PDA

View Full Version : "Main spine" campaigns are not free forever

Physiologic
04-19-2011, 03:13 PM
http://i52.tinypic.com/8wglzo.jpg

Source: http://www.spacetimestudios.com/content.php?242-Spacetime-Studios-Celebrates-1-Year-of-Pocket-Legends-With-Massive-Giveaway-and-Celebration

So it's just a promotion, not a permanent fix. No need to worry if you think you "wasted" money by spending cash on these campaigns before. Gameloft has done free give away of their games as well for promotional purposes.

RedRyder
04-19-2011, 03:19 PM
Yea I don't see what the big issue is. A lot of games do it, so why not PL? It'll just bring more players in and replace the idiots that quit due to GCD without waiting for a fix. I'm content with this because now I can get my friends and family to play without having to supply them with plat lol.

However, My only question is what happens to the players that started with the spine free, but the prices come back on? If they been in the Towne of the map, would it stay free for them? Or would they have to had actually play in the dungeon?

FluffNStuff
04-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Pretty sure they are always going to be free. In fact, ASommers stated in one my threads that the next area will most likely be free.

Vallist
04-19-2011, 03:21 PM
im still waiting for cakes, and much more as stated in the title

Physiologic
04-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Pretty sure they are always going to be free. In fact, ASommers stated in one my threads that the next area will most likely be free.

Asommers did say that, but this entire article says otherwise.

Lesrider
04-19-2011, 03:35 PM
This is bizarre, to say the least.
Why wouldn't they announce it with everything if this is the case? Especially with the huge uproar about it. I'm sure they'd get less criticism if we all were told it's a 2-week promotion. But they said nothing of the kind.
So I find it very odd. Either they changed their mind one way or the other or are still making up their minds?

Also, how do the shadow caves and other maps play into this, that cost plat even while the rest are free? It just doesn't make sense if it's all temporary.

I just don't get it.

vol
04-19-2011, 03:43 PM
I think they realize they were making a mistake making the content free and backtracking. I think they are correct in backtracking because where is their revenue going to come from? They were hoping the elixirs, but the outcry suggests that not to be the case. They need more campaigns. The campaigns need to cost more.

This move and GCD makes me wonder if they don't understand the impact of some of their decisions.

Edit: there is no doubt this is a retraction of an earlier stance, since they talked about refunding everyones plat that had bought it in the last 3 days. If it is a temporary thing, why do that?

RedRyder
04-19-2011, 03:59 PM
They're only refunding within 3 days of today. So the refund does make sense

Lesrider
04-19-2011, 03:59 PM
The newsletter I just got says nothing about it being temporary.
So I dunno what's going on here.

Lesrider
04-19-2011, 04:00 PM
They're only refunding within 3 days of today. So the refund does make sense

Not if it's going back to pay-to-play in tel weeks. Bc those same people would probably buy it again when the two weeks are up.

RedRyder
04-19-2011, 04:29 PM
Not if it's going back to pay-to-play in tel weeks. Bc those same people would probably buy it again when the two weeks are up.

Lol I'm sure they'd see the announcement in the header after login in, so if they purchase it it'll be due to there own stupidity :p

vol
04-19-2011, 04:52 PM
Lol I'm sure they'd see the announcement in the header after login in, so if they purchase it it'll be due to there own stupidity :p

I dont understand what you are saying since they say that after two weeks the dungeons will be locked to people who will have to pay for it again. Unless the people who get it during the free promotion have it forever, but I doubt this

Slush
04-19-2011, 04:55 PM
Yea, I made a new account to see if i could purchase the campaigns for free, but they're not even in the plat store. Kind of a let-down :p

superglut2
04-19-2011, 04:59 PM
I dont get The devs sometimes.

asommers
04-19-2011, 05:03 PM
I dont get The devs sometimes.

It's all part of the plan. I would explain it, but I want to keep you guessing.

-ALS

Kossi
04-19-2011, 05:03 PM
my theory:

people who joined on their emails have the main spine free forever
after the 2 weeks are over, any new emails will have to pay.

Potawto
04-19-2011, 05:30 PM

-ALS

Touché Asommers, touché.

Kindread
04-19-2011, 07:59 PM

-ALS

You get all the new players that experience for free and find out how awesome it is. By the time they bring their family, friends, neighbors and co-workers in, it may be too late and they'll just buy the game because its great and they want to play with their friends. Genius! Muwahaha!

xuz
04-19-2011, 08:27 PM
What about all us oldies who spent countless plat on the first day of release on EVERY dungeon

i mean a Level 1 shield of Gratitude, good for twinks but is that it ?? the design is nearly identical to the sewer gear with a bit of colour and shape difference here and there

Otukura
04-19-2011, 08:35 PM
my theory:

I think so too...

Will I get the next campaigns that come out for free? Or will I have to pay plat for those?

you won't need to purchase them

vol
04-19-2011, 08:35 PM
my theory:

This is probably something the devs should clarify. Is it akin to a Welcome back weekend in other MMOs or are the people who use the free content now going to keep it after two weeks. Inquiring minds want to know.

FluffNStuff
04-20-2011, 10:59 AM
I am guessing this is a wet foot dry foot type of deal. You get to keep all the campaigns you made it too, so if you are level 31 and you made it to swamps, you keep all the campaigns up to swamps. After that they can make it so you have to purchase spine campaigns in order of level.

BeardedBear
04-20-2011, 11:09 AM
Hmm, this a bit misleading. Ok, it's very misleading.

StompArtist
04-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Hmm, this a bit misleading. Ok, it's very misleading.

Yeah. Sort of strange... Maybe the current players will keep the campaigns but new players after that date will have to pay?

superglut2
04-20-2011, 01:17 PM
But whydo we get a shield then? And they charge for free stuff like wylewood.

KaotiicxDream
04-20-2011, 03:31 PM
Haha.. I still got my Shield of Gratitude anyway..

Duped
04-20-2011, 03:47 PM
Very strange indeed. All I can say is I dunno!

asommers
04-20-2011, 03:50 PM
Accounts created during the free period permanently own the content.

-ALS

Slush
04-20-2011, 04:12 PM

-ALS

Really? Woohoo!

Otukura
04-20-2011, 09:32 PM
Well, that's great for them, but I'm wondering if they'll make the upcoming campaigns free? I've spent too much plat, and there's no way I'll be able to get them, because at first they said they would...

Lesrider
04-20-2011, 09:40 PM

-ALS

Interesting....

hugosukmeoff
04-20-2011, 09:57 PM
so 2 weeks ago i purchased 30 plat for the first time and bought a dungeon pack.
Does that get refunded to me now or what? I didn't get a shield as i think that goes to people who bought all the dungeons??

anyway would like an answer on this? is this the best place to post it?

Lesrider
04-20-2011, 10:14 PM

-ALS

Just realized... That means those who had accounts beforehand but didn't buy all the campaigns will have to buy them after the two weeks are up?
Strange if that's the case.

Demonicdevyn
04-20-2011, 11:04 PM
stop over thinking it les you have all the campaigns:P lol

Lesrider
04-20-2011, 11:08 PM
stop over thinking it les you have all the campaigns:P lol

Can't help it. I overthink everything :p
Just trying to understand it.

BeardedBear
04-21-2011, 07:52 AM
Les is true though. Think of someone who just joins and gets everything for free because they joined in this 2 week promo period, and it stays free. Meanwhile, someone who bought half of the campaigns already gets to play everything for free for now, then has to pay when the promo is gone.

I bought them all so it won't effect me, but just seems strange. I'd suggest those of you who haven't bought all the maps yet, make a new account.

StompArtist
04-21-2011, 08:03 AM
Can't help it. I overthink everything :p
Just trying to understand it.

Anyone who plays before the end of the 2 week period has all the campaigns for free. After that, new players will have to purchase them.

azulflame
04-21-2011, 08:27 AM
So my brother gets them all for free and I have to get all of them again? Sssssssszoooooooo not fair.

Lesrider
04-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Anyone who plays before the end of the 2 week period has all the campaigns for free. After that, new players will have to purchase them.

ALS said accounts that are created during the promotional period will keep the maps for free. Said nothing about those who created their accounts before then. So that's what I was trying to understand.

I also still find it strange how they're making the shadow caves, wildwood (and one other place?) cost plat for those who got everything else for free. Will those continue to cost money to others after the two week promotion is over? There's so many inconsistencies here.

StompArtist
04-21-2011, 08:37 AM
ALS said accounts that are created during the promotional period will keep the maps for free. Said nothing about those who created their accounts before then. So that's what I was trying to understand.

Sorry I misunderstood. Good question.

Duke
04-21-2011, 09:22 AM

-ALS

My theory is that you guys do game development and publishing not as an end in and of itself, but as part of researching a complex doctoral thesis on behavior patterns involving gamers' reactions to changes.

skavenger216
04-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Lmao at the above post

Lesrider
04-21-2011, 09:26 AM
My theory is that you guys do game development and publishing not as an end in and of itself, but as part of researching a complex doctoral thesis on behavior patterns involving gamers' reactions to changes.

Lol you're probably right!

Apostar
04-21-2011, 02:36 PM
Good one asommers, keep us guess; that way we come back for more lol

asommers
04-21-2011, 02:46 PM
Just realized... That means those who had accounts beforehand but didn't buy all the campaigns will have to buy them after the two weeks are up?
Strange if that's the case.

Sorry, all accounts now permanently own the campaigns.

-ALS

Chitillion
04-21-2011, 02:55 PM
Was getting worried. When I finally purchase platinum I realize all the dungeons I was gonna buy were suddenly free so I bought the other dungeons instead. Then I get on here to check server status and see this. Jumping to conclusions definitely has a snowball effect. Thank you Pocket Legends, I now own every current dungeon and a Rock Warrior.

lilbyrdie
04-21-2011, 03:16 PM

-ALS

Best. Response. Ever. :)

Otukura
04-21-2011, 05:08 PM
Sorry, all accounts now permanently own the campaigns.

-ALS

But what about future ones?