PDA

View Full Version : what's the point of powerlevelling if you dont want to learn how to actually play?!?

Wolfling
04-23-2011, 08:25 AM
you know, i normally dont say much ingame to many players... except in private chat between my friends of course... but i am really getting tired of all the peeps, let's call them "new generation" players, who dont understand or even care how a proper raiding party works. and yes, i am mainly talking about all the powerlevelled 55's running around who spam attack skills, or have never heard of a heal before... i am a tank. my main job in a party is to pull aggro and essentially keep as much damage focused on me as possible. while i am doing this the archers and mages are NOT supposed to be standing right next to me and dying... mages and archers were designed with RANGED melee attacks for a reason... they sould be outside of the immediate battle and either healing, buffing, bombing, de-buffing, etc. the only time a mage should ever be within striking distance of a boss is when they are attempting to res somebody... i know that it's not just me who thinks this way, and you might be able to argue about a pally, or a dex/bear, or an int/bear, or whatever. but ultimately, for a raiding party to work correctly, and well, together then everybody has a role. how much fun would it be for a mage if me, as a tank, were to run around and aggro a giant mob, only to bring them back to you....and then stop fighting? i'm just more upset at this behavior since last night. i used more health pots, (with a party of 55-56 mages, and my buddy kraze), than the amount of gold i got back from the entire night of raiding... not to mention i had more deaths in one night than i've had in the past 6 months! maybe this is just me venting frustration, or maybe (probably), there are plenty of other real players who feel the same way as i do...

WILLIAM cmy
04-23-2011, 08:36 AM
I share the same finding as you. As a mage, I heal others a lot. But when I am a bird, I seldom see other mages cast heal spell. They all thought they are nukers and only care to do DMG. LOL! If that's their intention, why play mage? A group of birds kill much faster!

Arterra
04-23-2011, 08:37 AM
Worth it's own thread ;)

Hate explaining how if you powerlevel, you get nothing... Enough 55 noobs out there.

Snakespeare
04-23-2011, 08:38 AM
You're right, there are plenty of us who feel the same way. What you say is good stuff. Problem is, though, that in pickup groups you will always encounter bad players. They aren't going away, unfortunately. So my advice is to start hosting. It takes patience to wait for your game to fill.

azulflame
04-23-2011, 08:38 AM
in before the lock,

the main reason I powerlevel is to help get a person I know to a certain level, or just help them out a little. I will only powerlevel if they have proof that they know how to play. In fact, I powerleveled someone from the forums last night. I had proof that they knew how to play the class, they ahd a high level char (not plvl thier main), and I was in a good mood. I also try to teach people to play their class, I might be holding tutorials in FH sometime, when I feel like it.

Ellyidol
04-23-2011, 08:39 AM
You're right, there are plenty of us who feel the same way. What you say is good stuff. Problem is, though, that in pickup groups you will always encounter bad players. They aren't going away, unfortunately. So my advice is to start hosting. It takes patience to wait for your game to fill.

Exactly what I was about to say.

I don't know the quickest way I can explain why not to power-level either, so I just say it's bad. Period. No questions. No buts. It's bad. :D

Malthael
04-23-2011, 08:40 AM
People powerlevel because they've already played through the game once (or more) and just wish to experience the end game content on their new characters.

Arterra
04-23-2011, 08:58 AM
People powerlevel because they've already played through the game once (or more) and just wish to experience the end game content on their new characters.

Wrong.
I would bet 75% of powerlevelers are new players trying to get "leet" quick and skip the whole icky learning process.

davidis57
04-23-2011, 09:05 AM
If that was true they would know they get more XP in a group. They would also know that lvl minimums keeps them in their lvl dungeon and dont need 50+ to help them. Many are leeches and want something for nothing. I met a player today who wanted a group of 50's to do runs in lost expedition to lvl him. He wanted the high lvls cause he thinks it would be faster and he would get all XP. He was lvl 29. I told him get a group your own lvl and have some fun.

Wolfling
04-23-2011, 09:16 AM
at this point i dont care if the char is powerlevelled as much as i care that with the new xp they should at least take the time to learn how to play as a part of a group.. if you want to solo as a mage more power to ya. just realize that playing as a group means just that. it is not very hard to understand. tanks= aggro/damage control, mages= buffs/de-buffs/heals/res, archers= area damage/debuffs. and if you want to make it even easier.... tanks= close combat, everybody else= ranged combat. im pretty dumb and i get this;)

Malthael
04-23-2011, 10:00 AM
Wrong.
I would bet 75% of powerlevelers are new players trying to get "leet" quick and skip the whole icky learning process.

Yes, now that is understandable. I find it's appropriate for players to skip questing and just continue to level if they actually help with the grinding. However, simply leeching is wrong.

Duped
04-23-2011, 12:15 PM
at this point i dont care if the char is powerlevelled as much as i care that with the new xp they should at least take the time to learn how to play as a part of a group.. if you want to solo as a mage more power to ya. just realize that playing as a group means just that. it is not very hard to understand. tanks= aggro/damage control, mages= buffs/de-buffs/heals/res, archers= area damage/debuffs. and if you want to make it even easier.... tanks= close combat, everybody else= ranged combat. im pretty dumb and i get this;)

FWIW, you're description of how to play isn't entirely accurate. Have you watched Pysio's videos? He as a bird is always running in first and getting aggro. I agree that there are a lot of people who stink at playing this game. I play all three characters, and I'm a big believer in each type playing their role. As a mage, I like to play aggressively, and I can't tank in the heat of battle, but your AOE is more powerful when you are in middle of mobs than at the edge, and quite honestly, I'd say 8 out of 10 bears don't know how to tank that I run into in PUG's in the sewers, so by proxy you have to learn to adjust play style. Even some of my friend list bears sadly. I'm looking forward to hitting 55 with my mage so I can start on my bear. I've got a lot of frustrated tanking to do.

And yes, a good healing mage is probably as uncommon as a good tank bear in PUG's.

Pandamoni
04-23-2011, 12:33 PM

I play as part of a group, I buff, debuff, heal and res, but I also like to cause damage. I like nuking stuff. You can multitask as a mage.

I do think there are guidelines for playing and as mages we should keep the group buffed, healed and res'd but if we play close and don't get killed and don't get anyone else killed I don't see the harm.

I think that sometimes you might catch people at a bad time, too. Sometimes I'm just kind of playing crappy because I'm not totally paying attention or because I'm spaced out, thinking about life while I play.

I do agree that power leveled players are a problem, but I also think that people assuming someone isn't playing right because they don't play the way you think they should could also become problematic. At the end of the day it's a game, we're supposed to have fun, so if you're in a bad PUG you should bail and host a game where you can warn and boot if they're playing poorly (I'll PM people and tell them, "use skills or I boot", or whatever I want to see them do that they're not doing).

Pandamoni
04-23-2011, 12:35 PM
And yes, a good healing mage is probably as uncommon as a good tank bear in PUG's.

I've found that since the update my heal skill doesn't seem to have as far of a range. I'll be standing fairly close to someone and heal and it won't do any healing. Very weird. I do spam heal but lately it has appeared I'm not healing as much because my healing seems to have shorter range. I wonder if other mages are running across this.

red
04-23-2011, 01:20 PM
i started in november, but i didn't get plat till like February, so i already knew alot about the game before i went to plasma to level (from lv 35-47) but now it seems like more people are power leveling from an early rank.
when i was a newbie i loved to do quests, get items ect. leveling wasn't even really on my mind till about lv 20. now i will meet a level 5 and in 2 weeks he'll be a level 50:/ (not someone's twink, a new player)