View Full Version : Game Outage - Pocket Legends is UP!

Pages : 1 [2]

MrZeke
04-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Common Amazon!! We the people need our PL!!

SnipeAce
04-22-2011, 04:40 PM
Any min now right? Cant wait to see 4k user long in the same time.

Jaaziki
04-22-2011, 04:42 PM
sigh...are we there yet?

chemicalBREAK
04-22-2011, 04:44 PM
Lab time! Alright, kids, here's what I want you to do:

Take a large file, saaaaay, 7 gigs or so. Move it from one drive on your computer to another. How long did it take? A minute and a half? Three minutes?

How much space do you suppose 7 gigs is compared to what Amazon stores? How many moves and removes and unmoves do you suppose these guys are doing to fix the issue? What sort of other operations do you suppose they're doing? Don't know about you, but I bet even with every Amazon employee past, present, and future on it, they would still be limited by the system. Download Dungeon Defenders or something. Watch a movie. Go play in traffic. "Caaaar. Game oooon."

Everyone is doing what they can; this has been said and said again. If STS plans to compensate for time down, that's great, but the fact of the matter is, they don't owe us a thing. Leave it. STS is not responsible for what's going on. Leave it. STS can only pester Amazon. They have no further control over the situation. Leave it.

As for me? http://uloops.net/profile/The+White+Lady

This is how I'll be passing the time. Check out these apps to kill the meantime:

UniWar - Turn-based strategy with single and multiplayer.
Speedx 3D - Fast-paced test of reflexes and coordination using your phone's accelerometer.
Angry Birds - Game of strategy and coordination. Fling the birds to remove the pigs!
Cordy - Cute game. Play as Cordy the robot to charge up the doors to the next level.
Dungeon Defenders - 3D wave defense game with a class-based system. Very fun; requires high-end phone.
Gun Bros - Still very new so many features disabled, but top-down shoot'em up fun for the whole family.
ULoops Studio - Full-feature music production suite. The link above is my page.

PL being down sucks, but there are other things we can do to kill the time, guys. Let's just be patient; the wonderful men and women at STS and Amazon (yes, Amazon is still wonderful - Cloud computing is new and things like this happen) are doing everything they can.

waisted menkey
04-22-2011, 04:45 PM
sigh...are we there yet?

Are we still on the freeway, or are we pulling into the driveway. Don't make me tell you again.

anezeudacen
04-22-2011, 04:45 PM
Former Wizard, Cleric from the Omens of War and Dragons of Norrath age, but I started once planes of power came out.

anezeudacen
04-22-2011, 04:47 PM
It would be cool if they implemented some type of system like the AA's from everquest 1 so level 56 players had something to strive for.

MrZeke
04-22-2011, 04:47 PM
Well i've been playing DH2 and its already getting boring!!

Rare
04-22-2011, 04:51 PM
again ...my point exactly.....

there wasn't much of a point. Sayarn said "number of players" and "half buy plat". So... how many players? 10000? Half buy plat? How much? $50 each (I think that's high)?

So.. we have 250k? How many people work for STS? How much do they already pay for hosting? What about other costs (software licensing for dev)? So how much does that leave over?

Redbridge
04-22-2011, 04:56 PM
If anything Amazon should have had the East cloud and the West cloud mirrored, so if there was a site crash the other site would be able to balance the load, even if its on the other coast and the ping would be higher it would still work :)

This has nothing to do with patience, even if the game is down all night or all weekend it does not matter to me. It just questions how loyal STS is to us the customer. They do a great job, and the game is a hit, but I guess I just expected more from a customer service type position from them.

confused.com

You talk about customer service and network resilience like they are the same thing......

I know a little about both and whilst they are a little connected in this case they are separate entities...

Network resilience was in place, there were backups, and backups of backups (I think that what one poster called it) But they all failed. What you are talking about is full seperation, the type of thing you get for stock exchanges, emergency services, etc..... Costs lots of money but is expected (and costed in) in those instances, as its life of death or millions of pounds... Neither applies here...

Outages happen and all STS can be expected to do is manage our expectations as best they can with what they have got (I believe they have done that). In return it is our job as a customers to be realistic in our expectations.

As an Diagnostics Engineer for large Global Networks I'm not sure there is anything more that can be done that STS haven't already done. Their comms streams are regularly being updated and they have even given us the links to the Amazon dashboard itself....

Finally re: their Customer Service, I'm not sure I have ever been better treated as a customer. Which is more than can be said for the customers of Sony's Playstation Network following this outage.

Its just a game, after all....... Isn't it? And from the reaction (good and bad) a very very popular one too.... They must be doing something right.

If I was STS, I'd be worried if there wasn't this kind of reaction, as this shows they are clearly heading in the right direction, doesn't it?

whooaahh
04-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Gaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!

::throws lamp across room::
::stomps feet on the floor::
Stupid Amazon!!
::kicks couch::

"I wanna play PL, and I wanna play NOW!!!

SnipeAce
04-22-2011, 04:59 PM
there wasn't much of a point. Sayarn said "number of players" and "half buy plat". So... how many players? 10000? Half buy plat? How much? $50 each (I think that's high)?

So.. we have 250k? How many people work for STS? How much do they already pay for hosting? What about other costs (software licensing for dev)? So how much does that leave over?

Dont forget about advertising both ways.

Apostel
As for me? http://uloops.net/profile/The+White+Lady

some really nice tracks. gonna load few on my android phone

Wolfling
Ummmm, nothing against PL... but any of you ever hear about this amazing place....? it's called outside? ;) might be stuff to do out there also! PL will come back online eventually, but until then how about doing something interesting? (this does not mean sitting on a chat/forum waiting for a downed system to start back up...)

SiX
04-22-2011, 05:02 PM
Ummmm, nothing against PL... but any of you ever hear about this amazing place....? it's called outside? ;) might be stuff to do out there also! PL will come back onlin when it does, but until then how about doing something interesting? (this does not mean sitting on a chat/forum waiting for a downed system to start back up...

Pot, meet kettle, kettle, pot

Kindread
I work for Software as Services co in Australia, one of the lessons we have learnt early, is that you need disaster recovery plan. You need have a back up cloud server provider, even if the main provider is an IT giant like Amazon. The time for us to switch to provider 2 is like 10 min at max if provider 1 went down.

It's great that you're in the same field and have an understanding of cloud computing in Austrailia, but that doesn't mean that you completely understand the situation at hand here with Amazon Web Services. I asked my buddy who is in the cloud computing industry with clients on this same EC2 setup, why they just switch servers or have multiple cloud providers as a fail safe. What he told me was that Amazon wraps their customers up pretty tightly and their customers have to go through difficult protocols just to switch their providers if something happens.

The thing is it costs alot of money to have the backup plans setup. STS is only a year old and has grown tremendously only recently. Cinco did mention that they were planning to address the growth of the company and re-evaluating their cloud service in another thread prior to this crash. The thing is, cloud computing isn't supposed to crash like this. It's meant to have redundancies to compensate for a failure at a data center which makes it a bad on Amazon. Yeah it would be great to have a backup data center setup like Netflix did but shoot that's megagiant Netflix. Alot of bigtime websites and companies with much more money than STS went down with this crash as well. They didn't even have backup plans. Money. You guys can be armchair CEOs at home in front of your computers calculating the number of players and average platinum purchases but in reality, you know jack so don't point fingers.

Fissurez
I'm new to this game (like the day before the outage new) and I have to say (minus a few very small cases of impatience and sarchasm) I am very impressed at how little negative responses there are to the developer and how well the maker of PL is handling this situation. Well done to all of you, you are brilliant advertisements to this game and community.

I think I'm going to enjoy hanging around here for a while....

Redbridge
Ummmm, nothing against PL... but any of you ever hear about this amazing place....? it's called outside? ;) might be stuff to do out there also! PL will come back onlin when it does, but until then how about doing something interesting? (this does not mean sitting on a chat/forum waiting for a downed system to start back up...

LOL - I ventured into RL yesterday and found I had a wife and kids!!! There were neighbours and shops, and all sorts of other mad things..... I've even got a motorbike!!! I've always wanted one of them.....

Might not have time for PL, what with my new life..... LOL

Charmingx
04-22-2011, 05:03 PM
Whats the latest news?

How many hours will it cost before we can play again?

Samhayne
04-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Soon my friends - the server lives and will return to your good graces very soon!

Dartagnian
04-22-2011, 05:05 PM
Pot, meet kettle, kettle, pot

Eloquently put.

Dyclonious
04-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Until God shows his guidance to amazon and friends, check out this game on the android market to get ur fix.

Project INF Beta

Zeus
Awesome Samhayne! Maybe all the trolls will get off facebook now! (Myself included)

Apostel
Wooohooooo!!!

Dartagnian
Soon my friends - the server lives and will return to your good graces very soon!

omgomgomg!

(breaks out in a cold sweat)

Lady Zindra
I think we all need a update on how much longer.

Charmingx
04-22-2011, 05:08 PM
@samhayne: thnx for answering.

Ill keep my fingers crossed...

Cotillon
Pl is online!

Lady Zindra
Oh yea dev posted as I was posting good to hear such good news.

chemicalBREAK
omgomgomgomgomgomgomgomgomg
http://i.imgur.com/daipA.jpg

Samhayne
04-22-2011, 05:09 PM
Pocket Legends is up and available for play. LOG IN AND HAVE FUN!

A big Thank You to everyone for sticking with us and for your patience! We love y'all!