PDA

View Full Version : What info are bears looking for out there?

Ellyidol
04-23-2011, 08:31 AM
Hey fellow bears.

As you might know, I've written a couple guides, bear type mostly. I'm eager to have a new one to start on, but I'm not quite sure what exactly would help and answer whatever questions there might be.

Bow/Dex Bears are done, Attack Bears done.

Pure Tank? Hybrid Str/Dex?

Let me know what you guys are interested in, don't limit it to one, and I'll try my best to gather info on them and compile them into a guide. I love making them as well :)

MITSUISUN
04-23-2011, 10:45 AM
int bear :p you can try my sets etc

Formora
04-23-2011, 11:36 AM
Yes! I'd like to see an int bear guide.

mejslll
04-23-2011, 04:41 PM
i was building a str bear, and really felt like something was lacking ... had a hard time staying up with ppl and staying alive the equip i had was similar to others, so... i asked around studied others bears that were doing well and they all had much more dex than i did

so i would like to see a str/dex bear... my goal is like str - 200 ish; dex - 75 ish or what ever you suggest

NeoQueen
04-23-2011, 04:51 PM
I would like to see a guide on the best weapons to use and which stats you should be more worried about...ie, crit, hit, dps, dodge, etc. Especially with the multiple lvl 55 gear it can be somewhat confusing as to what non-pink gear one should use. Also, I am a purebred and am wondering about rooter gear and cleaner gear.

Ellyidol
04-23-2011, 08:17 PM
Int bears. I guess I could make one, I just don't see the point in them though, no offense to any int bears out there.

I guess they have really good clearing ability (AoE Staff + Skill), so I'll focus more on that?

@mej

Str/Dex +1, I'll keep that in mind.

@Neo

Have you seen the complete 55 Warrior Gear List? It's in my signature if you haven't, but I'll keep that in mind too.

Thanks guys!

NeoQueen
04-23-2011, 08:58 PM
Just read it, but while it gives you all the stats, which one is better? Should u go with something that gives u dodge and less crit, or the one that gives u more crit and health, or the one with damage and hit and crit....u see how the dilemma can arise? Also, even though there are "sets" like all cleaners, should u go that route or mix and match?

Ellyidol
04-23-2011, 09:21 PM
Just read it, but while it gives you all the stats, which one is better? Should u go with something that gives u dodge and less crit, or the one that gives u more crit and health, or the one with damage and hit and crit....u see how the dilemma can arise? Also, even though there are "sets" like all cleaners, should u go that route or mix and match?

Yeah, I understand what you mean :)

Will work on that as soon as I can, thanks!

MITSUISUN
04-24-2011, 03:11 PM
I've only grouped with Htiek heavyly on runs, he is int/dex uses gem blast staff on mobs, mystery bow on boss (might have changed now)

but then again, he is one of the elite bears that can run in anything so it's hard to judge heh.

When you swith int bear elly, go with eye glass face:P and test my full enchanted set with wand/bracer/staff/blast etc

go smart bear gogogo~

BlazeMystic
04-24-2011, 03:17 PM
I did a couple of random runs with Htiek ages ago and I thought he was brilliant. Do you know whether an dex/int twink bear for pvp would be any good?

KaotiicxDream
04-24-2011, 03:27 PM
I would love to see an INT Bear guide but also a Tank guide aswell ^^

P.S. I got good tips for Tanks ^^

Roc
04-24-2011, 03:42 PM
I love my int bear but I can't tell you how many times people have asked me to rev them...(sigh)

Conradin
04-24-2011, 03:57 PM
Im makin a intbear guide.

Sky../
04-24-2011, 04:57 PM
How bout your thought process while playing different types of bear?

Ex. I'll cast skillA, quickly followed by skillB because it will benefit skillC, and is also comboed with skillE but has a delay so i'll squeeze skill D in between.

(hope my example made sense)

Or like cast beckon, hellscream while going behind enemy, then stomp. Then while mob is stunned, you do slash A and B first before C, because C has stun and you want the stun to activate right before the beckon stun goes away so you keep the enemy stunned longer.

Otukura
04-24-2011, 08:03 PM
I assume you've seen Htiek play? Him + a staff/dex mage will take out a mob in one go. Works very nicely, then have a few birds trailing for stragglers/boss.

(He's an intbear)

Actually got me thinking about making one.

Otukura
04-24-2011, 08:10 PM
I would love to see an INT Bear guide but also a Tank guide aswell ^^

P.S. I got good tips for Tanks ^^

Just saw this, check out Xenile's guide. FN is Baked-Potato

Something like "Shed the noob bear status" for it's title.

kiitz
04-27-2011, 03:36 PM
I assume you've seen Htiek play? Him + a staff/dex mage will take out a mob in one go. Works very nicely, then have a few birds trailing for stragglers/boss.

(He's an intbear)

Actually got me thinking about making one.

Does INT bear do more AOE dmg than a dualspec, dex geared bear?

Being able to clear an entire set of mobs with just 1 other player is really attractive actually, especially if you have 1 person you play with a lot and you know each other's moves (beckon spots, skill order, etc).

Would the ability to clear an entire set of mobs in one go with just 2 people more due to the fact that a dex mage or a staff mage does so much damage?

Would a dualspecced, dex geared bear be able to clear an entire set of mobs in one go if paired with a dex mage or staff mage as well?

kiitz
04-27-2011, 03:41 PM
Elly, I have a question for you. Are you still doing a majority of your tanking in Dex gear? I started switching over to dex gear tanking after I saw you do it one night. Which boards do you tank in dex mode?

Also, quick question regarding taunt to lvl 6. It seems like a lot of ppl only leave it at 1, and I would too if I were tanking in str gear. In Str gear, we pretty much don't need any cooldowns or anything since there is way more than enough damage mitigation. However, when tanking in Dex, I find I have to rotate all my cooldowns in order to not spam pots. In this case, every bit of additional dmg mitigation helps and the stacking dodge from lvl 6 taunt seems to help a lot. What do you (or any other pro dex tanking bears -- Mr.Wallace?) think about that? Doesn't really make a difference for you? Thx.

Kiitz

Arterra
04-27-2011, 03:44 PM
int bear guide really just not a necessity, considering the vast difference in ability compared to other builds. if you are making a int bear or int bird, it is not for the power. it is for te lulz.

is there a proper dual dex/str dual bear guide? telling you when to switch, what skills to get depending on str or dex preference, how early you can start the duality?

Ellyidol
04-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Does INT bear do more AOE dmg than a dualspec, dex geared bear?

Being able to clear an entire set of mobs with just 1 other player is really attractive actually, especially if you have 1 person you play with a lot and you know each other's moves (beckon spots, skill order, etc).

Would the ability to clear an entire set of mobs in one go with just 2 people more due to the fact that a dex mage or a staff mage does so much damage?

Would a dualspecced, dex geared bear be able to clear an entire set of mobs in one go if paired with a dex mage or staff mage as well?

Theoretically, the int bear would be the fastest in clearing mobs among all 3. It'd be because of the AoE normal attacks of the blast staves they are, hopefully, using.

Before the plat-for-elixir update, my bow bear was able to clear through mobs in one go solo, now without it, a decent mage/bird following up still does the trick :)

Elly, I have a question for you. Are you still doing a majority of your tanking in Dex gear? I started switching over to dex gear tanking after I saw you do it one night. Which boards do you tank in dex mode?

Also, quick question regarding taunt to lvl 6. It seems like a lot of ppl only leave it at 1, and I would too if I were tanking in str gear. In Str gear, we pretty much don't need any cooldowns or anything since there is way more than enough damage mitigation. However, when tanking in Dex, I find I have to rotate all my cooldowns in order to not spam pots. In this case, every bit of additional dmg mitigation helps and the stacking dodge from lvl 6 taunt seems to help a lot. What do you (or any other pro dex tanking bears -- Mr.Wallace?) think about that? Doesn't really make a difference for you? Thx.

Kiitz

As of last night, I'm officially a bow bear all the time. I'm always a bow bear in PvE anyway, and seldom pull out the str gear for PvP, but even then I'd prefer a tanky dex set up.

I can lead fine with a bow bear setup in any map, although I do use pots quite often if the group isn't fast enough to clear after I've set up the mobs. I use a bow though, a talon+wing setup should make it way easier to tank. The only time I actually use strength gear in PvE was rounding up, but even that I don't find that useful, I'd rather clear faster normally with my dex gear :)

As for the Taunt, the only reason I'd keep it above 1 is for PvP or if PvE tanking was extremely hard, which in BS' case, it isn't. In PvP, every little dodge, armour, hs counts, especially since we bears have that range disadvantage (even while on a bow bear). For PvE though, you just need that Taunt to gain initial aggro, and there's really no proof showing that there is a difference from 1-6 Taunt in terms of getting aggro, just the dodge buff.

int bear guide really just not a necessity, considering the vast difference in ability compared to other builds. if you are making a int bear or int bird, it is not for the power. it is for te lulz.

is there a proper dual dex/str dual bear guide? telling you when to switch, what skills to get depending on str or dex preference, how early you can start the duality?

No hybrid str/dex guide yet :( Will try and start one up as soon as I finish with the one I'm currently doing. It's much like the enchantress gear setup guide, different options to use :)

NeoQueen
04-27-2011, 10:00 PM
Goodness gracious....all this talk of dualspeced and dex/int/str just gets my blood going. I feel like I'm taking the easy way out by using only pure bred characters and not mutts (I have dogs) but I have things much easier in terms of strategy, equipment, and skill usage. Is there really that big a difference?

braluk
04-28-2011, 05:51 AM
How about (more realistically than pure int) becoming a pure dex bear (or at least something like 170dex/100str bear)

Ellyidol
04-28-2011, 06:04 AM
Goodness gracious....all this talk of dualspeced and dex/int/str just gets my blood going. I feel like I'm taking the easy way out by using only pure bred characters and not mutts (I have dogs) but I have things much easier in terms of strategy, equipment, and skill usage. Is there really that big a difference?

Pure dex birds or pure int mages are the best options for the other two classes, IMO. It's just us bears that need to be hybrid in order to perform well. In my opinion, yes there's a big difference when going pure str vs hybrid.

Wallace is working on something about this, hopefully he'll finish soon. From what he showed me, it would be very helpful understanding the stats, builds, and why hybrid is best :)

How about (more realistically than pure int) becoming a pure dex bear (or at least something like 170dex/100str bear)

Like my previous answer to Neo, Wallace has that data too. Theoretically, pure dex only allows you to have good normal attack damage. A chunk of a bear's damage comes from skills and not the normal attacks, so having high or decent str is needed too (especially because of stat-driven skills, str for bears).

Mr.Wallace
04-28-2011, 07:48 AM
...Wallace is working on something about this, hopefully he'll finish soon...
*start to type faster* :)

Ellyidol
04-28-2011, 07:50 AM
*start to type faster* :)

No rush, my guide hasn't moved either :p

masterx3
04-28-2011, 07:58 AM
int bear please?

FluffNStuff
04-28-2011, 08:11 AM
Int bears are pure fun, and great for blasting around with an extra character, but I would say they do not have a great advantage. One thing to consider is when using a weakness proccing wand/staff, a bear can self activate terror. This would be a ALOT better if there were AOE weakness staffs, but I have not found one.

neko
04-28-2011, 11:16 AM
I've accepted high pot consumption as part of the role while tanking in my dex gear (re: Catacombs). Similar to Ellyidol's preference, I've just about gone exclusively dex, unless by request to pull Stronghold. Even then, I'm convinced it's faster to clear that map with an experienced group, especially now that rounding up has been nerfed.

MITSUISUN
04-28-2011, 02:44 PM
My bear will be my first toon experimenting dual spec or unique build. I fully enjoyed full dex and full int for my bird and Mage. Having the chance to run and get to know all the great bears out there, when bear is 55, it's gonna be very fun for me to respec him daily just so i can go int dex str BS sets all the time ( heck i even bought plats for the purpose heh )

I am enjoying bear just like when i started Mage after bird 56. And of course thanks to all the wonderful guides on forums and pointers that i see in game. It helps me understand bear and appreciate bear just like any other race.

We seen a lot of str and dex and tanking related, that's why i said earlier about wanting to learn int bear route, because it is unique, it is different, and it's going to change the traditional bear skill attribute. Because i am very interested in the damage output of using staff/blast staff along with bear's rage and full on lv6 skill damage is like.

Elly and Wally need to type faster, and i need to level faster too :p

braluk
04-28-2011, 05:55 PM
Outside of builds and all that, I've always been curious on maximizing effective use of where I assign skill points. for example, can I just leave taunt at lvl 1 or 2 if it means I can assign points elsewhere and still gain aggro. Or even using heal skill at level 6 so that you can throw away some tank gear in place of dex (yet still possess more H/s than your average bear). Unique unconventional use of skills would be interesting to follow. Something also helpful is seeing what would be an optimal build would be for a hybrid bear (not fully dual sped, not pure str). I'm currently a bear that fits into that category and I've been tinkering around with being able to have enough str to load any tank gear I want without a preset loadout, but also enough dex to bring my hit and crit to optimal levels so that I can survive in most situations as either primary tank running into mobs or dealing some serious dmg in pvp. At the same time, I've tinkered around different hybrid builds and different gear to get an optimal bear- base hit over 90, dodge over 20, armor over 130+, skill dmg at peak ranges (I haven't really been able to find a guide on how each stat point for bears affects skill dmg, so my experience with it has mostly been trial and error)- in fact it'd be interesting to compare skill dmg range for pure str, pure dual, and hybrid all using the same gear. Currently I'm standing at 213 str and 102 dex with base str right above min requirements of 55 gear so I don't need to do sequential loadouts. It's more than enough to equip my dex rings, and I can get through the game without too much trouble. Since my goal is to not use dex gear, but only to use dex stats to optimally boost my strength bear without sacrificing too much the ability to survive, perhaps there is room for guidework here.

Bagwaan
05-08-2011, 08:36 PM
Would like to see something on a hybrid bear.(a definition to start) Some thoughts on skill pad setups. Skill cycles, or skill rotations against bosses. Some type of combo help. A guide on what not to do would be cool too.(stomping on fire grates for one)
all I can think of for now

Yvonnel
05-08-2011, 08:39 PM
Elly. I'd like to see a pure tank guide. I am just now starting to play a bear and like to be able to do the basic bear duty before I try anything else.

Ellyidol
05-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Would like to see something on a hybrid bear.(a definition to start) Some thoughts on skill pad setups. Skill cycles, or skill rotations against bosses. Some type of combo help. A guide on what not to do would be cool too.(stomping on fire grates for one)
all I can think of for now

Regarding skill maps and cycles, you mind find a bit here http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?23211-Meet-Mrwallace

In general, my skill cycle doesn't exactly change much, especially against bosses. There isn't an immediate rush to do damage only or debuff only on bosses, other than the quick Taunt/Beckon just to keep it in place.

Elly. I'd like to see a pure tank guide. I am just now starting to play a bear and like to be able to do the basic bear duty before I try anything else.

Have you seen my Balefort Sewers Bear Play Guide? It has a video of me in it, although pre GCD, I still think it applies to tanking :) It's in my sig.