PDA

View Full Version : iPad and iPod help please!

KingFu
04-21-2011, 09:29 PM
2 problems....sorry....google wasn't any assistance....

1) iPad:

My iPad was recently jailbroken. I wanted to update it, so I restored and updated it, and kept it clean. Unjailbroken. The screen after a while was stuck to black, I didn't know what to do so i Googled it, and it said to put it into DUF mode, and click restore. I did so, and every time it'd come out of DUF mode, and iTunes wouldn't recognize it any longer. It would go in and out, and it overall wouldn't stay in DUF mode. Weird thing is, all the questions and links said their device was jailbroken, when I just restored mine. It's aggravating me>.< Any suggestions? I have tried holding the home and lock down, holding lock, releasing lock, holding home, etc. Didn't work for me...unless I did it wrong...

2) iPod:

My iPod is jailbroken, I went under general, and tried clicking the delete all option to clear my iPod, to give it to my sister. The iPod was stuck on the apple logo, it had the little loading logo frozen in the middle of it, and it stayed like that. When I would hit buttons, it would go to the normal apple logo with the black background. Then it would just go back to the loading bar in the middle of the logo like before. I tried plugging it in, and it wouldn't detect it. I feel I have tried everything.

I have taken all the procedures from google, and still no luck with either....getting discouraged:/ Sorry for the off topic thread, just Google wouldn't help, and the community always seems to know the answer:)

Zeus
04-21-2011, 09:31 PM
Try PMing me a session on teamviewer? I'll try sorting you out. I have to see what exactly is happening first though.

Moogerfooger
04-21-2011, 09:32 PM
That's pretty crazy. I have jailbroken both of my Apple devices repeatedly and never quite run into that problem.

I do know that one time, when my phone was stuck in DFU mode, that I found a program called Tiny Umbrella that allowed me to kick it out of DFU mode. Lemme see if I can find the download link.

Here ya go...I don't know if it will help but may be worth a shot until someone smarter than me comes along....

http://thefirmwareumbrella.blogspot.com/

KingFu
04-21-2011, 09:36 PM
Try PMing me a session on teamviewer? I'll try sorting you out. I have to see what exactly is happening first though.

Can't right now, about to go eat and with a friend. The weird thing is what happens on the iPod...If I find my phone I will take a picture of the screen. Just neither are staying in DUF mode. I guess I will try letting them die out of battery (My iPod keeps freezing on the loading screen, and then goes to the regular apple screen, then goes back to loading screen, then frozes over and over) so hopefully they will work by tomorrow (to give the iPod to my sister...)

Tvis
04-21-2011, 09:44 PM
Can't right now, about to go eat and with a friend. The weird thing is what happens on the iPod...If I find my phone I will take a picture of the screen. Just neither are staying in DUF mode. I guess I will try letting them die out of battery (My iPod keeps freezing on the loading screen, and then goes to the regular apple screen, then goes back to loading screen, then frozes over and over) so hopefully they will work by tomorrow (to give the iPod to my sister...)

Good call. When my ipod gets stuck in the annoying black screen, or the screen with the apple logo, I let the battery die. It works fine after I charge it again.

JaytB
04-21-2011, 09:45 PM
DUF mode LOL... It's DFU ;)

Most people just don't time the pressing of buttons right to get the device to really enter DFU mode. Make sure you follow steps below exactly:

1. Connect you device to your PC/Mac
2. Hold down power and home exactly 10 seconds
3. Release the power button, while still holding down your home button
4. Keep holding your home button until you see a msg popping up in iTunes telling you your device is in DFU mode (the screen should remain completely black btw)

DFU mode is a low lvl hardware mode that allows you to flash the different memory and other modules within the phone. This mode should always allow you to restore your iPhone/iPod to the factory default settings. If this fails your device is most likely broken, and needs to be returned to Apple.

Oh yes, and make sure you have the latest iTunes version.

Hope this helps.

KingFu
04-21-2011, 10:34 PM
DUF mode LOL... It's DFU ;)

Most people just don't time the pressing of buttons right to get the device to really enter DFU mode. Make sure you follow steps below exactly:

1. Connect you device to your PC/Mac
2. Hold down power and home exactly 10 seconds
3. Release the power button, while still holding down your home button
4. Keep holding your home button until you see a msg popping up in iTunes telling you your device is in DFU mode (the screen should remain completely black btw)

DFU mode is a low lvl hardware mode that allows you to flash the different memory and other modules within the phone. This mode should always allow you to restore your iPhone/iPod to the factory default settings. If this fails your device is most likely broken, and needs to be returned to Apple.

Oh yes, and make sure you have the latest iTunes version.

Hope this helps.

Thanks! Question, is recovery mode and DFU the same thing? As I am restoring, my iPad keeps having the screen light up (still black) and I hear the noise saying it is disconnected from my PC, then it reconnects, then does it over and over. I then hear the disconnect noise, and a thing pops up saying it's error 28 or something...Sorry if I am not being specific, just tired, aggravated, and just want it to work....

KingFu
04-21-2011, 11:01 PM
UGGGG, I got it so that it showed the cord with the iTunes logo above it....then I plug it in, I get to asking Apple to ok the restore, then I get the preparing iPad for restore, then it disconnects, reconnects, goes to the bar with the logo above it, tries verifying with apple to restore again, disconnects, and says error number 28......

Zeus
04-21-2011, 11:05 PM
UGGGG, I got it so that it showed the cord with the iTunes logo above it....then I plug it in, I get to asking Apple to ok the restore, then I get the preparing iPad for restore, then it disconnects, reconnects, goes to the bar with the logo above it, tries verifying with apple to restore again, disconnects, and says error number 28......

Put it in DFU mode again.

KingFu
04-21-2011, 11:07 PM
Put it in DFU mode again.

It keeps going into it and backing out of it. Does the charger with the iTunes logo above it mean it's in DFU mode?

EDIT:

One time, in the middle of TRYING to restore, my screen flashed white :confused:

Zeus
04-21-2011, 11:09 PM
It keeps going into it and backing out of it. Does the charger with the iTunes logo above it mean it's in DFU mode?

EDIT:

One time, in the middle of TRYING to restore, my screen flashed white :confused:

You just took a screenie. Hmm. Press and Hold the home button and power button and give it a normal reset. Then try restore. Let me know if that works.

KingFu
04-21-2011, 11:24 PM
You just took a screenie. Hmm. Press and Hold the home button and power button and give it a normal reset. Then try restore. Let me know if that works.

Nope:/ Every time, it makes the noise saying it's disconnected, then reconnects. It gets to verifying with Apple, then it disconnects, reconnects, disconnects, then says an unknown error occurred (28) Weird thing is, RIGHT after that message pops up and I hit OK, it detects the device, and tells me I need to restore. Even though I restored today, and updated, it still treats it as a new device. I have tried everything, I may just be doing it wrong, but I don't see I could've failed this many times, I have tried close to 15 times.

I may take it into Best Buy (where I bought it), I jailbroke it, but I restored it today, and there was no cydia or anything, so it must have made it clean....

Zeus
04-21-2011, 11:26 PM
Nope:/ Every time, it makes the noise saying it's disconnected, then reconnects. It gets to verifying with Apple, then it disconnects, reconnects, disconnects, then says an unknown error occurred (28) Weird thing is, RIGHT after that message pops up and I hit OK, it detects the device, and tells me I need to restore. Even though I restored today, and updated, it still treats it as a new device. I have tried everything, I may just be doing it wrong, but I don't see I could've failed this many times, I have tried close to 15 times.

I may take it into Best Buy (where I bought it), I jailbroke it, but I restored it today, and there was no cydia or anything, so it must have made it clean....

I just realized... I think apple contains their restore information on Amazon's cloud server tooo.... That might be the cause of the problem...

KingFu
04-21-2011, 11:27 PM
I just realized... I think apple contains their restore information on Amazon's cloud server tooo.... That might be the cause of the problem...

Really? Would make sense considering I can't get passed Apple approval to restore, thanks! Any idea when it will be back up? (Amazon server)

WindBreakr
04-21-2011, 11:36 PM
Just let it die for now i guess. It should be fine when you boot it laer. my ipod had the same problem 3 weeks ago.

JaytB
04-21-2011, 11:40 PM
It could indeed be a problem with the Amazon servers.

As for DFU mode, please follow the steps posted earlier exactly. If the connect to iTunes logo appear, you're not in DFU mode. The screen must be completely black as if your iPod would be turned off.

KingFu
04-21-2011, 11:43 PM
It could indeed be a problem with the Amazon servers.

As for DFU mode, please follow the steps posted earlier exactly. If the connect to iTunes logo appear, you're not in DFU mode. The screen must be completely black as if your iPod would be turned off.

Thanks, I tried both, and it stayed black at times, and other times it went to the apple logo, so neither worked. It disconnects me when it's trying to varify my recovering with Apple, so it is most likely the server. Thanks a ton to you all:) Helped me greatly and took off a lot of unneeded stress:p

JaytB
04-21-2011, 11:54 PM
Thanks, I tried both, and it stayed black at times, and other times it went to the apple logo, so neither worked. It disconnects me when it's trying to varify my recovering with Apple, so it is most likely the server. Thanks a ton to you all:) Helped me greatly and took off a lot of unneeded stress:p

Glad it helped to relieve your stress on this boring PL-less day ;)

Zeus
04-21-2011, 11:56 PM
So am I reinstated as the official dell tech support?

Piosidon
04-21-2011, 11:58 PM
Take it to apple but I don't think theyll be happy with the jailbroken part

KingFu
04-21-2011, 11:58 PM
So am I reinstated as the official dell tech support?

Hahaha, when were you un-instated?:p

One thing, I restored my friends iPod, but I believe it was the night before the Amazon problem now that I think about it, guess he got lucky:p Oh well, any clue on when it will be back up?

EDIT:

Pios, they wouldn't touch my iPod, you can tell it's jailbroken by the pixels at the top (hard to explain) but they wouldn't even touch it, and if the server is down, I don't know if they could help me either, thanks for the help though:)

Zeus
04-21-2011, 11:59 PM
Hahaha, when were you un-instated?:p

One thing, I restored my friends iPod, but I believe it was the night before the Amazon problem now that I think about it, guess he got lucky:p Oh well, any clue on when it will be back up?

Roughly as soon as PL is back up :D.

KingFu
04-22-2011, 12:00 AM
Roughly as soon as PL is back up :D.

Witty-.-
/10:p

Otukura
04-22-2011, 12:37 AM
Not to be a complete pessimist, but I wouldn't bank on the cloud server thing, seems to mea big company like apple would be able to have their own storage... And they mentioned the bigger companies in the news... Oh well.. Hope I'm wrong.

KingFu
04-22-2011, 05:30 PM
Alright...my iPod seems to be working (when I plug it in, it shows the dead battery logo) but my iPad still won't restore, even with the server up:/

KingFu
04-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Scratch that, neither are working :/