people have that kind of stuff in their names! lol what is this world coming to?

p.s. this is not an angry post this is a post of advice lol :D

casimir55
10-26-2011, 02:00 AM
My phone has auto spell and mutes me often anyone else have this problem

Fusionstrike
10-31-2011, 01:44 AM
I think item 1 is a terrible idea. One instance of an "insta-ban" word, intentional or not, and they're gone forever? I can see having some kind of auto mute that escalates into a ban eventually, but one strike and you're out, as determined by a computer no less, is ridiculous. There should at least be a human involved in the permanent ban process to avoid a huge amount of headache for a simple bug or mistake.

Redbridge
10-31-2011, 02:21 AM
If there is a genuine mistake, system or otherwise, everyone can contact STS directly who can look over any chat logs and check the details/context. They do reverse some decisions, where the use is clearly out of context and supported with good reason, but rarely.

There are some words which you have to agree should warrant an insta-ban regardless of whether intentioned or not. It's only the most serious of hate language that is on the list, I think.

Fusionstrike
10-31-2011, 10:39 AM
It doesn't make sense for the system to be "we'll toss you out and maybe you can get a hold of an actual person to fix it if you're lucky". Zero tolerance policies always cause nonsensical collateral damage. At the very least, it needs to be more than one instance before completely flushing a person's investment in the game down the drain. Consider this: there are plenty of non-native English speakers in PL. They are the most likely ones either to make a mistake or not understand the true meaning and weight of some words. Immediate, automatic, one-strike ejection will inevitably claim innocent victims in cases like that. In any event, with stakes this high the list of the "seven dirty words you can't say on PL" ought to at least be published somewhere. OTOH, if the system has some kind of warning first, then the list need not be published because it can be discovered before the dire consequences kick in. I understand the devs want to enforce some kind of minimum behavior standard, but this proposal is far too draconian. Dial it back a bit to save yourselves the headaches of unintended consequences.

euphorixx
11-06-2011, 01:33 PM
The US constitution. GREAT idea on paper. And that's it. Same here. I get muted all the time because of my androids spell check. I had no idea there was an auto ban system and honestly development... its unfair IMO. I enjoy this game, I'm not a vulgar person. Nor do I feel that my ability to play a game I've put over a hundred into should be determined by a computer. Considering the amount of bugs I've experienced so far I'm a little uncomfortable knowing this this could happen. I love this game. I support you guys 100% but in this aspect. Not so much.

Android LG Optimus using Tapatalk

Tootthefruiet
02-06-2012, 12:32 PM
Ummmm Gay?:sorrow:

Livemau
02-09-2012, 07:04 PM
alert major muting problem
Sometimes my paerents call so I have to say 1 sec so they know i will brb but sometimes by accident I put an x instead of a c and as a result I get muted a for my small mistake. (THE LETTERS ARE RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER) and with a touch screen device and big fingers im sure im not the only one that does this. This word I am referring to should have a filter where it does not show the word rather than having a mute. It is not an entirely bad word because it is hard to use it in an insult. Also most people are smart enough to spell a word like t41z so it doesnt filter them or even like ths and they can work around it. I have worked hard on my PL and dont want it to end because of a 1 letter mistake as I mentioned above. PLEASE CHANGE THIS AND KEEP ME INFORMED ON THE PROGRESS IF ANYONE SUPPORTS ME PLEASE GUVE THIS COMMENT A THUMBS UP!!!

Livemau

Noodleleg
02-10-2012, 02:41 PM
alert major muting problem
Sometimes my paerents call so I have to say 1 sec so they know i will brb but sometimes by accident I put an x instead of a c and as a result I get muted a for my small mistake. (THE LETTERS ARE RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER) and with a touch screen device and big fingers im sure im not the only one that does this. This word I am referring to should have a filter where it does not show the word rather than having a mute. It is not an entirely bad word because it is hard to use it in an insult. Also most people are smart enough to spell a word like t41z so it doesnt filter them or even like ths and they can work around it. I have worked hard on my PL and dont want it to end because of a 1 letter mistake as I mentioned above. PLEASE CHANGE THIS AND KEEP ME INFORMED ON THE PROGRESS IF ANYONE SUPPORTS ME PLEASE GUVE THIS COMMENT A THUMBS UP!!!

Livemau
Yeah, they changed this...happened to me a lot too =p

DaddyChris
02-11-2012, 05:44 PM
What if u accidently say a word like for example cockroach in sewers

TYRANTO
02-11-2012, 06:00 PM
i like this there so many ppl using inappropriate chat

zeusabe
02-13-2012, 09:37 PM
We really need a list. My guild has a nationalistic theme where we use our own local language and English as secondary. I have been personally muted for typing words that are perfectly acceptable in our local language but not in the English Vernacular. For instance, the word "paki", in our language that is equivalent to "please", so whenever we try to ask somebody in the guild for help, we often use the word "paki" prior to a request in order to sound more polite. It's easy to dismiss this issue by saying use English, but that is easier said than done when all the members know how to speak their primary (local) language, not that it's hard, it's simply more comfortable (and nationalistic) and one of the main reasons why nationalistic guilds are established in the first place, to break the speech barrier. Another example is the word "puto", in our country that means cake rice, and our people are generally rice eaters so you will expect rice related words to be brought up at one point or the other, don't ask me why, it's just how things turn out when you have hundreds of people in a guild with the same nationality. I'm not saying that these words be legalized if it offends other people, all I'm saying is, please provide the list of those words that will cause mute or ban because some of those words are perfectly OK to other players not because they are jerks, but because these words are generally accepted words in their local vernacular. Thank you.

Sryyoulose
02-15-2012, 04:38 PM
Sometimes auto... Makes me swear! Hope this doesn't happen

fuzzylazer
02-21-2012, 12:23 AM
Sometimes a tell my friend to use dex but my auto correct comes up as.......................... :(

Elysony
02-22-2012, 06:43 PM
Ummmm Gay?:sorrow:
You just lost a lot of respect from me . Saying '' Gay '' to mean stupid trying to be cool or something is not . I'm not the real meaning but I will stand up for them if some ignorant child uses that word in a childish way to be Funny and, or cool .

Elitelink
02-23-2012, 12:47 PM
Well I believe that one of the things that offends me the most on a game like this is the bad language used and am overjoyed that this will come into affect soon. I am sure that we can use our better judgement to know what to say and not to say, because it seems counter productive to upload a list of every bad word not to say to the forums or something. I do somewhat worry about typing errors and I have noticed that it bleeps when it right something "like look at it" or something like that bleeping the last three letters when I meant nothing by it. Anyway I am sure there will be safety precautions or hope so for those slip ups of accidental mistyping and I believe it is a good idea and will work out for the best.

Elysony
02-23-2012, 10:12 PM
Uhm... Guys you all do realize this is already said and done ? This is way old I just felt like saying that to him .

Elitelink
02-24-2012, 04:21 PM
Ya but I'm sure they are constantly updating their systems and perfecting them because not everything gets blocked like it should

darkmagesun
02-29-2012, 09:02 PM
I hate this if I don't space one work it mutes me even is I didn't say a bad word

Wonkering
03-06-2012, 03:41 PM
It should be more flexible. By that I mean that it unnecessarily censors everything such as words with space like "I thought its" would be "I though* **" I mean, we do have a reporting system for a reason, don't we?

Livemau
03-07-2012, 07:18 PM
what happens when you and a friend are talking but you are really close like nugs n I go to school and sometimes we get Xtreme with each other and we may say something weird or inapropriate and then we get muted. Can we make an option where you go to the game options and you can turn on private chat no filter mute or ban for yourslef and it displays it to other players if u allow it or not. Itt would help with people that wanna talk to their friend like they normally talk.

xXSicariusXx
04-16-2012, 07:32 AM
I thought the point of a filter was to avoid all this unnecessary censorship. Granted a filter can be bypassed with certain words but it shouldn't mean that now the over 18 population of the game must have their freedom of speech stifled whiled pming with each other, and let's be honest you think with the rapid decline of todays social standards kids aren't using worse language on their own when parents aren't around? I say screw it let the rabbits wear glasses (for those who get my point) but yes yes before you get your +5 panties of offendedness in a bunch I understand why the system has been implemented and it will not stop me from playing an otherwise AWESOME game. Mobile mmo...for an mmo junkie.

timeismoney1
04-20-2012, 01:28 PM
I agree with the above post

RedYoshii
04-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Hopefully this will solve things..

Trebouchet
04-26-2012, 10:17 PM
How about they don't use terms themselves that they would punish us for? For example, if "crush the keeper" trips the filter... maybe they should change the name of the level! Just sayin'...

Luvaria
05-07-2012, 06:12 PM
How about they don't use terms themselves that they would punish us for? For example, if "crush the keeper" trips the filter... maybe they should change the name of the level! Just sayin'...

I agree... lolz