PDA

View Full Version : Powerleveler's Guide

Duke
04-26-2011, 01:40 PM
Disclaimer #1: On the whole, I'm not a big fan of power-leveling. I strongly recommend against power-leveling your first PL character, as you will miss out on the experience of enjoying PL and in learning how to play your character effectively. On the other hand, players with one or more high-level characters already may wish to start a new character for a different build concept, or make a PvP character or farming character -- leveling that character up quickly will save them a lot of aggravation.

Disclaimer #2: This is by no means a finished guide. If you have suggestions, objections, or anything else constructive to add, please do so. This is not a place to debate the nature and ethics of power-leveling, this is a guide on how to accumulate the most XP in the least amount of time. I would appreciate it if posts were to be kept on-topic.

As of the current revision, the suggestions are mine alone (and in fact, I don't have a suggestion for certain campaigns yet). I'm willing to hear differing opinions (or even agreements!), especially if you can back them up.

================================================== =====

Background: Every campaign has an intended level range. As of version 1.7.1, players cannot enter a campaign unless their character's level is at least 2 less than the bottom of the range.

Coincidentally (actually, I think not), 2 levels less than the suggested minimum of a campaign is also 2 levels less than the suggested maximum for the previous campaign. That's the point where XP gain slows down. It doesn't matter if you're 3 levels or 30 levels below the campaign's cap, the accelerated XP gain is the same. It's only once you get within 2 levels of the campaign maximum that the rate slows down to "normal" at a character level equal to the campaign maximum, continuing downward until you gain no XP at campaign maximum + 3 levels.

So, the optimal time to move to the next campaign is the moment you're allowed to do so.

Methodology: The idea is to define the map(s) within each campaign that will provide the most XP in the least amount of time. In general, this means maps with high mob population, high mob density, and low "boss" population and density (unless those bosses can be easily skipped). Also, certain "bag o' HP" mobs like trolls and djinns are preferably avoided.

This guide is focused on the main campaign line. Side campaigns will be considered as alternate options, but they will be noted as such.

================================================== =====

Forest Haven (Levels 1-7) - Meathead's Deli. While it's notable as a farming location because of the three bosses, the fact is that they're all in dead-ends. You can clean out the corridor which has a decent collection and density of trash mobs without drawing any boss attention, and fairly quickly, too.

The main series of maps are, in general, too sparsely populated and spread out. The Skeleton Cult Crypts have trolls to slow you down.

Dark Forest (Levels 8-12) - TBD

Balefort Castle (Levels 13-17) - TBD

Fathom Crypt (Levels 18-22) - Mega Maze Mashup. Technically, there's only one boss that you have to face; the other three are in dead-end rooms. Lots of mobs packed close together. The maze itself should pose no problems for experienced players.

Lost Expedition (Levels 23-27) - TBD

Ancient Swamps (Level 28-32) - TBD

Alien Oasis 1 (Levels 33-37) - TBD

Alien Oasis 2 (Levels 38-42) - Plasma Pyramid. The Lesser Djinn may cause some speed bumps, but otherwise you can skip all of the bosses, and there are lots of mobs.

Alien Oasis 3 (Levels 43-47) - Crush the Keeper. This has been the definitive power-level map, with a very high number of mobs and only a single miniboss (Lorekeeper) that can just be run past.

It may make sense to keep running CtK through level 49 to enhance survivability in the Sewers.

Balefort Sewers (Levels 48+) - TBD

Duke
04-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Snakespeare has suggested Balefort Castle #3 as a good map -- lots of mobs, only one boss (at the end) that can be skipped.

azulflame
04-26-2011, 01:57 PM
Reserved for comment

Reccommendarion for dark forest: king's forest. 3-4 bosses, but all can be easily skipped, they are all effectively in rooms.

Balefort castle: quick love/wylewood. Lots of mobs and all bosses are in side rooms.

Fathom crypt: secret passage. Need a friend to get in b4 25, but mobs respawn and all bosses are in room at end, skippable.

Ao1: sand storm? Never really played ao1

Others covered, not played, or unavailable to me.

Coltona
04-26-2011, 04:23 PM
Well this is now pointless with the new update.

azulflame
04-26-2011, 04:51 PM
Not entirely. U can stay in red until halfway through a campaign, and you only have to do 1 level in yellow to unlock the next campaign (sewers excluded).

Wolfling
04-26-2011, 05:02 PM
while i am vehemently against noob power leveling i find this guide to be hilarious because of how it was posted AFTER devs made it incredibly hard to power level;)

davidis57
04-26-2011, 05:22 PM
powerlvling is dumb whether first char or 5th. Low levels still think they need 50+ players to lvl fast. I have been asked to do low level dungeons with them I flatly refuse and tell them to join groups their lvl.