PDA

View Full Version : Moving to New York!

Wicked Caccavari
04-25-2011, 06:30 PM
Screw it, I'm moving to New York and it's final.

The variety of New York is the spice of life, and let's admit, Burlington (town I'm from) isn't the hotbed of diversity. New York is a true melting pot, and the mix of people creates a wonderful energy in my opinion. It'll give me the chance to learn about people different from me, and to explore their life experience.

I can get 2 pocketfuls of cultures for free or very close to free. There's lots of park, museums, monuments, etc. There's tons of restaurants to choose from so I'll never run out of places.

Mass-transit system: This. Right. Here. There's no need to have a car. When New York has the best-mass transit system in the world.

I know it's expensive to live there. but I just love city life. I don't care if I'm paying $12 for lunch, $1,000/month for a rent. I'm not worried about being dirt poor because I know I will be.

Although, I'll need some advice of a J.O.B.

I've heard I should go to temp agencies, look in the newspaper and make some calls, lots of things actually. What should I do? Some of everything or is there a better method.

If there's other advice to be given, besides "Don't move to New York, I'd love to listen.

Junside
04-25-2011, 06:37 PM
Hey, where to? I'm in Queens. Let's chill! :D

I've looked in local papers for job listings and to be honest, it's no help.

Craigslist is useful if you got a car. You can find free furniture and some electric appliances to pick up for free if you really need them and short on money. I swear, you could open your own Kohl's with that site.

Snagajob.com has tons of listings for jobs from major brands if you have little/no experience.

Bus/Subway is 2.25 a ride. Kinda expensive. Get a bike. lol kidding (maybe...)

RedRyder
04-25-2011, 06:37 PM
Make sure to get an office job or any job that requires a degree. If you don't meet the requirements I suggest you get it taken care of before making the move :). I grew up in NYC and I can tell ya, transportation is extremely easy and you don't need a car at all. It'll take getting used to but you'll love it. Make the move!

Conradin
04-25-2011, 06:44 PM
Good luck! My uncles live in Man.

Wicked Caccavari
04-25-2011, 07:36 PM
Hey, where to? I'm in Queens. Let's chill! :D

I've looked in local papers for job listings and to be honest, it's no help.

Craigslist is useful if you got a car. You can find free furniture and some electric appliances to pick up for free if you really need them and short on money. I swear, you could open your own Kohl's with that site.

Snagajob.com has tons of listings for jobs from major brands if you have little/no experience.

Bus/Subway is 2.25 a ride. Kinda expensive. Get a bike. lol kidding (maybe...)

To be honest, I haven't decided yet. I wanna see different parts of the city before I settle. The only thing I know for sure is I'll be in Manhattan at the start of my journey.

Sure man, we'll chill when I get there.

Make sure to get an office job or any job that requires a degree. If you don't meet the requirements I suggest you get it taken care of before making the move :). I grew up in NYC and I can tell ya, transportation is extremely easy and you don't need a car at all. It'll take getting used to but you'll love it. Make the move!

I plan on taking the first job I can snatch to start with.

I'm super excited about the transportation because where I live (Burlington), it'd be near impossible to live without a car. There is no mass-transportation system or anything like it close to here.

Lesrider
04-25-2011, 07:37 PM
Forget public transit! Get a bicycle!!!

Wicked Caccavari
04-25-2011, 07:43 PM

Do people actually have bikes in New York? I think it'd be too busy in some parts.

Lesrider
04-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Do people actually have bikes in New York? I think it'd be too busy in some parts.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes!!!!

Pros:
No gas
No traffic
No transit fees (save over $100/month)
Fastest way around the city -- no waiting for trains/buses/traffic
Exercise
Fresh air
You don't feel lousy from being on a cramped train or sitting in traffic. You feel energized when you get to wherever you're going.

Kossi
04-25-2011, 07:50 PM

have you ever been to seoul? never ride in a cable car. never. (lets say theres no room to open your mouth the breathe)

Wicked Caccavari
04-25-2011, 08:00 PM

Pros:
No gas
No traffic
Exercise
Fresh air
You don't feel lousy from being on a cramped train or sitting in traffic. You feel energized when you get to wherever you're going.

I suppose I'll give it a try and buy a cheap bike.

Lesrider
04-25-2011, 08:01 PM
I suppose I'll give it a try and buy a cheap bike.

Try Craigslist. I've never bought a new bike.

Wicked Caccavari
04-25-2011, 08:18 PM
Try Craigslist. I've never bought a new bike.

I'll be poor so I'm definitely going to not buy a new bike.

karmakali
04-25-2011, 11:31 PM

Pros:
No gas
No traffic
Exercise
Fresh air

Les....you forgot to list cons....
1. Rain
2. Sleet
3. Snow
4. Moving vehicles
5. Rabid dogs
6. Bicycle gangs

;)

Otherwise its all good like Les said ;)

Also....might want to increase that rent portion of your budget or you will be living in a closet!
It is wonderful though and a goal worth working toward. Good luck!

Lesrider
04-25-2011, 11:33 PM
Les....you forgot to list cons....
1. Rain
2. Sleet
3. Snow
4. Moving vehicles
5. Rabid dogs
6. Bicycle gangs

;)

Otherwise its all good like Les said ;)

Also....might want to increase that rent portion of your budget or you will be living in a closet!
It is wonderful though and a goal worth working toward. Good luck!

Lol rabid dogs and bicycle gangs? You're gonna scare him away from moving!

Wicked Caccavari
04-26-2011, 12:45 AM
Lol rabid dogs and bicycle gangs? You're gonna scare him away from moving!

Ice Storm + Fire Storm. 'Nough said.

karmakali
04-26-2011, 03:08 AM
I just thought he should have full disclosure about big city life that's all :)

ratava
04-26-2011, 03:39 AM
OP: IF you can couch-surf/crash at friends during your time first arriving it would save you a lot of cash and get you up and running sooner. Always offer a nominal fee out of courtesy or ask if there are chores etc you can pay back with. But also make it clear you need to get a job fast and that is the no.1 thing and if they have any leads/links for that? Hunting for a job is like having 2 jobs remember, so work hard and fast! Sign up with suitable agencies before arriving and arrange documents and resumes and all that stuff.

Bike is great idea: Watch traffic, don't get it stolen and you'll see the city much more that way and it's cheap/good exercise.

I wish I was moving to NYC! ;)

Wicked Caccavari
04-26-2011, 09:18 AM
OP: IF you can couch-surf/crash at friends during your time first arriving it would save you a lot of cash and get you up and running sooner. Always offer a nominal fee out of courtesy or ask if there are chores etc you can pay back with. But also make it clear you need to get a job fast and that is the no.1 thing and if they have any leads/links for that? Hunting for a job is like having 2 jobs remember, so work hard and fast! Sign up with suitable agencies before arriving and arrange documents and resumes and all that stuff.

Bike is great idea: Watch traffic, don't get it stolen and you'll see the city much more that way and it's cheap/good exercise.

Thanks for the advice.

I'm going to try to couch-surf for a while. I don't know anyone in New York so hopefully I get some luck.

I'm going to be looking for a job the day after I get there, I wanna explore the city the first day. I'll make sure I sign up for some agencies before I go.

I think I'm going to wait a bit on the bike part so I can learn the the city better.

Junside
04-26-2011, 09:23 AM

Man that reminds me... these two Black guys stole my bike when I was 14. It was like $900. I managed to get it back because someone got in their way and pushed him down. This was in broad daylight too so they were being stupid.

You'll rarely get robbed, but you should always be aware of the possibility. Subway trains always remind to keep your belongings close and it's pretty damn good advice. I don't think you'll experience much of poorly mannered people in Manhattan, but that place is expensive to live. Probably a bit noisy too. But, walk down Madison Square Garden, SOHO, etc and you'll pretty much see supermodel ladies walking around ;)

Lesrider
04-26-2011, 09:25 AM
Yeah, my wallet was stolen years ago on a train during the crowded Christmas season. So I stopped carrying a wallet.
I've had a bike stolen as well a few years ago, but now I never lock my bike up in Chinatown.

BeardedBear
04-26-2011, 09:59 AM
Burlington, NJ?

JERSEY, REPRESENT.

Wicked Caccavari
04-26-2011, 10:06 AM
Yeah, my wallet was stolen years ago on a train during the crowded Christmas season. So I stopped carrying a wallet.
I've had a bike stolen as well a few years ago, but now I never lock my bike up in Chinatown.

I'd put like 10 locks on my bike.

Burlington, NJ?

JERSEY, REPRESENT.

Burlington, NC. Haha.

Benaorn
04-26-2011, 10:23 AM
Check out your new studio for $700 a month :D.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZSdrtEqcHU&feature=player_embedded&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1

Wicked Caccavari
04-26-2011, 10:27 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZSdrtEqcHU&feature=player_embedded&safety_mode=true&persist_safety_mode=1

Huh?

/Caccavari

Junside
04-26-2011, 10:37 AM

Holy crap... 90 sq ft!? For $700 too... Well, it's Manhattan, and a great location.

My home in Queens is $1100/month and 2 bedroom, medium size bathroom and a backyard which we never use.

noobmigo
04-26-2011, 10:59 AM
Burlington, NJ?

JERSEY, REPRESENT.

Joysey!
That where you live?

Wicked Caccavari
04-26-2011, 11:03 AM
Holy crap... 90 sq ft!? For $700 too... Well, it's Manhattan, and a great location.

My home in Queens is $1100/month and 2 bedroom, medium size bathroom and a backyard which we never use.

Nice. I'll take the couch for a while.

noobmigo
04-26-2011, 11:04 AM

No way, a backyard in NYC!

Lesrider
04-26-2011, 11:06 AM
No way, a backyard in NYC!

Queens has lots of grass and backyards.
If he said he had a backyard in Manhattan, then I'd be jealous.

noobmigo
04-26-2011, 11:08 AM
Queens has lots of grass and backyards.
If he said he had a backyard in Manhattan, then I'd be jealous.

He said Queens? I saw "Backyard" and I was like OMFG!
And backyard in manhattan would be amazing

Lesrider
04-26-2011, 11:11 AM
He said Queens? I saw "Backyard" and I was like OMFG!
And backyard in manhattan would be amazing

Yeah, he said Queens -- go reread it ;)
My parents live in Queens and have a backyard -- it's the one thing I miss about Queens -- being able to take out a lounge chair and relax in peace and quiet. And the raspberries and blackberries.

noobmigo
04-26-2011, 11:12 AM
Yeah, he said Queens -- go reread it ;)
My parents live in Queens and have a backyard -- it's the one thing I miss about Queens -- being able to take out a lounge chair and relax in peace and quiet. And the raspberries and blackberries.

If you miss that crap, go to where I live. (Arkansas, the natural state.) To a person in NYC, I guess it'd be cool, but I think Arkansas is POSTIVELY BORING.

Junside
04-26-2011, 11:24 AM
We have a blackberry tree in front of our house. :D Queens is the most peaceful neighborhood. But then again, I live in total Asian town(not really, it is very diverse here: Asian Indian, Pakistani, Chinese, Korean, Italian, Polish, etc...

Can't beat a slice of pizza in NYC. They're made by the Italians with hands blessed by the Pizza God. :p

Wicked Caccavari
04-26-2011, 11:28 AM
We have a blackberry tree in front of our house. :D Queens is the most peaceful neighborhood. But then again, I live in total Asian town(not really, it is very diverse here: Asian Indian, Pakistani, Chinese, Korean, Italian, Polish, etc...

Can't beat a slice of pizza in NYC. They're made by the Italians with hands blessed by the Pizza God. :p

Is the commute from Manhattan to Queens and the other boroughs easy?

Junside
04-26-2011, 11:33 AM
Is the commute from Manhattan to Queens and the other boroughs easy?

Well from my house to Time Square,

a 10 min walk to the 7 train (subway) or a 5 min bus ride
(not that much faster since I live next to Norther Blvd(super busy)

and about 20-30 min ride on the train (no transfers needed)

I'm thinking, if you're going to live in the city, all answers point to not getting a car. People even park in front of my house to take the LIRR a block down to the city.

Wicked Caccavari
04-26-2011, 11:47 AM
Well from my house to Time Square,

a 10 min walk to the 7 train (subway) or a 5 min bus ride
(not that much faster since I live next to Norther Blvd(super busy)

and about 20-30 min ride on the train (no transfers needed)

I'm thinking, if you're going to live in the city, all answers point to not getting a car. People even park in front of my house to take the LIRR a block down to the city.

I definitely plan on NOT having a car. That'd take all the fun out of living in New York.

DaiJue
04-26-2011, 12:19 PM
If you want to enjoy the city life, find a roommate and live in the lower east side, you can probably get a room for like $800-$1000, or you can get a studio for yourself around $1500. Biking has gotten a bit better in Manhattan because there are more bike lanes, although it's still pretty dangerous because of the crazy cabs and aggressive drivers. If you get a bike, get a helmet too.

You can do picnic and stuff at the sheep meadows in Central Park (if you're in Manhattan), or Prospect Park (if you're in Brooklyn). You should also check out ALL the museums in NYC. Most of them are free anyway.

You must try the street carts here, not hot dogs but the halal carts. There's a very popular spot on 53rd St and 6th Ave in Manhattan, where there is always a long line day or night. They are very tasty (and very unhealthy, but since you're gonna become a New Yorker you must at least try it once) That's all I can come up with at the moment.

You will spend most of your time in the Lower East Side and Greenwich Village since that's where young people hang out... Btw use Yelp! Yelp is also a great place to meet people!

Junside
04-26-2011, 12:22 PM
If you want to enjoy the city life, find a roommate and live in the lower east side, you can probably get a room for like $800-$1000, or you can get a studio for yourself around $1500. Biking has gotten a bit better in Manhattan because there are more bike lanes, although it's still pretty dangerous because of the crazy cabs and aggressive drivers. If you get a bike, get a helmet too.

You can do picnic and stuff at the sheep meadows in Central Park (if you're in Manhattan), or Prospect Park (if you're in Brooklyn). You should also check out ALL the museums in NYC. Most of them are free anyway.

You must try the street carts here, not hot dogs but the halal carts. There's a very popular spot on 53rd St and 6th Ave in Manhattan, where there is always a long line day or night. They are very tasty (and very unhealthy, but since you're gonna become a New Yorker you must at least try it once) That's all I can come up with at the moment.

You will spend most of your time in the Lower East Side and Greenwich Village since that's where young people hang out... Btw use Yelp! Yelp is also a great place to meet people!

OMFG HALAL is the MOST EPIC FOOD EVER! Lamb over rice FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DaiJue
04-26-2011, 12:25 PM
Oh one more thing... if it's late at night and you're bored you can go to Times Square for people-watching. There are plenty of lost European tourists and the stores in this area don't close until 1am~2am in the morning.

*Edit*
And buy a 30-day unlimited Metro Card. It's good for both Subway and Buses. It's $104 but it's worth it if you ride at least 2 times a day.

Physiologic
04-26-2011, 12:32 PM
How old are you, are you a homeowner/do you ever want to be one in the near future, and what is the highest educational degree you have attained?

With the answers to these 3 simple questions I will tell you if it is advisable to live in New York, strictly at a financial standpoint.

Lesrider
04-26-2011, 12:37 PM
LES all the way, baby!

Wicked Caccavari
04-26-2011, 12:38 PM
OMFG HALAL is the MOST EPIC FOOD EVER! Lamb over rice FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Don't forget we gotta chill bro. How old are you by the way?

Oh one more thing... if it's late at night and you're bored you can go to Times Square for people-watching. There are plenty of lost European tourists and the stores in this area don't close until 1am~2am in the morning.

*Edit*
And buy a 30-day unlimited Metro Card. It's good for both Subway and Buses. It's $104 but it's worth it if you ride at least 2 times a day.

I will eventually, I'm going to try and make a little extra money by selling things I have around the house that I'm not taking. Which turns out to be a ton of stuff actually.

What is "Yelp!"?

Wicked Caccavari
04-26-2011, 12:41 PM
How old are you, are you a homeowner/do you ever want to be one in the near future, and what is the highest educational degree you have attained?

With the answers to these 3 simple questions I will tell you if it is advisable to live in New York, strictly at a financial standpoint.

No, I' not a homeowner and I don't want to be one.
I just have my Highschool Diploma, I would like to pursue Culinary eventually.

Junside
04-26-2011, 12:55 PM
I'm 20 and I guess we're pretty much in the same situation. I got a bunk bed but my parents aren't chill like that. :/ What a waste.

Just pm me and I'll provide a cell number if you need anything. Best to have some contacts when going somewhere new.

DaiJue
04-26-2011, 01:01 PM
What is "Yelp!"?

You can Yelp to find good restaurants, nightlife, and local events. A lot of non New Yorkers use it to meet people to hang out and stuff.

Wicked Caccavari
04-26-2011, 01:01 PM
I'm 20 and I guess we're pretty much in the same situation. I got a bunk bed but my parents aren't chill like that. :/ What a waste.

Just pm me and I'll provide a cell number if you need anything. Best to have some contacts when going somewhere new.

No point in having a bunk bed then, haha.
Alright, I will closer to the time of leaving.

Wicked Caccavari
04-26-2011, 01:03 PM
You can Yelp to find good restaurants, nightlife, and local events. A lot of non New Yorkers use it to meet people to hang out and stuff.

Alright, I'll give it a test soon.

Physiologic
04-26-2011, 01:05 PM
No, I' not a homeowner and I don't want to be one.
I just have my Highschool Diploma, I would like to pursue Culinary eventually.

Without strong connections and/or a college degree you may have trouble finding a job in the metropolitan area that pays well enough to have you live comfortably for a a reasonable amount of time (around 1-2 years+). And by living comfortably, I mean having a good quality of life - finding a good, clean, roomy place to live, eating well, not working overtime, having enough cash to pay rent/bills/insurance, having cash to go out, etc. As you know, the economy is very craptastic at the moment so securing an average-paying job ($30/hr+) BEFORE going into the city would be a much better idea. I'm not sure how feasible this is with a HS diploma, though, so you may want to consider pursuing your culinary degree/certification before dropping cash (if you have enough capital from yourself or your family) into living in the city.

romgar1
04-26-2011, 01:05 PM
I pay 600 a month for my 1200 square foot house with 1200 square foot basement and 2 acres bordered by a creek. Someone would have to pay me 700 a month to live in that rat hole. Triple that to live in new York.

Wicked Caccavari
04-26-2011, 01:12 PM
Without strong connections and/or a college degree you may have trouble finding a job in the metropolitan area that pays well enough to have you live comfortably for a a reasonable amount of time (around 1-2 years+). And by living comfortably, I mean having a good quality of life - finding a good, clean, roomy place to live, eating well, not working overtime, having enough cash to pay rent/bills/insurance, having cash to go out, etc. As you know, the economy is very craptastic at the moment so securing an average-paying job ($30/hr+) BEFORE going into the city would be a much better idea. I'm not sure how feasible this is with a HS diploma, though, so you may want to consider pursuing your culinary degree/certification before dropping cash (if you have enough capital from yourself or your family) into living in the city.

My decision may not be the best if I make the move right away but I'm young, I'd like to explore the city.

Benaorn
04-26-2011, 01:49 PM
You should get your degree first. What are you going to do in New York? You going to study and work? You are still young when you're done with your study (22-24). After you done with your study, you can still go to New York and if things don't work out, you still have your degree. Man, I wish an average pay job would be in the $30 range.

DaiJue
04-26-2011, 01:49 PM
My decision may not be the best if I make the move right away but I'm young, I'd like to explore the city.

Do you plan to move to NYC permanently or you just want to enjoy life for a little while? We can help you plan things out.

DaiJue
04-26-2011, 01:52 PM
Man, I wish an average pay job would be in the $30 range.

$30+ an hour ONLY if you work for the big banks here in NYC (finance or IT field). Most jobs' starting salary is around $15-$20 an hour, depending on the industry.

Wicked Caccavari
04-26-2011, 02:02 PM
Do you plan to move to NYC permanently or you just want to enjoy life for a little while? We can help you plan things out.

To be honest, I want to go for about a year to try it out. If it's not to my liking, I'll be going somewhere else.

Pandamoni
04-26-2011, 02:16 PM
When you're young it's easy to kind of just live on top ramen and bologna, crash on couches, etc. I did that when I was young and moved out to Hawaii. It was awesome, BUT (and this is a huge but) I WISH I had finished my schooling when I was younger. It is always harder to go back to school when you're older and if you can just knock it out now it may seem like 2 years is forever but it is really a super short amount of time.

If you want a career that is lucrative and relatively short you might want to look into dental hygiene, x-ray technician, respiratory tech or even registered nursing (you can get an associate's degree in nursing). Health careers are always growing and you can move ANYWHERE with those careers.

If culinary arts is your passion and school isn't an option right now try at least working as a sous chef for a bit before moving so you have a reference and experience before going on a job hunt.

I understand the urge to jump around and travel while you're still young but think of it this way...if you do two years of school right now you'll be able to move to NYC with a career that allows you to make $5,000-$7,000 a month (or more with dental hygiene), which will allow you to get your own place RIGHT when you're old enough to go to the local bars/clubs. It's nice having your own place to go back to when you're out meeting people at the clubs *wink, wink*.

noobmigo
04-26-2011, 02:35 PM
When you're young it's easy to kind of just live on top ramen and bologna, crash on couches, etc. I did that when I was young and moved out to Hawaii. It was awesome, BUT (and this is a huge but) I WISH I had finished my schooling when I was younger. It is always harder to go back to school when you're older and if you can just knock it out now it may seem like 2 years is forever but it is really a super short amount of time.

If you want a career that is lucrative and relatively short you might want to look into dental hygiene, x-ray technician, respiratory tech or even registered nursing (you can get an associate's degree in nursing). Health careers are always growing and you can move ANYWHERE with those careers.

If culinary arts is your passion and school isn't an option right now try at least working as a sous chef for a bit before moving so you have a reference and experience before going on a job hunt.

I understand the urge to jump around and travel while you're still young but think of it this way...if you do two years of school right now you'll be able to move to NYC with a career that allows you to make $5,000-$7,000 a month (or more with dental hygiene), which will allow you to get your own place RIGHT when you're old enough to go to the local bars/clubs. It's nice having your own place to go back to when you're out meeting people at the clubs *wink, wink*.

This guy knows what he's talking about.

Wicked Caccavari
04-26-2011, 02:41 PM

Thanks for the advice, I can see you put some thought into it.

I see the benefits of going to school now and getting my degree. The only thing stopping me is the urge to go to New York NOW. I know the risks of being poor (probably dirt poor and barely making it) but I'm willing to take that risk. It's going to be tough for a while but it'll be a great experience.

Junside
04-26-2011, 02:49 PM
People will warn against taking a risk like this but a part of me says what good is life if you never get to do the stuff you want to?

Maybe he really wants to go to NY. I won't argue against recommending to finish schooling first.

But we always feel better doing what we want to do. Maybe he's willing to accept all his responsibilities if something goes wrong or gets difficult. Maybe it's a search for independence.

Pandamoni
04-26-2011, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the advice, I can see you put some thought into it.

I see the benefits of going to school now and getting my degree. The only thing stopping me is the urge to go to New York NOW. I know the risks of being poor (probably dirt poor and barely making it) but I'm willing to take that risk. It's going to be tough for a while but it'll be a great experience.

lol, I totally understand. Oh, and don't forget to do your fafsa. Go to FAFSA.ed.gov and you can fill out your fafsa and check that you're interested in work study. Depending on how much your family makes, how many live in your household, etc, you might qualify for cash aid to go to school and you might even be able to get a job at the school you go to. How cool would it be to go to school in NY, get paid to go to school AND work at the school you're attending?

I run the career center at a continuation high school so if you have any ???'s feel free to ask :)

Pandamoni
04-26-2011, 02:51 PM
People will warn against taking a risk like this but a part of me says what good is life if you never get to do the stuff you want to?

Maybe he really wants to go to NY. I won't argue against recommending to finish schooling first.

But we always feel better doing what we want to do. Maybe he's willing to accept all his responsibilities if something goes wrong or gets difficult. Maybe it's a search for independence.

I think he should go to school in New York :) That would be cool!

Wicked Caccavari
04-26-2011, 02:58 PM
lol, I totally understand. Oh, and don't forget to do your fafsa. Go to FAFSA.ed.gov and you can fill out your fafsa and check that you're interested in work study. Depending on how much your family makes, how many live in your household, etc, you might qualify for cash aid to go to school and you might even be able to get a job at the school you go to. How cool would it be to go to school in NY, get paid to go to school AND work at the school you're attending?

I run the career center at a continuation high school so if you have any ???'s feel free to ask :)

My friend told me about doing that, I'll fill it out in the next few days.

I don't plan on leaving for about 2 weeks. I have a couple things I gotta take care of before leaving. Waiting for my replacement ID to come in the mail, telling people goodbye, etc.

DaiJue
04-26-2011, 03:01 PM

I agree. Being young has its advantage - if you screw up you can always start over. Keep in mind that you should always have a back-up plan, something to fall back on if things don't work out. Life is short, play hard! :cool:

Wicked Caccavari
04-26-2011, 03:07 PM
I agree. Being young has its advantage - if you screw up you can always start over. Keep in mind that you should always have a back-up plan, something to fall back on if things don't work out. Life is short, play hard! :cool:

Just gonna live life as it plays out for me.

Wicked Caccavari
04-26-2011, 04:05 PM
There's so much to do in New York, I don't know what to do first.

DaiJue
04-26-2011, 04:12 PM
There's so much to do in New York, I don't know what to do first.

Depends when you get here.

http://www.yelp.com/events/manhattan-big-apple-bbq-block-party

Wicked Caccavari
04-26-2011, 04:41 PM
Depends when you get here.

http://www.yelp.com/events/manhattan-big-apple-bbq-block-party

I'll be in New York in 2 weeks or so.

Junside
04-27-2011, 10:19 PM
I've been looking up hella stuff about New York, mainly reading blogs.

I read about this guy who goes out to different subways looking for Metrocards people leave laying around because of the low balance or just losing them. He has found a crazy amount of metrocards, it's pretty awesome.

lol that's crazy. But eh... in these times, I wouldn't blame him.

First, you gotta learn our slang. We don't say "hella". That's west coast. We say "mad" and "son"

Like "Yo son what's good" Some may use the N word derivative ending in "-a"

"That's mad expensive!" (That's very expensive), "That's mad crazy!", "You mad weird"

Haha but this is just the hip hop part of town. Not all of us talk like this, but it rolls off the tongue well.

Wicked Caccavari
04-27-2011, 10:25 PM

I read about this guy who goes out to different subways looking for Metrocards people leave laying around because of the low balance or just losing them. He has found a crazy amount of metrocards, it's pretty awesome.

Junside
04-27-2011, 10:30 PM

Same post as previous?

Wicked Caccavari
04-27-2011, 11:05 PM
Same post as previous?

No clue what happened. That's mad weird. Haha.

Junside
04-27-2011, 11:08 PM
No clue what happened. That's mad weird. Haha.

You're getting it! :D

Wicked Caccavari
04-28-2011, 10:15 AM
One of the things I wanted to do was get a library card. It doesn't seem like I will be able to though for a while until I can prove I live, work or go to school in New York.

Any ways around this?

Pandamoni
04-28-2011, 11:53 AM
We don't say "hella". That's west coast.

Any time I travel, even within California, people know I'm from Northern California because I say Hella. The funny thing is I'm 34 and I've been saying it since I was about 11. Hella (lol) funny that that word hasn't died in all these years!

Wicked Caccavari
04-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Any time I travel, even within California, people know I'm from Northern California because I say Hella. The funny thing is I'm 34 and I've been saying it since I was about 11. Hella (lol) funny that that word hasn't died in all these years!

I don't say it often but I still hear it a lot everywhere I go or every game I play.

DaiJue
04-29-2011, 11:40 AM
One of the things I wanted to do was get a library card. It doesn't seem like I will be able to though for a while until I can prove I live, work or go to school in New York.

Any ways around this?

Unfortunately I don't think there is a way around it.

Wicked Caccavari
04-29-2011, 09:25 PM
Unfortunately I don't think there is no way around it.

That does suck.

Wicked Caccavari
04-30-2011, 09:16 AM
Anyone have an idea of what I could do when I first arrive?

Also, is there a calendar for events happening? (Or website of some sort)

Junside
04-30-2011, 10:09 AM
www.bloomberg.com

www.newyorktimes.com

www.citylimits.org/events

www.nyc-arts.org

Or look in the local paper.

Also, we have bipolar weather here. It was really warm out(like 70 degrees) a few days ago. Today it's 50.

You got a smartphone. It'll be really handy since you'll be new here.

Most bars(usually sports bars) that are open during the day in the city don't really check ID unless you look really young. Worst case, they'll politely refuse you drinks. :p

Check out SOHO.

8th ave (or somewhere around there.) is Gay/Lesbian attraction, meaning you'll see a lot of gay sexual-orient people chilling in the area. I was walking with my girl towards Central Park and we happened to walk down and noticed something different. It's interesting to explore all places, so I'm not saying avoid this area.

Take a trip to the Statue of Liberty.

As long as it's not rush hour, people should be friendly. Tourists are easy to spot. Usually wearing clothes to be most comfortable, a camera around their neck, etc.

Talk to the people serving at hot dog stands. They're actually really cool and they know the area so ask them anything.

Watch some Broadway plays. I think The Phantom of the Opera is still running. Always interesting. There's going to be a Spider-Man Broadway performance opening soon too.

All these may be costly. I'm sure if you look through the internet, you could find free attractions and events. Some people even give out promotional tickets to Mets and Yankees games.

Wicked Caccavari
04-30-2011, 11:40 AM
www.bloomberg.com

www.newyorktimes.com

www.citylimits.org/events

www.nyc-arts.org

Or look in the local paper.

Also, we have bipolar weather here. It was really warm out(like 70 degrees) a few days ago. Today it's 50.

You got a smartphone. It'll be really handy since you'll be new here.

Most bars(usually sports bars) that are open during the day in the city don't really check ID unless you look really young. Worst case, they'll politely refuse you drinks. :p

Check out SOHO.

8th ave (or somewhere around there.) is Gay/Lesbian attraction, meaning you'll see a lot of gay sexual-orient people chilling in the area. I was walking with my girl towards Central Park and we happened to walk down and noticed something different. It's interesting to explore all places, so I'm not saying avoid this area.

Take a trip to the Statue of Liberty.

As long as it's not rush hour, people should be friendly. Tourists are easy to spot. Usually wearing clothes to be most comfortable, a camera around their neck, etc.

Talk to the people serving at hot dog stands. They're actually really cool and they know the area so ask them anything.

Watch some Broadway plays. I think The Phantom of the Opera is still running. Always interesting. There's going to be a Spider-Man Broadway performance opening soon too.

All these may be costly. I'm sure if you look through the internet, you could find free attractions and events. Some people even give out promotional tickets to Mets and Yankees games.

I don't have a computer right now. I haven't found myself in need of one. I will invest in a laptop/netbook or maybe a tablet soon. I really would like a Nook Color now with Android OS enabled. I do everything from my smartphone. (Rooted Droid 1)

I wanna go to some sport bars and get some drinks, that'd be awesome. Here, IDs are always checked.

The really confusing thing right away is going to be the diffrent areas of Manhattan. There's so many of them it seems, West Upper side, East Upper side, Greenwich Village, SOHO, I can't name anymore. I can imagine when getting to or finding new places Yelp! and the Navagation on my phone will be useful.

What exactly is SOHO anyways?

I'm going to visit just about every place I possibly can. Do you need a bike permit in Manhattan? I saw something on a website about it, I was a bit confused though as to whether it was for an event or used daily. I'm thinking of getting a cheap bike when I get there, I've actually seen a few free ones on Craigslist. On another note, people seem to lose a ton of things in New York (pets, jewerly, electronics). I saw some crazy stuff when I clicked on Lost & Found section by accident.

I plan on investing in a camera eventually, it seems like lots of funny, cool, weird, gross things happen in New York. I'd like to capture mostly everything I can.

I've read there's 171 Starbucks in Manhattan. That's insane. The article wasn't the most up-to-date so I bet there's more now.

How much are trips to the Statue of Liberty?

Wicked Caccavari
04-30-2011, 08:32 PM
Change of plans.

I was going to wait another 2 weeks to leave but I plan on leaving this Monday (05/02/11). As long as everythiing goes as planned, I'd be on a time crunch possibly. If I am on a time crunch, I'll make a judgement call and if I am then I'll leave Tuesday.

DaiJue
05-13-2011, 11:12 AM
So, are you here yet?

Wicked Caccavari
05-13-2011, 03:11 PM
So, are you here yet?

Heh, it's a long story.