PDA

View Full Version : Greedier and greedier ruining the game?

Coltona
04-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Ok, with all the new updates the in the last month the game has really come a long way in no time at all, but it's starting to take on a new direction I really don't like the future looks of. It seems the devs are finding more ways to cause everything to cost some form of plat which costs us our money to get the new content and releases. I just saw the whole new Sandstone Caves that's going to come out next month and, reading the info from the devs about it, became extremely outraged at the fact that when it's released it will cost 10 plat to every player that buys. It just for one area?! These are the hints of ways I think the game will continue to become more and more expensive all for the greed of making more money anyway possible. So far we have this:

1. Vanity items seem to have increased their plat cost just enough to almost not be noticed, yet definitely make an impact on your plat with each thing you buy.

2. 3 Plat for potions....ARE YOU ******* SERIOUS?! This completely destroys the point of even having potions unless you're so rich and addicted to the game you're not smart enough to realize how much you spend that could be put to use somewhere else.

3. The new map cost. That price is crazy to even put out for a joke. I bought all three Alien Oasis maps for 15 plat and that's 3X the content! Seriously get real here. If I don't want to buy this will my char be stuck at 20 since this map is for levels 20-25? If so i'm out of the game i'll give away all my junk and delete my account and just flame myself in the mirror for spending so much money up until now.

4. Offerwall for free plat gone. Ok I read the post on Apple having a problem with it, and the devs working with them to solve it so hope that's back soon since I don't have $100 itunes cards to put out every update.

5. Prices in general. Plat to rename your character kinda pointless but the 2 or 3 plat it costs now is much better than the 50 it used to cost.

6. 5 plat per character slot. Why not make one free and when you verify your account you get one or two more free so you can have one of each class?

7. The mystery weapon quests. Haven't checked on them in awhile but really? 5 plat for a recipe that you still have to craft after you find the ingredients? Stupid.

8. Rev for 1 plat. That's gotta be the saddest part yet. Why not make it cost like 10k depending on your level??

With all the money i've spent on this game I realized. I really don't have anything to make stuff more comfortable for the player. Like on the go access of your stash, or making reward items be in your inventory only and accessible from any char on you account. Or even add exta stats on the Gratitude Shield and founders helm, but keep them vanities.

Anyone else have examples of crazy prices for nothing, or even stuff that really makes you mad about the game? Post below.

Arterra
04-27-2011, 10:21 AM
-didn't ao3 cost us 20 Plat? I am so glad this is 10 Plat instead lol. Seems reasonable, since it is additional content that is not necessary to leveling but that gives new monsters to kill and items to collect. I would pay 10 Plat for that quartz looking gear...
1) if you mean holiday stuff then maybe the cost of 15 Plat is a little annoying. However, remember those Viking helm costs?? 20 Plat for a royal purple one!! Makin the vanity helms AND FACES lower prices, and more consistent, is what I see.
2) they are already looking at making the lower quality potions gold again, and introducing multiple map potions too or so I hear. Those will prob be Plat, while per map will be gold.
3) aka balefort castle and fathom crypt. Genius.
4) Tapjoy back! And don't go ranting to devs over it, apple threatens to REMOVE apps hat have tapjoy on last I heard.
5) Did you say that naming is no longer 50 Plat...? If so, I am going to scream in joy. Hate misspelled characters already at lv40.
6) It's called hooking you in. I only have 2 main characters to begin with, and it's really only 5 Plat. A respec used to be 5 Plat.
7)Optional gear mate. Get yer cyber on
8) you don't have to actually buy the rev... I never have.

And there is a reason they are called vanity. Only for looks. What upsets me is the founders helm, not the shields...

Riccits
04-27-2011, 10:24 AM
1. just dont buy it
2. pots for money will come back
3. imo ok, they need to develop it so its ok to pay 1€ for it. just hope the map is good and fun!
4. its back right now with last update
5. ya i dunno why 50...
6. i had 4 free already...?
7. yep its not ok
8. just dont use it

Moogerfooger
04-27-2011, 10:27 AM
One of these days people will realize that running a growing business and coding all of these suggestions/feedback/improvement/expansions costs STS money. And so does bandwith as the PL/eventual B* community grows. The game is still ridiculous cheap compared to others out there, and better than 99% of them to boot. I agree with some of your points like the elixir costs, the mystery gear, the rev-for-plat, but in general the game is cheap to play.

Outside of the campaign costs, none of the things you mention are MANDATORY to have, they are just nice to have if you have the plat. And although 10 plat may seem like a lot (although I was surprised to see it as asommers mentioned future campaigns/spine areas might be free), it is still like a $1.20. I'll take a new area I can goof off in for a few hours for the price of a cheeseburger any day.

If you truly want to see greedy, go play a Storm8 game or Haypi Kingdom for a while, and then you will thank STS for not being greedy.

FluffNStuff
04-27-2011, 10:28 AM
New map is optional, so you can still level from 20-25 in fathom crypt, which they gave you for free. And rename is now only 3 plat???

Riccits
04-27-2011, 10:30 AM
New map is optional, so you can still level from 20-25 in fathom crypt, which they gave you for free. And rename is now only 3 plat???

emmm... on my screen still 50plat

innovateer
04-27-2011, 11:05 AM
I think STS have done a good job so far of balancing the need to generate income with creating a compelling and fun game. Think about what you get totally for free: a game that you can play endlessly with 10 different campaign areas with probably 50 or more dungeons. You can go from level 1 to 56 without paying anything and still end up with the best gear in the game.

The economics of this kind of game are really interesting (to me anyway :). The costs for creating an online game are totally different to those for creating a more traditional console game because there's an ongoing operating cost that they need to cover. That means they need to have ways to generate a continuous stream of payments rather than a single one-off payment for the whole game. However they know that people won't pay a lot on a game so they can only charge tiny amounts. But for small payments to work you need a huge number of them, therefore you need to make as much of the game available for free to stimulate usage. But that increases your costs because you have to support hundreds of free players for every one that pays for platinum. A great dynamic for a company to tackle :)

Pandamoni
04-27-2011, 11:16 AM
I would be pissed if people expected me to work for free.

FluffNStuff
04-27-2011, 11:24 AM
Anyone else have examples of crazy prices for nothing, or even stuff that really makes you mad about the game? Post below.

I was trying to buy a turnip in game, but I could not find where, so I ended up respeccing my bear. So tldr: Paid 24 cents and never got a turnip.

Moogerfooger
04-27-2011, 11:32 AM
I was trying to buy a turnip in game, but I could not find where, so I ended up respeccing my bear. So tldr: Paid 24 cents and never got a turnip.

I'm sure your turnip will turnip in your stash sooner or later.

Snakespeare
04-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Had this thread been about the worsening problem of player greed like outrageous prices in CS, scamming, hoarding, backstabbing each other over monopoly money, and refusing to pay the devs for the work they do, I would have agreed with you.

romgar1
04-27-2011, 12:14 PM
They could just charge us all 5 to 15 bucks a month to play like all the other mmo's. Be thankful. Elixirs are a luxury but I do miss them in a pinch. However, not using them has helped my pve skills. Its always a good practice to hold a proverbial mirror to ones own self before you accuse. This is the Devs job. They work hard and long hours to keep this game running. I've seen them on at 12am their time on Saturday night. I would say they earned the money we give them. Even if we aren't always happy with the results.

Sky../
04-27-2011, 12:28 PM
Sts employees needs to be paid. Electricity needs to be paid. Bandwidth needs to be paid. Office rent. Office supplies. Equipment.

Benaorn
04-27-2011, 12:38 PM
1. It's a vanity item so you don't really need it.
2. Don't really like it, but they are working on it.
3. You're lucky you get 3 maps for 15 plats, we paid 20 plats for AO3.
4. It's not STS problem.
5. If the price is low, jerks would change their name daily.
6. You get 1 free slot. They have to make money somehow.
7. Didn't even do this quest because there are other option. I am not a collector.
8. I don't like it but you don't have to use it. It's optional. Some people may use it.

I don't really know how long it takes for them to develop new map. If a map cost $1.2 and about 6000 users purchase the map, that is only $7200 and that isn't much. If they have a million users, that would be $1.2 millions. They could lower the price to 50 cents and still make good profit, but they don't. When the game is new, lot of people buy plats to buy maps. Now that most people have all the maps, they'll need to find a way to generate income. You also have to consider that they work for 6 months without income to create PL. If PL failed, they wasted 6 months.

KaotiicxDream
04-27-2011, 12:42 PM
1) All Vanity items (not holiday items) cost 5 plat...
2) Don't buy if it is too much for you ...
3) stop complaining... Referring to 2)
4) A map for $1.2 ? I don't think so .. They make good profit anyway..

FluffNStuff
04-27-2011, 01:58 PM
I'm sure your turnip will turnip in your stash sooner or later.

Oooohhh, good call, did not think of that. Maybe I should respec and add some intelligence! Assuming that helps me find it, this turnip is going to endup costing me 48 cents. It better be good or I am soooooo complaining.

Rare
04-27-2011, 02:30 PM
2 or 3 plat for renaming??? Mine still shows 50? What' gives?

In fact, I just paid 50 plat about an hour before the update.

Moogerfooger
04-27-2011, 03:17 PM
Oooohhh, good call, did not think of that. Maybe I should respec and add some intelligence! Assuming that helps me find it, this turnip is going to endup costing me 48 cents. It better be good or I am soooooo complaining.

Well, it depends when you started playing Pocket Turnips. If it was May/June of '10, then you get a Founder's Turnip with +5 armor...if not, you will have to wait for your Veteran's Turnip. In the meantime, please enjoy your Turnip of Gratitude :D

Coltona
04-27-2011, 04:31 PM
I don't really know how long it takes for them to develop new map. If a map cost $1.2 and about 6000 users purchase the map, that is only $7200 and that isn't much. If they have a million users, that would be $1.2 millions. They could lower the price to 50 cents and still make good profit, but they don't. When the game is new, lot of people buy plats to buy maps. Now that most people have all the maps, they'll need to find a way to generate income. You also have to consider that they work for 6 months without income to create PL. If PL failed, they wasted 6 months.

Honestly this one really opened my eyes to the devs point of view, along with others (that had nothing to do with turnips). I guess it isn't the devs becoming greedy, and is rather the fact that you have to do what you have to do to pay employees, bills, and keep your own head above the water.

Thanks for the arguments everyone who posted! Next thread: Stupid CS prices, and my sewer items give away campaign in traders market.

anezeudacen
05-04-2011, 02:08 PM
The only thing to me this whole argument isnt really valid considering, how many people have you seen using elixirs besides a chosen few? So they arent making much money on that aspect anyways.

StompArtist
05-04-2011, 02:16 PM
I would be pissed if people expected me to work for free.

Don't you have kids? :D

Snakespeare
05-04-2011, 02:31 PM
Don't you have kids? :D

LOL! good point!

Ladylove
05-04-2011, 08:41 PM

LOL you win a place in my sig.

Samhayne
05-04-2011, 09:26 PM
Old thread is old

Origional poster already changed his mind.

Honestly this one really opened my eyes to the devs point of view, along with others (that had nothing to do with turnips). I guess it isn't the devs becoming greedy, and is rather the fact that you have to do what you have to do to pay employees, bills, and keep your own head above the water.

Thanks for the arguments everyone who posted! Next thread: Stupid CS prices, and my sewer items give away campaign in traders market.

On to new topics, like...

:banana: