PDA

View Full Version : Regarding Auto Mutes and Auto Bans for Offensive or Vulgar Chat.

Samhayne
04-22-2011, 09:44 PM
We recently implemented a system where swearing or saying other very vulgar statements will cause your chat to be auto muted. If you are auto muted several times over the course of a day the system will auto ban you for 24 hours.

Should you find that you are auto muted because of what you chatted in game, we would ask that you stop and reflect on what you are saying. Please keep in mind that offensive or vulgar chat is in violation of the Pocket Legends Terms of Service (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?11694-Pocket-Legends-Terms-of-Service).

We log everything this new chat system does. We are looking at it very closely to fine tune it. As asommers said in an earlier post (http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?23892-Inappropriate-chat-auto-muting-and-auto-banning&p=275693#post275693):

For every feature we add we go through the same thing. We'll tweak it. If you see a word that shouldn't be allowed, let us know. If you see a word that should be on the list, let us know. I can't help auto-correct. Make sure your chat says what you want before you hit enter. For words used mostly in a negative manner, they will be on the list.

Like the GCD, the mute filter will be a tremendous help to our Customer Service workload and is here to stay.

-ALS

We value our customers tremendously. We know that this system will need some tweaking, as ALS outlines above. Also, we feel strongly, for example, that some jerk should not be able to make a free account, log into Forest Haven and start spouting filth and directly impacting our other customers play experience.

As always, thank you very much for your understanding, for your patronage and for your enthusiasm for Pocket Legends.

JaytB
04-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Thx for keeping us updated :)

Junside
04-22-2011, 09:48 PM
What if I said Japanese multiple times? Or is there a warning when I get muted? This system is kinda flawed. Though, I understand that it's something to make your workload much easier and free for other issues.

Beanmachine
04-22-2011, 09:50 PM
Can we at least have a special FREE emote or reply that indicates we are muted to people who try to talk to us please?
I dont want a good trade gone down the drain cause they didnt answer or they thought I ignored them.

Thanks devs

Kossi
04-22-2011, 09:50 PM
I made a private game and swore once to test it
And i got muted

Does it add up or reset over a day?
Its a good thing i dont even swear irl

JaytB
04-22-2011, 09:51 PM
Can we at least have a special FREE emote or reply that indicates we are muted to people who try to talk to us please?
I dont want a good trade gone down the drain cause they didnt answer or they thought I ignored them.

Thanks devs

I agree that some kind of indicator would be very useful :)

Beanmachine
04-22-2011, 09:52 PM
I agree that some kind of indicator would be very useful :)

I was thinking maybe the emote could be your toon zipping up his mouth shut:)

Lesrider
04-22-2011, 10:34 PM
Are people really being muted for saying "hell" and "sucks?"
This will lead to a very quiet game.

asommers
04-22-2011, 10:37 PM

I take it you didn't try it.

-ALS

Physiologic
04-22-2011, 10:40 PM

I'm gonna risk a ban and just isolate myself to a locked game and see what's good and what's not good (cept the obvious vulgar ones).

Junside
04-22-2011, 10:59 PM
You can get muted/banned for saying flamer...

Physiologic
04-22-2011, 11:00 PM
I think "damn it" is going a bit too far.

Herb
04-23-2011, 01:45 AM
Yes, this just happened to me... :(

Herb
04-23-2011, 01:53 AM
For lack of a better word, this is asinine.

I just learned about this when my bird waved at a bear and got flame bunny ears. Being the conscientious player that I am, I private messages him, saying "Thanks for the flamers."

Harmless enough one would think.

I had to spend the next five minutes in silence in the corner for this gentle bit of humor. And, for the record, I am gay myself, so...

It seems the developers are sending some mixed messages. We can buy a "fart and puke pack" and celebrate their low brow humor, but heaven forbid we try to be clever or kind in our commentary to one another.

If Big Brother is watching like this, I and my flamer friends will take our business elsewhere.

Really.

karmakali
04-23-2011, 03:20 AM
I said "da**" and got a 5 minute auto mute. It was the longest 5 minutes of my life....I am not the quiet type ;)
This seems a bit excessive. You have said your lowest age suggested is 13yo. Have you guys seen a PG-13 movie lately? The language is far above and beyond some words people are being banned for.
I am all for providing a non vulgar atmosphere but this may be a bit excessive.
Just my opinion....now that I can speak ;)
Please reconsider this. Moderators may be a more effective tool.
Of note...my word was said in private chat to another adult player. There was no complaint from either party involved in the conversation.

Lesrider
04-23-2011, 03:24 AM
I take it you didn't try it.

-ALS

Nope, not interested in testing out words others claim are getting them in trouble. Others have been quite ridiculous, so not taking anything for granted.

JaytB
04-23-2011, 03:26 AM
Fl*mers... D*mn... I didn't even know these were bad words to be honest. Are these really included in the small list of seriously offensive words? Mm, I'm starting to think that a list, even if it was on some external site, could come in really handy after all. If only it was to educate us non-English speaking peeps.

pixie
04-23-2011, 04:47 AM
This Big-Brother-Watching-Over-Me has been taken far to far.

Filtering should/could be made optional.

P.S. I've never got banned, and I never will, because from now on, I will never chat again!!

LAME!!!

:mad::mad::mad:

Slush
04-23-2011, 04:58 AM
This Big-Brother-Watching-Over-Me has been taken far to far.

Filtering should/could be made optional.

It is optional, just go to options. However, yes, this really has been taken too far in my opinion.

Xomak
04-23-2011, 04:58 AM
I am very happy about this. It's something that helps protect the younger players while getting the older players to keep a mindful eye on their own language. Is it possible to tweak it so that it recognizes combinations of words to avoid the single word snare? It's tricky to try to catch everything. I've been working on cleaning up my language anyway. Maybe it could give an auto-warning first? It's trial & error with something like this,but I see the path,& I believe we're all with you. Thanks,Devs!

pixie
04-23-2011, 05:06 AM
It is optional, just go to options. However, yes, this really has been taken too far in my opinion.

No it's not. You can turn off the chat filter, but you will still get banned/muted.

Slush
04-23-2011, 05:13 AM
No it's not. You can turn off the chat filter, but you will still get banned/muted.

That's what I meant.

superglut2
04-23-2011, 08:51 AM
Sounds good.

Chuck norris
04-23-2011, 09:04 AM
The swearing update is a good idea im not gonna' argue about that but i just got banned for 24 hours because i said "damn" one time, even with filter off, if you are gonna' keep this update you should make it so if u have filter off you can swear to an extent.. Or atleast tone it down a little bit because everybody in this game is going to say something that isnt appropiate at least once in the duration that they play this game untill they quit..

Herb
04-23-2011, 09:19 AM
Happy happy joy joy. Life is perfect in this beautiful land. I take my pills and clean my plate. I always wait patiently in line and enjoy being reprimanded if I should happen to have an original thought. I will always pray and vote Republican. Only naughty elves say bad words.

Snakeyez
04-23-2011, 09:23 AM
I personally think its rediculous, im sorry but 13 year olds dont have credit cards, its the adults that pay the pocket legends staff to continue running this game. I agree that words that are too vulgar shouldnt be allowed, but thats why theres a filter. Like someone said earlier if im talking to another adult who is in no way affected by what I may say than why should I be muted. I love this game and so I spend my $ on it to support, but you guys keep shooting yourselves in the foot

Pmilo
04-23-2011, 09:46 AM
Just got banned 24 hours for saying damn!!....Awesome Job PL!!

Tiliana
04-23-2011, 09:48 AM
Is it really a big deal to keep your typing clean? Slips of the tongue is one thing out of (bad) habits, but to type an inappropriate word makes it very intentional and therefore you can stop yourself before it starts. There are other words to express yourself. Cmon people. Lets all try to be civilized. Not just for the kids but for each other.

karmakali
04-23-2011, 09:49 AM
Can we have an adult area? Not talking about mages on stripper poles and an ice bar or anything but perhaps an over 18 area with slightly more lax rules?
As an adult I do care about the enviroment kids are in but there is a limit to how much the general population should have to adapt to censor the mouths of a few.
Although there are many kids in this game...there are alot adults as well. Please find another solution.
Either way- thanks for listening :)

Aerospacegod
04-23-2011, 09:51 AM
I think the point is they may upset a few adults for a few mins but realize a large part of the players are not over 18. PL may have 50000 players(guessing here), but the goal is likely for it to be 5million within a few years. To get to that size it must be seen as a "safe" community where parents don't need to worry about what king of language their kids might see.

Although I do sometimes swear I'm pretty sure most adults would agree you don't need to swear to get your point across.

Keep that in mind as you play and you'll be fine, if you get muted for 5mins grab a coffee and return to your game.

Edit: Had another thought, since PL hasn't and likely won't make a list of banned terms how about we some how post one offsite? At least the terms that are not obvious so we can avoid them.

Colborne
04-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Poop is a bad word that gets u banned!!!! This is going a little too far:(

Herb
04-23-2011, 11:09 AM
Ban the f word? Fine, I agree. But typos and things out of context? Dum. D U M. Dum.

Herb
04-23-2011, 11:10 AM
Poop will get you muted but they sell fart packs? Hypocrites!

Lesrider
04-23-2011, 11:10 AM

You sure? I said it last night and just got censored, not muted. I found it odd that it was even censored, considering I'm surrounded by people puking and farting.

And... With people pooping Peeps now, what do you expect?

Colborne
04-23-2011, 11:20 AM
You sure? I said it last night and just got censored, not muted. I found it odd that it was even censored, considering I'm surrounded by people puking and farting.

And... When people are pooping Peeps now, what do you expect?

Yes a friend of mine was playin with me and died from a sewer drain and said poop. He was muted for five min. If u do this too many times u get banned 24 hrs. I think that's takin a little too far. Ban the hate mongers not the guys who slip up:(

asommers
04-23-2011, 11:46 AM

This misinformation does not help your case.

-ALS

Colborne
04-23-2011, 12:03 PM
This misinformation does not help your case.

-ALS

I don't think I understand... Just sayin that with fart packs and puke packs. U should be able to say words like poop.

skavenger216
04-23-2011, 12:49 PM
I don't think I understand... Just sayin that with fart packs and puke packs. U should be able to say words like poop.

I hate to say it, but I agree. Kind of messed up imo. I really hope poop isn't on the list, I use it all the time :( that, and " oh poo" lol

NECROREAPER
04-23-2011, 02:27 PM
I just got muted for saying bugger -.-

Snakeyez
04-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Here is a better idea, make certain words always filtered, **** or &$#@, something like that, so no matter if filter is turned on or off those words stay filtered, and less vulgar words (damn or poop, etc.) Can be optionally allowed by the filter.. That way if ur filters on u see absolutely no curses and if off minor ones.. That way everyone is happy. I dont know who the main brain behind the changes are but may I suggest demoting them to another area because they are driving this game to the ground.

noobmigo
04-23-2011, 03:40 PM
This may not be "constructive" or whatever, but WTF (!) Anyway, this is really stupid. (I hope that's note an auto-mute) My effing god, maybe you should have a tutorial about how to turn filter on. If a 5 year old kid turns on filter just cuz he needs to hear some cuss words, that's his problem. IF you feel uncomfortable, just turn the fudging filter on! If you know what the asteriks mean, then that means YOU, not US, taught you those werdy derdys.
That was for /vent.

In short, in a "constructive" manner, this is what I meant. If say...a 5 year old turned off filter, he would most likely KNOW that it would allow certain werdy derdies to get in his head. If you are worried about them accidents, then make a tutorial like this. "If you are 12 or younger, turn on your chat filter, just in case. Blah Blah Blah. You get the point." I mean, the filter was just fine. Turn on filter and the F werd looks like ****. If you are younger than 13, and you know what **** stands for, that means it is NOT our fault that he knows that bad word. Why punish our auto-correct for some lame 13 year old who wants to giggle at 9 o' clock PM in bed hiding from his momma? (That was not constructive soz)

That is all.

Herb
04-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Keep a record and let players report when they are offended by others. This auto muting is ridiculous when transgressions are minor, mistaken, and offensive to no one. $#!+

Colborne
04-24-2011, 11:02 AM
I agree. I'm getting muted for slip ups and typos. And stupid words like poop that shouldn't even be on list. This isn't makin game fun. The little people that dot like it should have forced chat filter. U should have to enter ur birthday and if ur younger than 18 u have no choice to ncheck ur filter. Til u turn 18 then ur filter becomes active to where u can change it. Anyone under 18 should automatically have filter on them. And adult should be able to unfilter!!

Jirsted
04-24-2011, 03:20 PM
Keep a record and let players report when they are offended by others. This auto muting is ridiculous when transgressions are minor, mistaken, and offensive to no one. $#!+

I second this.

I personally sent an e-mail to PL asking for my money back because that's how ridiculous I think this chat filter is.

I don't play with random people, I play with a group of friends only. If we can't talk how we want to each other, well... that's ****ing retarded.

Not everyone who plays PL is playing on Mommy's iPhone. :rolleyes:

kallima
04-24-2011, 03:29 PM
I agree. I'm getting muted for slip ups and typos. And stupid words like poop that shouldn't even be on list. This isn't makin game fun. The little people that dot like it should have forced chat filter. U should have to enter ur birthday and if ur younger than 18 u have no choice to ncheck ur filter. Til u turn 18 then ur filter becomes active to where u can change it. Anyone under 18 should automatically have filter on them. And adult should be able to unfilter!!

Kids have a tendency to lie about age.

Colborne
04-25-2011, 08:02 AM
Kids have a tendency to lie about age.

Well then those kids probably already know what swear words are. And probably use them on a regular basis. Everybody shouldn't pay the price for some stupid kid that thinks he's cool lying bout his age then complaining about the adults. Get a life!!!!!! I just wanna play and talk with my friends. I don't think we should be banned for having private games and talking the way we do in those private games!!!!

lilbyrdie
04-25-2011, 09:21 AM

This was already how it worked (the report button). STS saw fit to change it because that wasn't good enough. (Not sure what wasn't good enough about it, but that's what they did.)

As for offensive to no one, that's not true either. Some folks do take offense to even hints of such things. Should they be playing an MMO? Any MMO? No, probably not.

But auto filtering or not, someone can be far, far more abusive and offensive than any filter can detect. In fact, the verbal offenses committed without the use of profanities are often the most painful.

So, not only does the filter not stop offensive behavior, it makes it that much harder to detect. Luckily, the report button is still available.

I'm certainly not against profanity, in general. There's a time and place for it. And frustrated or excited gaming is definitely one of those times, around those who share similar attitudes.

STS should probably just ask age, and divide the gaming amongst under 13 and 13+ (or some such split -- the 13-22 bracket is probably the absolute worst in terms of vulgarity). Further, they could also let those over 13 play in the non-offensive areas (with full filters and banning for breaking rules in those areas). But the other areas -- being age-based and, basically, opt-in, would be a "you have been warned" area.

I think there are enough players to support such a divide at this point, but maybe not.

Piosidon
04-26-2011, 12:28 AM
Why can't you devs just post what kind of words that we can't use. I mean poop? What's the fart pack for than. And if you want to say a swear word find an alternative.

Arreth
04-27-2011, 04:45 PM
U can also get muted for saying crap or dang it happened to me 3 times lol

Arreth
04-27-2011, 04:50 PM
Not true I'm 14 and swear worse than a sailor!!!!

davidis57
04-27-2011, 05:15 PM
Its not going change so you potty mouths can have your way. Its in the TOS so it stays.

innovateer
04-27-2011, 05:50 PM
I added a page on the wiki which we can use to collect words known to trigger auto muting:

http://pocketlegends.wikia.com/wiki/Game_Chat

skavenger216
04-28-2011, 01:59 PM
I posted this in bugs, but snakespeare said I should post it here.

I was muted for using the word ***, yet that exact word is in item descriptions. One example would be fiery leather, the description is " kick-*** flame job". I think the word *** should be either removed from the filter, or the description for certain items should be changed. Thank you! :D

Snakespeare
04-28-2011, 02:21 PM
Especially since that word is in the Bible... 76 times in King James starting at Genesis 22... just typed it into search at Bible Gateway.

skavenger216
04-28-2011, 06:22 PM
Just seen someone use *** ingame, so no mute. Maybe it was just asshat that gets muted? I'm so confused. Can a Dev or admin pm me exactly what the issue is plz, feel free to use any words necessary, I can handle it, I'm an adult lol. Thanks again!

davidis57
04-28-2011, 07:20 PM
I would say asshat gets muted. I also think Devs expect players to use CS rather than spam sale items. What people don't realize town servers have 25 or less peeps where CS reaches all town servers. Devs will implement the spam filter eventually. Than we will read more rants about being muted. I assume they are letting people get used to the mute feature than unload it all at once. The spamming has gotten bad an eventually it will get dealt with.

Arreth
04-29-2011, 07:34 PM
I just got muted for no reason so I think you guys should fix it because if I get banned for no reason I'ma b upset since I have bought round 40$ in plat, so please fix it.

Artemis
04-29-2011, 09:49 PM
Can you guys like PM me a list of the words that are on it? You said you wouldnt post it so just PM it:)

davidis57
04-30-2011, 06:11 AM
They wont give it to anyone your wasting your time.

lUp3
04-30-2011, 06:44 AM
Is there a way to notify people around you that you have been muted. Since we cant chat or anything some people wouldnt realize. 5 mins isnt much but then again a notification that the person has been muted would be a better way to resolve things.

davidis57
04-30-2011, 09:06 PM
Everyday and today is no exception some player is cussing in chat using abbreviated cuss words. Today one player was extremely vulgar. I reported him. You wonder why Devs wont publish the word list. Its because players like this Guy would use the list and find another way of being vulgar. The current chat system is needed to keep the chat clean. There is no reason and no excuse for cussing in a game.

TANKKAAR
05-01-2011, 04:39 AM
Ok... Seriously can I get a list of words that will get me muted? I will confirm that I am of concenting age for this list but can I please? I mean come on man.... I have been muted 3times and all for lame words that are 100% excepted by the FCC... Why not here? I mean these are words that can be broadcast across our radios to anyone capable of turning a nob on... But I cant say it in game? The first word I said was damn, which has sense been removed from the list. As for the second the only thing I recall is how annoying it is to be muted for no reason.... But this 3 time was for saying "shiznit"! Really?!? I never thought this to be a bad word and took the liberty to look it up..... So here you go :-)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/iphone/#define?term=the%20shiznit

Devs can we have this word removed please?
Thanks

Ok I hope this took 5minutes to post so I can get back to the game :-)

JaytB
05-01-2011, 01:27 PM
Why did I just get muted?

To be honest this is starting to get really annoying. I'm afraid of talking in my own language now.

I was just explaining about mage gear in my native language, while in the middle of the conversation I got muted :(

I read back what I said, but can't for the world see what I said wrong.

Below I included the screenshots:

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j344/JaytB1/61a27973.png

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j344/JaytB1/49105248.png

I've asked it before, and will ask it here again. Please provide some kind of locked list that especially foreigners like me can take a look at. This is the second time I got muted for using a word in my native language. The other word was 'douche', which means 'shower' in Dutch.

JaytB
05-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Ow cmon! Got muted again!!

I'll soon be banned for speaking in my native language :(

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j344/JaytB1/c55a332e.png

razerfingers
05-01-2011, 01:50 PM
i got muted for saying bugger lol i was like "found the last of those little buggers" then got muted grrrrr

karmakali
05-01-2011, 02:09 PM
This is getting a bit ridiculous. Perfect examples above. Too bad we couldn't just rely on common decency and mutual respect.
But seriously devs...is auto mute saving you any time/resources or have they just shifted to fielding appeals related to auto-mute/ban?
I know this is a work in progress. I also know there is much more work to be done with this program before it can be called fair.
:(

razerfingers
05-01-2011, 02:16 PM
muting just makes people more irritated at pl haha im just sayin by expirience

JaytB
05-01-2011, 02:29 PM
This is getting a bit ridiculous. Perfect examples above. Too bad we couldn't just rely on common decency and mutual respect.
But seriously devs...is auto mute saving you any time/resources or have they just shifted to fielding appeals related to auto-mute/ban?
I know this is a work in progress. I also know there is much more work to be done with this program before it can be called fair.
:(

Couldn't agree more. I also informed them via mail... Again. I'm sure they'll get dozens, if not more, mails like this every day. I don't really see how auto-muting would result in less overhead in the end. It only causes unnecessary frustration IMO. When I went back in the game, I continued my conversation in English... With a Dutch guy :( it makes me feel kind of unwelcome, when I can't even speak in my native language. This is just wrong IMO. People that know me, know that I'm always very helpful and polite. I never swear or use faul language in any way. I'm 39 and want PL to be a fun and decent place for young kids. But I start to be afraid of even talking to someone now. I don't even want to think about the auto-ban system. If I'd just go on talking in my native language, even in the most polite way possible, I'm bound to get auto-banned very soon.

That being said, it's still a work in progress and I'm sure some solution will be sought after. I just would hate to get banned because of just helping people with answering their questions :(

Can someone please tell me, in the screenshots I posted a couple of posts back, what was said that is mute-worthy?

My English is considered really good, but I can't, for the love of it, find what word could have resulted in a mute.

I will keep this post updated with any mail-reply I would get back from STS about this all.

Lesrider
05-01-2011, 02:41 PM
My guess would be "iS HET." but yeah, that's really stretching it.

Edit: N/m that wasn't even you.

I've no clue.

Faryia
05-01-2011, 04:04 PM
make a damn list of the words..

its sad I can say curse words such as ***, b***h, p***y, and other sorts with out getting, then you say minge? and muted? wtf is minge? and i said the flag was snatched and got muted...

what kind of words are you using as ban words? specify it or take the damn thing off

JaytB
05-01-2011, 04:29 PM
A possible solution could be that each user can specify his native language once (when it's not English). When saying a mutable word, the system searches for that word in a simple dictionary. Even better would be to search for that words' meaning, to know if it's a bad word or not. But this would be nearly impossible because of all the languages out there. So, when the word is found in the specific dictionary, the user gets 'flagged' but not muted. Devs can then Extract what the offending word was, and add it to the allowed/mutable list for that specific language.

davidis57
05-01-2011, 05:27 PM
They wont give out the list cause people will look for an abbreviation for each word.

Atila the nun
05-01-2011, 08:31 PM
I tend to chat a lot and try to help new players when I can but I'm concerned about making a typo or saying something that I don't realize is banned and getting muted. I've noticed that my chat will get muted when I don't expect it. For example if I say "see the Free Plat button? Push it to get your free platinum." Part of that would get filtered. Does the auto mute system suffer from the same problem as the chat filter? Am I going to get banned while trying to help players? I'm concerned especially if they won't understand why I'm not saying anything.

Beanmachine
05-02-2011, 12:00 AM
I tend to chat a lot and try to help new players when I can but I'm concerned about making a typo or saying something that I don't realize is banned and getting muted. I've noticed that my chat will get muted when I don't expect it. For example if I say "see the Free Plat button? Push it to get your free platinum." Part of that would get filtered. Does the auto mute system suffer from the same problem as the chat filter? Am I going to get banned while trying to help players? I'm concerned especially if they won't understand why I'm not saying anything.

I think its cause you said "push it"

pennsco1999
05-06-2011, 09:17 AM
From the desk of Bleecker,

I have not read through all of the comments and for this I apologize if my issue has been covered. I am having trouble understanding why someone (me) was muted for saying "coon and friends" referring to a few South Park episodes while playing with mntberrychrunch yet we will allow folks to have screen names such as pktpuzzy and pekkahead. Can anyone answer this for me please?

Thanks,

Bleecker

Tamino
05-06-2011, 09:36 AM
someone (me) was muted for saying "coon and friends"
The term c**n has racist connotations, it is used in derogatory sense to refer to black people.

pennsco1999
05-06-2011, 10:06 AM
The term c**n has racist connotations, it is used in derogatory sense to refer to black people.

Since you have the answer, can you explain to me why i can say "Token" and not be muted

Tamino
05-06-2011, 10:41 AM
Since you have the answer, can you explain to me why i can say "Token" and not be muted
It seems to me a less racist word, "token" is more a refer to a stereotypical character because its ethnic group than a derogatory term. But maybe I'm wrong, the "bad words list" is a work in progress and I cannot say if in the future the devs will decide to add "token" to it.

pennsco1999
05-06-2011, 10:43 AM
It seems to me a less racist word, "token" is more a refer to a stereotypical character because its ethnic group than a derogatory term. But maybe I'm wrong, the "bad words list" is a work in progress and I cannot say if in the future the devs will decide to add "token" to it.

So then pktpuzzy is good to go as well?

matamurman
05-06-2011, 10:56 AM
Ok I got muted for saying absolutely no swear words not even 1 that resembled a swear word. I think I needs some ajusting to where if u only say the real word and not something close, I understand there's kids playing this totaly awsome game, I have 3 kids of my own. But what r the chances of easing up on the muteing. I don't wanna get band for not swearing I've paid a nice chunk of rl money, not that's I mind its a great game and cheaper than everquest. Just don't want to be band for doing nothing wrong

neko
05-06-2011, 11:02 AM
Ok I got muted for saying absolutely no swear words not even 1 that resembled a swear word. I think I needs some ajusting to where if u only say the real word and not something close, I understand there's kids playing this totaly awsome game, I have 3 kids of my own. But what r the chances of easing up on the muteing. I don't wanna get band for not swearing I've paid a nice chunk of rl money, not that's I mind its a great game and cheaper than everquest. Just don't want to be band for doing nothing wrong

Please give us a clue as to what that word was so we can avoid it in game. Thanks!

Devs, it's okay to ask and post what that word might be, right?

JaytB
05-06-2011, 11:05 AM

If you want to know what word it was, you can contact support(at)spacetimestudios.com

I was muted several times for speaking Dutch. I contacted the devs, and they promptly removed the offending word from their automute list. They also told that if someone would get banned for clearly not even knowing he/she was using bad words, they'd immediately lift the ban. I guess we just need to inform them via mail as much as possible, so they can tweak their list further :)

Samhayne
05-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Het is zo cool dat zoveel mensen Pocket Legends spelen van over de hele wereld. Yay voor de Nederlandse spelers!

StompArtist
05-06-2011, 01:08 PM
Het is zo cool dat zoveel mensen Pocket Legends spelen van over de hele wereld. Yay voor de Nederlandse spelers!

See Samhayne never got muted in game for a good reason!

JaytB
05-06-2011, 01:16 PM

Eeehh?? Hoe spreek jij zo perfect Nederlands?? O.o

Samhayne
05-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Eeehh?? Hoe spreek jij zo perfect Nederlands?? O.o

Google Translate (http://translate.google.com/) is mijn goede vriend. Het brengt de wereld dichter bij elkaar.

JaytB
05-06-2011, 01:42 PM
Google Translate (http://translate.google.com/) is mijn goede vriend. Het brengt de wereld dichter bij elkaar.

I never actually thought you could get such a perfect translation with it. Another lesson learned I guess ;)

Samhayne
05-06-2011, 01:52 PM
I never actually thought you could get such a perfect translation with it. Another lesson learned I guess ;)

The power of crowdsourcing when you have passionate people helping out.

azulflame
05-06-2011, 05:20 PM
You can get muted/banned for saying flamer...

big problem: FLAME Rabbit ears

and can you Email the auto-mute list (and auto-ban, if there is one) to my account Email? I might need restructure my quickchat. one of my quickchats got me muted. deleted it, but want a similar phrase. mught have heen a mistype, but I want the list just the same

man, I love this emote. can you get a similar one in-game? => :banana:

kjzhu9
05-08-2011, 04:09 PM
its kinda annoying cuz i was using a friend's ipod with spellcheck enabled and when i tried to say "wait a sec" i mistyped the last letter and spellcheck made it "wait a se(and a "x" here) " lol

Cloudiz
05-11-2011, 04:05 PM
i feel a restriction talking in this game. the big part of the game is the social interaction environment. it feels like we are being policed by school teachers and the effect is that you have treated the players like children. I understand a 5 minute mute for dastardly offensive words. but some words like '****' isn't offensive. it is used in daily life. you don't call your own waste Dung! or manure? you call it ****.
When you miss out on an opportunity, you say ****. you don't say "oopsy daisy". this is life. The word doesn't offend as much as f****.

if I can suggest, look at World of Warcraft. They have every bit of system you guys are trying to improve on and implement. it feels like you are trying to do things different, but really, if I may speak from an adult's point of view, this game ultimately has to please the majority, and also, no big secret, it has to be profitable to the company Spacetime.
Is the driving force of the game not commercial? Are you not charging platinums for exclusive content? The kids do not pay for most of these. The adults do. And like someone else said in an earlier post, kids nowadays watch movies with lots of words f**k! and worse. I have friends aged 13 and younger, and they accept it as part of Hollywood. They don't get offended, and they certainly do not use it.
A controlled environment breeds of disgust to me.

WoW - they use filters for speech deemed inappropriate. Players see ***** and they know they must have cursed. that has the same effect as letting someone know this guy said something bad and the only thing that made it different is that they don't have to visually see it. Intellectually, it provides the same effect.

Muted for raid leading:
I led a PUG group who was struggling with Gurgox with the canned message of "Big Boom coming in 5 seconds", and was muted for spamming, for 5 long minutes - a silent bird - after a few times using it. I would think that anyone who was in any group had the choice to either leave, or report me if I was truly spamming. And the host of the game can boot me. If im the host, anyone can leave in disgust if they wanted to.
For private games: sometimes friends play. why should a locked game be filtered? It is locked. protected from the outside world.

Surely, in summary, when you compare yourself to WoW in your pocket, that you do not re-invent the wheel? Look at the actual World of Warcraft universe, and the hours of board meetings they have conducted in order to create an immersive world for the biggest amount of players ever. As a commercial marketing researcher, I can certainly say with some strength, that WoW would have lost quite a reputation for what you guys have implemented at this moment.
In closing, I am not ashamed to compare PL with WoW, just because you guys have used its namesake as a form of marketing and publicity in your ad campaigns. Since you have gotten past that hurdle, at least do some comparison with WoW for how they manage their player community experience.

The anger that you see for these 9 pages long of complaints stem from people who love the game(or the community) like myself, enough to even care to [write] as I have done. Surely you know by a rough guesstimate, that for every one person that write, a good 100 or more others stay silent and just ignore voicing it out.
Look beneath the issue and you'd realise it's not about wanting to rebel, or swear. It's about fundamental freedom of speech, which no other human being should dictate against. Laws of a free world, of any recognised democracy, and of the United States of America.

NECROREAPER
05-11-2011, 05:54 PM
It's implemented so that people don't go running off their mouths. People are unbelievably rude believe it or not. For example, I once asked a guy politely to stop spamming his junk gear sale as he was flooding the chat filter. I got a big ol f you for saying van you please stop spamming your sale, it's flooding the chat filter. See what I mean?

Thats besides the point. Keep in mind one of the major reasons is because this is predominately a children's game. Yes I understand, adults play this game (I'm 21), but still, we need to keep things in check. You wouldn't wanna hear 8 year old kids dropping f bombs around like crazy or worse yet, your own kids doing the same.

Keep it clean guys

asommers
05-11-2011, 05:54 PM
While we certainly appreciate everyone's feedback, the system is here to stay. It should be relatively clear that we don't want this type of language in our game. The filtering/muting/banning is not perfect, but as many of you have pointed out, neither are we.

-ALS

NECROREAPER
05-11-2011, 06:01 PM
I'm glad to say that I appreciate the system devs. Yes, it can be a hassle but if you can't speak without swearing I think this game is the least of your worries.

Thanks again for all your hard work

Cloudiz
05-11-2011, 08:22 PM
It's implemented so that people don't go running off their mouths. People are unbelievably rude believe it or not. For example, I once asked a guy politely to stop spamming his junk gear sale as he was flooding the chat filter. I got a big ol f you for saying van you please stop spamming your sale, it's flooding the chat filter. See what I mean?

Thats besides the point. Keep in mind one of the major reasons is because this is predominately a children's game. Yes I understand, adults play this game (I'm 21), but still, we need to keep things in check. You wouldn't wanna hear 8 year old kids dropping f bombs around like crazy or worse yet, your own kids doing the same.

Keep it clean guys

I'm not going to harp on the issue. Along with the freedoms I mentioned, is the freedom of any developer to do as they wish.
Do you realise the extent of the filter? It covers a range of colloquial speech as well... to the point some people cannot speak normally.
That kid that blasted you... he has done so with you getting the full F-U message. Did he get past the filter? No. He simply went a roundabout way to bring the same message across to you.

Yes, it can be a hassle but if you can't speak without swearing I think this game is the least of your worries.

It is not wanting to have the freedom to swear. Can the filter prevent it? No. Please explain how it can? If I want to be derogatory to you right this instant, I will make sure you will understand it, in another spelling or in any way that offends you -- filter or not.

The fact that the real people the filter would be curtailing, are the ones who do not mean much harm. Yet the same rude people continue to offend.

If someone said to you now, "*$&#$ you!!!" Do you need to know what the filter has blocked? No, in fact you won't bother even guessing. You already feel the emotion before you even care to guess what the word is. In fact you presume the worst, in your dictionary of terms.

What does the filter really achieve? Look at the 9 pages of rant. And all you achieve are the restriction of friendly people, who are not the culprits, which the system is really restricting.

This game is for children? I am not sure.
But as ALS said, the system is here to stay.
Perhaps I do not think deep enough, this issue that is beyond me.
I am sitting on the fence for this one.

Siejo
05-11-2011, 11:20 PM
It is not the intention of the Devs to upset you with the filters. All they want is to make the game enjoyable for everyone to play. I personally did not enjoy seeing it every 2 seconds before the filter adjustments. I understand it may happen upon occasion as we are human and not a perfect society. Ultimately if you can't live without minding your language for a few hours a day then maybe this isn't the game for you. Would you go to church and spout out filthy language and tell the pastor thats how life talks so deal with it? Probably not. With all those parent watch groups monitoring games and apps like a hawk the best approach is to not stir up trouble. Seriously look how many times GTA has been in court. With this being a free game to play I doubt they have the cash to flash for a lawyer.

Avgen
05-12-2011, 10:39 AM
I think we all know that there is a very big difference between the vocabularies we use with different people. When going for a job interview we use a certain level of politeness and restriction in the things we say. Between friends at the bar having a beer, we use another vocabulary and it all depends on the relationship you have with the person/s you're talking to.

I can definitely hold my tongue and change vocabularies in public areas of the game but when I'm in a locked private game with a friend I know well or if I'm PMing a friend I don't want to be restricted in my use of vocabulary. The silliest words are muted and then your friend thinks you're being a prick, or you miss out on a deal because you can't communicated a single word for 5mins. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

The system should be pretty simple, anyone on your friends list can be communicated with without muting, in PM. I'd be completely happy with that.

EQQidlien
05-12-2011, 07:52 PM
Smeg
Smeg is a vulgarism or expletive used throughout the series of Red Dwarf. Although no specific meaning is ever given, it and its derivatives are regularly used as a derogatory term. There has been some speculation that the name is related to the word smegma, however this has been denied by the writers.*Most entries on Urban Dictionary list this folk etymology.

While I agree that a comprehensive list of profanity for this system is valuable to you to expand your customer base, STS. I believe we can all agree that including vulgarities that are clearly a work of television is taking it too far. Tested smeg twice to be sure. Don't overstep your position.

Mothwing
05-12-2011, 10:24 PM
Kinda flawed...what happens when two words are combined ro make a mute. I HATE this it really bothers me especially when i type something long and important and its muted when theres no bad word intentionally said. People arent gonna swear in between words thats just a waste.

Qildien
05-13-2011, 01:54 AM
I've added 4 mild and fictional vulgarities to the wiki so far. So not to worry, Folks! If STS continues to be obstinate and won't give us a master list then we can make our own for everyone to look at on the wiki page. Devs your puritanical attitude is laughable. Should we all go watch fox news, carry our bibles in a holster, and praise Jesus that you, STS, are a part of the moral minority who protects us all from ourselves? Get a clue.

Moogerfooger
05-13-2011, 03:00 AM
I've added 4 mild and fictional vulgarities to the wiki so far. So not to worry, Folks! If STS continues to be obstinate and won't give us a master list then we can make our own for everyone to look at on the wiki page. Devs your puritanical attitude is laughable. Should we all go watch fox news, carry our bibles in a holster, and praise Jesus that you, STS, are a part of the moral minority who protects us all from ourselves? Get a clue.

Cool story bro. Pompous much?

If you can't handle not cussing in a game (and I am ex-military and can cuss with the best of them), then you have issues.

Maynard
05-16-2011, 12:53 AM
I found out you can't say' cute little bug*ers. Needs tweaked a bit. I never swear in games but got muted for that.

Cloudiz
05-20-2011, 03:23 PM
I think we all know that there is a very big difference between the vocabularies we use with different people. When going for a job interview we use a certain level of politeness and restriction in the things we say. Between friends at the bar having a beer, we use another vocabulary and it all depends on the relationship you have with the person/s you're talking to.

I can definitely hold my tongue and change vocabularies in public areas of the game but when I'm in a locked private game with a friend I know well or if I'm PMing a friend I don't want to be restricted in my use of vocabulary. The silliest words are muted and then your friend thinks you're being a prick, or you miss out on a deal because you can't communicated a single word for 5mins. Pretty ridiculous if you ask me.

The system should be pretty simple, anyone on your friends list can be communicated with without muting, in PM. I'd be completely happy with that.

I totally agree. Filter should be made for people who have no choice but to see the chat... eg in Balefort CS area.
But friends? I got muted and had to log off since I Couldn't talk anymore. I can't just emote to communicate can i? or sign language? I later returned and my friend thought I left the game and didn't come back for some time.
We were going to farm some strategies.
Unfortunate much, this issue.
He thought I left without a word....

Mothwing
05-22-2011, 04:21 PM
SOLUTION: Make the mute annoncement public so your friends know why youre silent.

razerfingers
05-22-2011, 05:32 PM
SOLUTION: Make the mute annoncement public so your friends now why youre silent.

exactly

Mothwing
05-22-2011, 05:38 PM
-facepalm- i spelled know wrong.

joeychandler
05-23-2011, 01:08 PM
Can't find a reason in the OP for this update. It makes sense to have a filter for kids, but auto bans even for PMs to friends makes no sense. Ofc pms to "friends" could be you cussing out a kid, but even then, the kid should get filter "protected" and can report you to support. I never remember Townes being full of swearing anyway.... Yea so there were occasional tools that went out of their way to Troll and mouth off everyone, but those guys mostly got banned by people emailing support.

We value our customers tremendously. We know that this system will need some tweaking, as ALS outlines above. Also, we feel strongly, for example, that some jerk should not be able to make a free account, log into Forest Haven and start spouting filth and directly impacting our other customers play experience.

In this case, the filter system would work fine to prevent people seeing filth he types, no? Without the added effect of muting long time users when they type "dex" and apple corrects it -.-"

im4broke
05-31-2011, 04:10 PM
Was using this awesome machine to play and on the first day got muted!! Since early February I have been playing and have never been muted.

LOL...really funny now with hindsight. A person asked about building his bird, where to place his stats, dex or str, and so I answered with "dex is best for a bird". Or so i thought. Funny thing is when u switch to a new device not all your normally saved in game words or abreviations are carried over. Dex was replaced with...well starts with...and I did not even think to proof my comment. Hit send and Lo and behold: you have been muted for 5 minutes, any further violations and you can be banned.

Boy was I mad at the moment because I was trying to do a good thing. I am more careful now, but just the just the same, if the comment was considered in whole it made perfect sense, the word by itself...yes I fully agree.

kaijustorm
07-25-2011, 04:27 PM
I understand everyone's frustrations with this, really, I do. Especially with words that may not seem vulgar at all.
However, you have to keep in mind that people from all over the world from a myriad of different age groups play this game on a daily basis.
Some are nicer than others and some are more conscientious about their language than others.

In my honest opinion, I feel that the Devs did this to free up the need for the chatboards to be constantly monitored by a human.
It makes perfect sense to me. why spend money on a human Moderator when the servers can do it for them?

There's one very simple solution to the worry of being auto-muted. If its in any way questionable as to whether or not what you type can be construed as vulgar, then its probably best NOT to type it. Like the saying goes, If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all. Hope this helps...

Zerious
07-25-2011, 06:43 PM
the system is good. Prevents trolls from going too far, keeps people behaved, and thrash talk (something i'm never into, being a counter-troll and all :D) is not really necessary in-game anyways.

Coltona
08-01-2011, 12:23 PM
ok it's a good idea, but i got muted the other day for my autocorrect changing a word in the middle of a trade. Is there anyway that if your team sees this they can unmute someone if it wasn't their fault??

setec
08-18-2011, 02:59 AM
I think I got muted for using the term "wow". Perhaps I wasn't supposed to tell another player what game I was playing? :) I logged back in after 6 months and had no idea what the heck I did wrong. Certainly didn't swear or anything. Was just having a conversation with another player about my droid antenna, my sword and that I hadn't been on in 6 months.

Good to see there is a system in place but again I'm not sure what I said wrong. No system is perfect though.

dallasboycows
08-19-2011, 04:57 PM
this auto **** stuff is idiotic. Who programmed it. I say dumb stuff like where do you want to go now, and all the sudden half of it is bleeped out. learn how to program.

Zeubermensch
08-19-2011, 05:14 PM
I came across a huge over sight.. I was playing PvP and I use the word noob a lot. Not as an offensive name or anything, but noob autocorrects to boob on my iPod.. And it immediately mutes me.. It's been driving me nuts! Also, there have been quite a few random mutes on me, even if I haven't been saying anything.. :(
What's the issue here?

gotrocks420
08-31-2011, 01:18 AM
Would the devs consider a system like this:

Instead of an auto-mute, take the words that are on the mute list, and anytime someone tries to use one of these words, just dont let the msg go through and display something on screen like "1/3 warnings for saying xxxxxx". That way, your getting the point across (which is dont use that word or face punishment), your complety removing this word from the innocent 8-14 yr olds who shouldnt think, foul language is ok, and youre not muting someone who could have accidentally put in a bad word.

For the words on the autoban list, block the word like suggested above, and then mute for a longer period of time (10-30 mins or even an hour, and only have the timer count down while the character is logged in). 3 strikes and then ban. It just seems to me that an auto ban, even for really heinous words, is a little extreme, especially when we are all typing on tiny keyboards that are easy to typo on.

Does anyone else feel this system would work well? I have tons of respect for all the developers of this game, you have all done a great job, and i just want you all to know the community as a whole says thank you. Would you consider looking into a system like this? I know it would mean more coding, but a switch to this from the current system shouldnt be too bad.

Also, you'd be finding an excellent middle ground/compromise between the players who like the system the way it is, and the ones who are unhappy and have voiced that unhappyiness (there are lots of people on both sides of the fence here - this solution would make everyone happy). I hope i didnt offend the devs by presuming i knew a better way to do this than they do - its merely a suggestion.

One more quick thing, swearing should be filtered if you have your filter on in a private game, but should not be mutable. Thats why the game is private! Its 'behind closed doors" so to speak.

Thank you in advance if a dev chooses to reply to this thread. I truly think this is a solid middle ground and would keep the language in the game very clean. If you dont choose to reply, please think/talk it over with the team, you may find you like this idea =)

Thanks for taking the time to listen to another rant!

Spekticle
09-05-2011, 01:49 PM
I am sure this has been brought up before, I do not think auto-mutes are the way to go in any mmo. If someone says something like S*X just make it so the text does not appear to the public and the game sends a message saying why it was not. Because with smartphones theses days the Auto-Correct function can be very nice but it can also be very very annoying.
For example, "Hey Spektic what's your Dex lv?" but instead it says "Hey Spektic what's your _ _ _ lv?" I am not trying to be vulgar but I get muted for 5 min yes its 5 min but it is not right.

Heroelite
09-05-2011, 02:08 PM
It's kinda dumb cuz one of my character's name is: hero titan and when ever i tell someone to add the name, it always shows up as hero***an.

Heroelite
09-05-2011, 02:09 PM
I came across a huge over sight.. I was playing PvP and I use the word noob a lot. Not as an offensive name or anything, but noob autocorrects to boob on my iPod.. And it immediately mutes me.. It's been driving me nuts! Also, there have been quite a few random mutes on me, even if I haven't been saying anything.. :(
What's the issue here?
lol this happens to me all the time

Wilddar
09-05-2011, 06:14 PM
Sounds like alot of people dislike this update, I haven't had a issue with it yet. :/

Lunna
09-05-2011, 08:19 PM
Me eather just don't cuse & watch your auto spell!

JNass
09-08-2011, 12:25 AM
i got muted earlier for saying "none of my attacks hit" it read "none of my attcks* ***" i then typed "hit" and i got muted :(

Mothwing
09-08-2011, 08:25 AM
I was at a guardian run with some guildies and we found an elite chest in which gave me a desert rat coat, and i told my buddies that everytime we see one i get a drop, and i said they like me :P. We went on to beat guardian, and when we did i didnt get a drop, so someone said, yes but the guardian doesnt like you...so i said, well i dont like him either...and i got muted...maybe i type-od but how can you typo any of those words into a cuss word...

tupid
01-12-2012, 08:22 AM
How about changing the players name to a different color when muted? or turn the player into a shadow?? or add a icon next to the name in the team stat list or turn it into a different color??? We understand the filter is here to stay but at least be kind enough to give some kind of visual cue that a player has been muted. I am sure with all the talent the devs have, it could be done rather easily. The system isnt perfect but communication in a team run needs to be there or we need to know when they cant speak.

Caiahar
01-12-2013, 03:47 PM
I've had problems with this. When I was lvl 55 or something and in balefort sewers I was doing the last level. I called my friend to come over and help me. He was lvl 66 and he asked if I needed to do runs or boss. I said boss. He asked which one. I said "Cockroach" and immediately I got muted. Then he kept in asking runs or boss. All I could do was use useless emotes. When I was unmuted I just said the boss. I used to have another character named wardag. When ever I said wardag it showed up as war***. Also I have a problem with last letter and first 3 letter. I said most of my attacks hit in pvp. It showed up as most of my attack* *** in pvp. I'm seeing it could mean the s*** word. Brother is little, and he can't spell correctly, so he writes wrong things and gets muted.

Vilified
01-12-2013, 04:55 PM
Yup there's still some that are completely ridiculous try saying flame rabbit ears or prickly mace..... They named the items yet we have to abbreviate to type them out in game.......

Caiahar
01-12-2013, 05:08 PM
and theres a dex armor for low levels saying 'Kick-*** Flame Job! If you guys are gonna use this system why the item has it????

Jcyee
01-12-2013, 05:22 PM
you can turn filter chat off...

Caiahar
01-12-2013, 06:09 PM
you can turn filter chat off...
Im guessing you didnt read the above rants?

Jcyee
01-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Im guessing you didnt read the above rants?

No.

Griffinfan
01-12-2013, 09:56 PM
How about changing the players name to a different color when muted? or turn the player into a shadow?? or add a icon next to the name in the team stat list or turn it into a different color??? We understand the filter is here to stay but at least be kind enough to give some kind of visual cue that a player has been muted. I am sure with all the talent the devs have, it could be done rather easily. The system isnt perfect but communication in a team run needs to be there or we need to know when they cant speak.
'

Pro Necro

razerfingers
01-12-2013, 09:58 PM
Wow devs should just lock all old threads. It would be too much time consuming but better than useless year old threads on unread section...

Sent using blood on a bathroom wall

LwMark
01-13-2013, 03:16 AM
Ye we do need some way of showing were muted, ive slipt up a couples and i just use wave emote a milluon times or just keep cryin, sometimes i text the person if its a friend i have numbers with

Vilified
01-13-2013, 06:18 AM
attacks hit shows up as: attack* *** and gets you muted
bone rabbit ears shows up as: **** *abbit ears and gets you muted
An alien shows up as: ** **ien and gets you muted
I got it shows up as: I go* ** and gets you muted
cockroach shows up as: ****roach and gets you muted
and Mick Jagger shows up as: **** Jagger which I dont understand how his name could be a bad word

There should be a way for the filter to detect that if certain letters are used before or after a phrase that it isn't a bad word

If I remember right mick is some form of racial slur

Edit: that's right it's against Irish people

Sciazaratek
01-13-2013, 03:59 PM
Got muted once for writing hom* sapiens.

nobodie
01-13-2013, 06:45 PM

i admit it may have been a bit rash of me but i said "fag" in pvp for a guy spawn camping and got banned for a week...first incidence, no warning, stop, stack ur done...sad.

Ladycandyheal
01-14-2013, 09:53 AM
i admit it may have been a bit rash of me but i said "fag" in pvp for a guy spawn camping and got banned for a week...first incidence, no warning, stop, stack ur done...sad.

I would say, justice was served

bonekryzie
01-15-2013, 06:28 AM
huge tips DONT CARE ANYTING ABOUT VULGAR CHAT ..DISTURNING CHAT ..IF U FEEL A RISK LEAVIN N SLEEPING ON YOUR BED ROOM ...I PLAY THIS GAME JUST FOR FUN NOT SERIOUSLY

Hadesofshadow
01-15-2013, 06:59 AM
since this was necro'd

why can we get muted when we swear in a pm to a friend

Hawkbby
01-15-2013, 02:17 PM
Why is this thread still alive?

Cavoc
01-17-2013, 05:53 PM
"Hey I have a great idea! Lets find a two year old thread and start complaining!"

Shane Frett
12-20-2013, 08:25 PM
I've got muted today for saying something. My exact words were "if you have a 901 ping then that's the reason why your not getting good reception." This whole auto thing is really getting on my nerves.

Guys plz update filters with smart software... heck I'll even develop it for you just email me.

Shane Frett
12-20-2013, 08:26 PM
Sorry guys but I have no idea where else to post this.

ForeverImmortal
01-19-2014, 11:45 AM
Freedom of Speech.... And I keep seeing other people swearing and never got muted. I got muted multiple times and 5 mins mute is too long (feels like 30mins) and whenever other people is trying to talk to me and I cant reply them because I'm muted. That's not fair! I like to make an joke and make other people laugh.

Elitephonix
01-19-2014, 02:09 PM
Do something about it. Sts. Stg* stal*

Gordon David Paille
01-24-2014, 02:41 AM
If u ask me, this is 1st amendment rights violation. Sts needs to fix it.

ixfarmxdeaths
01-26-2014, 04:03 AM
If u ask me, this is 1st amendment rights violation. Sts needs to fix it.
Because little kids play this game... Even though it's animals brutally murdering other animals, humans, and even their own race.
It's the little kids that do the swearing.

Kingcharos
06-05-2014, 04:45 AM
I know this is 5 months old.. But, wtf? 1st amendment? Lol.
And here is the thing. America might have freedom of speech, but on an MMO... You play with people from all across the world. Some don't experience the same freedoms you and I know.

Xyzther
07-01-2014, 04:07 AM
Excuse my language but words such as "sht" "fk" and "shiit" do not cause muted or get filtered... Care to fix this? Once again sorry for the language, just giving an example.

DivineMoustache
07-02-2014, 04:14 PM
Excuse my language but words such as "sht" "fk" and "shiit" do not cause muted or get filtered... Care to fix this? Once again sorry for the language, just giving an example.

people will always find exploits in the filter, it's simply not worth the time to filter every single word and variations of a word.

Xvanitykingx
07-02-2014, 06:37 PM
people will always find exploits in the filter, it's simply not worth the time to filter every single word and variations of a word.

Yep, they should also do something about those cursing in other languages.

Ps. A few months ago I sent Samhayne a list of curse words in Spanish and their meanings to add to the mute and ban list so.... For all you English/spanish speakers who go around it by writing in Spanish... Gg.

for the lulz
07-03-2014, 11:33 AM
was the system updated? cus now i get muted for saying *edited* female donkey *edited*

DivineMoustache
07-03-2014, 01:47 PM
same here i was muted at least 5 times in the last 2 days because i forgot about the new donkey filter.

snowfu
07-07-2014, 05:43 PM
The mute system is mostly for the kids, I guess.
I believe is was XvanitykingX who said in Humania once- "Little kids play this!" If grown ups played this with kids, there would be swearing, and the kid is gonna think it is ok to use that language.
Given what we have here with the mute system, we should stem out, allowing certain age groups certain (no other way to say it, but the word is "vulgar") words. Like 13 and under get none, and 21 and older get x number of those. Just an idea.

But given the game's violence, it's frowned upon by STS that little kids play this, it's more of an E10+ game.