PDA

View Full Version : If You Had A Child Who Was Around 10 Years Old Would You Let Them Play PL

costalot
04-21-2011, 11:28 PM
If I had a child and I know for certain I wouldn't let him/her play PL. I think it is a great game that is geared much more towards children, but all it takes is that one person to ruin your child's day/gaming experience. I think that Pocket Legends would have to be a tad bit cleaner, but I understand that they try. SpaceTimeStudios I really do appreciate what you do and try to accomplish. I for one, understand that this is a game meant for younger children and I talk like I'm talking to a child. However, you have those dodos that talk like they are at the local bar when there are children. What are your thoughts on this subject? To the devs, is there a way I can get involved

DawnInfinity
04-21-2011, 11:40 PM
Well, honestly, kids are already exposed to so many things at this point. Even when I was in middle school / junior high school the kids weren't horrible, but now, several years later, the kids are watching rated R movies like "The Hangover" etc. Pocket Legends is great about making things kid-friendly. I would let my child play it. Realistically, one person has the potential to ruin my child's experience, but outside of game the same sort of situation could happen. I see your point, though.

Otukura
04-21-2011, 11:45 PM
Power level him through forest Haven and he'll befine.... or much better off than he be otherwise...

costalot
04-21-2011, 11:47 PM
I agree kids now a days are so much worse than what they were a while back. I guess I just say that because I was raised to not play M games or watch R Movies.

Raulur
04-21-2011, 11:57 PM
Yes, but on the flip side I wouldn't let a 10 year old fumble and break a 200+ dollar piece of tech anyway. They can have the pc, the worst they are going to do is break a 20 buck keyboard.

davidis57
04-22-2011, 12:13 AM
I wouldn't for one simple reason 10 year olds don't need a smart phone and I would not by them one.

spookytooth
04-22-2011, 12:23 AM
If I had a child and I know for certain I wouldn't let him/her play PL. I think it is a great game that is geared much more towards children, but all it takes is that one person to ruin your child's day/gaming experience. I think that Pocket Legends would have to be a tad bit cleaner, but I understand that they try. SpaceTimeStudios I really do appreciate what you do and try to accomplish. I for one, understand that this is a game meant for younger children and I talk like I'm talking to a child. However, you have those dodos that talk like they are at the local bar when there are children. What are your thoughts on this subject? To the devs, is there a way I can get involved
1st this is basically a double posted thread, 2nd if u wanna get involved report what YOU feel is offensive or email STS. Just because you feel.something is wrong doesnt mean everyone does, thats up to the mods and devs to figure out. Noone is gonna give ya a job policing wat YOU feel is right and wrong

RedRyder
04-22-2011, 12:35 AM
Power level him through forest Haven and he'll befine.... or much better off than he be otherwise...

Yes

Yes, but on the flip side I wouldn't let a 10 year old fumble and break a 200+ dollar piece of tech anyway. They can have the pc, the worst they are going to do is break a 20 buck keyboard.

and yes. I've seen my brothers lose iPod after iPod and phone after phone. No way my child is getting anything beside a guitar, pencil, and paper for at home entertainment. They're gonna be just like daddy ;)

xBearSpiritx
04-22-2011, 01:29 AM
No, like all good games, its far too addictive and would end up rotting their brains when they should be focusing on more important things in life, like study, for example.

Sure, an hour here or there during a day is acceptable, but they would soon become addicted because of the mass appeal.

nightshade
04-22-2011, 01:38 AM
No, like all good games, its far too addictive and would end up rotting their brains when they should be focusing on more important things in life, like study, for example.

Sure, an hour here or there during a day is acceptable, but they would soon become addicted because of the mass appeal.

Addicted? We all are:D

Rusalio
04-22-2011, 01:44 AM
Personally, I think anything that allows the ability to interact and communicate with total, faceless strangers isn't ment for kids.

Think of it this way. YOU'RE the parent, not me. YOU'RE responsible for what YOUR child is exposed to. And if YOU want to let YOUR child loose into something that's easily comparable to an all-access bar, then go right ahead. But I shouldn't be held accountable for any of the liquor talk little Billy decides to engulf from my cap loose mind, and re-purge onto your lap.

Sadly, StS doesn't share the same view. So you're in luck, let the little ankle biter roam free. Alterra is child proof, for the most part... Just tell him to watch out for that BeardedBear guy. I hear that he likes to lure little kids into The Dark Forest with old, oversized gingerbread men and orange cat/ghost themed candy bags.

Sad to say and not really proud of it, I have to agree with Banned on this. Although as self centered and unconcerned about others development/influences as he appears to be, it is the parents job soley to protect the innocence of the younger. While it would be mature and the right thing to do, expecting others to aid or help in such measures just isn't going to happen in this "me, me, I, I generation" as banned demonstrates.

Just because the Internet exist and a parents have a false sense or lack knowledge doesn't give us an excuse. As a parent it calls use to be more vigilant and aware of our surroundings. I am glad STS leans to the side of the parents since it is geared toward the younger generation. What we can do as caring people is to continue to encourage those venues that cater to kids such a STS to continuing to make games better like this. In groups you stand:)

I've worked my IT security job for 10+ years and the things that are out there would defy and obliterate a parents minds if they only new.... I'd hate to see a younger child expose to the same thing we fire and prosecute adults for...... And it's the same stuff kids can find freely.... Parents, wise up and take heed.

Thanks STS for taking the better path here...:)

Costalot, as to the thread, plz don't start a new one because the thread gets tainted because of apposing views.... It's sort of frowned on and could like like your trolling when in reality you do have a good topic

Diodge
04-22-2011, 04:35 AM
Schools are worse then PL .
Yes I will let my kids play. They both just got new droids. They both have pads. 7-9yo

I know kids shouldnt have smart phones. Its the future its how I make some of my money. They will learn about them. My kids have never broke there phones/itoy yet. Then if they do break it. Thats why there is insurance. They have phones worth 450+.
The worst thing that ever happened was a kid stole one phone. I tracked it. Boom poor parents had to pay for there kid.

If the worst thing they see is some text with swear words. There doing better then being in school.

DOAPSaint
04-22-2011, 04:36 AM
I'm not sure my child would have an iPhone, iPod Touch, android, or iPad at 10 years old...
but if he did then I would force him to farm recipes with me

xBearSpiritx
04-22-2011, 04:41 AM
Addicted? We all are:D

Lol... yea.... addicted probably an understatement ;)

ICantSpel
04-22-2011, 04:42 AM
Id give my kid chocolate , sweets for gold so defo lol

choco
04-22-2011, 07:47 AM
no....way.

i played with sticks and rocks when i was a kid. although pong was all the rage when i was young....

he wants a smartphone to waste his time, he can get a job.

Actona679
04-22-2011, 07:58 AM
Schools are worse then PL .
Yes I will let my kids play.
If the worst thing they see is some text with swear words. There doing better then being in school.

As a parent of a just-about 10-year-old who often reads in parenting forums, I will preface my opinion with the observation that these kinds of threads can quickly deteriorate into heated debates on best child-rearing practices and who is the better parent. That is not my intention. We all have a right to rear our individual children as best we see fit.

But, I do have an opinion...

I think that the swearing that a child hears in elementary school is more of a rite of passage. It is the use of bad language just to prove that one even knows it exists; the use of bad language to "impress" friends. From what I see in Pocket Legends, the use of vulgar language is more knowing and sexually inappropriate. It is kinda raunchy. The sexual awareness and knowledge of a 13-year-old is vast compared to that of a 10-year-old.

Pocket Legends rates this game 9+ for "Frequent/Intense Cartoon or Fantasy Violence". I think they are spot on with that rating with regard to game play. What they haven't taken into account is the chat aspect of this game. I would recommend that they rate it 12+ for that reason.

I have no problem with the mildly explicit chat I hear sometimes in this game. I even think the fart pack is hilarious. I was 13 once :D I'm sure my potty mouth then could have rivaled the best of what I hear in PL. I'm not so much into it now - but I simply remove myself from a game or towne instance when my eyes start to roll so much that I can't focus on my iPad. I have occasionally heard some very offensive talk and I now wish I had reported the offenders.

So, to answer question: NO. I would not let my child play this game at his age. I do not particularly care for the way some of the players chat and would try to limit my child's exposure to that kind of talk for just a little longer. I am the parent and I still have the control! By the time he turns 12 or 13? Well, I guess we will see. I may off hiding somewhere playing Pocket Legends and avoiding my obnoxious teenager.

Rare
04-22-2011, 08:02 AM

I wouldn't let them play pocket legends for the pure fact that they don't need to be playing on cellphones. They need to be out mowing my lawn.

KaotiicxDream
04-22-2011, 08:07 AM
I let my bro -who is 6 years old- play on my HTC Desire sometimes... He has actually tried to play PL (I needed to help him a little)...

My answer is: If I had a 10 year old kid, YES I would let him play PL but only sometimes ^^

Doubletime
04-22-2011, 08:25 AM
As a parent of a just-about 10-year-old who often reads in parenting forums, I will preface my opinion with the observation that these kinds of threads can quickly deteriorate into heated debates on best child-rearing practices and who is the better parent. That is not my intention. We all have a right to rear our individual children as best we see fit.

But, I do have an opinion...

I think that the swearing that a child hears in elementary school is more of a rite of passage. It is the use of bad language just to prove that one even knows it exists; the use of bad language to "impress" friends. From what I see in Pocket Legends, the use of vulgar language is more knowing and sexually inappropriate. It is kinda raunchy. The sexual awareness and knowledge of a 13-year-old is vast compared to that of a 10-year-old.

Pocket Legends rates this game 9+ for "Frequent/Intense Cartoon or Fantasy Violence". I think they are spot on with that rating with regard to game play. What they haven't taken into account is the chat aspect of this game. I would recommend that they rate it 12+ for that reason.

I have no problem with the mildly explicit chat I hear sometimes in this game. I even think the fart pack is hilarious. I was 13 once :D I'm sure my potty mouth then could have rivaled the best of what I hear in PL. I'm not so much into it now - but I simply remove myself from a game or towne instance when my eyes start to roll so much that I can't focus on my iPad. I have occasionally heard some very offensive talk and I now wish I had reported the offenders.

So, to answer question: NO. I would not let my child play this game at his age. I do not particularly care for the way some of the players chat and would try to limit my child's exposure to that kind of talk for just a little longer. I am the parent and I still have the control! By the time he turns 12 or 13? Well, I guess we will see. I may off hiding somewhere playing Pocket Legends and avoiding my obnoxious teenager.

What an articulate well thought out post. Welcome to the forums by the way. I agree with most of your points, and for the record my oldest two girls are 12 and 10. Both have Ipods and can use our WiFi for playing games such as this. Luckily, they are interested in other things and I don't have to worry about this at the moment. In fact, I doubt either could use their Ipod on a regular basis because they are never charged. :)

But there have been several comments about language and chat in the posts that I wanted to address. The "bad" language in my experience is not a common thing and I play a lot. 99% of players seem to use appropriate discretion in what they say in game chat. I think as a whole the community of players is pretty good about this. The chat filters, when enabled, do a pretty good job. While there are always ways around chat filters, this doesn't appear to be a real problem. And the devs are currently working on features that will potentially automatically ban violators of the language restrictions when chatting. So they are aware of the issue and working hard to address it when it does occur in those rare instances.

Also, I have no problem reporting those that violate the language restrictions in an abusive way. The report button is there for this very reason. Players shouldn't hessitate to use it when neccessary to alert the devs to a problem player. I hope other players do the same. We all have some responsibility as players to keep this game as the devs intended.

Actona679
04-22-2011, 08:48 AM
In fact, I doubt either could use their Ipod on a regular basis because they are never charged. :)

LOL - That is one of the many terms of my child being able to use iPad. He MUST plug into charger after use! No charge=banned for day! Harsh consequences :)

But there have been several comments about language and chat in the posts that I wanted to address. The "bad" language in my experience is not a common thing and I play a lot. 99% of players seem to use appropriate discretion in what they say in game chat. I think as a whole the community of players is pretty good about this. The chat filters, when enabled, do a pretty good job. While there are always ways around chat filters, this doesn't appear to be a real problem. And the devs are currently working on features that will potentially automatically ban violators of the language restrictions when chatting. So they are aware of the issue and working hard to address it when it does occur in those rare instances.

You know what? I agree with you. I totally forgot about the chat filters (doh!). I had turned them off because they were annoying to me as an adult. I agree with you that they would probably do the job for a 10-year-old that actually listens to his parent still (which mine does). I guess I would change my answer to a YES. I would let him play...with occasional supervision. Of course, he would not be caught dead playing this game. Minecraft is his current obsession :p

Also, I have no problem reporting those that violate the language restrictions in an abusive way. The report button is there for this very reason. Players shouldn't hessitate to use it when neccessary to alert the devs to a problem player. I hope other players do the same. We all have some responsibility as players to keep this game as the devs intended.

I used to just turn a blind eye and think "not my problem; not my kid" until I read a recent comment from someone on this forum. Better to teach the offender a lesson now (assumption that it is young offender), then to have them experience repercussions of inappropriate computer usage on job as an adult. Being banned from a game can teach a lesson; fired from a job will follow you for rest of career.

romgar1
04-22-2011, 08:59 AM
I would let my 10 year old play" with" me but not alone. Sheltering your child from all danger is a good way to get them killed. There are some games more geared for younger kids that have filters, even number filters so you can't give out personal info. I would stick with those games until they were a little older. I don't plan on looking over their shoulder every second. I will however have all instant messaging, Texting, and in game chat logged so I can view it. Yes without their knowledge. Feel free to rant a little about that lol. I want my kids safe but im not going to lock them in a cage to do it.

Rusalio
04-22-2011, 09:01 AM
Right with ya romgar1... :)

costalot
04-22-2011, 09:09 AM
I agree I was just wondering what you guys thought and the whole buying the iPod, or iPad, or SmartPhone just count that out. With the assumption that every child at 10 got an iPod or something like that to play PL what would you do? The sad part is about all the bad chat is that it comes from people around the ages of 13 -14 and they don't care if they get banned or not.

Zeazety
04-22-2011, 09:17 AM
If I could trust my 4 year olds to not break my phone I'd let them farm for me. They can't read anyway.

Rare
04-22-2011, 09:18 AM
If I could trust my 4 year olds to not break my phone I'd let them farm for me. They can't read anyway.

Multiples? Twins? Trips? I know, its off topic.

Sharisiggies
04-22-2011, 09:21 AM
I have a 9 year old BEGGING me to make him a character... But I will not let him play. Kids that age have very addictive personalities and I'd rather he was outside playing baseball, reading a book, doing his schoolwork or just interacting with others his age.

Besides if I let him play... Then I COULDN'T and the iPad is MY toy :D

And I too agree with others, I don't shelter my kids... I watch them closely.... From a distance :D

asommers
04-22-2011, 09:25 AM
I do not recommend it. Minimum age according to the Terms of Service is 13.

-ALS

tarbox3
04-22-2011, 09:30 AM
I will let both of my kids play on iPod touch they are 9 and 11 they both have one. Every kid is different some are more mature at a younger age than others
Both my kids have taken exceptional care of their iPods and my 11 year old is getting a cell phone this month all depends on the kid.

Actona679
04-22-2011, 09:31 AM

-ALS
Interesting...you do know that the rating at the iTunes store is for 9+ I assume?

I really need to read the finer details for Terms of Service!

costalot
04-22-2011, 09:32 AM
I understand that Dev, but in the iTunes store it says 9+ that was kind of why I was confused and made this forum. I'm not a parent but I thought that this would be an interesting topic and am glad that you as a dev take interest into this. Thank you

Zeazety
04-22-2011, 09:32 AM

-ALS

Good idea... I guess making them farm recipes in the deli could violate child labor laws.

Actona679
04-22-2011, 09:34 AM
Good idea... I guess making them farm recipes in the deli could violate child labor laws.

Better to teach them to clean bathrooms and vacuum so that your time is freed up for farming :D

Zeazety
04-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Multiples? Twins? Trips? I know, its off topic.

Steps.

They look close enough so we just tell everyone they are twins... much easier than explaining. Although once after telling someone that they weren't twins the person said to me "Oooooh... one with the wife and one with the girlfriend?".

Zeazety
04-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Better to teach them to clean bathrooms and vacuum so that your time is freed up for farming :D

They are pretty good at cleaning when you micromanage it for them. Simply saying "clean your room" usually results in someone washing the carpet with toothpaste or deciding the books on the shelf look better as steps to the bed.

Rare
04-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Steps.

They look close enough so we just tell everyone they are twins... much easier than explaining. Although once after telling someone that they weren't twins the person said to me "Oooooh... one with the wife and one with the girlfriend?".

Ahh I see. I have 1 year old twins with twins on the way. Thank God for PL. my 360 and wii havent been turned on in almost 8 months.

Physiologic
04-22-2011, 10:06 AM
This site is intended for individuals over the age of 13. Any information collected is intended to be of individuals over the age of 13. According to the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (also known as COPPA), our site does NOT cater to children. "Operators of commercial websites or online services directed to children under 13 that collect personal information from children" require a COPPA agreement and privacy policy. Since we do not cater to this age group, no COPPA compliance exists on the Site.

LADYHADASSA
04-22-2011, 10:19 AM
The issue here should not be a question about pl as a whole. Though there are some moments vulger usage of words occure, i see this occure the MOST from the games youth who, find swearing and sexual things to be funny or cool.

I personaly feel that pl has the best protection in place when it comes to on line youth protection, the report player and ability to e mail ss to the dev team works and works well, many of these players are banned the expicit ones are terminated via devise not just e mail, this group of devs do NOT tolerate the behavior spoken of here, to further that their implimentation on computerized silences, and accou t suspension, (curentley in works) this will weed out many of the players who make pl a challange for youth in the community. Though some other players may receive treatment of silance and bans, i am confident the devs will look at cases as they arise.

The subject here is really, should a ten year old play any of these interactive games.. Having played in other games that parents might feel are ok for kids, they are very wrong some games should be rated R verging on X. These games do not have developers who are as convicted as pl devs to keep pl open to people of all ages. One solution to this in pl is.. Parents attain log in and passwords for childrens accounts, if they have infact purchased an i pod,phone or pad for their child ( pc's) as well. In pl make the game a family affair, meaning you can play when i am available, allowing you to report players that are not being appropriate, speak in main room so your child can see you stand on what you have taught them. We can not protect our children from all this is impossible in the day we live in, somone here said our children hear worse in school, this is very true and out in the communities we live. Parents need to educate their children.

The best part of youth in pl is when i stand in forest haven and a youngmplayer begins to speak to a player who is perverse or cussing, these chikdren respond to the players as they where taught to " pleas dont speak like that" and "everyone report that player!" the youth ban together and begin hitting report and ignore. Guss what parents job well done your children have it!! :)

I know of several 12 and under players on pl, as the "olders" in the game.. Bringing your parenting skills and communications to the game, encourages the behavior that is positive, if no one speaks up and you do on the main boards a rally of players begin to echo repot that player and put them on your ignore list, and this works! Many youngmplayers have given me thanks for saying somthing saying your cool ! Or thank you. So parents are responsible but if they are not there adopt an attitude of if he/she where mine i would.....

Just my thoughts :)

Zeazety
04-22-2011, 10:21 AM
Ahh I see. I have 1 year old twins with twins on the way. Thank God for PL. my 360 and wii havent been turned on in almost 8 months.

I hear you... I couldn't imagine two sets of twins although with our luck that is probably what will happen.

HorizonSon
04-22-2011, 10:25 AM
For me, the answer is easy... No 10yo of mine would even have a cell phone to play the game on... In fact; I find the censorship of PL quite annoying, ridiculous and highly unwarranted... If a parent thinks their child is responsible enough to have a cell phone (especially one with data service); conversation in PL should be the least of their worries...

asommers
04-22-2011, 10:27 AM
I understand that Dev, but in the iTunes store it says 9+ that was kind of why I was confused and made this forum. I'm not a parent but I thought that this would be an interesting topic and am glad that you as a dev take interest into this. Thank you

In a way, we don't have control over how the iTunes store rates us. We answer a few questions: Is there sexual content, realistic violence, gambling, etc. Based on our answers, we get the 9+ rating.

-ALS

costalot
04-22-2011, 10:42 AM
In a way, we don't have control over how the iTunes store rates us. We answer a few questions: Is there sexual content, realistic violence, gambling, etc. Based on our answers, we get the 9+ rating.

-ALS
I see so the iTunes rating is based on just gameplay and not the player interaction. Where as the rating in terms of service, is based on both. Is that correct?

Wushu
04-22-2011, 11:05 AM
I am going to agree and disagree...

Personally, I think anything that allows the ability to interact and communicate with total, faceless strangers isn't ment for kids.

Yes-- especially unsupervised interactions. As an example, I setup a separate PC for my oldest kid which allows him access to to the internet, but it's in our study with the screen easily visible to anyone walking by the study, or in the study. He knows to check with me (or Mom) before clicking onto any new website we haven't reviewed yet. Moreover, I installed appropriate software/security on that machine for logging activity and it has nothing on it of any importance.

Think of it this way. YOU'RE the parent, not me. YOU'RE responsible for what YOUR child is exposed to. And if YOU want to let YOUR child loose into something that's easily comparable to an all-access bar, then go right ahead. But I shouldn't be held accountable for any of the liquor talk little Billy decides to engulf from my cap loose mind, and re-purge onto your lap.

I agree with the parental responsibility -- however, I will challenge you on the classifying the environment as an "all-access bar". For instance, If you paid to get into Disney World and exhibited drunk and disorderly behavior, you would definitely be escorted out (and not get your money refunded). I believe STS has made it clear that Pocket Legends leans more towards the "Disney World" environment and not the "all-access bar" environment.

On the flipside, now that I have kids, I certainly don't go to certain restaurants/bars anymore with the family, because it's simply inappropriate. When I do get to go out on a date night with the wife, we specifically choose to go to those restaurants.

Back to the OP's original question -- I probably wouldn't let my 10-year old kid play unsupervised, anymore than I would let him go hang out with his friends at a public park without any adult supervision.

costalot
04-22-2011, 11:16 AM
I understand what your getting it at I don't have a child I'm just trying to get everyone's opinion. I just thought that the game being 9+ rated in iTunes (come to find out that its actually 13 up) what was your take on it.

Kraze
04-22-2011, 03:21 PM
So uh how many threads like this are you going to make? I won't let my nieces and nephews play for 2 reasons. 1 they are clubmsy lil monsters. 2 There is no reason for them to be interacting with strangers online. Just because your willing to let PL be a babysitter don't try to destroy fun for others

Conradin
04-22-2011, 03:41 PM
I started RS when i was like 8, i thunk i turned out ok. Ofc im just a teen now but when i am a adult my answer to this wpuld be yes. IF my kid had an ipod touch and IF he/she wanted to play A online game. I think it would be better to teach thrm about PL, have limited play time, and have chat filters/chat turned off. I would play PL with my kid (for short amounts of time, 1 hour for ex.) So then they could have fun and you could moniter. If their RL friends played i would also let them play with thwm becuase it wouldnt be with strangers.