PDA

View Full Version : Origin of IGN's

JaytB
04-21-2011, 08:59 AM
Hi,

With the servers being down at the moment, I thought of making this thread to fight boredom a little.

So, how did you choose your IGN?

I'll start :)

When I started PL, I created a bear named 'JaytB'. Having never played an MMO before, I thought my initials would do. Once I was like lvl 30 or something, and seeing a lot of funny and smart IGN's, I saw how much my IGN lacked in originality and how dull it really was. Then I discovered the magic mirror and found there were Panda faces... IKungFuPanda was born :)

My mage was originally called 'fulgurite' (It was a name I used in the early days of CB communication... Waaay before the Intertubes). After I while I got the idea of finding a more consistent naming for my characters... Hence IkungFuMage and IKungFuBird.

So what's the story behind your IGN's?

Suntv
04-21-2011, 09:10 AM
O this IS fun!

SunTV is a combination of an older IGN and an item. I used to play Homeworld on the Pc using the IGN SunStorm[Co]. Co stands for the armada "Cloaking Order" which was mine and had approx 55 members at its peak. That was way back in 2001. Anyway in those days I was tweaking video compression formats, which were new at the time. DiVX was just new and I was playing around with a TV capture card from Pinnacle. Now and then I needed to ask questions to tweakers on forums so I added both to a new name:

SunStorm + TV capture cards = SunTV

I know lots of you are now losing money on the origin of my mystical name, thinking I'm Indian and spam Bollywood. It appears there is an Indian TV channel called SunTV. They still owe me Registered TradeMark Copyrights :cool:

1337arded
04-21-2011, 09:10 AM
Well let me think back...my names are Slashurbum flashmybum and shooturbum....I originally used something that rhymed better with slash and flash but I got banned for 24 hours and names were changed... Man that was a long 24 hours lmao no worries tho the change was cool wit me :)

Duke
04-21-2011, 09:17 AM
My Mains: Taia and Faldred are names I've used for years in PnP RPGs and CRPGs. Both were just somewhat fanciful, random names I came up with and liked well enough to use over and over again.

Questius, the often-restarted character designed to play through the "story" of the game via the quest system to test how well it works, is obviously just a play on the word Quest.

AbsolutePally
04-21-2011, 09:20 AM
Alwaysdtf... Lol hopefully everyone knows what that means. This is actually my first mage and character that made it out of the forest campaigns. Initially it was just a dumb in the moment idea, I never knew I would get so into the game. Well it was a huge hit in game. People lol and friend me because of the name all the time. Getting many compliments is great!

Arterra
04-21-2011, 09:22 AM
Arterra was thought of BEFORE I saw what the realm was named.

I was thinking: fantasy mmo? Terra. Oops, taken.
Ok then, let's add a prefix. Ar- makes a good sound, Arterra it is. Tada a legend is born.

CanonicalKoi
04-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Well let me think back...my names are Slashurbum flashmybum and shooturbum....I originally used something that rhymed better with slash and flash but I got banned for 24 hours and names were changed... Man that was a long 24 hours lmao no worries tho the change was cool wit me :)

Every time I see Slash and Shoot around town, it makes me laugh. :) There's two of my favorite IGNs right there.

Yosinabe, first char, no clue--maybe I was hungry, lol. Gyoza, second char, carrying on the theme. Rauen broke the naming convention and it's a long story. ;) Diffie was named for Whitfield Diffie, Whitfield already being taken. GrievousAngel for a drug in a William Gibson sci-fi novel. Partedmagic for a Linux distro.

Weagledan
04-21-2011, 09:24 AM
I'm a huge Washington Capitals fan, and their mascot is an eagle. A washington eagle = weagle. The original 'weagle' name was taken (I know you're out there somewhere Weagle!), so I just added 'dan' on to the end of it (and no, my name's not Dan)

:)

neko
04-21-2011, 09:28 AM
SunTV is a combination of an older IGN and an item. I used to play Homeworld on the Pc using the IGN SunStorm[Co]. Co stands for the armada "Cloaking Order" which was mine and had approx 55 members at its peak. That was way back in 2001.

I loved Homeworld and its sequel.

Anichelith was my first character and as a noob, I didn't know better with the auto-generated name. Being the uber SRINGY that I am, I'm too much of a cheapie to rename her. Besides, it's kinda stuck ever since. I wanted to call my next character Ursus, latin for bear, but since it was already taken, Urrsus was born. The same happened for my next character, but since Corvus, latin for crow, was already taken, Corrvus was born.

JaytB
04-21-2011, 09:31 AM
Alwaysdtf... Lol hopefully everyone knows what that means. This is actually my first mage and character that made it out of the forest campaigns. Initially it was just a dumb in the moment idea, I never knew I would get so into the game. Well it was a huge hit in game. People lol and friend me because of the name all the time. Getting many compliments is great!

Being from Belgium I had no idea what it meant really. Until now o.O

RedRyder
04-21-2011, 09:34 AM
First name was surfingalien (a bird) named after Joe satriani's iconic song "surfing with the alien." I noticed mages killed faster in the beginning (used to be really fast in when I discovered the game a year ago) so I made "RedRyder" after my xbox live ign (redryder1482). Around ao2 I renamed all my chars. To follow the RedRyder tradition- RedRyder, scarletryder, crimsonryder, roseryder, vermlionryder, maroonryder, rubyryder, etc. My brothers and family members follow the tradition as well but with they're own colors (black and green so far, all others are imposters.)

neko
04-21-2011, 09:35 AM
Being from Belgium I had no idea what it meant really. Until now o.O

Alwaysdtf?

*blank look*

I don't get it...

Ellyidol
04-21-2011, 09:36 AM
Have always been Ellyidol in games (different actual spelling, but Elly looks better :p).

It was an inside joke with friends, not suited for this forum :p

RedRyder
04-21-2011, 09:38 AM
Alwaysdtf?

*blank look*

I don't get it...

Google it lol, it's inappropriate

JaytB
04-21-2011, 09:40 AM
Alwaysdtf?

*blank look*

I don't get it...

I googled it. Not really appropriate to explain what it means here :)

Edit: red beat me to it :)

Have always been Ellyidol in games (different actual spelling, but Elly looks better :p).

It was an inside joke with friends, not suited for this forum :p

Aren't we all friends? And, noooo not curious at all... But you can tell me ;)

superss
04-21-2011, 09:45 AM
superss a name i thought of that combines the word super with my initials Rss supeRSS

Ellyidol
04-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Aren't we all friends? And, noooo not curious at all... But you can tell me ;)

Of course we are! I meant bestfriends, all throughout elementary to highschool :)

Lets just say my ex looked like her :p

Kindread
04-21-2011, 09:52 AM
I used to play a hardcore RP text-MUD called Achaea. It's actuall th highest rated MUD out there. Basically like Dungeons and Dragons on a computer and you're playing with the rest of the world. I ruled PvP with my deathknight Slayer Caine de Soulis and my apostate Kindread. I actually feel like a Dev whenever I pop back into that game. Everyone comes flying to my area and they're like whoa, are you really Caine? The Caine? Kinda the same treatment Lone gets here in PL.

Riccits
04-21-2011, 09:53 AM
My real name is Richard, but all call me Ricci ;)
XCarver=> www.extremecarving.com iam just loving it!

NeoQueen
04-21-2011, 09:54 AM
I admit, with maybe a little embarrassment, that I am a Sailor Moon junkie. So much so that I downloaded all the original Saior Moon episodes in Japanese with English subtitles and the manga. There comes the IGN NeoQueen. Then people were calling me Neo in game, so I created NeoGoddess and NeoAngel. Now they are known as the NeoSupremes...lol

Just have to come up with a common theme for Blackstar now...

NeoQueen
04-21-2011, 09:57 AM

Is it sad that originally I didn't know what it meant, but then I saw someone say it was inappropriate so my mind jumped off the sidewalk and into the gutter and now I know without googling it?

neko
04-21-2011, 10:17 AM

LOL!

REALLY? Is that what they say now?! Man, do I ever feel out of date now.

Roc
04-21-2011, 10:23 AM
My first character was named Rakshana, a Persian version of my real name, but since that didn't lend itself to a cool short version I did a few letter changes into Rocshana, so I could be called Roc. I'm also stubborn in real life and Roc is a giant bird in Egyptian mythology, at least, according to Age of Mythology.

My other characters just have the prefix Roc- with something that I thought sounded cool :)

KaotiicxDream
04-21-2011, 10:31 AM
SandyxRavage: Cuz I'm a fan of the beast himself The Sandy Ravage

All other char names got "Dream" last in name: My Xbox LIVE GamerTag is SW33T DR34MS 01, and I've been I love with the "Dream" since I made my GamerTag(I made my GamerTag 04-14-10).. So why not Birdiex"dream"(cuz a birdie+"dream") and Kaotiicx"dream"(Kaotiic is Chaotic just wrote a bit cooler+"dream") and Twinkx"dream"(cuz he is a Twink+dream)

My classified char names can't I talk about right now. First when they get Unclassified.

mugen
04-21-2011, 10:36 AM
my bear apotheosisman i named cause i like BSG and the whole man becoming a god thing. i use this name in a lot of games now. my mage is named uiscebeatha it means "the water of life" and is where we get the word whiskey, also one of my favorite adult beverages hehe. my bird pitati for the mercenary archers of ancient egypt (also boss in game which im sure you all know lol). forum name ive used along time for screen names etc. meaning infinity,dream

CrimsonTider
04-21-2011, 10:41 AM
Mine should be obvious but for those who don't follow sports:

I am a HUGE fan of the University of Alabama Crimson Tide!!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!

Duped
04-21-2011, 12:45 PM
I'm like JaytB I never played an MMO before (downloaded this for free currency on some game). So I created a mage, who primarily used Intelligence. I thought, ok. They are smart. So I named Duped (like ha, I duped you I'm so smart) and Bears were strong and Ursan so conanursan. I didn't make my bird until later, and by that point I knew better what was what, hence isniped - cause he does!

Moogerfooger
04-21-2011, 12:54 PM
Hopefully people have figured out what my my archer/forum name means :p

A radio callsign I had at one point was "Brutal Seven" so I kind of got 'Brutalityz' from that. And I like Clint Eastwood's film "Pale Rider" and stuck a -z on the end for my bear.

Ersana
04-21-2011, 12:57 PM
Mine is geeky my favorite Elven name is Ersana

Actona679
04-21-2011, 01:34 PM
Pocket Legends is the first MMO I have played. Since I was avoiding working in home office when I signed up (I maintain website for family furniture/gift store), I thought it was only appropriate to name my mage after the product line I was supposed to be adding to our website: Alessi. Actona followed when I discovered I was a horrible mage. Yes, named after the furniture line I was bored to tears adding to our website at that moment.

I am currently contemplating adding a bear. So, following the work avoidance, vendor naming scheme, what should I name the bear? Contenders: Herman Miller, Tvillum, Mobican, Ekornes, Seltz, Koziol, Jesper...

Man! I really need to do some work!

Moogerfooger
04-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Pocket Legends is the first MMO I have played. Since I was avoiding working in home office when I signed up (I maintain website for family furniture/gift store), I thought it was only appropriate to name my mage after the product line I was supposed to be adding to our website: Alessi. Actona followed when I discovered I was a horrible mage. Yes, named after the furniture line I was bored to tears adding to our website at that moment.

I am currently contemplating adding a bear. So, following the work avoidance, vendor naming scheme, what should I name the bear? Contenders: Herman Miller, Tvillum, Mobican, Ekornes, Seltz, Koziol, Jesper...

How about Bearlyworking? :p

Actona679
04-21-2011, 01:43 PM
How about Bearlyworking? :p

LMAO! Reminds me of the time when my husband emailed me after he received iTunes receipts for my plat purchases with message "I just changed the iTunes password to youaresocutoff" I actually believed he had changed the password (to something known only to him) for three days! He would definitely approve of your name suggestion :-)

Moogerfooger
04-21-2011, 01:47 PM
LMAO! Reminds me of the time when my husband emailed me after he received iTunes receipts for my plat purchases with message "I just changed the iTunes password to youaresocutoff" I actually believed he had changed the password (to something known only to him) for three days! He would definitely approve of your name suggestion :-)

He has a sense of humor....sounds like something I would say.

If you find/advanced search for BeardedBear on the forum, he has Bear in a lot of his character's names, BallBearing is one of his that I crack up when I see.

Dang, I may have to start a noob bear and call him BearlyAwake :D

Sun
04-21-2011, 01:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWJ8jdeR-6Y

Hmm Ima sig this

Yvonnel
04-21-2011, 01:57 PM
I chose Yvonnel first. It was a once referenced name in a Forgotten Realms novel. It was the name of a Drow Priestess. After getting to level 50 I created a bird and bear. Their original names were Sothillis (bird) and Keirstaad (bear). They also are names from Forgotten Realms novels.

But due to not being easily recognizable to friends they were soon renamed Yvonnela and Yvonnelw. It kept me from having to pm everyone when I sent them a friend request.

Gaddy
04-21-2011, 01:59 PM
"Gimboid" is a common "space-age" insult thrown around on the BBC tv show "RED DWARF"

I've got an alt that I rarely play named Tarnx (after the silver polish of the same name)

Duped
04-21-2011, 02:02 PM

Mobican = Mob I Can? Perfect for a bear! You can handle a mob!

davidis57
04-21-2011, 02:06 PM
My first name being Tim has nothing to do with my in game name. Timba was the name of the best dog I ever had. He was sweet, playful, and loaded with personality. Thus Timbabird was created.

neko

+1 Teknion!

Ersana
Ok at first I thought I was the only D&D fan here

Junside
04-21-2011, 02:19 PM
My IGN is an adaptation of Korean pronunciation. (Pronounced Joon - side)

This IGN dates back to Counter-Strike 1.3 and Diablo II LoD when I was younger. I actually didn't look up possible definitions and meanings for my IGN until about 2 years ago. So it was simply some random name I thought up. :p

But call it destiny as you may...

Korean similar pronunciations

Chun - sa (not choon) simply means an angel from above. A demi-god entity.

Jun - sa (not Joon) means a champion, bravery, a warrior, death in battle or a legend of history.

Joon - sa means an archer, a sniper, one who fires from a distance.

I was weirded out, but I stick with the name everywhere I go. I've been recognized globally in some networking sites, some games, asking if I am the Junside who did this, did that... I'm afraid I may hit infamy. lol My internet tag was in an internet popularity rating of like 80k in the world(but this can include search results, haters, fans, others, or simply inaccurate).

MITSUISUN
04-21-2011, 03:30 PM
I had this thread as idea of my 1st started thread a while back, since Jaytb/panda/kungfu-family beat me to it, I guess I will need to use my event idea as backup now , awww~~~ hehe

Mitsui = #14 3-point shooting guard from Slam Dunk, if you guys know the reference – Hisashi Mitsui. The comic was huge when I played ball back in the days, god that’s so long time ago.

Sun = my last name

Since my gaming days from 1998, I’ve always used Mitsui, from EQ/Diablo/FFXI/CoH/CoV/Shadowbane/WoW and misc etc.

Sun/Moon/Star was just being lazy and things.

At games that has lastname/surname as part of title/full name, I would use Mitsui Sunholder/Moonholder/Starholder etc.

I am not Japanese but am pretty good with the language because of friends and games I played since I found Nintendo/GameBoy/Sega/SNK/Super Nitendo/FF series, all in Japanese titles, on top of all the foreign movies/dramas that I watch.

Mitsui-sun(san) when pronounce it, it’s like addressing Mr. Wallace or Mr. Eastwood which I like too.

People refer me to Mits or MIT – cuz I am Made In Taiwan heh

JaytB
04-21-2011, 03:37 PM
I had this thread as idea of my 1st started thread a while back, since Jaytb/panda/kungfu-family beat me to it, I guess I will need to use my event idea as backup now , awww~~~ hehe

Mitsui = #14 3-point shooting guard from Slam Dunk, if you guys know the reference – Hisashi Mitsui. The comic was huge when I played ball back in the days, god that’s so long time ago.

Sun = my last name

Since my gaming days from 1998, I’ve always used Mitsui, from EQ/Diablo/FFXI/CoH/CoV/Shadowbane/WoW and misc etc.

Sun/Moon/Star was just being lazy and things.

At games that has lastname/surname as part of title/full name, I would use Mitsui Sunholder/Moonholder/Starholder etc.

I am not Japanese but am pretty good with the language because of friends and games I played since I found Nintendo/GameBoy/Sega/SNK/Super Nitendo/FF series, all in Japanese titles, on top of all the foreign movies/dramas that I watch.

Mitsui-sun(san) when pronounce it, it’s like addressing Mr. Wallace or Mr. Eastwood which I like too.

People refer me to Mits or MIT – cuz I am Made In Taiwan heh

Hey Mits... Was wondering when you'd explain your name :) I always thought you where Asian from origin, and living in the US :D

If you'd told me your idea, I wouldn't have made a thread about it. I was just bored, the server being down and all...

Anyway, glad to finally know where your name comes from :)

LordEspe
04-21-2011, 05:59 PM
When counter strike first came out my IGN was ScotyPotty! That's from, if anyone remembers, garbage pal kids, pottyscotty, I just reversed names! I than played a game and that IGN was taken so I did LordEspe! Es=S Pe=P !!

Then LordPotty just felt right!
Shaydurbees is personal so I'll leave it at that! :)

Junside, a fellow counterstriker huh!!?

Zeus
04-21-2011, 06:06 PM
Apollo is my bird. He is the god of the sun and archery. (Greek God)

Bodyguardz is my bear. Got it from him being a tank and the skin protector, Bodyguardz

Poseidon is my elf. Poseidon is the greek god of the sea, earthquakes, and all other supernaturals. So the name fits.

My forum name? Apollo was originally rangepwnsmeel. Renamed (Rangepwnsmeel is now my level 20 twink). Range= Archer, pwns= destroys, meel= Meele (sword play), but there were not enough characters. So I just made it with meel at the end, and it stuck.

Mynasgen is my level 20 bear twink. Mynasgen is an ironic name. He isn't a mynas generation. Was just meant to be humerous

Voodoovillain is my Level 35 Bear twink. Brooke suggested the name for me and that we be twin twinks.

juniorluis
04-21-2011, 06:31 PM
Well my ign's are well my real life name Junior is what my family calls me because I'm named after my father. And my other characters xxJoseLuisxx and JoseLuisxx. Well that's my name Jose Luis not too creative but eh I like my name =D

iuxui
04-21-2011, 07:38 PM
Cool thread... A while ago I wanted to buy a domain name that was unique. After a few days of searching go daddy I decided upon iuxui, thought it was a great symmetry in letters and now use it as a sign on name for games. hope one day to sell it for millions :)

Corpser
04-21-2011, 08:27 PM
corpser= gears of war
royalranger= content update in pl involving commander blackhawk and he 2 rangers
royalbrawler= standing in forest haven brawling with zombies making royalbrawler

Rare
04-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Mine is a combination of my city (ATL... yes I own it), and my daughter (Annie... she owns me).

My bear still uses the given name Asalaebaki. Someday I'll fork out the 50 plat to change it.

Sigkill
04-21-2011, 08:40 PM
I don't feel like telling the story to my name >_>

Moogerfooger
04-21-2011, 08:42 PM

So you went out of the way to post that don't feel like it? Good one :rolleyes:

Tiliana
04-21-2011, 08:54 PM

Go with Steelcase!

Sharisiggies
04-21-2011, 09:05 PM
Mine too is pretty dumb... My real name is Shari so I looked through the game names and found shaazatie... Everyone calls me shazzy in game. All of my characters needed to start with an s... If I make another character I may use my imagination a bit... Or let my kids name it, but then it'd be something pokemon or little pony-ish...

Anyone that knows me I really am brain dead :D

And my forum name: Sharisiggies is because I used to make signatures in a forum for moms... I love my Photoshop!!!

Tiliana
04-21-2011, 09:07 PM
Tiliana - an ign I have used in many games which I always felt sounded elfish (my character of choice). It is an anagram of the word Italian which is part of my heritage ( the other part being Filipino). Atilian - my bird is an anagram of that. Antilia - (anagram again) my bear that I have not spent much time playing.

Sigkill
04-21-2011, 09:14 PM
So you went out of the way to post that don't feel like it? Good one :rolleyes:

JaytB
04-21-2011, 09:20 PM

Aww... Party pooper ;)

Xymorg
04-21-2011, 09:48 PM
I started of with Xymorg 'cause I didn't want it to mean anything & hoped it wouldn't be close to other names. I stuck with Xymian, Xymli & Xymsom (Xymon was taken :p) to keep myself semi-recognizable...

I think all your names a great & it's actually a fun minigame to try to figure out what you're going for: I thought i remembered Yvonnel was Jarlaxle's mum (but just googled it to make sure) :)

I also like the polyglot names: got a chuckle when I saw Changofeo wasn't Michael Jackson reference like I initially thought :"chang of eo". If true multilanguage support ever comes around it would be fun to play in the other languages. PL really hooked me when I played with some Quebecois, Puerto Rican, German, Swedes & Chinese mainlanders in a series of games. It's a small Alterra after all, even though "it's a big world in here".

JaytB
04-21-2011, 09:52 PM
It's a small Alterra after all, even though "it's a big world in here".

Amen to that bud :D