PDA

View Full Version : Ability to designate any item as a vanity (with sample pic)

braluk
04-27-2011, 05:48 AM
Given the new vanity slots that were most recently implemented for shield and helm, I wondered how it could perhaps be improved. As it stands only a few things are vanity items, and even fewer that could be purchased in game with gold.

I thought it would be a worthwhile venture to expand on the dev's currently limited vanity function by allowing players to switch regular items they own into vanity slots (or consolidate the equipment screen so that each particular equipment section will have two slots- one at the top for equipped gear (currently designated with *) and one right underneath for vanity gear (could be designated with a small bolded v).

Two buttons at the bottom- one for equip, the other for vanity equip. The stats for any vanity equip are essentially muted, and you can only vanity equip items that you can use as regular equips too; which I think also gives another incentive for new players to level up by playing the maps so they have more items available to them to equip as vanity as they get higher in level. I think this should apply for equipment you wear shield, armor, and helm. As for weapons, I'll get to that later.

I think it would benefit PL in many different ways. It would certainly bring value up to cool looking items that previously thrown away (for example Rageborn gear looks awesome with a Vyx Hate Helm but is mostly useless). Secondly, it would declutter the equipment menu, but more importantly, make it more user friendly. Here is a sample image I made of what I would imagine the interface would entail. Simplified inventory without all those icons. everything on their respective category. Added a vanity equip button

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/_BcMwT3ueRMw/Tbf0QuP7QuI/AAAAAAAAAUU/CInJ1lS29DU/s800/vanity.jpg

The only issue is whether or not it will decrease platinum sales on current vanity items- which I don't think it would because plat vanity items look unique and differ from any in-game item, which brings me to weapons being able to equipped as vanity. I would propose that weapon vanities can only be purchased in the platinum store- it would be an incentive for devs to make cooler looking weapons for us to buy. The current weapons in the store look awesome (especially the flame weapons)- however I never purchased because as a weapon, it lacks severely and outside of maybe equipping them for low level maps or in towne, it has no utility in most maps I play, and therefore, I see no reason to spend platinum to buy an unusable weapon that looks cool. I know I would certainly spend more platinum if those weapons could be made into vanity weapons (of course 1H needs to match 1H, and so forth). I would use them because it looks pretty cool, all without sacrificing my ability to use good weapons. Additionally, I know I would also pay if they made this particular vanity option a game feature you had to buy to use (or pay per use like a respec).

Arterra
04-27-2011, 05:55 AM
maybe while the devs keep the vanity store, you have to buy the self vanity option for each item trype if you want to use it. if hats are 5 plat, then each item type (hats, weapons, armor, shields) to be customizable could be 20 plat.

expensive in the long run, but you would be able to do anything.

problems:
-pvp: what is he WEARING??
-odd looks like birds using swords in a bow position

braluk
04-27-2011, 06:07 AM
Haha, yea it would definitely be an interesting change to pvp and even pve if someone thought you were improperly geared up for the map and subsequently get booted. But I think it would give it an interesting taste. Now that I have a Vyx Helm, I would have loved to wear it, but I have no place for it in my loadouts and it's kind of just sitting around. Or heck, running around equipped with vanity level 5-10 gear as a 56 (or using some ridiculous combination of useless items), and then taking trashtalking pvp's out to town with your true gear underneath would be pretty cool in my book.

Lesrider
04-27-2011, 06:08 AM
I like this idea mainly because high lvl items are, quite frankly, boring.
These new Sandstone Cave items look to actually be new unique designs (from what I could tell in the screenshots). So would be nice for higher levels to get in on the fun.

Arterra
04-27-2011, 06:09 AM
the new area coming out for lv20-25, sandstone caves, has some of the SICKEST (good way) looking gear in the game IMO. using that anytime for looks would be awesome...

Lesrider
04-27-2011, 06:11 AM
Maybe it could be turned off for pvp? Basically you enter pvp and your vanities are disabled?
I dunno... Not sure if it makes a diff, since I don't pvp.

Arterra
04-27-2011, 06:15 AM
Maybe it could be turned off for pvp? Basically you enter pvp and your vanities are disabled?
I dunno... Not sure if it makes a diff, since I don't pvp.

it was hilarious trying to guess who was what in pvp during halloween...
while it is not a full body costume, being able to tell what people are wearing could help.
although to be honest, gear is not really specialized enough to make a difference as long as you know the class and build of an opponent...

Lesrider
04-27-2011, 06:17 AM
it was hilarious trying to guess who was what in pvp during halloween...
while it is not a full body costume, being able to tell what people are wearing could help.
although to be honest, gear is not really specialized enough to make a difference as long as you know the class and build of an opponent...

Well it would make sense that you should only be able to equip gear that you would normally be able to wear -- so you don't have people pretending to be one build when they're another.

Basically, keep the same requirements, but you don't get the stats from the vanities.

braluk
04-28-2011, 04:35 AM
Well it would make sense that you should only be able to equip gear that you would normally be able to wear -- so you don't have people pretending to be one build when they're another.

Basically, keep the same requirements, but you don't get the stats from the vanities.

Yup I agree with this. I think it'd be a great for the PL economy in game and for the devs (in terms of people spending platinum for it). Since we can't dump our gold into pots anymore, it would be a nice change of pace to not only be running the same maps back and forth praying that we get a good useful drop.

Fawayleik
04-28-2011, 07:38 AM
Color pods to change it on ur stuff would be nice too.
It would be ok for me to spent 5 plats for change, like the faces. Maybe other model? :)
Yea other model and colors, like the faces.

And the vynx helm of hate change to an special vanity drop item, like the rabbit ears.