PDA

View Full Version : Ventrilo - Only for the PRO's!

Reaper
05-26-2010, 01:36 PM
We over at 'Legends' have a private ventrilo - funded by 'Bodhii' (THANKS).

Read this (http://www.theappradar.com/pl/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=151) (http://www.theappradar.com/pl/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=151) to join us and talk about trade and such!

Thanks Bodhii for funding.
Thanks Smokescreen for Administrating.

Esus
05-26-2010, 01:47 PM
I still have no idea what vent is...

ed anger
05-26-2010, 02:06 PM
I still have no idea what vent is...

http://tinyurl.com/bq8m36

Diz
05-26-2010, 02:08 PM
Vent is a VOIP program that is server based and client based. Servers can be hosted by companies for cheap [few cents per client slot] or hosted on any box, tbh. Client program is a small download that requires at least speakers or a headset to listen to other people, and a microphone to talk. Talking can be done either via a Push-To-Talk hotkey, or by microphone sensitivity threshold.

It's pretty much necessary in any online game where coordination is necessary. In fact it's pretty much the best telecommunications utility ever. If iPhone had a vent had like it does a Team Speak app, I'd probably never use my phone ever again for calls.

You should check it out some time, Es. Groups who use Vent will always win against non-VOIPed groups.

Also, to the main poster - Most of the guilds here could really use a Vent-spy widget on their main page. It's pretty simple, really. Just stick this code [modified for your Vent server IP/port and web address] somewhere in your site layout - <iframe src="http://vspy.guildlaunch.net/srv/minispy.php?Address=boron.typefrag.com&amp;Port=4043&amp;J =on&amp;Scroll=3&amp;T=8&amp;E=hide&amp;Main=&amp;Color=TTTTTT&amp;S=&amp;C=&amp;U =&amp;Names=&amp;Compact=" width="190" height="240" frameborder="0"></iframe>

It will end up looking like a smaller version of this - http://vspy.guildlaunch.net/srv/vspy.php?Address=boron.typefrag.com&Port=4043

Obliteration
05-26-2010, 02:27 PM
Vent allows you to chat on a computer with an Internet connection.

Esus
05-26-2010, 03:19 PM
Uh...ok? Is it a free service or do you have to pay by the minute? If it's the latter, I won't even bother.

Diz
05-26-2010, 03:23 PM
It is completely free, as long as you are just a client. People DO pay to host Ventrilo, though. Obviously not you, so of course it's free for you.

ed anger
05-26-2010, 03:33 PM
mumble is similar, and free.

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/

Esus
05-26-2010, 03:36 PM
Oh ok...so is this an app for the iPhone or do I need to be sitting at my comp to use this? I only ask because I have next to zero ambition to sit at my computer to use this vent thing while playin the game.

Laska
05-26-2010, 04:33 PM
Oh ok...so is this an app for the iPhone or do I need to be sitting at my comp to use this? I only ask because I have next to zero ambition to sit at my computer to use this vent thing while playin the game.

Lol that's why I don't even bother using vent unless I had a lappy but I don't so oh well .

Diz
05-26-2010, 05:11 PM
Yes, Esus; you would need to be sitting at your computer like a nerd with a headset on talking into a microphone while playing a role playing game on your cellular telephone.

Esus
05-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Bummer...sounds like an awesome thingy majig, but I don't have a head set compatible with my laptop, nor am I really all that compelled to go out and buy one, so it looks like I'll be missin out on the voice chat with all ya cool ppl. Sorry I know you all wanna hear my sexy voice, but I doubt it will happen anytime soon.

Reaper
05-26-2010, 05:21 PM
ROFL, although we do use this for casual chat.
Did you know that I use my Guitar Hero mic to talk through vent? XD

Esus
05-26-2010, 05:26 PM
I would use my Xbox live mic...if my dogs hadn't mistaken it for a chew toy.

ed anger
05-26-2010, 05:28 PM
get a wireless headset, then you dont have to sit at the computer.

Reaper
05-26-2010, 05:31 PM
Mr ed anger, makes a good point. Yet, what if a meteor came down from the sky, bounced of a cow, catapulted of an electric fence and roundhouse kicked by Chuck Norris, right in your face. That would not have happened if you were sat down on your comp ;/

Esus
05-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Well of course I could use my Bluetooth head set...if my comp was compatible with it, which at this current time and date it's not. Great suggestion tho.

Diz
05-26-2010, 05:40 PM
Yeah I used a bluetooth piece one time for vent as a backup when my real headset died.

It was nice to talk smack to idiots while going to the bathroom at the same time.

I bet you could update your bluetooth or driver or something and get it compatible. Or you could get a bluetooth adapter - they cost about five dollars.

Esus
05-26-2010, 05:50 PM
Ehh... Sorry I'm lazy like this guy...
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/zz185/ShiftyEsus/59533bd2.jpg

tehmastera
05-27-2010, 05:30 AM
hmm i wouldnt mind joining A guild.... :)

King Richie
05-27-2010, 09:28 AM
Flammin we do not appreciate that at all we do not advertise our guild in your thread so please take down that post

Antonis
05-27-2010, 11:13 AM
Might as well play wow if I'm sitting at my puter.

Azrael
05-27-2010, 11:38 AM
@esus, you can always download it and just listen to what people are saying. It also has a chat feature for people who don't have mics.

Huzzah
05-28-2010, 05:36 AM
Might as well play wow if I'm sitting at my puter.

This is exactly what I was thinking. If I have to sit at my computer anyway, then I might as well play any other MMO that is out there. They all have better class balance, better game mechanics, better game depth, better performance, better control, and a better player base.

The main reason I love PL is the fact I can play it anywhere I want. It's too bad there isn't a VOIP function that can be used while playing PL on my iPad though. I'd set it up and use it in a heart beat.

ed anger
05-28-2010, 09:00 AM
Phonespeex is an iPhone app that lets you use Teamspeak

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/1311898.html

smokescreen
05-28-2010, 11:29 AM
Vent is a VOIP program that is server based and client based. Servers can be hosted by companies for cheap [few cents per client slot] or hosted on any box, tbh. Client program is a small download that requires at least speakers or a headset to listen to other people, and a microphone to talk. Talking can be done either via a Push-To-Talk hotkey, or by microphone sensitivity threshold.

It's pretty much necessary in any online game where coordination is necessary. In fact it's pretty much the best telecommunications utility ever. If iPhone had a vent had like it does a Team Speak app, I'd probably never use my phone ever again for calls.

You should check it out some time, Es. Groups who use Vent will always win against non-VOIPed groups.

Also, to the main poster - Most of the guilds here could really use a Vent-spy widget on their main page. It's pretty simple, really. Just stick this code [modified for your Vent server IP/port and web address] somewhere in your site layout - <iframe src="http://vspy.guildlaunch.net/srv/minispy.php?Address=boron.typefrag.com&amp;Port=4043&amp;J =on&amp;Scroll=3&amp;T=8&amp;E=hide&amp;Main=&amp;Color=TTTTTT&amp;S=&amp;C=&amp;U =&amp;Names=&amp;Compact=" width="190" height="240" frameborder="0"></iframe>

It will end up looking like a smaller version of this - http://vspy.guildlaunch.net/srv/vspy.php?Address=boron.typefrag.com&Port=4043

Thanx for the heads up Diz...i will get to adding something like this too our site!

Esus
06-15-2010, 01:58 PM
@Azrael: This it tru, but I really really like the concept of the premise of this game. That being it's a "moble" and I don't have to sit at my comp and listen rhetoric from faceless voices and hope someone looks at their comp to read whatever I type. If I wanted to a game, I surely wouldn't want to be sitting in front of my comp, otherwise I'd be playing a coputer game and not PL...such is life and it is really sad that some guilds won't even look at applicants enless they promise to download and use vent...not being mean or throwing stones, but that's kinda border line. ;)

Diz
06-15-2010, 03:39 PM
I understand what you're getting at Esus, but thems the breaks.

Honestly, Vent helps groups not only communicate Combat tactics on-the-fly, but also heightens the social aspect of a guild. Much moreso than forums, in fact.

Literally the main reason to play an MMO on your PC is for the social guild aspects, otherwise people would only play FPSes. Vent brings that all together in a real-time intimate medium.

While I fully understand that the problems arising from things like Vent, the only option is to either do it as well or to accept the fact that Vented groups will always have the upper hand in a competitive situation like a PvP arena. For example, if I am screwing around with just my brother or soloing in a Battlefield game, and recognize a clan all on the other team beating my team's butt, then I'll switch servers. A PUG has no chance at beating a Vented group. It's just a fact. So you either man-up and fight against an almost certain defeat, or you move on to a different game/map/server/location. Because it's never going to stop once it's in action. So the floodgates are open, Vent is being utilized by some groups/guilds in PL, and that's why other guilds are matching them and making it a requirement. From their perspective, it's obvious - why handicap yourself with lack of real-time communication? When a group of individuals find an advantage, other people will match that advantage whenever possible.

My PC MMO guild has Vent as a requirement, and I'd be absolutely shocked if it wasn't. I would probably not be a part if it wasn't.

There also use to be a stigma, back in the day. Around 2000, I felt like a dork when friends or whatever would see me with a big headset on talking about stupid video game stuff. But nowadays it's almost completely shed that stigma and it's almost necessary.

Just try it out - if you don't like it, then try and find a more casual (yet competitive) group that doesn't require Vent. It's not a complete game-changer... but almost.

Esus
06-18-2010, 04:00 PM
So here's a question for you and guilds who require vent. Say your playing with someone who is a really good team player, and you ask them to join your guild or they try to join a guild that requiers vent, and they tell you that they are 1. Deaf or 2. They have significantly pronounced speech impediment or 3. They are mute(they can hear you but cannot speak). What do you do then? Blantelty discriminate against them, or withdraw you inventaion? How can a guild whoes goal is to have the best players around, say no to a player who is any number of the listed above, and claim they are great?

Reaper
06-18-2010, 04:17 PM
Thing is, we don't want the Best of the Best. We are a casual guild. If somebody has disability then we feel sympathy for them and would not in any way discriminate against them...
Anyway, we are not FORCING members of the guild to get Vent...

Dizko
06-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Again..Legends in no way 'requires' members to use Vent.