PDA

View Full Version : Crushing Blow Combo and Skill Placement

Caninusi
04-26-2011, 08:06 PM
I'm able to do "crushed" about every 10-20 kills. What I haven't be able to do is find out what causes it to happen. Everyone who's posted that the combo is crushing blow+stomp doesn't seem to be right because I haven't been able to perform it once with that combination. It seems that whenever someone is stunned and crushing is hit, it works. Other times it doesn't though and once in awhile it works with just crushing alone.
I can't seem to find the right skills that make up crushing.

Also I can't decide on the rank of each skill and the order they should be used in. I've seperated them into four categories: buffs, debuffs, attacks, combo and useless skills.

Buffs: taunt, rage, evade, and iron blood
debuffs: crushing and hell scream
attacks: vengeful, crippling, super mega slash
combo: beckon and stomp
useless: restore

I'd like to know which skills are the best to max and which ones are a waste of skill points to increase. Also, the order of attack is tough because the stomp is part of the combo, which isn't good for grouping and I can't think of a good place to fit in debuffs and slashes. In my opinion, I do like crippling slash because it is the only skill that will root someone even though it has less damage and a shorter than the other to.

Right now I'm a str/dex bear and Id like to know if a pure str bear or a 173 str 111 dex bear would be better at 56 (applies for both pve and pvp). As a pure str I would have the most dodge, health, h/s, and armor. On the downside, I'd have horrible hit, damage, and dps. With dex I'd be able to have that, but I wouldn't have as much health and armor.

Thx for your feed back.

Ellyidol
04-26-2011, 08:17 PM
"Crushed" is definitely confusing. I've always thought it was Crushing Blow + Stomp, until the Mega combos were released and it was proven other wise. I look at doing "Crushed" as more of a bonus really, not a combo I always try to do.

As for the skills, what kind of bear are you aiming for? Mr.Wallace (a very good dex bear) and myself (dual spec str/dex bear) showed our skill ranks and skill maps here : http://www.spacetimestudios.com/showthread.php?23211-Meet-Mrwallace

Experience will give you the best skill map that will suit you. IMO, Stomp actually helps with the mob control, granting you know how to use it, Beckon + Stomp into a corner is very effective and helpful for the group.

Another main thing I spot on your skills is no Hell Scream as a debuff. IMO, HS is as good as Crushing Blow when it comes to debuffing. It reduces damage, hit, and has a small mini stun.

Caninusi
04-26-2011, 09:05 PM
Thanks for the quick response.
I knew I was forgetting about one of the debuffs.
Ive been playing for 10 months and also did have 5 prior 50s but I deleted them so I'm pretty experienced.
Most of all, thanks for the link.

Caninusi
04-26-2011, 10:07 PM
After reading over the link, I'm surprised to see taunt at 1. Don't most player have taunt at 6? Even though taunt isn't the best buff, should it be a 1? (does allow points to be placed on other skills)
Also is super mega slash the best slash due to it's damage and stun? Would it be better to balance out the slashes or do what mrwallace did?
I've decided on the 173 str rest dex build because I'm not a fan of dual spec or dex bears.

Feel free to share your opinion on this build.

Ellyidol
04-26-2011, 10:33 PM
A level 1 Taunt is all you need if you only plan to PvE. A level 6 Taunt is only useful if you want to PvP or somehow be as much of a tank in PvE.

I personally like SMS (Super Mega Slash) and Vengeful as my only two slashes. Crippling is the least useful IMO. SMS has an undocumented pushback and has a stun, not to mention the highest damage and lowest cool down. Vengeful also has a pushback and a relatively short cooldown. Although crippling roots, I don't find it needed since a bear's skills pretty much stun locks anyway. Furthermore it has a much higher cool down vs the other two.

173 is perfectly understandable. Though going the dual build doesn't only mean you have to use a bow bear. It also means it allows you to have the lowest minimum strength needed to equip your gear, and the rest into dex for better Hit.

KaotiicxDream
04-27-2011, 12:01 AM
No points in Hell Scream ?! This is an awesome debuff..

Caninusi
04-27-2011, 12:24 AM
Actually, 6 points are being put on hell scream. It is a great debuff as well as crushing blow.
Mainly, it wasn't a point of concern here and I did forget to include it earlier lol.

krullnan
04-27-2011, 12:27 AM
i think stomp and beckon are most important
never add a think to restore imo lol

Ellyidol
04-27-2011, 12:33 AM
Restore can be useful too, IMO.

In PvP only though, I don't see the use of Restore in PvE when one health pot can heal more.

5 more HS for 5 seconds is it? That's 25 more HP that might save you from a death. Again, just IMO. :)

Caninusi
04-27-2011, 12:34 AM
Beckon and stomp are important because it's a strong combo and can be used for mob control. We got pots and regen instead of restore lol.

I'm still wondering about order in which I use my skills. Should I try debuffing first, followed by a combo to push the mob in the corner, and finish off the remaining with slashes?

Caninusi
04-27-2011, 12:38 AM
Restore can be useful too, IMO.

In PvP only though, I don't see the use of Restore in PvE when one health pot can heal more.

5 more HS for 5 seconds is it? That's 25 more HP that might save you from a death. Again, just IMO. :)

Even in pvp, I don't see the usefulness of restore because as you said 25 more HP really is going to save you from your opponents next attack.
I guess the best way is to depend on a strong Mage to heal you every now and then. XD

Ellyidol
04-27-2011, 12:42 AM
Even in pvp, I don't see the usefulness of restore because as you said 25 more HP really is going to save you from your opponents next attack.
I guess the best way is to depend on a strong Mage to heal you every now and then. XD

Just personal preference. Restore serves me well in pvp IMO. :)

As for the playing style, have you checked out my video? It's in my Balefort Sewers Bear Play Guide in my sig. It seems to work pretty well, even after GCD.

braluk
04-27-2011, 01:05 AM
Beckon and stomp are important because it's a strong combo and can be used for mob control. We got pots and regen instead of restore lol.

I'm still wondering about order in which I use my skills. Should I try debuffing first, followed by a combo to push the mob in the corner, and finish off the remaining with slashes?

My specific order had changed since GCD came along but the general idea is self-buffs first, then debuffs, then attacks. Which one you choose depends on the situation since GCD no longer allows us to use all our skills in rapid succession- iron blood/evade if you're running into a powerful mob of enemies and bosses as the solo tank (in which case you'll hopefully have the proper gear loadout for it), Rage for attack if your team is going to rely more on you attack (no birds, you're the highest level). If you know the map well and know where the mobs are by heart, you can use all 3 way before you approach the mob you already know is there. This is followed by your debuffs. How you use them will depend on your personal preferences and the rest of the team. I generally will taunt the mob a few steps before I approach the first enemy of the mob. As I approach, I'll use either crushing blow or hell scream time permitting (due to delay of GCD). Walk towards wall and beckon. I generally like crushing blow before beckon because it decreases enemy dodge, and I feel that I pull better and pull more. Move away from group (this is all done fluidly) and then stomp for a combo. If the mob is doing a number on my team (or if mages or archers aren't following suit by using their aoe spells) I'll use Hell Scream to decrease damage they do to my team. Otherwise after stomp, move in and unleash your slashes.

Caninusi
04-27-2011, 01:10 AM
Nice guide!

I just need to remember to rebuff before each mob lol.
As a recap:
buff before creating mob
taunt and use hell scream after mob is formed
then use beckon to pull mob to corner followed by steping away from corner and stomping mob into place.
Birds and mages will kill off the mob while spamming crushing and slashes.

Please correct me if I'm wrong

Caninusi
04-27-2011, 01:18 AM
Thanks for the detailed description braluk!

Before gcd, I would beckon, debuff, slash, and stomp out in rapid succession.
Now with gcd, I've haven't been able to think of a good order in which to skill attack until now.

Thanks for the tips and info draluk and ellyidol.

braluk
04-27-2011, 02:38 AM
No problem! Glad to see another bear jump on board in learning how to effectively use skills and make a run go fast. I've seen too many bears that love to pull and stomp in the middle of a room scattering enemies, thereby diluting out your team. Keep in mind that it's my personal preference. I'm not a pure dual stat bear like Elly is, so her order of skills may be vastly different than mine. The best way to practice your technique without jeopardizing your team or slowing their run down is to go to a lower lvl map with a lot of enemies in hallways (the grate by one of the pathways in Forest Haven leading to mini dungeon with unlimited enemies is a good place to practice).

Ellyidol
04-27-2011, 03:44 AM
Thanks for the detailed description braluk!

Before gcd, I would beckon, debuff, slash, and stomp out in rapid succession.
Now with gcd, I've haven't been able to think of a good order in which to skill attack until now.

Thanks for the tips and info draluk and ellyidol.

Mine has changed a bit since GCD too.

I personally spam Taunt, especially when I want them chasing me. Beckon, Hell Scream, Stomp in. Then individual slashes from there or move on to the next mob area.

And just to be clear, I'M A HE. :)

Mr.Wallace
04-27-2011, 03:50 AM
After reading over the link, I'm surprised to see taunt at 1. Don't most player have taunt at 6? Even though taunt isn't the best buff, should it be a 1? (does allow points to be placed on other skills)
Also is super mega slash the best slash due to it's damage and stun? Would it be better to balance out the slashes or do what mrwallace did?
I've decided on the 173 str rest dex build because I'm not a fan of dual spec or dex bears.

Feel free to share your opinion on this build.

I think SMS is by far the best slash because of the stun. The next time i respec, i might keep Crippling at 1 and put the extra points into Vengeful.
The low level slashes, missing restore and the level 1 taunt brought me a lot of "how can you play like that?"s from other bears. I'm gonna try to take a video too, cause once you saw me play my spec kinda makes sense. :-)

braluk
04-27-2011, 06:00 AM
Mine has changed a bit since GCD too.

I personally spam Taunt, especially when I want them chasing me. Beckon, Hell Scream, Stomp in. Then individual slashes from there or move on to the next mob area.

And just to be clear, I'M A HE. :)

Haha my bad. I have a cousin named Elly, and shes adorable hence the mixup :)

Ellyidol
04-27-2011, 06:16 AM
Haha my bad. I have a cousin named Elly, and shes adorable hence the mixup :)

No problem, name is actually from a she :p

Riccits
04-27-2011, 06:44 AM
Just personal preference. Restore serves me well in pvp IMO. :)

As for the playing style, have you checked out my video? It's in my Balefort Sewers Bear Play Guide in my sig. It seems to work pretty well, even after GCD.

i use restore too in pvp, level 15 equipt does have almost none hs, so i can a bit heal me when no mage around.

kiitz
04-27-2011, 03:29 PM
I'm able to do "crushed" about every 10-20 kills. What I haven't be able to do is find out what causes it to happen. Everyone who's posted that the combo is crushing blow+stomp doesn't seem to be right because I haven't been able to perform it once with that combination. It seems that whenever someone is stunned and crushing is hit, it works. Other times it doesn't though and once in awhile it works with just crushing alone.
I can't seem to find the right skills that make up crushing.

Crushing Blow is Break Armor (bird) + Crushing Blow (bear).
The PWNED combo requires all 3 classes, so its Break Armor (bird), Crushing Blow (bear), drain life (mage)

If you are running with 2+ birds, its really easy to get crushing blow combo when just hitting crushing blow randomly (i'm talking on bosses). The reason is because birds tend to spam break armor and it is on a relatively short cooldown. The window for you to hit crushing blow is pretty wide as well, so basically a large percentage of the time a bird has hit break armor in the last few seconds and when you hit crushing blow every 4 seconds, more often than not, they just happen to line up.

Rusalio
04-27-2011, 03:45 PM
Yo Caninusi, As you said ya would bro! Very nice thread ya got going??? Definitely sure that other will benefit from this! Glad to see some oldies jumped in.....Hahahah even if elly is a HE..... Hahahha funny dude

Caninusi
04-27-2011, 05:57 PM
Hey kiitz, thanks for tell me how the combo is performed. :)

It makes sense because my Isis spear has it's own break armor debuff, so that's why I was able to do crushed.

Also, doing he'll scream in between beckon and stomp is a great way to debuff enemies before the combo.
Thanks for that tip ellyidol. :)

Caninusi
04-27-2011, 05:59 PM
What's up Rus!

I'm really glad that other bears will benefit from this thread.
I think it's a great way to learn how to be a proper tank fast. ;)

Caninusi
04-27-2011, 07:37 PM
After running in balefort castle and mega maze mash up, I've been able to get myself comfortable with buff, taunt, beckon at corners, scream while stepping back, stomp, crushing, and slashes.
If there still are 3-5 enemies left after I clear with slashes, and I repeat the combo.

My new area of concern is for a better step back. Whenever I draw 6-8 enemies with taunt, I usually have a tough time stepping back to the other side of the mob. When the mob is 3-5 I have no problem. Is there a better way to have a quick and clean step back after I pull?
Also, I do have some occasional trouble reaching the corrner because of the surrounding mob. Is there a better way to reach the corner quick so I can pull the mob to it without difficulty?

Thanks for all the help so far. :)