PDA

View Full Version : Would You Guys....?

xRaNdU
04-22-2011, 10:56 AM
Okay, since Blackstar is coming soon, and I just heard about this a couple of weeks ago and I'm starting to read more and more into it. Would people pay for a monthly playing fee? Say... $10? Because most of us paying players on PL have spent more than $10 in a month, at least I have. I know some of the people now are just playing because the 2week free on all the dungeons, and as soon as that is over, the number of players will probably go way down. I know this might push people away, but I would do it. This game isn't really my thing but I'm going to give it a try since I'm addicted to pL and hopefully it will be the same just about. Not all really into the whole space sci-fi thing. But it has the whole MMORPG thing going so I'll give it a shot. Just wondering what your thoughts were, would you "Pay to play"?

Major
04-22-2011, 11:00 AM
I dunno yet, i wouldn't be to happy with a monthly fee at all. I mean i do spend like around 10$ on PL a month, but it makes you feel more free not having to worry about paying every single month. If the game was truly unreal then ya i probably would pay it lol.

Lesrider
04-22-2011, 11:01 AM
No way would I pay $10 a month for an iPhone game.

xRaNdU
04-22-2011, 11:04 AM
Lol well that's what I was thinking, but instead of having to buy $10 plat a month for rare items and unlockable dungeons, we just get them for free or at a very reduced price. Like I said i'm not into the whole sci-fi space thing especially with these screen shots I dont think gives it much justice, but i'd probably pay for the first month just to see. It really reminds me of Phantasy Star Universe I used to play on the 360. It was fun for a while, but if there's not PvP in this game, it has no chance.

xRaNdU
04-22-2011, 11:06 AM
But people pay idk how much for WoW, IMO, the only thing better on WoW is better customization and tons and tons of more weapons/armors and that type of thing.

ratava
04-22-2011, 11:06 AM
I would happily pay for B*. Not that it being free-to-download (with microtransactions) aka "Freemium" app will stop me. I think the quality will be several notches up and I think people will be happy to pay a bit more actually. But given it will be freemium, everyone will be happy that way so it's a wise choice by STS.

Edit: OP have you got a link to PSO, why does it look like that? Also, I am not a sci-fi nut either but this might convert me!

Edit2: @ Kaotix: They've already confirmed it will be "Free-to-download" aka Freemium just like PL. :) so no worries, but I think B* is going to be epic in terms of more RPG-story cool areas... ;)

KaotiicxDream
04-22-2011, 11:10 AM
If any of the STS games started costing a monthly fee I would be forced to quit :-(

I've been playing PL for over 4 months nearly 5.. I've spend $9.99 until now but I will soon spend another $19.99... that's still $10 less than if I should pay $10 pr. month...

xRaNdU
04-22-2011, 11:18 AM
If any of the STS games started costing a monthly fee I would be forced to quit :-(

I've been playing PL for over 4 months nearly 5.. I've spend $9.99 until now but I will soon spend another $19.99... that's still $10 less than if I should pay $10 pr. month...

yea but still, like i said the game would lose few players, but most of the original and loyal players to STS would pay. They would have money to update everything and not do stupid things like make elixers cost money over a year into the game and things like that. Everything would be either for gold or very very low platinum.

Lesrider
04-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Well, put it this way -- it would make it very easy for me to quit PL and never play B*. I wouldn't even pay for one month if there were monthly fees. I have enough monthly fees to pay in my life, and I'm not adding an iPhone game to the list.

ratava
04-22-2011, 11:26 AM
yea but still, like i said the game would lose few players, but most of the original and loyal players to STS would pay. They would have money to update everything and not do stupid things like make elixers cost money over a year into the game and things like that. Everything would be either for gold or very very low platinum.

It's interesting you are asking about this because Order&Chaos have not announced their pricing policy yet. Are mobile users prepared to start paying subs? Apple is introducing in-app subscriptions soon as well. <.<

I think for a lot, they are not. I personally like the Freemium model as it allows you to pay as much as you want to for what you want to. But if B* is really a step up in quality I could pay a small monthly fee for it. Not as much as a normal PC sub but it'd be negotiable :)

Varking
04-22-2011, 11:29 AM
Would I pay monthly for it? Yes, if the first three months were free as a true MMORPG trial. One month usually isn't enough time. Will we be asked to pay monthly? Nope. Spacetime already said it will follow the same exact business model as PL.

xRaNdU
04-22-2011, 11:31 AM
This is just a question, no need to get hostile with the thread creator, I'm just wondering if this game would be some sort of mini WoW

ratava
04-22-2011, 11:38 AM
This is just a question, no need to get hostile with the thread creator, I'm just wondering if this game would be some sort of mini WoW

You might have misread... just stating in case it was uncertain speculation: See compilation of FAQ for B*

9) Will the game continue the current pay model of Pocket Legends?

Yep!

Same pricing model, same plat applies to both games. (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?19023-Blackstar-FAQ-%28-What-we-know-as-we-find-out-%29&p=201478&viewfull=1#post201478)

I think O&C will be a mini-wow... ;)

FluffNStuff
04-22-2011, 11:42 AM
Would I pay monthly, no.

KaotiicxDream
04-22-2011, 12:38 PM

Ya I know.. But I love PL and hopefully also B* when it comes out but I would extremely sad if I needed to quit cuz I couldn't pay the monthly fee..

If there should be a monthly fee everything should be free. Such as Vanity and Faces...

ratava
04-22-2011, 12:44 PM
You know it would be interesting if the devs keep B* as Freemium but with an optional in-app sub:

“Our philosophy is simple—when Apple brings a new subscriber to the app, Apple earns a 30 percent share; when the publisher brings an existing or new subscriber to the app, the publisher keeps 100 percent and Apple earns nothing,” said Steve Jobs (http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2011/02/15appstore.html), Apple’s CEO. “All we require is that, if a publisher is making a subscription offer outside of the app, the same (or better) offer be made inside the app, so that customers can easily subscribe with one-click right in the app. We believe that this innovative subscription service will provide publishers with a brand new opportunity to expand digital access to their content onto the iPad, iPod touch and iPhone, delighting both new and existing subscribers.”

Oc, that's only on iOS...

Raazesk
04-22-2011, 01:16 PM
I would pay for it, or to purchase all of the campaigns like on PL, but I would not pay a monthly fee.

ratava
04-22-2011, 01:20 PM
I would pay for it, or to purchase all of the campaigns like on PL, but I would not pay a monthly fee.

I keep making comments here, so I'll finish up by saying, "You say that now, but will you say that when you have seen/played B*, is the $$ question?!" ;)

CORNDAGMAN
04-22-2011, 01:33 PM
Are they putting the 10$ fee on PL???

Lesrider
04-22-2011, 01:41 PM
I keep making comments here, so I'll finish up by saying, "You say that now, but will you say that when you have seen/played B*, is the $$ question?!" ;)

Some people have more willpower than others.

spookytooth
04-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Are they putting the 10$ fee on PL???

No they are not, and i dont think i would pay 10 a month for a phone game. Those are pc/console prices

xyoz
04-22-2011, 01:58 PM
i would not pay $10 dollars a month for a game sorry, the commitment is what gets me. the only thing i pay monthly is a phone bill right now and i dont plan on having any other commitments.

Klemen
04-22-2011, 02:06 PM
If id have to pay a fee, i rather play WOW then.

Raazesk
04-22-2011, 06:36 PM
I keep making comments here, so I'll finish up by saying, "You say that now, but will you say that when you have seen/played B*, is the $$ question?!"
lol, probably. I don't think any game would be good enough for me to pay a monthly fee, unless it was only $1. I'm pretty cheap.

ratava
04-23-2011, 07:45 AM
lol, probably. I don't think any game would be good enough for me to pay a monthly fee, unless it was only $1. I'm pretty cheap.

Game on! Perhaps it's "the $ quesion?!" lol? I'm also cheap that's why I'm playing mobile mmo: Just as fun but cheap as chips! ;)

Put it this way, (if you are listening devs) if the iOS in-app service is integrated and the option available ie automatic new content at 75% rrp at launch eg by paying a sub (+ some extras that don't interfere with gameplay is essential) it would ease some of the constant assessment the devs need to do to monetize and give them more time to work on content... I'm confident B* will be worth it.

Afterall: It will be a much cheaper rate than a normal sub and it would probably be marginally more than in-app purchases or actually marginally savings on in-app time@purchase?

Think about it: They have one and a half year's content lined-up already... (I'm confident I'll gobble all that up and it will still be cheap/optional per month or few months but with savings)

edit: Brain-wave: Or in-app sub option would provide these players with first/early access to new content and/or cumulative discount?!

Anoushka
04-26-2011, 01:26 AM
Well said. I think a monthly fee is counter-intuitive, in that if you are trying to introduce more players across the globe, you will disenfranchise a large percentage of your young players who probably don't have access to ready monthly money. You also make the game elitist which I think is a bad thing. I enjoy meeting people from all walks of life on PL and if you start to impose a monthly fee then you know what will happen to those that can't afford it. You create a barrier to participation. Down with fees I say.

F1zzzzp0p
04-26-2011, 01:32 AM
It shodnt be monthly it should be Like a iPhone app where u buy for $10 and that's it